Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
https://youtu.be/j3N7zOiKdBE

get in the mood before posting. control urselves ITT for once in ur life

:france: :france:

p sure we've never had a france goon which is a shame. now's ur time 2 shine all u golden Canadian gods

Areola Grande fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 28, 2022

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

not bad u say. if so this one is p good also

https://youtu.be/_15g5g6txmk

:guillotine:

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

I'm not from France but my dad's family started in France as farmers like 600 years ago. we got our family name when one of us was a bodyguard for some french duke. they were among the first people who migrated to Quebec from France, then moved into the us in like 1800. does that all count

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Areola Grande

your friend sk posted:

I'm not from France but my dad's family started in France as farmers like 600 years ago. we got our family name when one of us was a bodyguard for some french duke. they were among the first people who migrated to Quebec from France, then moved into the us in like 1800. does that all count

yes! let's hear ur French

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
garcon, un pipi et une poupou

Areola Grande

Plant MONSTER. posted:

garcon, un pipi et une poupou

Bonsoir joulie poupe'e

https://youtu.be/6tI7KQQjLho :lofty:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Areola Grande posted:

yes! let's hear ur French

je suis un petit pas français, mais je ne me parle pas françois

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

your friend sk posted:

je suis un petit pas français, mais je ne me parle pas françois

this is a real life "I only know that sentence and this one explaining it" situation

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Désolé, je ne suis pas français.

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

give me one

of those macaron

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

Finger Prince

I wonder if French people are like "Avec la langue?? Beurk! C'est dégueu!"

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i ain't talkin no fronch

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

French Accent

i've been in a french school all my life. it's not that good of a language

French Accent

your friend sk posted:

there are a lot of fun stories involving the first european people moving to "the new world", or Nouvelle-France, before it was called Quebec. if i remember correctly, a lot of them were lumberjacks.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
making french post itt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

Nosfereefer posted:

making french post itt

French Accent

c'est la vie

biosterous

not bothering putting in the accent markings, but

j'etais dans l'immersion francais pour neuf ans, donc je peus parler un peux de francais, et je peus lire francais, mais ma grammaire est terrible. aussi, quand les francophones parlent avec la vitesse, je ne peus pas comprendre.

probably hosed up my conjugation/spelling too, but i mean i said my grammar was bad so i should get a pass imo

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Huck Finn and Jim explain how i feel about french:

Huck: "Spose a man was to come to you and say Polly-voo-franzy - what would you think?”

Jim: “I wouldn’t think nuff’n; I’d take en bust him over de head."
Huck: "It's only saying, do you know how to talk French?"

Jim: "Well, den, why couldn't he SAY it?"

Huck: "Why, he IS a-saying it. That's a Frenchman's WAY of saying it."

Jim: "Well, it's a blame ridicklous way, en I doan' want to hear no mo' 'bout it. Dey ain' no sense in it."

Macnult

la petite mort :wink:

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

French Accent posted:

i've been in a french school all my life. it's not that good of a language

I was brought up in the french catholic school environment lol. Our librarian was an ex-navy lieutenant and she broke glass jars when she was mad

cruft

My last name is French. I thought it was Anglish but it turns out it's Norman, and, well, 1066. Unrelated to that, there's a French lady in my ancestry like 4-5 generations back.

I also speak barely-fluent French, but because I'm a weirdo, I worked really hard on getting a good Parisian accent early on and now I'm hosed because native speakers use my accent as a cue to go a million miles an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIqVY1SwXls <-- c'est moi içi.

e: ne pas au sens propre

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 28, 2022

Manifisto

one thing travel in french speaking areas (uh, france especially) teaches you is that you should not try to predict what foods/dishes actually are relying solely on a basic knowledge of grammar and vocabulary plus a small general purpose phrasebook. nor can you rely on asking the server to explain what the dishes are if they're going to answer in french, you'll likely still end up confused but feeling like you have to eventually pretend to understand so you aren't there all day/night.

one of my best discoveries, and this is from back in the days before smartphones made paper guides largely superfluous, was a small book called "eating & drinking in france" which was a good size for slipping into a pocket or daypack. this focused on decoding the specialized vocabulary of menus and lowered the risk of being delivered a mystery plate that is nothing like what you pictured.

this is not necessarily an unmitigated good. ordering stuff without knowing exactly what it is can be a good way of broadening your culinary horizons, and even the misfires can make for a fun story. however it is not necessarily satisfying to leave a plate of food largely untouched after eating a few bites, it's wasteful and you're still hungry to boot.

ty nesamdoom!

cruft

Manifisto posted:

one thing travel in french speaking areas (uh, france especially) teaches you is that you should not try to predict what foods/dishes actually are relying solely on a basic knowledge of grammar and vocabulary plus a small general purpose phrasebook. nor can you rely on asking the server to explain what the dishes are if they're going to answer in french, you'll likely still end up confused but feeling like you have to eventually pretend to understand so you aren't there all day/night.

one of my best discoveries, and this is from back in the days before smartphones made paper guides largely superfluous, was a small book called "eating & drinking in france" which was a good size for slipping into a pocket or daypack. this focused on decoding the specialized vocabulary of menus and lowered the risk of being delivered a mystery plate that is nothing like what you pictured.

this is not necessarily an unmitigated good. ordering stuff without knowing exactly what it is can be a good way of broadening your culinary horizons, and even the misfires can make for a fun story. however it is not necessarily satisfying to leave a plate of food largely untouched after eating a few bites, it's wasteful and you're still hungry to boot.

I made this same discovery in Belgium, trying to ask what was on a menu with my Pretty Good Accent, and having to walk out mystified, because everyone in my party is vegetarian and hell if I know what she just said.

Also France is way less veggie friendly than any other country in Europe. Montreal was frickin' awesome though, and a lot cheaper for us to get to, so that's where we're going next time :)

poverty goat

when I was a kid we went to europe and arrived in a small town in germany on a sunday when everything was closed except for the italian restaurant where i ordered a pizza w/ pepperoni which came out w/ pepperoncinis. it was hosed

Heather Papps

hello friend

i spent a good chunk of my primary school education in french immersion, and it has helped me once.

when i was a chunky pre teen i was at a ski hill with pals riding the tube hill and some french guys called me a "cochon" and then laughed, but i was able to look at him and say "je parle francais, mon ami" and they got really awkward.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

biosterous posted:

aussi, quand les francophones parlent avec la vitesse, je ne peus pas comprendre.

it gets worse if they've got a few beers in em.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Finger Prince

I learned high school French which is nothing at all like Quebecois, so it was always useless to me, but the first time I went to Geneva I was brave and spoke French to a shopkeeper in a patisserie or confection shop and to my surprise, I could understand her almost perfectly and she complimented me on my French. It turns out Swiss French is very neutral (huh, that's kind of interesting). I can manage ok in France, but their regional accents can get difficult.
Once I managed a whole interaction with a waiter in a cafe in Paris in french and he was none the wiser until the very end when I said "je suis fini", and he did that screech to a halt, turn back, and wagged his finger and said "non, j'ai fini. Je suis fini, c'est *throat cutting motion*" and said I was doing great right up to that point, he didn't realize I wasn't French.
My problem is I'm very good at mimicking accents and filler words, so it sounds like I'm local and I've had quite a few deer in headlights moments when the other person assumes I'm fluent and goes full first language on me.

Escape From Noise

Wee wee!

Honhonhon!

Areola Grande

Escape From Noise posted:

Wee wee!

Honhonhon!

but of course :wotwot:

Plant MONSTER.

Une fois j’ai trouvé un petit truc qui était rempli de plein de cochonneries comme des croustilles et des guimauves. Après tout cela, j’ai décidé de fumer la drogue BYOB, le weede.

hooksocks

cat flag

free hubcaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agL9ftHYrRQ

free hubcaps

philippe druillet is a french guy who kicks "le butt" iykwim

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 1, 2022

sephiRoth IRA

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Je voudrais peloter ce chat, mais j'ai dit "cette chatte" et maintenant ma femme ne cesse pas me suvier environ

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
being european myself, i maintain that the french are outrageous stereotypes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RepeatingMeme

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Lookit all dem accent marks *whistles, impressed*

Finger Prince

Nosfereefer posted:

being european myself, i maintain that the french are outrageous stereotypes

It would be disappointing if they weren't.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m going to invade this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m going to invade this thread