Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

alexandriao posted:

not agreeing, but on the same general subject, something that I do miss is voices with singing power -- it seems to have gone out of fashion?

Like, the 1980s, most woman singers I can think of in pop had kinda slightly deep, powerful voices, and a careful use of vibrato

And I am kind of just sad that we do not have more of that in the mainstream in general

some of the biggest women singers in pop of the 80s were not really given to power. annie lennox, for example, can belt decently, but she's at her most sensitive and expressive when she's barely whispering. she's been much more restrained with her voice since she had vocal cord surgery and it's just a delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Internet Janitor posted:

tell me you've never worked on software with legal or ethical consequences for bugs without telling me you've never worked on software with legal or ethical consequences for bugs

you think they care about ethical consequences?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

alexandriao posted:

And I am kind of just sad that we do not have more of that in the mainstream in general

are St. Vincent and Dua Lipa mainstream?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ultravoices posted:

some of the biggest women singers in pop of the 80s were not really given to power. annie lennox, for example, can belt decently, but she's at her most sensitive and expressive when she's barely whispering. she's been much more restrained with her voice since she had vocal cord surgery and it's just a delight.

does adele count in this category? amy winehouse? there are probably others too but idk a lot about what happens in mainstream

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
there are a lot of major artists who belt from time to time. if they belt on every song they probably have an over-the-top dramatic style, like florence or sia. adele and beyonce can kick it up but also sing a lot of softer stuff

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

quote:

OP is an SEO company. Wasting human energy is what they do.

The Rare Good HN Post

mystes
May 31, 2006

Show HN: I reduced my shower time from 30 minutes to 5 with an app I built

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo these people are even more broken than i thought

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

mystes posted:

show'r

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

mystes posted:

30 minute showers!?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ryde posted:

30 minute showers!?
They needed an app with timers to tell them when to move on to each step of showering

Actually it's a bit unusual but it seems like this person may not be a professional computer toucher or a regular HN poster so I'm not sure I should have posted this (I was thinking along the lines of "lol do HN posters really need an app to optimize their shower for maximum efficiency" but that doesn't really seem to be the situation here)

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 28, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

holy poo poo these people are even more broken than i thought
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-my-daughter-and-wife-take-40-minute-showers-I-take-less-than-5-minutes-Should-I-tell-them-to-use-less-water

Calypso Marie Wilson posted:

I sometimes take up to two hours(3 if I’m washing my hair) to shower. I have no idea why. It’s not something I control, your wife and daughter probably can’t either so even if you do it won’t do anything. Give them a timer that’ll ring every 5 mins to remind them to hurry up/get out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

After around 15 minutes just take a bath imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

aint nobody taking a 90 minute shower, they're doing other poo poo for 90 minutes with the water on

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

they're doing other poo poo for 90 minutes with the water on

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that's gotta be tankless water heating, right? wouldn't a normal hot water heater run out after long enough?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

unless theres some wacky poo poo i dont understand about hot water heaters, at low enough throughput you dont run out of hot water

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

unless theres some wacky poo poo i dont understand about hot water heaters, at low enough throughput you dont run out of hot water
I don't have a gigabit water heater

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

I don't have a gigabit water heater

gotta upgrade

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

make sure you got at least cat5e piping all the way to the shower

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

if you want to live dangerously, turn up the heat a few degrees that way you can mix it with more cold water and it'll last longer

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have household on-demand hot water

it just goes forever if you let it

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

they’ve for 30 years had thermostatic mixing valves you can install right on the outlet of your water heater so you can crank the tank temperature to the max 160 and still deliver non scalding water to fixtures

it’s not hard to do either. if you can install a video card in your pc you can install a “tank saver”

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
thermostatic valves are de facto required here in australia, if you have a hot water tank it has to be kept above 60C (to stop Legionnaires' disease) but bathroom fittings aren't allowed to deliver hot water above 50C.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

peakaboo 2 minutes ago | undown | root | parent | next [–]

I know this is the classic thinking about these things. But working in a company where they keep bringing in new employees that are rude (the "strong woman" template), it has given me something to think about.
It's just not a given that reducing out-groups makes a company culture better. It can make it worse to include those groups sometimes. It's just hard to know before.
But it's morally right to not exclude people so I'm of course supporting that. Just saying it may not be a sign of a good culture even though we may think it is.

peakaboo 3 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Doing too much work on one's own before looping in...

Completely agree with this, and this is why I simply don't loop in others.
I wrote a program the way I think it should be. Clean code, super easy to understand, super low complexity. Anyone can understand what it does.
Thats fun for me, when the code is very simple, reads like English and there are no complex functions.
I don't do real software engineering however (just business intelligence and python programs to extract and load data). But when it comes to looping in colleagues, I avoid it for the same reasons as above.
Its exhausting.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

donkeyd 21 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Bridge collapse in Pittsburgh’s Frick Park

This seems like an easy excuse for what happened here. If you can't maintain those 450 bridges, then don't keep 450 bridges. Remove 150 of them and maintain the other 300. You can't just ignore 450 bridges and hope nothing goes wrong because you can't afford to maintain 450 bridges.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

donkeyd 21 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Bridge collapse in Pittsburgh’s Frick Park

This seems like an easy excuse for what happened here. If you can't maintain those 450 bridges, then don't keep 450 bridges. Remove 150 of them and maintain the other 300. You can't just ignore 450 bridges and hope nothing goes wrong because you can't afford to maintain 450 bridges.

i just heard someone yelling “bing bong so simple” in the toilet and wtf there are no other people in this apartment so it must have been an auditory illusion brought on by a mini stroke triggered by this post

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

fritz posted:

peakaboo 2 minutes ago | undown | root | parent | next [–]

I know this is the classic thinking about these things. But working in a company where they keep bringing in new employees that are rude (the "strong woman" template), it has given me something to think about.
It's just not a given that reducing out-groups makes a company culture better. It can make it worse to include those groups sometimes. It's just hard to know before.
But it's morally right to not exclude people so I'm of course supporting that. Just saying it may not be a sign of a good culture even though we may

gdy 1 hour ago | root | parent | prev [–]

Another way to tell that someone is rotten on the inside is the use of the 'goatfucker' slur to refer to zoo-sexual people.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
if he thinks that's bad, wait til he hears what the goat's been calling him

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

quote:

ajkdhcb2 38 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

I hate talking on the phone. I'd rather pay a huge price markup than have to do that.

Delivery works so well in my area that i just make some taps on my phone and food arrives at my door with no human contact. Incomparable experience compared to talking on the phone and then going out and picking it up.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

quote:

MattGaiser 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

That is the happy path. It has a lot more possible sources of error/time consumption than the app and there are many benefits to the app.

1. The line is busy. The app is next to never busy.

2. The line has static and you are not heard correctly. Especially problematic for delivery or complicated orders. Or they may get your name wrong. My first name is common and my last isn't great over the telephone.

3. You have to remember what you ordered each time. Apps let me quickly re-order.

4. You cannot easily pre-pay (irrelevant if you have cash, but if you are like me and wish to never use cash again, having to pull out the card is annoying rather than just grabbing the pizza).

5. Most places now seem to be on DoorDash, so you can just order from there and avoid the additional friction. You also know you can get excellent customer service from DoorDash while a new restaurant is an unknown.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
maybe i'm the weirdo but i don't have any problem using a telephone, paying cash on delivery, or showing up to pick up food

i only know one person irl who would opt to find a restaurant with online ordering than make a phone call, she was an ex from ~12 years ago who also drove with both feet so i feel like i'm not the weird one here

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
ok one more bc it made me lol

quote:

jdavis703 21 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

And how does he pay for the pizza? Cash? Check (do they even take checks these days?)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

maybe i'm the weirdo but i don't have any problem using a telephone, paying cash on delivery, or showing up to pick up food

i only know one person irl who would opt to find a restaurant with online ordering than make a phone call, she was an ex from ~12 years ago who also drove with both feet so i feel like i'm not the weird one here

do you only know like 5 people irl? preferring online ordering over phone calls isn't uncommon at all

it's a shame all the delivery companies are parasites because other than that ordering from an app owns

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Jose Valasquez posted:

do you only know like 5 people irl?

lol yeah just about

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
online ordering and then just walking over to pick up loving rules.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
yeah nothing wrong with that, it's definitely cool and i do it too. i just think people who get dramatic about making phone calls are a little weird

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

as a product of nclb i hate making phone calls because i don't have the rubric in front of me so if i ask a dumb question or don't have every conceivable piece of information ready i assume they will be very angry at me and will punish me in some way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

i just think people who get dramatic about making phone calls are a little weird

im one of those.

i loving hate the telephone if i cant see someone. it freaks me out. im 40, too, just nonverbal in a lot of circumstances.

I will 100% prefer to go IRL in person or via zoom/facetime for things than having to use a telephone, and it's not exactly been easy