Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Euphoria is a teen drama created by Sam Levinson (adapted from an Israeli show) that airs on HBO. It stars Zendaya (who won an emmy for her performance in 2020) as Rue, an addict trying to get through high school, who forms a connection with new-in-town Jules, a trans girl played by Hunter Schafer. There are also many other characters and it has a killer cast including Sydney Sweeney, Storm Reid, and Maude Apatow. It is both wildly dark - think the British Skins, but even more intense and depressing - and wildly funny, with hilarious stylistic shifts and some great dialogue. But definitely way way more dark. It also looks extremely pretty with great cinematography, especially post-s1 where they've been shooting on film. Content-wise, it is unbelievably NWS and deals with a lot of triggering stuff like trauma/assault and addiction.

The show is currently three episodes into an eight-episode second season. Previously, there was an eight-episode first season in 2019, and two specials in late 2020 and early 2021.

I considered using e/n or SEX for the tag but I went with DRUGS instead and I still don't know if it was the right decision, if only there was a tag that's a mix of all three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Then why the gently caress do you look like you're auditioning for Oklahoma?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fez in this episode is narrating everyone whose partners got them to start watching season 2 without watching season 1.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I said it in Couch Chat but holy poo poo, season 2 being shot on film makes this show look so loving good :eyepop:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This season has been excellent so far. Kat being hounded by influencers and Cassie slipping into an obsessive morning routine have been particular high points.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lots of good flameouts this week. I was in stitches at the horrifically bad fake orgasm and then the impersonation of the horrifically bad fake orgasm

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This opening scene is WILD

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Lots of good flameouts this week. I was in stitches at the horrifically bad fake orgasm and then the impersonation of the horrifically bad fake orgasm

ahahahaha that was incredible. Zendaya is great at fake bad acting too it turns out

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All the scenes with Cal this week were WILD

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahahah everyone is a way bigger hot mess than usual this week god drat. Unbelievably crazy episode

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This is one of the best looking shows I've ever seen. It's one of the best looking anythings I've ever seen. Does HBO just have a monopoly on talented camera operators for tv or is it a director of cinematography thing or what because usually their shows look way better than even other premium cable channels.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Also good is the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03nR6eWanXs

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is one of the best looking shows I've ever seen. It's one of the best looking anythings I've ever seen. Does HBO just have a monopoly on talented camera operators for tv or is it a director of cinematography thing or what because usually their shows look way better than even other premium cable channels.

it's stupidly melodramatic lol... i love it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lol what was that.

Ru is so dumb. They're all so dumb. Except Nate, who is a lizard person and operates on some strange alien impulses.

Call keep living that sweet insane roller-coaster.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Just watched Spider Man: No Way Home, and I kept thinking "Wow, Rue is really good at keeping her poo poo together". I can't see Zendaya as not Rue anymore.

Speaking of though, Rue is the least interesting character so far this season.

At the end of season 1 I thought the Cal arc was going to go super dark and murdery trying to keep his sexuality and crimes hidden. But instead in season 2 it's gone comedic and he's also fully embraced his gay side and come out of the closet to his family. Could still turn dark, could easily see Cal committing suicide. But I don't see him murdering Jules or something to try to keep it secret anymore. (not that him drunk driving in a suicidal manner wasn't dark)

Kat needs to dump Ethan already so he can go out with Lexi.

Cassie puking all over the hot tub and everyone in it was probably the least damaging outcome given the circumstances.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

Cassie puking all over the hot tub and everyone in it was probably the least damaging outcome given the circumstances.

I was laughing like crazy at the cool mom having to reap what she sowed by dragging a screaming puking teen out of her hot tub without any help

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Also.

I had no idea there were 2 episodes between season 1 and 2 until this thread. Thanks OP

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

th3t00t posted:

Kat needs to dump Ethan already so he can go out with Lexi.
Agreed that Kat should dump Ethan but Lexi is way too good for nothingburger Ethan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Kat's plot has not been working for me this season. She sort of gets the occasional nod, but she's just in a holding pattern.

Like if she suddenly appeared in the Martha-from-Baskets drug subplot I'd be shocked.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Kat's plot has not been working for me this season. She sort of gets the occasional nod, but she's just in a holding pattern.

Like if she suddenly appeared in the Martha-from-Baskets drug subplot I'd be shocked.
I think there have been rumors that the actress and showrunner disagreed over the direction of the character and she may be written out after this season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I think there have been rumors that the actress and showrunner disagreed over the direction of the character and she may be written out after this season.

Huh. And you'd think that Sydney Sweeney was the actress this show hated.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

Also.

I had no idea there were 2 episodes between season 1 and 2 until this thread. Thanks OP

No problem! I thought it was worth noting just in case this exact thing happened. They’re fantastic episodes and I would hate for anyone to miss them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

..who forms a connection with new-in-town Jules, a trans girl played by Hunter Schafer.

Just out of curiosity, when was this element supposed to be obvious to the audience? The way the episode summaries are written on Wiki etc mention it in the first episode, but I don't recall seeing anything that obviously pointed to her being trans until they did her flashback episode. Just curious if I missed a piece of dialog or something pointing to it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t really remember. I thought “is she trans?” and googled Schafer after her first scene or two

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Isn't it something the show hints at during the app montage?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just out of curiosity, when was this element supposed to be obvious to the audience? The way the episode summaries are written on Wiki etc mention it in the first episode, but I don't recall seeing anything that obviously pointed to her being trans until they did her flashback episode. Just curious if I missed a piece of dialog or something pointing to it.

I had no clue for a long time

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think she takes a hormone injection in the pilot.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Just watched the Rue and Ali bonus episode.

Lent even more weight to the "What are you gonna do, hit me?" scene.

gently caress you Rue.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The director / dp / cam op power dynamic is a very interesting one and can be wildly different, even between episodes. How it normally works on tv is that you have a prepping director / dp team (who scout locations and evaluate what kind of shots they want, dictating what kind of equipment they need) and a shooting director / dp team, while the ops shoot every day.

What just blew my mind is that season two only has one team, which means this season is shot way more like a movie than a tv show. This greatly extends production time, because you either have to take breaks between episodes / episode blocks to scout and prep (which sucks for the shooting crew, unless you keep paying them), stack all the prep before shooting (which requires a huge amount of complex work, as you're basically making an 8 hour movie), or do scouts and prep after wrap / on weekends (which is incredibly difficult for the off set crew, production, and gives your director/dp/1st AD 20 hours days every day). This also means the director can't start editing until after the show wraps, also extending production time.

Not a lot of studios would fund such an endeavor, because extending shooting time requires extending lots of expensive things like actor contracts (Euphoria definitely benefits here from having less expensive actors), studio rentals, and equipment rentals.

Back to your question: Normally, there's some measure of power struggle between the director / dp / and ops (to a smaller degree) as to how to shoot a scene, especially if the director changes every episode, as is usual in tv. This gets much worse if the director used to be a dp. However, since HBO committed to having only one director / dp team, there's a greater amount of trust and preparation they can do to alleviate this. As for ops: most of the time they get very specific instruction as to how to shoot each shot from the dp, but with an alternate prep schedule, it's likely they can actually go out on the tech scouts and be a greater part of the process, even if that's only being more prepared for what they're going to shoot for the next episode. To make this whole thing way more complicated, they shoot on film stock. Any time a camera is handheld or steadi, you only get 6 and a half minutes before you have to reload.

This whole thing is a mind-boggling proposition.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
no offense to anyone here but im a victim of second hand euphoria and god i hate this show, its like a 60 year old producers idea of what the kids are up to, and zendaya just makes the same dumb face into the camera and the orgasm thing was just the worst, even if it was supposed to be bad.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Huh. And you'd think that Sydney Sweeney was the actress this show hated.

Nah. She said in an interview recently that she and Levinson have a really good working relationship.

Also, thank gently caress I wasn't the only one who didn't pick up on the fact that Hunter Schaefer is trans for the first few episodes. I felt like a tremendous dolt when I realized.

How can a lady who's savvy enough and tough enough to ride herd over a drug empire that includes total psychos like Mouse not see that a junkie like Rue is just going to rip her off?

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 3, 2022

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I'm still trying to figure out both how D.A.R.E. is still a thing and that they think this show glorifies drug use??

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Zendaya is so good in this. Just a really long night of Rue cannonballing through everyone's lives.

Maddy continues to be a barely restrained psychopath.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Zendaya finna win another Emmy for this one

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
this poo poo is so stressful lmao

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I love this show, but (as Rue would say)...

drat.

I hope that the last three episodes of the season offer some light for the mix because right now, this show is mostly stress and depression for me. I love it but I need a pick-me-up.

Also, having peeked into Assassination Nation on Hulu and bounced right off it, I have doubts about Levinson being able to land this plane.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Man I swear I don't cry during shows but this episode made me sob and want to call in sick to work.

Zendaya kills it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

exmarx posted:

this poo poo is so stressful lmao
Yeah for real. I kept thinking "Oh god Rue, noooooo, what are you doing?" It just kept getting worse :stare:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Zendaya is so good in this. Just a really long night of Rue cannonballing through everyone's lives.

shes amazing. a real genuine capital a Actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nah. She said in an interview recently that she and Levinson have a really good working relationship.

Also, thank gently caress I wasn't the only one who didn't pick up on the fact that Hunter Schaefer is trans for the first few episodes. I felt like a tremendous dolt when I realized.

How can a lady who's savvy enough and tough enough to ride herd over a drug empire that includes total psychos like Mouse not see that a junkie like Rue is just going to rip her off?

Credit the subreddit for this, but some people think that the drug dealer saw it this way: she gets a profit on the drugs or s sticks Rue in that room with the padlock and pimps her out. Either way she makes money.