Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Sony absolutely overpaid (half as much as Microsoft paid for Bethesda, but for a single developer) but Destiny 2 is way bigger than you're giving it credit for. It's consistently in the top ten active users for every platform it's on. Just because you don't play it doesn't mean it's not successful.

It's not a lot of established IP but Bungie does have two other original IP projects in the works right now that Sony probably saw potential in.

Mostly this is a bummer for me because Bungie was killing it in terms of revenue as an independent developer and I was really looking forward to even bigger studios being able to cut out the middleman, but that future seems impossible now. I really have to wonder what was going on behind the scenes that their massive Destiny success still wasn't enough to keep them going on their own.

Articles are quoting that they'll still retain some level of independent operation, they'll still be multi-platform, and they can still self-publish. Which is pretty confusing, but that's what they're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It means Indie Games are more or less dead as a long term thing now. The big companies have enough liquidity to just throw stupid amounts of money at smaller devs that they can't refuse. If not MS or Sony then Tencent or whatever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Eej posted:

It means Indie Games are more or less dead as a long term thing now. The big companies have enough liquidity to just throw stupid amounts of money at smaller devs that they can't refuse. If not MS or Sony then Tencent or whatever.

indie games are dead because someone bought bungie

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Eej posted:

Yeah, and horror are dead, space games are dead, FPS are dead.

And so on and so forth.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eej posted:

???

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
To reiterate the point: you can only become so successful on your own until someone rolls up with money bags.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Feels Villeneuve posted:

indie games are dead because someone bought bungie

Meanwhile, Devolver continues to have insane year (Fall Guys) after insane year (Inscryption) due to developers with less than 500 employees.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eej posted:

To reiterate the point: you can only become so successful on your own until someone rolls up with money bags.

Indie games are dead becuase they are too successful

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Eej posted:

Time to tell all the little developers out there to give up because a three billion dollar company was bought. I mean if you can't grow higher than a billion dollars then what is the point really.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
A lot of people literally got into indie development because of the MS acquisition of Minecraft/Mojang. Bit optimistic on their end, but still.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Craptacular! posted:

Meanwhile, Devolver continues to have insane year (Fall Guys) after insane year (Inscryption) due to developers with less than 500 employees.

Doesn't Epic own Mediatonic now though?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Sony absolutely overpaid (half as much as Microsoft paid for Bethesda, but for a single developer) but Destiny 2 is way bigger than you're giving it credit for. It's consistently in the top ten active users for every platform it's on. Just because you don't play it doesn't mean it's not successful.

Sony overpaid thanks to the insane buyouts the last few months/years. Gaming companies got a huge boost in revenue due to covid and then the constant merger/acquisition drove everyone's prices up even more. Microsoft paying a premium for everyone inflated the prices for other companies too as speculators invested more thinking there is chance of further buyouts. Bungie/Destiny is great but the valuation would definitely be much lower if there weren't so many acquisitions going on in the past 12 months and prior to covid.

Sony buying Insomniac for 230m just prior to covid and all these merger acquistions is probably gonna be the steal of the decade. I am sure they would have sold for much higher even though they only develop single player games.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Eej posted:

Doesn't Epic own Mediatonic now though?

Yes, but Devolver seems happy to have made a bunch of money on the back of it's rise.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mutata posted:

Articles are quoting that they'll still retain some level of independent operation, they'll still be multi-platform, and they can still self-publish. Which is pretty confusing, but that's what they're saying.

I guess they're probably just lying when they say future Bungie games won't be Playstation exclusive. I'm not sure why else they would buy them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Did they specifically say “multi platform including Xbox” or just “multiplatform” because I can buy Bungy (Bungie under Sony) releasing their next games for PC and PS5.

Also I keep trying to imagine what Nintendo could do to make as big a splash as these acquisitions and I’ve decided they should acquire Bandai Namco. Nintendo owning Pac-Man and Gundam and Dragonball would be dope

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Forget the Bungie deal, THIS is the most significant gaming news of the day.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1488265897618046976

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

BoldFace posted:

Forget the Bungie deal, THIS is the most significant gaming news of the day.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1488265897618046976

It seems you have used up your five free Wordles this month. Would you like to subscribe for only 7$ a week?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Moon Monster posted:

I guess they're probably just lying when they say future Bungie games won't be Playstation exclusive. I'm not sure why else they would buy them.

Institutional knowledge in service and multiplatform games and using Bungie's IP in other entertainment ventures. It also seems salient that future Bungie titles will be multiplatform which says nothing of titles they may bring Bungie in to advise or work on.

Lukewarm take: They want to compete with Warzone and Halo Infinite and Bungie's their best shot.

PlayStation: Bungie deal is about multiplatform, live-service games

Gameindustry.Biz posted:

He continues: "Pete and I have spent a lot of time talking, and we were struck by how similarly we see the world. And just how complementary our two organisations are. We're like two pieces of jigsaw that can slot together. They make massive, immersive games that have no end. Whereas PlayStation's strength, as you know, is in the single-player, narrative-rich, stories. Our studios make those games and they are some of the best games you'll find anywhere.

"I've been on record talking about increasing the size of the PlayStation community, and expanding beyond our historic console heartland. This can take many forms. And definitely one of the main ones is the ability for the wonderful games that we've been making over the past 25 years to be enjoyed in different places and played in different ways. We are starting to go multiplatform, you've seen that. We have an aggressive road map with live services. And the opportunity to work with, and particularly learn from, the brilliant and talented people from Bungie... that is going to considerably accelerate the journey we find ourselves on."

"Philosophically, this isn't about pulling things into the PlayStation world. This is about building huge and wonderful new worlds together."

Meanwhile on the Bungie side, Pete Parsons tells GamesIndustry.biz that Sony offers the ability to accelerate its own plans, which includes the prospect of taking its IP to new entertainment mediums, such as TV and film.

"Back in 2016, we set out a vision for ourselves to create worlds and inspire friendships. We wanted to become one of the world's great entertainment companies. And more than that, become a center of creative and technical excellence, so that no matter who you are, where you're from, how you identify, you can feel like you can come to Bungie and do your best work.

"Even though we've been working together since 2013 with Destiny 1, it was remarkable how close [Sony and our] visions were.

"You can't help but look at Sony's accomplishments, not just as a great platform, and having easily some of the best development teams in the entire world. But also one of the greatest entertainment companies in the world. We saw this great opportunity to build -- not just Destiny, we're working on more than Destiny -- these great interactive experiences, which we think we're good at. But also being able to explore these worlds even more."

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 31, 2022

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
soooo.. who wants to buy Chris Roberts Presents: Cloud Imperium Games?

any takers?

...anyone?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Edmund Lava posted:

It seems you have used up your five free Wordles this month. Would you like to subscribe for only 7$ a week?

Can't blame the guy for cashing out but yeah this is gonna kill its momentum so fast

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Now, all games are Taco Bell!

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Rarity posted:

Can't blame the guy for cashing out but yeah this is gonna kill its momentum so fast

It's also going to open NYT to all sorts of lawsuits.

https://youtu.be/O5O7ZCvpItY

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Really great all those hobbyist and semi-pro coders (with a particularly high number of Apple evangelists for some strange reason) helped the Wordle author root out phonies and protect his trademark so that he could sell out to the Times.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Really great all those hobbyist and semi-pro coders (with a particularly high number of Apple evangelists for some strange reason) helped the Wordle author root out phonies and protect his trademark so that he could sell out to the Times.

Wordle sold to the NYT? Indie games are dead!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I mean... good for him? Would have been harder to sell the rights if there hadn't been a backlash against the copycats. Still wasn't the most original idea but the dude could probably use a few bucks for his work.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I mean... good for him? Would have been harder to sell the rights if there hadn't been a backlash against the copycats. Still wasn't the most original idea but the dude could probably use a few bucks for his work.

Yeah I'm not gonna fault that guy at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eej posted:

This is an insane take. The entire point of indies is that an indie studio can form out of one guy in his home office, or two people in their garage, or a group of friends who decide to put together a game together. Big companies might sometimes buy the largest successes but there's nearly a constant churn of new indies to replace them when they "sell out". There is an endless tide of new indie games releasing on Steam every single day; 99% of them are trash almost no one will ever play, but occasionally you get big whammies that rise from the pack.

Remember when indie game development ended the moment Microsoft bought Mojang? Wait, that didn't happen.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 1, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kanos posted:

This is an insane take. The entire point of indies is that an indie studio can form out of one guy in his home office, or two people in their garage, or a group of friends who decide to put together a game together. Big companies might sometimes buy the largest successes but there's nearly a constant churn of new indies to replace them when they "sell out". There is an endless tide of new indie games releasing on Steam every single day; 99% of them are trash almost no one will ever play, but occasionally you get big whammies that rise from the pack.

Remember when indie game development ended the moment Microsoft bought Mojang? Wait, that didn't happen.

Yeah and I'm saying that long term existence as an indie dev is in question now that they will just swoop down and grab you if you get too big. Of course people will continue to make indie games but continued success means you're gonna reach a ceiling where you have to start walking away from a lot of money on the table. I never said indie game development is dead, just the idea of a long term greatly successful independent game development company.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I...don't actually know what you're railing against here. Companies have been buying up dev houses that get big and popular enough for decades. EA founded its entire business model on buying up and hollowing out existing studios. Every major game Valve made after TF2 happened because Valve threw a giant sack of money at an indie studio that had an idea they liked(L4D, Portal, DotA2). Activision devoured numerous mid-tier studios and turned them into CoD sweatshops. "Large companies will buy out smaller companies once the smaller company seems to be worth buying" is not a new trend.

Hell, Bungie isn't even a goddamned indie studio, it's an established mid-sized developer that has sold itself out multiple times in the past and wiggled free. The running joke is that if you've worked at Bungie long enough you've been a Bungie employee, then a Microsoft employee, then a Bungie employee, then an Activision employee, then a Bungie employee, and now a Sony employee without changing jobs.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I work with a lot of start up companies and the absolute dream is to be bought by a bigger company and kept on as directors. So it goes both ways really.
I still work with one that set up purely to get bought out, they make hygiene products and it took about 8 years to get all the tests done that they needed, never made a penny. But, as planned it paid off, they got bought out and put on big salaries and basically gently caress around all day in the same office :v:

What I am saying is it's not always a big shark gobbling the plucky, erm, smaller fish, it is a lot of the time like hitting the jackpot

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Eej posted:

Yeah and I'm saying that long term existence as an indie dev is in question now that they will just swoop down and grab you if you get too big. Of course people will continue to make indie games but continued success means you're gonna reach a ceiling where you have to start walking away from a lot of money on the table. I never said indie game development is dead, just the idea of a long term greatly successful independent game development company.

I don't think the acquisition of Bungie, a company that's been around since 1992 or something, with 900 employees, partly controlled by various megacorps at different times of their live, signifies the death of indie game companies in totality, Eej.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There are for sure indie devs who prefer to stay independent, which is why we have studios like Supergiant and Spiderweb Software. Granted not all can pay the bills in the long run and in those cases they can either sell or take side jobs. Level Up Labs is a good example of the second option, where the main dev contracts for companies like Steam and the designer has a day job at some gaming site.

The industry is definitely harsh on indie studios, but I think that's more an issue with there being a glut of games, platforms like Steam not promoting indie material well and gaming press journalism being just generally terrible for a lot of reasons.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

There are more tools and options for self-publishing and developing indie games now than there have ever been so I have no idea why anyone is proclaiming their death because a company that hasn't technically published an independent title since 1998 got bought out for the 3rd(?) time

Also while I'm posting hot takes Devolver published titles are inherently not Indie either so stop calling them that.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 1, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wait until he hears that most indie companies fail and go out of business!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hear that indie devs who get a breakout hit will use that to fund full time professional game development, thus shedding their indie status. Truly a horrifying state of affairs. Indie games are dead.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think the acquisition of Bungie, a company that's been around since 1992 or something, with 900 employees, partly controlled by various megacorps at different times of their live, signifies the death of indie game companies in totality, Eej.

I think it's just a sign of the times, with how much money the big players have to throw around now. The Bungie deal predates MS buying Activision but that certainly gave Sony an extra sense of urgency to close it. Epic is on a buying spree, acquiring game devs and creation tool companies alike. Everyone's taking their covid profits and consolidating the industry.

So again, to reiterate to all the bad faith posting: growing out into a large independent company is increasingly unlikely now because you'll get bought out by the big dogs.

cheetah7071 posted:

I hear that indie devs who get a breakout hit will use that to fund full time professional game development, thus shedding their indie status. Truly a horrifying state of affairs. Indie games are dead.

I mean there's literally an ongoing concern about the everyone being bought out so... yes it is a concerning state of affairs?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think indie means what you think it means if growing into a large studio still counts for you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In music or whatever it just literally means independently published but that's such a meaningless statement in games these days that it just means small studio run by people who don't have game development as their day job, or didn't until the Kickstarter payout hit

By the time Microsoft even acknowledges your existence you haven't been indie for years

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pirate Jet posted:

Mostly this is a bummer for me because Bungie was killing it in terms of revenue as an independent developer and I was really looking forward to even bigger studios being able to cut out the middleman, but that future seems impossible now. I really have to wonder what was going on behind the scenes that their massive Destiny success still wasn't enough to keep them going on their own.

Jason Jones (or whoever has equity) gets a big payday right now. Even if your company is doing fine, if someone rolls up and says I'll give you a thousand years' profit to sell, you'll sell.

Eej posted:

So again, to reiterate to all the bad faith posting: growing out into a large independent company is increasingly unlikely now because you'll get bought out by the big dogs.

That's how you get rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Does Bungie have any important sex pests, sex predators, or sex predator protectors that Sony might want to do something about? Does Sony have any reason to?

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think indie means what you think it means if growing into a large studio still counts for you
The way people use the term these days it just means "twee games like Unraveled (published by EA)"