Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

What's a good free crash course on Greek? Nothing more complex than "Hello. Where is __? How much is it? (I'll take it || That's too much). Thank you. Goodbye". I'm sure I could do it in English -- I've been to Mykonos on vacation before and all the shops could speak a plethora of languages -- but I'd like to be polite and use their language as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Nothing? I 'm really only interested in basic pleasantries.

When I went to Russia I had a vocabulary of maybe twenty words but the natives were tickled pink that I made an effort at all. I'd like to do the same in Greece,

Ortho fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 27, 2022

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Wouldn't Duolingo be sufficient for this purpose?

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Tosk posted:

Wouldn't Duolingo be sufficient for this purpose?
I don't know. Would it? I've never used Duolingo .

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If Greek is like any of the other Duolingo courses, then it would be sufficient for this purpose.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The Science, Academics, and Languages subforum is probably a better fit for the question. Their Greek thread is about Classical Greek, but you could ask in the small questions / chat thread

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
I took a year of modern Greek. It's a pretty awesome language.

First, you'll obviously need to learn the alphabet. It's not super hard. Just print one out and use Google Maps to cruise around Athens, transliterating all the street signs and shop names you see. You'll get it pretty quick.

Second, Greek doesn't just have singular and plural. It has singular, dual, and plural. Which is kinda neat. So there's an extra word (suffix) to learn for everything. Mostly it's not that big a deal, though.

I'm sure Duolingo is fine. Although do the Google Maps in Athens thing for the alphabet. It'll be more fun.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I’ve been using Duolingo for about a month now for Italian. It takes a while to get to phrases you’ll actually use tho. There’s a lot of intro “the boy eats sugar” “the girl likes milk” stuff to wade through. Or maybe I’m just an idiot and haven’t figured out how to get past this beginner phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've just started learning so that I can talk to my wife's Greek family and we can raise our son bilingually (to the extent possible). I'm not very far along yet but my personal survey of options led me to settle on:

Free recommendation: Language Transfer
Non-free recommendatoon: italki (lots of professional Greek teachers at reasonable rates).
Pro-tier life hack: have a Greek mother-in-law :agesilaus: