Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I would definitely post accidental space spy after hfd I thought my ADHD would allow a daily schedule. Maybe I'll try anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Whoever posts Trixie, I'll post The Accidental Space Spy

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'll post Lies, Sisters and Wives.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That just leaves Brain Chip and we can post all of them at once, making everything very confusing to follow.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Should we post the one where thorsby attempts to derive homosexuality from first principles

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
post them all at once, one page at a time, in the same post

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hold on you guys there's only 160 pages or so of HfD left, let's finish that before posting more stuff

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

By popular demand posted:

Hold on you guys there's only 160 pages or so of HfD left, let's finish that before posting more stuff

Counterpoint:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

Counterpoint:

lmfao

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Empty Sandwich posted:

brief hup note: a few years ago, a friend of mine on the fb misremembered the macro on this picture, "recreated" it herself, started a tag group, and accidentally started a capybara meme microtrend

well, that's my story. god bless

Wait. Your friend invented the capybara "hup" thing? Am I reading that right? Huge if true.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

World Famous W posted:

I know I use "I love" a lot with thorsby comics, but I love that Anette stopped herself from saying ghosts to save herself from hearing from Lostclock

also, love lazy fearmancer

I thought it was to avoid the obvious "Caspar the (un)friendly ghost" joke

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
¿hup?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tree Bucket posted:

Wait. Your friend invented the capybara "hup" thing? Am I reading that right? Huge if true.

I imagine it sounds insane, but yeah. just someone I know through weird-meme Facebook.

I'll double check with her to make sure I'm not misremembering

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Lostclock’s fear should have been ghosts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Why would he be afraid of something that doesn't exist?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Lostclock would have harsh words for anyone stupid enough to be scared of ghosts.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
We don't really know how helpful gay stone age uncles were

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

maybe his fear coudl be believing in ghosts, the anger is just bluster to cover for it

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Lostclock's worst fear should have been that ghosts exist. So Gropius would have to make them exist.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Makai no Ossan (read right to left)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nothing personnel.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Grandma Duck is Donald's grandmother and variably either Scrooge's sister or aunt-in-law, depending on the author's whims. She is the Duck family matriarch and even Scrooge respects her authority.

Barks-Rosa canon says aunt-in-law making him Donald's uncle, so that is what most current authors follow.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

projecthalaxy posted:

Counterpoint:

'correct' doing a lot of lifting here

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

projecthalaxy posted:

Counterpoint:

loving hell

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

John Lee posted:

'correct' doing a lot of lifting here

You might enjoy this small preview of coming attractions!

We love Thorsby and his wacky biotruths don't we folks!

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I kinda do, it gives the vibe of a guy whos opinion on gay people is perfectly neutral but is curious about how such a thing could come to exist and tries to figure it out. Since he has very little cultural connection to the scientific bigotry of America and Britain he doesn't really see why anyone would have a problem with someone trying to figure out how it's possible for non-reproductive genetics to carry on through a population which has assumedly no social bigotry against the idea of homosexuality nor any interest in reproductive control, both positive or negative (cave men/stone age).

Mafic Rhyolite has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Jan 28, 2022

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
The problem is obviously that humans are formed through environment and experience as well as genetics and probably most humans would be bisexual to some degree and maybe not super attached to ideas of gender orientation in absence of culture or social standards entirely, but he's a subject of liberalism as are we all.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, I can get being wary of “Here’s my theory of how homosexuality would have evolved”, since 99% of evopsych stuff like that is just a way to try to repackage right wing prejudice, but Thorsby’s thing is the 1% that’s actually made in good-faith and doesn’t have any homophobia or anything. As bad as the premise sounds if you read it I don’t think it actually reflects badly on him.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
As a real-life gay (well, bi) uncle, I hereby wave my fairy wand and give you all permission to like Thorsby again

:nyan:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

drat horror queefs posted:

As a real-life gay (well, bi) uncle, I hereby wave my fairy wand and give you all permission to like Thorsby again

:nyan:

real-life bi uncle is a pretty good username

not as good as drat horror queefs, to be sure

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've said before that the funniest thing about Thorsby's biotruth digressions is that they're obviously *wrong* but it's not entirely trivial to explain *why*.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
Jesus christ people, here's a truth for you: whatever come out of a fictional character's mouth isn't necessarily a reflection of the writer's opinion.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yah it seems benign and completely wrong which is an impressive combination when talking about why gay

Mr Havafap posted:

Jesus christ people, here's a truth for you: whatever come out of a fictional character's mouth isn't necessarily a reflection of the writer's opinion.

lol you're not familiar with this one, that's ok

Peanut Butler has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Jan 28, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

For the record, I'm not saying he's wrong or he's right, i know far too little about both genetics and being gay to do so

I just think its interesting that he decided to take the same lens he usually turns to the Barbleflax Beast of Wordlecon 3 to the world of human sexuality. It's a bold move

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
IMO he (we agree Thorsby is a 60 plus year old professor type with a super long beard) is riffing on the grandmother hypothesis.
An equally engaging just-so theory that is just as unprovable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mr Havafap posted:

IMO he (we agree Thorsby is a 60 plus year old professor type with a super long beard) is riffing on the grandmother hypothesis.
An equally engaging just-so theory that is just as unprovable.

Oh lol, that makes it a lot more understandable, I assumed it was a random goof explanation.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Tendales posted:

I've said before that the funniest thing about Thorsby's biotruth digressions is that they're obviously *wrong* but it's not entirely trivial to explain *why*.

I could do that! I am both a non-reproductive gay uncle and I have a PhD in genetics. What other people have said is true: this looks like the rare case of a biotruths guy approaching the subject in actual good faith. Bizarre to learn such a thing is possible really.

So thorsbys analysis is actually pretty spot on if you were trying to consider homosexuality as a single-gene trait. It works just as well if you abstract the concept to any altruistic kin-selection single gene trait. Which is why those are basically never found in nature.

The many reasons thorsby is wrong include:

Sexuality is trivially not a single-gene trait. Behavior traits are notoriously polygenic. That means the adaptive value of the trait has to be considered based on its actual contribution to survival and reproduction, which we can speculate about but would need to be actually empirically tested.

Even if it was single-gene, the assumption that homosexuals are necessarily childless, especially in a premodern context, is way off, which throws his whole simplistic probability analysis out the window on its own. This is probably the main problem with his analysis, since homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom is quite widespread, but exclusive homosexuality to the point that it impacts reproduction is rarer. In humans, social effects complicates analysis, but we can look at the history of human homosexuality and you do tend to see much more bisexuality as well as homosexuals that still have children. Childless gold-star gays like myself appears to be a relative historical rarity.

He also ignores non-reproductive roles of sex. Close relative Bonobo chimps famously use bisexual sex as a social cohesion tool, and only do it for reproduction about 25% of the time. It seems more likely that homosexual behavior in humans is retained as an adaptive helpful social trait than that it's a maladaptive trait retained for kin selection or sexual antagonism purposes. That's just one gay geneticists opinion of course but thorsby missed the idea completely.

Meanwhile, thorsbys "correct theory" is actually much closer to plausible. You guys were laughing at his drawing of the pregnant woman "unknowingly doing something" to the foetus, but he's probably on to something. Exposure to sex hormones in the womb, both those originating from the foetus and those originating from the mother, are basically THE determinant of sexuality and sexual identity. Once you're out of the womb, you're basically done and there's gently caress all evidence that anything society can do can change you. But at least some of the effect is likely to come from the mother, because there's the birth order effect where if a male child gestates in a womb that has housed a male child before, he's up to 50% more likely to be gay. It's a pretty well replicated effect and it works for test tube babies too so it's definitely coming from the mother.

By the way, the modern way to look for genetic influences on complex traits is to do a GWAS, and the biggest ever study on human homosexuality came out in 2019. They identified variations in 5 genes related to sex hormone regulation that account for 8-25% of the variation of human same-sexuality. That's big numbers for a GWAS. That number is also probably an underestimate because it relies on self-reported same sex behavior. There's no way you're getting a genetic effect that large on a trait that's been around so long without it having some adaptive value, in my opinion anyway.

Tldr: thorsbys single-gene model is wrong as gently caress but there are definitely both genes that make you gay, and maternal womb effects that make you gay, and it's pretty likely that the trait is adaptive even if it would be tricky/impossible to be certain of exactly why.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You know anything about the prevalence of various alleles of those genes in the population? I know that there's some work on genes associated with autistic traits that claims they're a little too common to be selected against, and I wonder if there's a similar analysis here.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
y'all are gonna hate thorsbys "the bell curve but with elves and hobbits factored in"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Fagtastic posted:

The many reasons thorsby is wrong include:
(...)
Tldr: thorsbys single-gene model is wrong as gently caress
I know comics are better if you ignore the last panel, but maybe give it a read this time.