Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pretty sick to see him go back with those filled out arsenals and obliterate those earlier stages.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

After putting a few options to a bracketed vote, Magnus has decided on his next few no-damage runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s7W1HBvwvw

It's going to be ZX as Model PX, running simultaneously with X2 Weapon Master because it was dead on 50-50 between them for so long, then Zero 2 after those are both done.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Dabir posted:

After putting a few options to a bracketed vote, Magnus has decided on his next few no-damage runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s7W1HBvwvw

It's going to be ZX as Model PX, running simultaneously with X2 Weapon Master because it was dead on 50-50 between them for so long, then Zero 2 after those are both done.

I'm curious about the X2 run since so many weapons in that game are slow or weak.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
PX was my least favorite armor, and I remember having trouble finding much use for it in either game aside from it's designated platforming sections and the couple bosses without invincibility frames.

So I am 100% ready to learn what it can actually accomplish.

...is it really necessarily to spoil this?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just a reminder because of how little advertisement it got, but Copenvolt 2 is out the day after tomorrow. Steam also has Cogen coming out tomorrow which looks like it could be a neat game (sword based platformer with time rewinding) which also has a crossover with Copenvolt 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chumbler posted:

Just a reminder because of how little advertisement it got, but Copenvolt 2 is out the day after tomorrow. Steam also has Cogen coming out tomorrow which looks like it could be a neat game (sword based platformer with time rewinding) which also has a crossover with Copenvolt 2.

The new mechanics might take some getting used to but I’m looking forward to iX2 honestly (and the English voice acting doesn’t sound nearly as bad as I was expecting). Odd that Gunvolt 3 still hasn’t gotten a proper release date yet though.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Not going to lie, I'd take a lot more iX games over a Gunvolt 3

Tried so hard to get into the Gunvolt games but I just cannot bring myself to like the way the tag mechanics work there and I like Copen's maneuverability too much

edit: loving hell, watched the old gunvolt 3 trailer for the first time and they just straight gave him Copen's dash lmao

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 26, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So anybody give iX2 a try yet? If so, what do you think?

Also two questions:

1: Since Bulitts are gone what’s the new battle system like and is Pervasion still a thing?

2: How’s the English voice acting (and is there an option to switch over to Japanese if preferred)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 27, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s throwing me off not having a gun in Copen 2. And no Pervasion means I have to watch where I’m dashing now, the horror. You can heal anytime which seems cheap so I’m going to use it sparingly. Only played the intro stage but I’m having fun

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

It’s throwing me off not having a gun in Copen 2. And no Pervasion means I have to watch where I’m dashing now, the horror. You can heal anytime which seems cheap so I’m going to use it sparingly. Only played the intro stage but I’m having fun

No gun? What does he use instead then?

Also as the first Gunvolt related game with English voice acting, what do you think of it?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He has this chainsaw sword and you have a three hit combo like in MMZ, the enemies even get cut in half when you use it like in Zero it’s kinda neat. Maybe you can switch to the gun but I only played for fifteen minutes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

He has this chainsaw sword and you have a three hit combo like in MMZ, the enemies even get cut in half when you use it like in Zero it’s kinda neat. Maybe you can switch to the gun but I only played for fifteen minutes

You do have a homing attack at least if you hold the fire button down after locking onto an enemy.

Anyway, game seems alright so far. The loss of Pervasion is going to take some getting used to (though I guess having unlimited healing sort of makes up for it) and it’s weird you can only lock onto enemies now when you’re in mid air.

Anthem is also still present and works identical to how it did in the last two games (unlimited Bulit Dashing)

English voices are better than I expected but the option to switch over to Japanese is still available if you prefer.

Edit: Apparently you CAN lock onto enemies while on the ground but you have to buy an upgrade to do so for some reason.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 27, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

The thing that is tripping me up with the chain saw is that it seems you have to be pretty deliberate in the button presses and timing for the 3 hit combo; I caught myself mashing like normal, but Copen usually just keeps holding the saw out

The English voice acting is.. eh; serviceable on average but some voices are much, much better than others

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechaX posted:

The thing that is tripping me up with the chain saw is that it seems you have to be pretty deliberate in the button presses and timing for the 3 hit combo; I caught myself mashing like normal, but Copen usually just keeps holding the saw out

The English voice acting is.. eh; serviceable on average but some voices are much, much better than others

It’s way better than the dub of the Gunvolt OVA at any rate

As for the first point, there is apparently an upgrade you can buy that lets Copen shoot the chainsaw forward as a projectile

Also just like the first iX, there isn’t a lot of chatter during missions/boss fights aside from a few comments from Lola here and there (additionally, checkpoints heal you as well but there don’t appear to be any actual health recovery items dropped by enemies anymore)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So anybody figure out any boss weaknesses yet? I assume the Bee Woman in the jungle area is weak to Doomsday Charge but she never really stays in a good spot where you can hit her with it (unless you can aim said weapon and I didn’t realize it that is)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

On one hand, I can definitely see what they're going for with some of these changes, making being in Overdrive more of a reward and incentivizing skipping cashing out for the combo, damage, and mobility increase, with Healing being an optional cash-in anytime for a top off. But on the other, I definitely still prefer the bullit system, and normal mode feels really sluggish and kinda jank now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

On one hand, I can definitely see what they're going for with some of these changes, making being in Overdrive more of a reward and incentivizing skipping cashing out for the combo, damage, and mobility increase, with Healing being an optional cash-in anytime for a top off. But on the other, I definitely still prefer the bullit system, and normal mode feels really sluggish and kinda jank now.

Yeah, I’ve forgotten said system was missing and instinctively tapped down on the d-pad to reload more than once now. It takes some getting used to, that’s for sure.

Also all the returning characters sound about like how I imagined them to in English (though I was expecting Lola to be slightly higher pitched)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 27, 2022

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Welp, after beating Luminous Avenger Ix 2, I gotta say the game is not good. The story was vague at best and failed to ever give a reason to care about anything happening at all beyond 'new robot girl cute, go help'. None of the villains had any time to develop their motivations, leaving a bunch of cardboard cutouts to be knocked down by Zero Cyborg Copen all the way to the end. final boss included.

The gameplay changes feel jank as all hell and encourage a very boring 'path of least resistance' to every boss that is just 'Lock-on, hold Y till last hitpoint, then kill with skill'. The weapons in the game are either pointless to use, do not function properly unless locked on, or literally just shoot forward. Levels are either big boring boxes you can easily fly over, or tight corridors you just facetank through.

The kudos system is also boring, with everything other than your standard gun not giving points thus making special weapons even more useless because Overdrive is both completely overpowered and where all the fun movement options unlock. So the player is actively encouraged to treat checkpoints as literal traps even if they aren't trying to go for high scores.

Also the overdrive system replaces all music with random j-pop songs once activated, so you can only hear the area and boss themes if you actively hobble yourself.

All in all, would not recommend unless its on a big sale.

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 28, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The last two points are true of basically every Gunvolt related game but I see where you’re coming from on most of that (though I’ve been enjoying it for the most part myself once I got the hang of things), especially the EX Weapons as thus far I’ve found the ones from Gunvolt 2 and the first iX to be a lot more useful overall.

Also some boss weaknesses if anyone needs them:

Ypsilon: Optic Barrier
Vespa: Anchor Nexus, Optic Barrier
Dacite: Whirling Chopper
Hail: Doomsday Charge
Ace: Cryo Flash
Brigade: Rolling Ripper
Autochrome: Gatling Blitz

Not sure about the bosses in the final areas though, anybody have any info on that?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 28, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

So anybody figure out any boss weaknesses yet? I assume the Bee Woman in the jungle area is weak to Doomsday Charge but she never really stays in a good spot where you can hit her with it (unless you can aim said weapon and I didn’t realize it that is)

Vespa is weak to Copen's starting weapon, the one that lets him lock on and charge.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

The last two points are true of basically every Gunvolt related game but I see where you’re coming from on most of that (though I’ve been enjoying it for the most part myself once I got the hang of things), especially the EX Weapons as thus far I’ve found the ones from Gunvolt 2 and the first iX to be a lot more useful overall.

Also some boss weaknesses if anyone needs them:

Ypsilon: Optic Barrier
Vespa: Anchor Nexus, Optic Barrier
Dacite: Whirling Chopper
Hail: Doomsday Charge
Ace: Cryo Flash
Brigade: Rolling Ripper
Autochrome: Gatling Blitz

Not sure about the bosses in the final areas though, anybody have any info on that?

final boss is Whirling Chopper, then second form is Gatling Blitz.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly I'm not sure what parts of this wouldn't apply to the series writ large, just with overdrive being less powerful because your base form has 90% of its stuff as is, and stuff like prevasion and the bit barrier existing.

Also, for all my bellyaching about normal mode earlier, kinda realizing that I was playing things wrong, and figuring out quick razor was just a 'kill another enemy with your ground combo shortly after killing the last', it really smoothed out for me. It's not about bouncing around and prioritizing aerial kills like iX and gunvolt, it's more 'play fast and grounded, dashing and slashing for the repeated +30 chain until you get to overdrive, then switching to a more aerial focused playstyle for aerial chains'.

Definitely feeling the game a lot more with that in mind, playing it as sort of a hybrid.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah the overdrive/J-Pop music thing has been a thing since Gunvolt 1; for better or for worse, stuff like that and Kudos are kind of here to stay for this series

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently there’s an unlockable hard mode found in the second fortress stage, completing this will unlock the game’s true ending (there’s also a bad ending you can get if you wait a few minutes after beating the last boss instead of saving Kohaku: https://youtube.com/watch?v=uAZdlFUlmA0 )

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 29, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Definitely going to plug at the hard mode because the normal ending.. well… it is technically a happy ending for copen’s crew but it glosses over a lot plus you accidentally killed what remaining life there was on that planet by taking down mother

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechaX posted:

Definitely going to plug at the hard mode because the normal ending.. well… it is technically a happy ending for copen’s crew but it glosses over a lot plus you accidentally killed what remaining life there was on that planet by taking down mother

Here’s a description of Hard Mode from the wiki, also it apparently takes some more work to unlock than I previously stated:

quote:

After collecting all emblems in all stages, a hidden passageway in the right wall of the last pit of the final stage Hanging Gardens 2 becomes accessible. Entering it will unlock Hard Mode, which can be accessed from the title screen and has its own save files.

In Hard Mode, Copen is locked to level 1 (ie only 200 HP), has limited lives that when depleted will result in the stage being started over from the beginning, far shorter invincibility frames after being hit, all subroutines are disabled, Lola's Healing Mode is disabled, kudos are lost upon being hit like in the old Fearless setting, bosses have upgraded attack patterns and different weaknesses. The game's true ending is locked behind Hard Mode.

No footage of the true ending has surfaced on YouTube yet last I checked

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

That all sounds like something I’d be pretty enthused to play with iX 1 Copen, but iX 2 Copen? Maaaaaan I dunno, some of the boss patterns seem insanely hard to dodge and do a lot of damage with the way Copen plays now normally

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MechaX posted:

That all sounds like something I’d be pretty enthused to play with iX 1 Copen, but iX 2 Copen? Maaaaaan I dunno, some of the boss patterns seem insanely hard to dodge and do a lot of damage with the way Copen plays now normally

Yeah, I don’t think I’ll be touching that one personally as I’m nowhere near good enough to survive under those conditions. I guess I’ll just wait until someone uploads the other ending to YouTube then.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All of Inti's solo projects give off a strong vibe of wanting to make more MMZ but being too insecure to just make their own Zero. They're visibly constrained by having to overcomplicate the process of fighting enemies, just so that their protagonist isn't Simple Gun Man or Cool Sword Man.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They introduced a girl Zero in Copen 1 just give her a spin-off

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

They introduced a girl Zero in Copen 1 just give her a spin-off

The second playable character in Gunvolt 3 is apparently a girl with a sword so that’s close at least (also, the game is apparently now confirmed for summer of this year).

Speaking of, I’m curious if they’re going to do English voice acting for that one as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 28, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Dabir posted:

All of Inti's solo projects give off a strong vibe of wanting to make more MMZ but being too insecure to just make their own Zero. They're visibly constrained by having to overcomplicate the process of fighting enemies, just so that their protagonist isn't Simple Gun Man or Cool Sword Man.

I felt like iX 1 kinda did this right; yeah you’re still Brooding White & Pink Mega Man X but this time your maneuverability has skyrocketed

Unawakened Copen in iX 2 plays like a poor man’s Falcon Armor X+Zero combo and doesn’t really excel well in either category

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, iX2 was fine for the most part but I feel like they kind of nerfed Copen a bit too much in terms of maneuverability (not sure why they took away his gun either).

Also the EX weapons this time mostly seem situationally useful at best (compared to stuff like Hydro Zapper and Orbital Edge which basically became my primary weapon after a while), the homing shot is generally far better for normal combat than any of them (Cryo Flash and Optic Barrier aren’t too bad though and Doomsday Charge is a decent way to deal with annoying enemies without having to risk damage by tagging them with a dash)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 28, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

where the gently caress did copen 2 even come from, I heard nothing about it until literally now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

where the gently caress did copen 2 even come from, I heard nothing about it until literally now

It was announced a little while back and couple trailers were posted in this thread but yeah, it was kind of announced pretty suddenly (I’m guessing they were working on this and Gunvolt 3 simultaneously then)

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008

MechaX posted:

Maaaaaan I dunno, some of the boss patterns seem insanely hard to dodge and do a lot of damage with the way Copen plays now normally

Agreed. I’ve only played through the Volcano and Jungle so far, but that jungle mini boss rock golem fellow, I really have no idea how you get away from his spinning arm tornado move. Between his body, hands, and whirlwind he takes up the entire screen.

Aside from that, I generally feel the same way about this as I do every other Gunvolt; it looks great, and is fun enough in general, but I feel like I’m playing some kind of Mega Man/Sonic the Hedgehog mix where the game wants me to go super fast but the screen is too zoomed in to make informed decisions for dashing, the stages are artistically interesting but are usually just boxes and hallways, and the bosses are close-but-not-quite-there.

I feel like a doofus speaking so vaguely but this is a hard series to really pin down for me. I don’t regret buying or playing them though, at least! And I’ll never say no to silly j-pop anthem power ups.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
wanna see a madman play 45 megamans at once?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPZDbSkaHpc

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

wanna see a madman play 45 megamans at once?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPZDbSkaHpc

Was genuinely hoping this would be a live version of those TAS videos where the same input in simultaneously fed to a bunch of emulator instances

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Dabir posted:

Was there ever a stated reason that the ZX games stopped development, or was it a casualty of the Inafune purge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I think they just didn't sell that many copies.