Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hekk posted:

It's lonely being part of such a highly coveted elite fighting force.

Gonna have to start handing 6ers out to trash talking jealous babies Rah?

Always figured the green weenie was a lot bigger than 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Crab Dad posted:

Always figured the green weenie was a lot bigger than 6.

No, it’s actually quite small, hence the crayon eaters over compensation.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

No, it’s actually quite small, hence the crayon eaters over compensation.

True warriors are happy to minimize areas of vulnerability. I learned that in body hardening as we repeatedly hit each other to deaden the nerves in our arms and legs.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hekk posted:

True warriors are happy to minimize areas of vulnerability.

That’s just a fancy way of saying, “don’t marry the strippers near the base, right?”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Grip it and rip it posted:

This is why Prosectutors dont work for the victim, they work for the state and the people generally

There is no actual upside to another expensive trial here - the state trial already gave these men their due process and they probably realize its in their best interest to plea. Our prison system is not supposed to be hell on earth - wanting these men subjected to the worst abuses our system of justice can muster is inhumane and beneath what we should ascribe to as a society.

Victims and their families are often upset about plea agreements, thats just the nature of our totally hosed up system.

The family got what they wanted, at least in this round:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1488254722851188738

I'm extremely risk-averse, so I've always thought that an unappealable, barely-reducable 30-year federal term is worth the tradeoff of a better prison facility. Never know when some state proceeding gets hosed up on appeal. The family is treating this whole deal as a massive betrayal, which I just don't get, but I haven't gone through it :shrug:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SquirrelyPSU posted:

In Pennsylvania, if you are inspecting a bridge and you see something that could potentially result in failure such as this, you close the road and go up the chain until you hit 911 or someone answers the phone. Someone is losing their license and getting sued for this.

*taps sign*

https://twitter.com/WGAL/status/1488256795143454722?s=20&t=Mujb1Fn2eoXDgYN8CdmaVw

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

The kids are alright.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Picatinny Arsenal has a small water park that they let local town residents use as long as you buy a membership and pass the backround check to get on and off post. I've been their a few times with my kids and I met a guy this past summer who was an honest to god Space Force member. He was a plesant guy from Texas.

Thats my Space Force story.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

The family got what they wanted, at least in this round:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1488254722851188738

I'm extremely risk-averse, so I've always thought that an unappealable, barely-reducable 30-year federal term is worth the tradeoff of a better prison facility. Never know when some state proceeding gets hosed up on appeal. The family is treating this whole deal as a massive betrayal, which I just don't get, but I haven't gone through it :shrug:

Nice of the Judge to articulate why he rejected the deal, rather than both sides searching in the dark for whatever factors have to be modified to meet the court's desires. What a shitshow

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

davecrazy posted:

Picatinny Arsenal

I bet they have a lot of rails

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

drat..

gently caress..

gen z is bigger than I thought

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

davecrazy posted:

Picatinny Arsenal has a small water park that they let local town residents use as long as you buy a membership and pass the backround check to get on and off post. I've been their a few times with my kids and I met a guy this past summer who was an honest to god Space Force member. He was a plesant guy from Texas.

Thats my Space Force story.

Hey that's Frog Falls! I just started working at Picatinny like 7 months ago. I haven't actually been inside Frog Falls but I have driven past it a few times and it's pretty cool. My boss would go swim during his lunch break there.

Kesper North posted:

The rails were named after the post from what I understand. A lot of cool and not so cool Army stuff was and are being designed here. Pity the actual post kinda sucks. The PX and Commissary are a joke. I don't even think the civilians working on post could buy stuff there until last year.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

To show how bizarre the immigration policies in the US are, consider this. People seeking Immigrant Visas while attempting to enter the US legally are required to show proof of Covid vaccination.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/15/1037410464/us-immigrant-visa-applicant-coronavirus-covid-vaccine

However, migrants illegally crossing the US border are not required to have the vaccine, can not be forced to have the vaccine, and in many cases refuse testing or vaccination.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/...e5-cc86c621fe95

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ice-ramps-up-vaccination-of-immigrants-in-u-s-custody-but-thousands-have-refused/

Also, one issue with the border fence is that there are several Indian Reservations that straddle the border. The Reservations will not allow the larger fence to be built on their property, creating a convenient place for migrants to cross as there is only a vehicle barrier present. The following video details a gap in the fence west of Yuma, AZ. I have personally been to fence and have seen literally hundreds of people crossing at this point. They are not attempting to be discreet and are actively looking for CBP agents to surrender to. Personally, I think a regular shuttle bus from this section of the Border to the Yuma CBP facility should be created to simplify the process.

The following video has a good breakdown of the border gap at the Cocopah Indian Reservation near Yuma. Ignore some of the voice over's opinions, but the factual statements are true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaWSVvMfwHE

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

PeterCat posted:

To show how bizarre the immigration policies in the US are, consider this. People seeking Immigrant Visas while attempting to enter the US legally are required to show proof of Covid vaccination.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/15/1037410464/us-immigrant-visa-applicant-coronavirus-covid-vaccine

However, migrants illegally crossing the US border are not required to have the vaccine, can not be forced to have the vaccine, and in many cases refuse testing or vaccination. ]

How is this bizzar rather than just a thing that happens? We dont force vaccines or tests on anyone in this country if they dont want them, the most we do is social ostrization and bar non vaxxed from schools.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

PennDOT update, the bridge was last inspected 4 months ago:

https://www.wgal.com/article/pittsburgh-collapsed-bridge-2021-inspection/38945429

e: Some background based on the photos I've seen and the articles I've read. The bridge type was as linked below (Steel k-frame, not an arch like I guessed over the weekend):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid-frame_bridge#/media/File:Otamusjoen_silta_2.JPG

The picture of the rusted out cross bracing member turned out to be connected to one of the legs. I looked back at the photo and that leg anchor plate looks all kinds of mangled. It looks like the k-supports on one side gave out and the whole thing just rotated longitudinally about the other side, resulting in the relatively straightforward (and few) breaks in the deck, and the big gap between the one bank and where the bridge settled.

Two things to be pointed out:

1) PennDOT has in fact identified the other 6 bridges that they own that share the structure type (I think I know where 3 are off the top of my head, and they are all in pretty good shape) and

2) The Load Rating was last revised in 2014 which is bulllllllllllllllllllshit. Whole thing stinks.

2e: Dave DiCello (@DaveDicello) does a lot of Pittsburgh landscape and infrastructure photography (his poo poo owns and if I had a house I'd have a bunch of it framed) and was on hand as they craning the articulated bus out of the ravine.

https://twitter.com/DaveDiCello/status/1488297246059806734?s=20&t=TlhvapbwUNADRIgN3zaAgg

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 1, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
It's almost as if we should allow way more people legally enter the U.S. and fix our broken system.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PeterCat posted:

However, migrants illegally crossing the US border are not required to have the vaccine, can not be forced to have the vaccine, and in many cases refuse testing or vaccination.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/...e5-cc86c621fe95

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ice-ramps-up-vaccination-of-immigrants-in-u-s-custody-but-thousands-have-refused/

Also, one issue with the border fence is that there are several Indian Reservations that straddle the border. The Reservations will not allow the larger fence to be built on their property, creating a convenient place for migrants to cross as there is only a vehicle barrier present. The following video details a gap in the fence west of Yuma, AZ. I have personally been to fence and have seen literally hundreds of people crossing at this point. They are not attempting to be discreet and are actively looking for CBP agents to surrender to. Personally, I think a regular shuttle bus from this section of the Border to the Yuma CBP facility should be created to simplify the process.

The following video has a good breakdown of the border gap at the Cocopah Indian Reservation near Yuma. Ignore some of the voice over's opinions, but the factual statements are true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaWSVvMfwHE

Literally nothing about that is bizarre - you cant force people to get vaccinations, particularly if they are entering illegally. There is also a big difference in the reasons people come here on a visa (work, school, tourism) vs. why people cross without documentation.

Bored As gently caress posted:

It's almost as if we should allow way more people legally enter the U.S. and fix our broken system.

As far as I understand the Visa system allows for infinite #s of approved persons to enter the country for very specific purposes. Establishing residency and acquiring citizenship are where there are some serious bottlebecks that definitely need to be reformed, but sadly Immigration is a topic where congress essentially had infinite power, so about the only way to create any kind of lasting change is bipartisan consensus.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 1, 2022

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Defenestrategy posted:

How is this bizzar rather than just a thing that happens? We dont force vaccines or tests on anyone in this country if they dont want them, the most we do is social ostrization and bar non vaxxed from schools.

It's bizarre that if you want to legally enter the US via a visa you have to show proof of vaccination, but you can just hop a fence, claim refugee status, and be shipped somewhere in the US without being required to have one. Lack of COVID vaccination is not on its own grounds for removal, even though stopping the spread of Covid is the reason given on the Title 10 orders putting the National Guard at the border, and Title 42 is being used as a fig leaf to remove migrants from the country.

Why are the requirements for entering the US more onerous for people trying to do it legally than people doing it illegally?

Mind you, the Biden Administration and Congress have made no proposals that I am aware of to revamp the process for applying for refugee status, or immigrating to the US, and according to the Vice President, the solution is to encourage Central American countries to have more women farmers.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Kesper North posted:

Their is a Rail Gun Testing Area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9566537,-74.5240537,3a,30.7y,156.47h,89.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjjJ8BbFCWQryXizrK7-75A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I always wondered what would happen if you pulled over to read the historical marker by that gate.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 1, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Why are the requirements for entering the US more onerous for people trying to do it legally than people doing it illegally?.

So you are in essence asking: Why is the law more burdensome for those who follow it than those who don't give a poo poo and flaunt it?

Bruh.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

davecrazy posted:

Their is a Rail Gun Testing Area.

I should have said "I bet that place runs on rails"

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Kesper North posted:

I should have said "I bet that place runs on rails"

It's off the chain (gun) :dadjoke: I will see myself out

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Grip it and rip it posted:

Literally nothing about that is bizarre - you cant force people to get vaccinations, particularly if they are entering illegally. There is also a big difference in the reasons people come here on a visa (work, school, tourism) vs. why people cross without documentation.

As far as I understand the Visa system allows for infinite #s of approved persons to enter the country for very specific purposes. Establishing residency and acquiring citizenship are where there are some serious bottlebecks that definitely need to be reformed, but sadly Immigration is a topic where congress essentially had infinite power, so about the only way to create any kind of lasting change is bipartisan consensus.

All the people who are going to lose their jobs if they don’t get a vaccine are of course not being forced to get vaccinated. This is the definition of party politics over everything.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PeterCat posted:

It's bizarre that if you want to legally enter the US via a visa you have to show proof of vaccination, but you can just hop a fence, claim refugee status, and be shipped somewhere in the US without being required to have one. Lack of COVID vaccination is not on its own grounds for removal, even though stopping the spread of Covid is the reason given on the Title 10 orders putting the National Guard at the border, and Title 42 is being used as a fig leaf to remove migrants from the country.

Why are the requirements for entering the US more onerous for people trying to do it legally than people doing it illegally?

Mind you, the Biden Administration and Congress have made no proposals that I am aware of to revamp the process for applying for refugee status, or immigrating to the US, and according to the Vice President, the solution is to encourage Central American countries to have more women farmers.

lol from this quote it doesn't sound like you really know much of anything about how our immigration system works.

There are no "requirements" to enter the country illegally. People enter this country with bricks of cocaine or illegal guns illegally. They are not entitled to the same process or legal protections as people who do enter legally.

You also have much less significant protections from removal if you enter the country illegally, could potentially damage or jeopardize your ability to enter or remain in the United States permanently, and a whole slew of additional dangers if you are not documented. The process is not as simple as "claiming refugee status" in order to prevent removal after Customs finds an undocumented person.

Meshka posted:

All the people who are going to lose their jobs if they don’t get a vaccine are of course not being forced to get vaccinated. This is the definition of party politics over everything.

I don't know what this means

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 1, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

but you can just hop a fence, claim refugee status, and be shipped somewhere in the US without being required to have one.

what the gently caress is this ignorant bullshit?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Been seeing rumblings about this, good to see that mostly confirmed with an article - we're about a month from vaccines for toddlers.

https://twitter.com/lauriemcginley2/status/1488315117137707008

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

facialimpediment posted:

Been seeing rumblings about this, good to see that mostly confirmed with an article - we're about a month from vaccines for toddlers.

https://twitter.com/lauriemcginley2/status/1488315117137707008

Good them filthy little incubators have been a menace for too long.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

PeterCat posted:

This is a weird and kind of chuddy post. I get that you don’t like Biden- hell, I sure as poo poo don’t- but this is a weird tack to take in criticizing the administration.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
For those who want to read a but about asylum rather than Peter Cat’s grossly incorrect characterization, here you go:

https://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/667/

Quick bits: most asylum is denied. A tiny tiny portion of immigration is made up of asylum or refugee cases, whether illegally immigrated, attempted but failed, or legally successful. Most immigration is just immigration, but people will claim the asylum process is easy as a way to gin up anti-immigrant sentiment.

He has a terrible habit of poo poo takes on immigration, ranging from saying we should ban anyone from KSA to just whining about national guard activation to taking time to specifically highlight only crimes that are committed by immigrants.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
His steamy takes aren't exclusive to immigration issues

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Shocking news: people filling out paperwork to lawfully move to America and work etc have to provide proof of vaccination.

But people who break the law and cross the border without documentation? Wow, they do not have to send their vax status before they break the law and cross without documentation.

Makes you think.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I mean, the ignore button is like right there

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Defenestrategy posted:

Do the space force even have a mission that isn't already done by one of the other three branches?

They basically took it from the other three branches, when it was already (mostly) managed centrally by a COCOM.

Razor posted:

Sort of since they both fall under the Department of the Air Force. But it's just basically Air Force Space Command rebranded into its own branch for no reason

Bingo.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 1, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don’t have strong opinions on Space Force’s formation, but it is only fair to point out that:

1. Discussion of its potential formation predated the Trump administration.
2. There was a lot of argument about whether COCOMs handled space capabilities well.
3. There was a lot of argument about whether the Air Force handled it well.
4. There were Air Force leaders arguing both ways on whether or not to separate out a space force.
5. I forget.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I would have put money on a Cyber Force before a Space Force though. Just seems like such an unnecessary move. In Korea the only change was a bunch of dudes changing patches and swearing in to a new service.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You should really feel no obligation to be fair to the process. There has been, and continues to be, vigorous debate about whether or not the Air Force can handle aircraft well, and that perhaps the Army should expand its ability to field aircraft. Every year since the A-10 program was competitively prototyped and then funded there have been people arguing that it was an absurd and pointless waste of money.

People and flag officers argue for all sorts of dumb poo poo all the god drat time. You're not supposed to give it to them.

I'm not convinced that the Space Force has addressed or shown how they'll address any issues the Air Force had with space acquisitions and operations. It seems to have just taken the existing issues and dumped a bunch of teething issues on top of them.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 1, 2022

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The Space Force as a branch shouldn't have happened, and is almost real-life Spaceballs in some ways. But the individual members are good folks. And they seem to ride with the memes and take it all in jest, unlike some of the other services.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Does the space force have that job the air force does where they hand out towels at the gym and that's literally their MOS and stuff? That job is tight. Literally nobody should join to do anything else.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
California's single-payer CalCare bill once again died today. Bizarrely all the election time supporters for this, upto and including Gavin Newsom, went completely silent on this issue. Please remember to vote blue no matter who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

California's single-payer CalCare bill once again died today. Bizarrely all the election time supporters for this, upto and including Gavin Newsom, went completely silent on this issue. Please remember to vote blue no matter who.

california dems at every level are just pro-choice republicans

change my mind