Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

And my dilz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m having fake non Chinese food rn.

It’s actually from a Chinese place run by a Thai couple.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

How much variety is there between nearby Costcos? If I'm driving to the city that's 30 minutes away is it worth stopping at their Costco or should I just stick to the one that's 10 minutes from my house instead?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cockblocktopus posted:

How much variety is there between nearby Costcos? If I'm driving to the city that's 30 minutes away is it worth stopping at their Costco or should I just stick to the one that's 10 minutes from my house instead?

The only real big difference in a geographical area will be your business costco vs regular costco. Business costcos are an entertaining change.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I had pho for lunch but it wasn't actually pho because a Korean guy who runs a Chinese restaurant made it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cockblocktopus posted:

Their liquor selection might be slightly different if they are in different states, otherwise I wouldn’t expect any differences.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

General Tso's Chicken was invented in New York City. If it's found in southern California, it's rare, or someone is selling you orange chicken and is lying about what it's called. The recipe in the PNW, I've read, is different than what's on the east coast, which is the one true General Tso's.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

really struggling with this part specifically

The vast majority of the Chinese food I grew up with on the east coast had gently caress-all to do with what people were eating in China. Deep fried garbage in sticky red sauces, eggs in gravy, fried wontons. Some of these were available in different forms on the west coast, but they also had their own localized dishes that were just as bad.

I don’t think the PNW got the same surge of hunan-style Chinese places that Philadelphia and NYC got in the 70s and 80s. That might have had something to do with the prevalence of teriyaki places that swept the area at the same time.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Cockblocktopus posted:

As others mentioned, differences will be minor. Like in the Seattle area, you can only reliably find Indian staples at some locations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dry fried chicken wings > generals tso's

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Ah yes, when I moved to California from the Philly region, I found out very quickly that General Tso's Chicken was exclusively a Northeast invention.

What? No, not even. We’ve had General Tso’s in the goddamn Safeway deli in my bumfuck Washington rural hometown since I was in high school 20 years ago, and definitely in what passes for Chinese-American restaurant cuisine out here too.

Mine GO BOOM posted:

If you have the Business Costco near you, try and buy pans there as they have huge selections. I got some Tramontina branded ones that are awesome to cook with that I've never seen in normal costcos.

These are legit. I bought the 8” and and 10” 2 packs and they been amazing especially for that price point.

Corn Glizzy fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 31, 2022

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

General Tso's Chicken was invented in New York City. If it's found in southern California, it's rare, or someone is selling you orange chicken and is lying about what it's called. The recipe in the PNW, I've read, is different than what's on the east coast, which is the one true General Tso's.

Hahaha never seen a Chinese place in SoCal without it, and no it’s not orange chicken.

Like saying Caesar salad was invented in Mexico. If you see it in New York it’s prolly a head of iceberg with Italian dressing poured on top.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Powerful trolling in the Costco thread

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Did Costco have a sale on bad trolling???

And how could I miss it?!

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

This may be a record for the number of wooshes I've ever seen. So many that I'm worried I'm getting wooshed by some of the responses to the original post.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Costco in Reno is like 30% bigger than the Costco in Sparks and has a ton of stuff they don’t have so I wouldn’t assume that all non BC Costcos in the same region are necessarily nearly identical.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I'd feel like I was cheating if I went to a different Costco.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cockblocktopus posted:

Depends on the demographics, and demographics can mean a bunch of different things. A Costco in a higher average income area generally has different and/or more expensive merchandise across the board, from clothes to home goods to food, etc. Another thing I've noticed is that Costco tends to align their ethnic foods with the demographics nearby. The closest Costco to me has a lot more Asian goods than the one out in the white suburbs and I believe the one downriver has a bunch of halal or arabic/mediterranean foods. Both of the above things are evident near me with the Madison Heights and Bloomfield Hills Costcos. YMMV though, seems areas with more density of Costcos seem to have less variation though.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I have a decent Costco just 5 minutes away but I do drive about 30 minutes sometimes to a further Costco just because it has gasoline and they’re signifcantly cheaper for gas than anywhere else nearby making it worth it if i’m quite empty. They also carry the bottles of Ito En green tea and the Kirkland cold brew cans that my closer Costco used to carry so I load up at least 4 cases when I go.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The Costcos that are in the more Hispanic area of my city have a pretty good selection of Mexican cheeses.

Meanwhile, another one where there is a more Asian population has bottles of Baijiu (Chinese liquor).

They really do a good job of knowing the surrounding areas demos.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Everyone has a Costco near them, and then “the good Costco” which is farther away but close enough that it’s still worth going to once in a while

if you are lucky enough to live near “the good Costco” you have truly been blessed

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

priznat posted:

Pan chat: kirkland stainless steel set

My Kirkland 13pc 3ply stainless set is 6 years old now and is completely immaculate minus the bottoms because I can't be assed to scrub the bottom of pans.
I have every confidence they will last my lifetime, as any good set of stainless steel cookware should if you are not abusive/negligent.

It's really something everyone should invest in. $199 CAD for a lifetime of cooking (with the bonus of no longer eating Teflon) is one of those "can't afford not to" kind of propositions.
I keep 2 non stick skillets which last a lot longer since I'm no longer using them for inappropriate applications. It's wins all round.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
We're moving to a new state in early summer and a not insignificant amount of my initial scouting for places to live is how close to Costco will I be.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just got my first Costco membership, looking forward to shopping!!! Woo

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Welcome! Stock up on the brightest spyder jackets you can find. Peruse the saltiest ramen selection you've ever laid eyes on. Get yourself that inflatable hot tub you've been thinking of.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Chest freezer or Upright freezer? :shrug: That's for you to find out

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

Depends on the demographics, and demographics can mean a bunch of different things. A Costco in a higher average income area generally has different and/or more expensive merchandise across the board, from clothes to home goods to food, etc. Another thing I've noticed is that Costco tends to align their ethnic foods with the demographics nearby. The closest Costco to me has a lot more Asian goods than the one out in the white suburbs and I believe the one downriver has a bunch of halal or arabic/mediterranean foods. Both of the above things are evident near me with the Madison Heights and Bloomfield Hills Costcos. YMMV though, seems areas with more density of Costcos seem to have less variation though.

The buyers at Costco do a great job researching which products might sell well in different areas within the all the regions. I know a guy whose brother is one of their buyers. Not sure if he's still doing it now, but years ago when I spoke to him about it he said he was in charge of determining which gift cards Costco would carry. And since they try to sell a bunch of gift cards for local restaurants, he got to travel all over the place and eat at a ton of restaurants all on Costco's dime while still technically doing his job. If that was my job I don't know if I would ever give it up willingly.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Wrap a hot dog in a pizza slice, ask for diced onions, buy three churros to go.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Math You posted:

It's really something everyone should invest in. $199 CAD for a lifetime of cooking (with the bonus of no longer eating Teflon) is one of those "can't afford not to" kind of propositions.

:yeah:

Also makes a great gift for anyone moving into their own place for the first time (well, if they've got the right mindset to appreciate it).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Brawnfire posted:

We should have a party for your first communion. (hot dog and drink with refill)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i tried a different costco the other day and it sucked because there were loads more people not wearing masks compared to my usual one. if it was non-covid times i would probably go there more often though because my usual store seems to be slightly smaller than the other stores in my area

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Snagged some of the cheese danishes, didn't realize it was two packs for the price and they're fuckin booooooomb

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Johnny Truant posted:

Snagged some of the cheese danishes, didn't realize it was two packs for the price and they're fuckin booooooomb

My dear friend
My guess is 25 pounds in a year lol
I understand believe me
I gained 8 from the punkin pies alone

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Spinz posted:

My dear friend
My guess is 25 pounds in a year lol
I understand believe me
I gained 8 from the punkin pies alone

Costco baked goods are both a blessing and a curse

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Like saying Caesar salad was invented in Mexico. If you see it in New York it’s prolly a head of iceberg with Italian dressing poured on top.

1. It was, in Tijuana, and 2. What?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Wedge salads are good

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Probably uncultured animals who don't like anchovies in the dressing.

Which is basically everybody I know irl except me and my dad.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Wedge salads are good

hell yeah they are

u get to use a steak knife when eating it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Corn Muffins, cut in half, toasted with Nutella. Get thee away from me delicious satan!