Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Tight take from a CA democrat I got put on to yesterday - should we be doing medicare for all when medical care in the US isn't always great so what if we are just giving everyone bad health care, should we be doing this? :( bonus round guess how many figures a year they're making, the answer may surprise you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The Space Force as a branch shouldn't have happened, and is almost real-life Spaceballs in some ways. But the individual members are good folks. And they seem to ride with the memes and take it all in jest, unlike some of the other services.

I disagree, I think its the natural evolution of armed forces. We will be colonizing Mars in ~20 years and I would rather have US have the lead than others. Yeah sure, it seems silly now, but its better to have an organization focused on space supremacy than an organization that has space as a second focus.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The Space Force as a branch shouldn't have happened, and is almost real-life Spaceballs in some ways. But the individual members are good folks. And they seem to ride with the memes and take it all in jest, unlike some of the other services.

But they got Darth Vader and a couple of Stormtroopers to show up at the swearing in ceremony for one of their generals! That counts for something, right?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

nullscan posted:

I would have put money on a Cyber Force before a Space Force though. Just seems like such an unnecessary move. In Korea the only change was a bunch of dudes changing patches and swearing in to a new service.

Honestly cyber makes more sense to be it's own force. The traditional military structure absolutely does not work in cyber. Having the mission set split is dumb since they all wind up under cybercom anyway.

Space planning and execution can be done with the same command structure decently well.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proud Christian Mom posted:

California's single-payer CalCare bill once again died today. Bizarrely all the election time supporters for this, upto and including Gavin Newsom, went completely silent on this issue. Please remember to vote blue no matter who.

That said with it being California I can’t even imagine how much they would’ve screwed it up (at least initially).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That said with it being California I can’t even imagine how much they would’ve screwed it up (at least initially).

Yeah what if they run it like their budget!

No wait… that’s not right.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Razor posted:

Sort of since they both fall under the Department of the Air Force. But it's just basically Air Force Space Command rebranded into its own branch for no reason so Trump could put his name onto something

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Meshka posted:

I disagree, I think its the natural evolution of armed forces. We will be colonizing Mars in ~20 years and I would rather have US have the lead than others. Yeah sure, it seems silly now, but its better to have an organization focused on space supremacy than an organization that has space as a second focus.
Why not just rename the USAF to the USA&SF (or something like that), and shift priorities internally more towards the space domain?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Why not just rename the USAF to the USA&SF (or something like that), and shift priorities internally more towards the space domain?

Not enough new flag and command billets that way. Not to mention not nearly enough administrative overhead achievable

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Air Force’s mission is to bomb the hell out of America’s enemies. Space missions are going to happen soon and you need an organization whose sole focus is on that. Nobody should give a gently caress that AF is losing resources, they have grown partially obsolete.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why not just handoff cyber poo poo to the intelligence agencies, or joint operation of the two? I think at least for the offensive stuff having it handled by NSA or CIA might be better in terms of operational flexibility and authority.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The big question in accessions is what exactly makes someone a Space Force someone. Marines are quite obviously distinguished from the other Navy cadets by their short shorts and pull-up bars, but what do we do, administer extra math tests to Space Force cadets? I can stack pieces of flair upon pieces of flair but if they’re not being held to any kind of higher standard then none of it seems very impressive. It frequently seems like a tremendous amount of admin oversight for people who are mostly going to go do the exact same thing their Air Force counterparts are doing.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The AF has been doing a bunch of space poo poo since what, the '80s? I'm more familiar with the cross-organization stuff, & we seem to be working fine there (by government standards). To be fair, I have heard a bunch of stories from the 1C6 world and about how much it sucks there...so maybe that's due to the AF's lack of focus on that mission set.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

You guys are seriously overthinking a vanity decision made by someone trying to pad out their wikipedia article.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

You know, when the Cabal attack Mars and the Space Force Guardians are our only line of defense ya’ll are going to be eating your hat.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I really wish they went with Jetsons, or one of the other comedy options, when they were figuring out wtf to call themselves. Guardian sounds too War on Terror

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Why not just handoff cyber poo poo to the intelligence agencies, or joint operation of the two? I think at least for the offensive stuff having it handled by NSA or CIA might be better in terms of operational flexibility and authority.

Commander of CYBERCOM has also been Director of NSA from day one.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Wrong Theory posted:

It's off the chain (gun) :dadjoke: I will see myself out

TFR used to have a thread title, "The entire history of firearms development happened between 1911 and 1913". I was proud o' that one

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Kesper North posted:

TFR used to have a thread title, "The entire history of firearms development happened between 1911 and 1913". I was proud o' that one
"The ghoulish, conspiracy-mongering forum"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tiny Timbs posted:

You should really feel no obligation to be fair to the process. There has been, and continues to be, vigorous debate about whether or not the Air Force can handle aircraft well, and that perhaps the Army should expand its ability to field aircraft. Every year since the A-10 program was competitively prototyped and then funded there have been people arguing that it was an absurd and pointless waste of money.

People and flag officers argue for all sorts of dumb poo poo all the god drat time. You're not supposed to give it to them.

I'm not convinced that the Space Force has addressed or shown how they'll address any issues the Air Force had with space acquisitions and operations. It seems to have just taken the existing issues and dumped a bunch of teething issues on top of them.

Because having a Space Force doesn't actually CHANGE how any of that works, except possibly to put more money into the DAF. The regs are the same. The people making the decisions are mostly the same, but their name tapes are a different color. Operationally, USSPACECOM still does the work. Space Force's job is to manage the people and facilities supporting that work...just like AF Space Command did.

Meshka posted:

This is hilariously optimistic. I think you're off by about a factor of 3 or 4. Unless you mean "colonizing" the way we colonized the moon for a couple of weeks total.

Meshka posted:

Air Force’s mission is to bomb the hell out of America’s enemies. Space missions are going to happen soon and you need an organization whose sole focus is on that. Nobody should give a gently caress that AF is losing resources, they have grown partially obsolete.

Space missions already happen, just not the way I think you're imagining.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 1, 2022

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I really wish they went with Jetsons, or one of the other comedy options, when they were figuring out wtf to call themselves. Guardian sounds too War on Terror

It's also the new name of Cleveland's baseball team.

I'm sad they didn't just use the same ranks as the Air Force but replace "airman" with "spaceman" wherever possible, and put "space" in front of everything else. Spaceman First Class. Space Captain. Space Sergeant - no, wait, that one should be "Stargeant" okay I'll see myself out as well

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Godholio posted:

Because having a Space Force doesn't actually CHANGE how any of that works, except possibly to put more money into the DAF. The regs are the same. The people making the decisions are mostly the same. Their name tapes are just a different color. Operationally, USSPACECOM still does the work. Space Force's job is to manage the people and facilities supporting that work...just like AF Space Command did.

This is hilariously optimistic. I think you're off by about a factor of 3 or 4. Unless you mean "colonizing" the way we colonized the moon for a couple of weeks total.

Space missions already happen, just not the way I think you're imagining.

No, as much as goons like to poo poo on Musk, space X has advanced rockets far faster than whatever bullshit contract NASA gave to legacy companies. Starship will fly in FY2022, with technology far better developed than loving SLS.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

Commander of CYBERCOM has also been Director of NSA from day one.

Interesting I wasn’t even aware of that.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's also the new name of Cleveland's baseball team.

I'm sad they didn't just use the same ranks as the Air Force but replace "airman" with "spaceman" wherever possible, and put "space" in front of everything else. Spaceman First Class. Space Captain. Space Sergeant - no, wait, that one should be "Stargeant" okay I'll see myself out as well

Star Captain you say....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Meshka posted:

No, as much as goons like to poo poo on Musk, space X has advanced rockets far faster than whatever bullshit contract NASA gave to legacy companies. Starship will fly in FY2022, with technology far better developed than loving SLS.

That's because they were spending money the way NASA wanted, rather than Musk making the decisions. NASA funding kept Space X alive when Falcon-1s were failing left and right. Space X has done best when it's left to the experts rather than the politicians and the investment manipulators.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Meshka posted:

:ok:

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Godholio posted:

That's because they were spending money the way NASA wanted, rather than Musk making the decisions. NASA funding kept Space X alive when Falcon-1s were failing left and right. Space X has done best when it's left to the experts rather than the politicians and the investment manipulators.

Sure maybe, but all that tells me is that NASA realized the benefit of a productive private partnership. Space X is so far ahead of Boeing that any contract to them looks like straight up corruption.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol from this quote it doesn't sound like you really know much of anything about how our immigration system works.

There are no "requirements" to enter the country illegally. People enter this country with bricks of cocaine or illegal guns illegally. They are not entitled to the same process or legal protections as people who do enter legally.

You also have much less significant protections from removal if you enter the country illegally, could potentially damage or jeopardize your ability to enter or remain in the United States permanently, and a whole slew of additional dangers if you are not documented. The process is not as simple as "claiming refugee status" in order to prevent removal after Customs finds an undocumented person.

I don't know what this means
I'm talking about the people that give up to the customs and border protection and then stay in the country..

You know the people that everyone was concerned were in concentration camps that are now just soft-sided buildings because we can't call them tents?

Those people, who are in federal custody or at least under the care of the customs and board of protection however you want to say it are free to refuse the vaccine and any covid testing and get the stay in the country.

Meanwhile people who want to enter the country legally have to show approved vaccination.

And as far as no one being forced to take the vaccine, That's a little like saying no one is forced to sleep with the boss they just will lose their job if they don't.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So what exactly is your argument here? Forcible testing and vaccination of anyone suspected of entering the country illegally? Because you’re going to run into a phalanx of lawyers real quick if that’s the case.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

pantslesswithwolves posted:

So what exactly is your argument here? Forcible testing and vaccination of anyone suspected of entering the country illegally? Because you’re going to run into a phalanx of lawyers real quick if that’s the case.

How about enforcing immigrations laws?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Meshka posted:

:lol:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Meshka posted:

I, too, look forward to reading about tales of oppression and abuse on Musk's libertarian utopia Mars colony on SolNet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Deport Elon Musk, nationalize SpaceX.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bring back NERVA

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There was a recent photo of Elon Musk, Jordan Peterson, and Joe Rogan all hanging out together in front of a Cybertrukk and all I could think of was "one JDAM and we could be rid of four terrible plagues upon this earth"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

There was a recent photo of Elon Musk, Jordan Peterson, and Joe Rogan all hanging out together in front of a Cybertrukk and all I could think of was "one JDAM and we could be rid of four terrible plagues upon this earth"

https://twitter.com/danahull/status/1487642165865902083?s=20&t=hpNTpHC2SeQgW6UOrjPhsA

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
33 year old teacher set himself on fire outside a police station in Italy, supposedly over losing his job due to vax mandates, but the latter part is currently still Twitter speculation, so grain of salt and all.

There's a video on Twitter, but if you do not like humans on fire, or haunting howls of agony, I'd recommend you don't watch it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Should've done it outside a fire department, at least

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
What a stupid loving way and reason to kill yourself. At least he’s not gonna be taking up a ventilator and ICU bed with Omicron.

He regretted doing what he did, you can tell. The guys marbles were clearly lost. I hope if there is something after this mortal life that he’s shown mercy and comfort. Even if he’s a dumbass antivaxxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Zamujasa posted:

Should've done it outside a fire department, at least

It happened near an auto shop and three people from there ran out and sprayed him with fire extinguishers, to little effect.