Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this dyson sphere programme looks hella rad

i got it, but so far it doesnt really offer much beyond factorio. if you arent burnt out on factorio id say give it a go tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i don't mean to be basic but i legit can't separate dyson sphere program and the vacuums - it just doesn't split for me at all and its all i can think of

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the thing that Dyson Sphere Program offers over Factorio is that it isn't made by a CHUD

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

obra dinn is the type of poo poo you have to take notes for, so I've never played it. but I heard nothing but good things

i'm glad nobody saw my notepad while i was playing it, i would have looked like a serial killer

obra dinn is extremely good, and well made, the music rules in particular

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

the thing that Dyson Sphere Program offers over Factorio is that it isn't made by a CHUD

wait what

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all your favorite authors beat their wives

all your favorite musicians are sex criminals

you must be able to separate the artist from the art or you will never enjoy any art again.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

you must be able to separate the artist from the art or you will never enjoy any art again.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

this dyson sphere programme looks hella rad

its fun but its no factorio

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

satisfactory is the one to play

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kiryu chan

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Running into him across the city is probably one of the best parts of kiwami.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

the new hitman games are quite good imo. especially if you turn off the waypoints and resist the urge to save scum

i have mixed feelings about the waypoints

blood money had some fantastic "mission story" type things* but they had to keep them relatively simple so that people could discover them without need ing a bunch of hints. some of the mission stories in the new hitman games are so long and non-obvious that I doubt I'd have figured them out without the waypoints helping me out.

* in the Curtains Down level in Blood Money, listening to the slow breathing with the sniper scope up while waiting patiently for the exact note in the opera so that you can pull off the perfect hit is the series high point IMO.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 28, 2022

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

outer wilds update: i must be getting close to the end because the remaining stuff is pretty hard to pull off. for the past hour i've been trying to figure out how to get into the black hole forge and i cannot for the life of me figure it out. i'm able to raise it up to the surface, i can see where it's going, but i can't find any corresponding entrance on the other side. the only thing that kind of sorta looks like it's what i want is a blocked off warp tunnel but that has a very clearly labeled sign right above it saying it goes to the hanging city. i've even tried loving around with the white hole station hoping maybe i could teleport in somehow but no dice. i'm at the point that i want to look it up which i think is a hint that i should try something else

i've found the vessel as well. i couldn't figure out how to get past the angler fish so i just drifted past as far as i could until one of them inevitably woke up and i gunned it just like the ace pilot said he did. it was loving terrifying but i was able to make it through, somehow. the rumor chart is still saying that there's something unexplored here and it's either the busted warp thingamajig or the connect-the-dots puzzle in the bridge. both of those are pretty clear signs that i need to come back later. so now the only thing left besides those is the quantum moon* and going back to the ash twin project to gently caress around with the machine some more

*forgot to mention that i made it over to the gravity cannon by mistake while trying to get into the black hole forge. so now i know the secret to landing on that fucker. the only thing is i have no way of telling where the south pole is because i lose sight of it if i try to switch to landing mode. sooo i guess i just have to trial and error this? the first thing i'm gonna try is firing myself out of the cannon but that got me killed when i did it on the ash twin, lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I finally lucked into an rtx card and the first thing I’m gonna do is trace rays in quake

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I finally lucked into an rtx card and the first thing I’m gonna do is trace rays in quake

Did you pay close to RRP or did you have to lay down silly money? I've had

https://www.nowinstock.net/

running in a pinned tab the past few days and a fair few cards of varying brands have popped up, they are not as rare as they once were - but they are still going on double retail price. Plz crypto hurry up and collapse so the cards return to a reasonable cost.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

otoh when the game is made by one dude, buying it puts money directly in his pocket

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it was over msrp of course but not extortion money.

also it was the Newegg shuffle so you get what you get there

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
If the dev is a dick, don't download it

:yarr:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m trying to do that rn except with minecraft and mods lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Did you pay close to RRP or did you have to lay down silly money? I've had

https://www.nowinstock.net/

running in a pinned tab the past few days and a fair few cards of varying brands have popped up, they are not as rare as they once were - but they are still going on double retail price. Plz crypto hurry up and collapse so the cards return to a reasonable cost.

there was a video the other day on the channel which shall not be named where they posit that the prices will never return to normal.

the rtx 2xxx cards jumped bigly in price and that was pre-pandemic and pre-crypto boom for the most part.

you could get a new 1080ti for $699 msrp and the 2080ti was way over that.

we may never go back to the days of xx80ti cards for under a grand.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Obra Dinn is fun, I didn't use a notebook. The game kinda takes notes for you

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

there was a video the other day on the channel which shall not be named where they posit that the prices will never return to normal.

the rtx 2xxx cards jumped bigly in price and that was pre-pandemic and pre-crypto boom for the most part.

you could get a new 1080ti for $699 msrp and the 2080ti was way over that.

we may never go back to the days of xx80ti cards for under a grand.

I just spent $1500 on a 3080ti ftw3 to hopefully last 8 years like my 1070ftw did because I was extremely worried that the 4080ti would be $2,000

and by just spent i mean I actively hunted for 8 months and managed to snag it in a Best Buy drop

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

btw I am still in the EVGA queue for the same card if any of you fine folks would like it when my number is called

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

there are no 3080s available in canada and 3080tis start at $2600 lmao

my 1080ti better last until the fuckin bombs fall

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
everyone is going to have to skip playing quake2 raytrace I'm shocked at this gpu shortage

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a 1070ti from years back and I've been hoping it can just last till I die I guess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nearly a year ago i paid $150 over MSRP for a 3070 to that scalper goon that got banned, and it looks like today that would still be good deal. lmao

SmokaDustbowl posted:

everyone is going to have to skip playing quake2 raytrace I'm shocked at this gpu shortage

miss me with q2rt and set me up with ut99rt please.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

miss me with q2rt and set me up with ut99rt please.

I can't anymore, I've played too much CS

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i just picked up the xcom game i was never really interested in on sale, chimera squad, for cheap. it's pretty fun so far! just a different kinda focus for an xcom game

which reminded me of the classic meme

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/X7_SPIRITR224/status/1486592411426246659?s=20&t=gtQ7TgEWdXlOAHPszcPW6A

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when I did msp work nearly every one of our auto body shop clients had a couple of mice like that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

SON OF A BITCH

after hitting brick walls with the twin planets over and over i suddenly remembered that i still hadn't gone within the gas giant or even found the observation center. easy enough so i start working on that. after a bit of jumping / meandering around i finally found the observation center and learned the secret of the gas giant. excellent. let's head there and find out what's down there. well if it isn't our friend quantum moon again? i try firing a scout at it and snapping photos as i approach as maybe that will lock it in place. it does. that's total bullshit because three times before i just flew straight at it while looking at it and went straight through. honestly this was the first time the game bugged me because i didn't solve the problem the 'right' way but whatever. i spend the next who knows how many minutes trying to figure out the puzzle until it finally 'clicks' for me and i realize what i have to do. i gently caress it up like three times because i keep turning on/off my flashlight or opening/closing the door in the wrong order. but i finally get through and start wandering around HOLY poo poo

HOLY poo poo THERE'S ONE STILL ALIVE

NO DON'T START PLAYING THE GAME OVER MUSIC YOU HAVE TO BE loving KIDDING ME

NO

NO NO NO AGGH :cthulhu: :supaburn:

so i'm about to go back so i can actually find out what their deal is. god damnit i need to go to bed but i can't put it down here

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PIZZA.BAT posted:

SON OF A BITCH

after hitting brick walls with the twin planets over and over i suddenly remembered that i still hadn't gone within the gas giant or even found the observation center. easy enough so i start working on that. after a bit of jumping / meandering around i finally found the observation center and learned the secret of the gas giant. excellent. let's head there and find out what's down there. well if it isn't our friend quantum moon again? i try firing a scout at it and snapping photos as i approach as maybe that will lock it in place. it does. that's total bullshit because three times before i just flew straight at it while looking at it and went straight through. honestly this was the first time the game bugged me because i didn't solve the problem the 'right' way but whatever. i spend the next who knows how many minutes trying to figure out the puzzle until it finally 'clicks' for me and i realize what i have to do. i gently caress it up like three times because i keep turning on/off my flashlight or opening/closing the door in the wrong order. but i finally get through and start wandering around HOLY poo poo

HOLY poo poo THERE'S ONE STILL ALIVE

NO DON'T START PLAYING THE GAME OVER MUSIC YOU HAVE TO BE loving KIDDING ME

NO

NO NO NO AGGH :cthulhu: :supaburn:

so i'm about to go back so i can actually find out what their deal is. god damnit i need to go to bed but i can't put it down here

"Bug" commentary IIRC the cloud cover counts as not being able to observe the planet as a whole for some reason. This is because you can see the "totality" of the quantum moon, but as soon as you lose that perspective and can't see a part of the moon, it is allowed to move.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah there's some sort of thematic explanation for why that happens

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i kinda agree

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

alright follow up: i guess i'm kind of glad i had bad timing there because she had a lot to say. at first i was just using the two orange stones to have her describe the other blue stones and once i was done i decided to be a dick and see what she'd do if i put up both orange stones. man. this loving game. of course they thought of that

so after i reset time and read the notes in my ship i realized i still don't know what to do with the quantum forge or the ash twin project lmao. so i guess i have no choice but to throw myself deep underwater tomorrow. i like going back there at least because the astronaut there at least gets new dialogue options as you progress. i'm kind of bummed they don't let you ask new questions to the guys running the museum at least but i can see how they'd be opening up a huge can of worms by allowing it

i'm assuming i'm getting closer to the end and hoping they don't send me on a bullshit fetch quest like subnautica did. i guess we'll find out soon enough (maybe?)

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i have no idea if this is what they intend you to do but i noticed that the ceiling around the black hole forge is covered in gravity tiles. if i still don't know how to get in after diving underneath the gas giant i'm gonna start trying silly stuff. my only idea right now is flying my ship into the mantle and trying to get it to stick there. no clue if it'll be strong enough but i'm throwing poo poo at the wall at this point

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i kinda agree

no yakuza, but butcher bay is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

i kinda agree

I really feel like 2004 was an inflection point in video game graphics where a lot of these games still probably look decent today with the ultra high settings, but maybe thats because i was in college at the time and they look "good enough" to me, I'd be curious to see what a teenager thought about it

It's probably because by this point a dedicated video card was an absolute must