Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Weird poo poo happens but I'm not sure how your jacket could have done all that accidentally.

I would put the watch in DND mode and theater mode. That will prevent wake on raise and all that stuff.

Comedy of errors as I posted in the AppleTV thread of all places, but good call. Jacket arm was pretty sweaty at the end of all this so maybe moisture helped initiate a touch. Ah well, off to the Watch thread I go :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Space Racist posted:

How long is the power cord in the box?

Until you take it out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Until you take it out.

:lol: thanks dad

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Weird poo poo happens but I'm not sure how your jacket could have done all that accidentally.

I would put the watch in DND mode and theater mode. That will prevent wake on raise and all that stuff.

My watch has been in DND theater mode for literally years.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there a way to remotely control the Apple TV's music app from a phone? I'd like to use it with my TV turned off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there a way to remotely control the Apple TV's music app from a phone? I'd like to use it with my TV turned off.

Airplay it from the phone?

Alternative play the music with the tv on and open the remote app and the music should show on the Lock Screen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Swipe down control center

Tap the music/TV controls in the upper right to maximize it

Hit "Control Other Speakers & TVs" at the bottom (if it's not already on the AppleTV)

Open Music and it *should* tell you that you're playing music on the AppleTV

Use it like you normally would

Or just Airplay

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Had a kid just shatter the glass (??) on my old ATV 1080p (HD?) but am only seeing the new ATV 4K gray remote on Amazon and in the apple store. Does the new remote work with the old ATV? And is there no way to buy the old remote?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Had a kid just shatter the glass (??) on my old ATV 1080p (HD?) but am only seeing the new ATV 4K gray remote on Amazon and in the apple store. Does the new remote work with the old ATV? And is there no way to buy the old remote?

The new remote will work with the 4th Gen HD and up. I think the only way to get the old remote is to find a sealed, older Apple TV for sale

The Gillman fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 31, 2022

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Just use the remote function on your phone or iPad?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Had a kid just shatter the glass (??) on my old ATV 1080p (HD?)

The Gillman posted:

I think they remedy hold the old remote is to find a seal older Apple TV for sale

They need to do way instain remote. And people here make light of the writing style of "How is babby formed". The question was missing the word "remote" in the beginning (okay, can happen to me too), but that reply :psyduck:.

Also, honestly, instead of posting all the (??), I'd google first for a few seconds.

You can identify the remote your TV uses here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205329

Apple doesn't sell the black one anymore, but the two others. The black one is being sold by many online shops.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

They need to do way instain remote. And people here make light of the writing style of "How is babby formed". The question was missing the word "remote" in the beginning (okay, can happen to me too), but that reply :psyduck:.

Also, honestly, instead of posting all the (??), I'd google first for a few seconds.

You can identify the remote your TV uses here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205329

Apple doesn't sell the black one anymore, but the two others. The black one is being sold by many online shops.

Posting without previewing is a choice and I will defend it forever :agesilaus:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

The Gillman posted:

Posting without previewing is a choice and I will defend it forever :agesilaus:

I’m sure there’s someone who upgraded remotes that has an extra old one lying around. I should have one kicking around somewhere.

Black one with the touch pad, right?

Violator
May 15, 2003

If you buy an old style remote you’re also getting an old battery in it. The remote for my AppleTV HD that I got in 2015 is starting to crap out and every few days I get a “battery is under 20%” notification even after charging it overnight. I guess the battery has held up relatively well for being used daily for almost 6.5 years now but still.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OTOH they only stopped selling the old remote last April so it’s not crazy old stock.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got the new appleTV remote and feel very good about this purchase even though it was 60 human dollars

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, I ended up just getting a new remote. It’s way better than the old one.

I’m surprised it took this long for me to realize it had glass than can be shattered in it, especially with as many kids as we have in our house.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
If you have an extra black Apple TV 4th gen remote lying around and feel like taking a risk, you can sell them for about $30 eBay. Apple pricing the new one at $60 helped the secondary market for the old one I guess.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
Bit of a cross-post with the HDTV thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=536#post521137879

Am I doing something wrong with the AppleTV settings maybe? Anyone else getting odd lip sync issues with a similar configuration?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Grimmeh posted:

Bit of a cross-post with the HDTV thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=536#post521137879

Am I doing something wrong with the AppleTV settings maybe? Anyone else getting odd lip sync issues with a similar configuration?
Tried stuff like setting the TV's AV channel to passthrough instead of, uh ... auto? It's the per-channel setting.

My guess is that there's some re-encoding of audio somewhere, and ATV's audio settings are notoriously opaque about what is going on.

Also make sure to see what audio it happens with, because a YouTube video won't have the same audio a Netflix show will. A lot of YouTube channels have atrocious syncing because of bad editing.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

kliras posted:

Tried stuff like setting the TV's AV channel to passthrough instead of, uh ... auto? It's the per-channel setting.

My guess is that there's some re-encoding of audio somewhere, and ATV's audio settings are notoriously opaque about what is going on.

Also make sure to see what audio it happens with, because a YouTube video won't have the same audio a Netflix show will. A lot of YouTube channels have atrocious syncing because of bad editing.

For now I’m going the eARC route and it’s mostly helped. There have been a few moments of odd sync but overall it’s solid.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

new remote kinda sucks imo

like, it's not the worst, but I was expecting more of an improvement over the last

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New remote owns and is way easier to hold. Only weird thing is how they moved the play/pause button.

Shame it doesn’t have the “find my” beeping capability though for when my toddlers jam it in the couch cushions or throw it in their bed upstairs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah not big on the play/pause button move, and the whole jog dial feature seemingly not being supported in anything other than the standard player.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s fine now that I got used to it. The buttons are still a bit nonsensical… burying the Play button in a line of identical circles is weird.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I moved to Chromecast w/GTV a while ago because I needed to sideload a Japanese IPTV app but man, the remote that came with my 4th gen ATV was a disaster if I wasn't staring directly at it. Perfectly symmetrical right side up and upside down, unless you happen to feel that you're thumbing an elongated button meaning you're holding it upside down. Yeah, I *guess* the texture was different on the touch section, but man, having to fondle my remote for ten seconds to determine if I'm holding it right is not my definition of a "good user experience" lol.

I ended up buying one of those sideclick TV remote attachments just to break the symmetry. And I guess it was nice to be able to push a button to change TV inputs which I couldn't readily do with the ATV remote, but that's neither here nor there.

Are the new ones any less confusing in the dark?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I moved to Chromecast w/GTV a while ago because I needed to sideload a Japanese IPTV app but man, the remote that came with my 4th gen ATV was a disaster if I wasn't staring directly at it. Perfectly symmetrical right side up and upside down, unless you happen to feel that you're thumbing an elongated button meaning you're holding it upside down. Yeah, I *guess* the texture was different on the touch section, but man, having to fondle my remote for ten seconds to determine if I'm holding it right is not my definition of a "good user experience" lol.

I ended up buying one of those sideclick TV remote attachments just to break the symmetry. And I guess it was nice to be able to push a button to change TV inputs which I couldn't readily do with the ATV remote, but that's neither here nor there.

Are the new ones any less confusing in the dark?

I put a $2 silicone case on my 4th gen remote that easily tells me what side is up, and makes it easier to spot in the couch cushions too

The new remote has a raised pad on the top so yeah, it's easier to instantly tell what side is what

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I barely ever look at the new remote, it’s really easy to use without looking. I love the thing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have no point of comparison to the old remote, but the wheel and whatnot feel distinct enough for me that I can tell them apart on the new one.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
I'd always pick up the old black remote upside-down and wonder why nothing worked. That doesn't happen with the new one. Now I just mix up the mute and play/pause buttons.

Got three months of Apple Arcade free with a recent iPhone upgrade, and decided to try Fantasian, the not-Final Fantasy game by the creator of Final Fantasy. Playing it with a Nimbus controller on the latest AppleTV was very smooth, compared to my iPad or the previous-gen AppleTV.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Myok posted:

I'd always pick up the old black remote upside-down and wonder why nothing worked. That doesn't happen with the new one. Now I just mix up the mute and play/pause buttons.

No one has ever picked up the old remote and had it work on the first try without looking.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Strong USB port vibes!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

withak posted:

No one has ever picked up the old remote and had it work on the first try without looking.
Unless you got the 4K box. The white ring around the menu button is raised.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The best part of the old remote is when it’s sitting on a table and you just want to hit the main button but instead hit the bottom a few times before realizing the drat thing is facing the wrong way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s wafer-like shape makes it the easiest of all the remotes to disappear between cushions. It is truly one of the worst things apple has ever designed.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I don’t like any of the Apple remotes, but my Function 101 is just right for the whole family.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I do wish they had included the find my capability in the dang remote, even the new one has gotten misplaced a couple times.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Can you pair any of the ATV bluetooth remotes with a MacOS computer? Will it work with iTunes/TV/QT or other media player apps?

Macs used to come with the old IR remotes and it was super handy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I know you could with the old silver ones (3rd gen?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Old tv remote had a farm, eeieeioo.

I just grabbed it in a way that I would feel the Lightning 🌩 port. Plus the Apple logo orientation on the back helps, particularly when putting it face down. Caught it wrong maybe twice overall because I was in a hurry. It was poo poo, but manageable poo poo.

After dinner, my husband and I sat down in the living room to watch some TV. We were about to turn on the old Apple TV remote when I noticed that it was in the wrong orientation. I reached for it, but my husband grabbed it first. "I can do it," he said. I turned to watch TV, but I could only see his hand in the corner of my eye.

Old Apple TV remote sat on the coffee table, forgotten. It was just a simple remote, with no fancy features, but it was the only way to control the old television. Someone had thrown it across the room, and now it was in the wrong orientation. It was time to get a new one.

The old Apple TV remote was dusty and crusty, but it still worked. I plugged it into the TV and tried to turn it on, but the screen just stayed black. I remembered that the old Apple TV always worked best if you turned it the wrong way; the black screen meant that the TV was in portrait mode, not landscape. I turned the TV around and hit the power button. The old TV beeped once and then turned on, displaying the familiar blue screen and the words "Apple TV."

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 6, 2022