Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

fr, I have one each of VA, IPS and TN and the 144 Hz VA is so far beyond both the 60 Hz IPS and the 144 Hz TN that it's one of those things where I can't imagine buying a panel in 2022 that isn't at least a 144 Hz VA. why even bother buying TN panels at this point?

imo IPS is better than VA because the ghosting on VA would drive me nuts, and I’m assuming that if you don’t angle secondary and tertiary monitors just right the VA panels would look washed out next to the centre monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

VA is just a kind of TN panel iirc. One of my monitors is IPS, the other is VA, and the IPS panel still looks miles better.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I tried a vertical monitor yesterday because I was curious and I am happy to say all you vertical monitor people are freaks.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

VA is just a kind of TN panel iirc. One of my monitors is IPS, the other is VA, and the IPS panel still looks miles better.

this really depends on what you need/want though, tn looks like garbage to anyone and everyone, but ips is better primarily because colors don't shift with angle. ips instead glows and loses contrast with angle (i.e. blacks get real bright gray), where pva keeps decent contrast (and tends to have better contrast in general) but get off colors at angles. which disqualifies pva (and mva) for people doing art or print or such, which tends to mean also from any "pro" designation.

for me though i use ips kind of out of habit, but in *principle* the ips glow is more annoying to me than the colors being a bit off would be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
*buys an expensive ips monitor to ensure colour accuracy*

*installs software that deliberately fucks up the colours to mimic the day-night cycle*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i love my up3017. i do applications side by side and it works out pretty well. thinkin bout gettin a U3821DW tho

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I tried a vertical monitor yesterday because I was curious and I am happy to say all you vertical monitor people are freaks.

did you forget about flared base?!!?!?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
looks like your model of monitor loses power when turned sideways, must be faulty

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

we are friends once again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jabor posted:

*installs software that deliberately fucks up the colours to mimic the day-night cycle*

I have to remind my students to watch out for this. A few times I've gotten assignments submitted with really bizarre colors, like bright purple that is supposed to be dark gray, and that's what it was.

One kid leaves the pee pee filter permanently activated, and I told him "hey you should turn that off while you're putting together your renderings" and he said "oh, it's okay, I'm used to it now" :ughh:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lmao that kid's gonna grow up to be the kind of person that would say "you have to install and use the peepee filter on your device for this product to function properly" if given the chance

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jabor posted:

that's me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mastering my new album on my aiwa bookshelf stereo with a deep V graphic eq setting because 'that has more bass'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

my aiwa bookshelf stereo

A while bac I inherited a 9" CRT tv from a guy who inherited it in college. It was a 'Broksonic." I have never heard of that brand before or since.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A while bac I inherited a 9" CRT tv from a guy who inherited it in college. It was a 'Broksonic." I have never heard of that brand before or since.

better than the panaphonics, but i'd take a sorny over it any day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

when you go real fast but then hit something and lose all the ring :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

mastering my new album on my aiwa bookshelf stereo with a deep V graphic eq setting because 'that has more bass'

some d&b producer literally did this when he was a no-good teen, right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a lot of old rear end hardcore was mixed and mastered on home stereos and poo poo yeah. not sure of any specific cases but

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I remember reading about at least one hip-hop (?) producer who says he listens to everything he makes on a lovely car stereo and a cheap boombox, because you gotta account for what most people are going to use to listen to it.

In the same vein, it's totally reasonable (albeit kind of depressing) for ux designers to make sure that their interfaces are still comprehensible with the pee pee filter cranked up to maximum

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

In the same vein, it's totally reasonable (albeit kind of depressing) for ux designers to make sure that their interfaces are still comprehensible with the pee pee filter cranked up to maximum
if you do contrast to wcag aa or aaa levels [which you should] they’ll be recognizable past those filters. the closest thing I see a lot is designers using really light [thin] faces at small size which looks ok on high res monitors but basically unreadable on pleb gear

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh it's absolutely a mark of a good producer that they listen to their tracks, _after mastering_, on all kinds of lovely stereos. You need to test it on a nice home stereo, on a set of bashed up PA speakers, on a car stereo with V EQ and also on a mono bluetooth speaker or whatever. the latter is particularly important for making sure you don't have like stereo bass phase cancellation

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

I remember reading about at least one hip-hop (?) producer who says he listens to everything he makes on a lovely car stereo and a cheap boombox, because you gotta account for what most people are going to use to listen to it.

several of my pals absolutely do the car stereo check before sending to the plant/repo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
its why every studio has a pair of ns10 lovely monitors next to the real, good monitors

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

fl.ux knows what programs I use like lightroom or blender that require colour accuracy and turn themselves off while I use them. on my extremely cheap 1080p tv that I use as a monitor.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes I wonder if the tv is too poo poo to properly “master” a photo but then I remember I like to be a positive dude so I don’t let those kinds of thoughts cloud my dreams

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I finally cleaned my office now that my basement is empty of stuff

it’s just about perfect and suits my needs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i find ips glow to be more annoying than most va ghosting these days although in fairness i don't really have any high refresh rate displays at the moment to judge what, say, a 144hz va panel looks like.

i wouldn't buy tn panels for sure but i've accumulated a few over the years and there is just a massive massive difference between some of them in quality. i have a lenovo 24" tn display from several years ago that sits next to an ips monitor and frankly about the only difference between them when i'm sitting at my desk is that the colours on the tn are a little less vibrant. i just don't do any visual editing on that display.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the only time I notice any ghosting on my 144 Hz VA panel is if the background of a webpage is heavily dithered and I'm scrolling super fast through it eg. free wheelin it through already read posts in the 'pos

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Tried turning my ultrawide monitor vertical and I like it and want a second identical one to put next to it but they don't seem to sell the curved version anymore :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
rip curves I just wanted to eat booty forever but fashions change and heroin chic was bound to come back

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

rip curves I just wanted to eat booty forever but fashions change and heroin chic was bound to come back

dont

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you can still eat rear end but you MUST talk about it. you HAVE TO post about the rear end you eat

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
broke brained: wanting to eat booty
good brained: wanting a booty others want to eat

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I can’t find it but I swear it’s real, I remember seeing a graph of “eat rear end” tweets and GI bacterial infection admittances in NYC hospitals and they were super clearly correlated lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I finally cleaned my office now that my basement is empty of stuff

it’s just about perfect and suits my needs

good mouse 100 points
insane keyboard -50 points
3 monitors and they look the same +66 points
desk is wood I like wood desks +2000 points
white cable ? modem is on the desk??? -30 points
what is that second flat mouse it looks terrible -1000 points

overall b-

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i hate that flat mouse with my life

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
how do u switch to consoles? just manually flipping the monitor inputs?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cowboy beepboop posted:

good mouse 100 points
insane keyboard -50 points
3 monitors and they look the same +66 points
desk is wood I like wood desks +2000 points
white cable ? modem is on the desk??? -30 points
what is that second flat mouse it looks terrible -1000 points

overall b-

i'd reserve judgement on the keeb in case there's some rsi prevention/accommodation there.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
eating rear end is a generational troll, like exploding poprocks and mikey dying from too much life cereal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

how do u switch to consoles? just manually flipping the monitor inputs?

yup! HDMI1 is mac, hdmi2 is ps4 on the centre monitor and wii on the right monitor and DPI is desktop :3:

Midjack posted:

i'd reserve judgement on the keeb in case there's some rsi prevention/accommodation there.

exactly what it’s for and it changed my life