Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

As someone who has watched all 300+ hours of the Campaign 1 stream, I can say honestly that it took me a while to warm up to Scanlan. I didn't find his whole sex-obsessed gimmick funny, I get secondhand embarrassment from song parodies, and Scanlan is very reticent with any background information about himself so it felt like he didn't have a story at all. There is a very specific point where I started to like Scanlan and I don't know if it'll be in this season or the next but I truly can't fathom them skipping it because it's a pivotal turning point for him and gives him actual impetus to even have a character arc. If you're not digging Scanlan right now, I promise he gets better (even if he's never not an Eminem parody).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing I think the show weirdly messed up is I think the first two episodes should've made it clear that part of Keyleth's powerset includes turning INTO animals. Even the bird moment in episode 3 is kind of 'blink and you'll miss it'.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I do sort of hope that the show doesn't become too much less self-referential and tropey. Part of the fun so far is to see a lot of these gamey conventions onscreen like clutch Barbarian Rage and also "yeah this guy is obviously a vampire. Just, clearly so much a vampire."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

AngryBooch posted:

Scanlan has a moment during the Briarwood arc that I can't wait to see animated. It makes it absolutely clear that sure, Scanlan is a funny meta character, but absolutely can't be underestimated.

There's a scene in the trailer of Scanlan looking back at something while Bigby's Hand is giving the finger and I'm assuming that's right before he jumps off the roof.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
It’s going to be disappointing but understandable when some anticipated scenes or even characters might not make the cut. But it’s to be expected. You can only do so much with 300 hours of stuff and have squeeze it into 20 minute episodes without making it seem like time-wasting filler. There is no way they are going to do the Chroma Conclave arc in just one season. That definitely sounds like a 2 or optimistically 3 season ordeal. As long as they do a good job with what they present.

I know it might become a longshot but the one scene I want to see animated is (Campaign Episode 103 spoilers) when Grog and Scanlan induce widespread panic in Vassleheim to get out of being arrested. But that scene also requires having the Grog and Taryon shopping disaster that caused it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
A scene that could end up in this season is Grog and the sword having a chat in the out house while Scanlan takes lookout. Was one of the early campaign pivotal moments where you get a sense for how genius Travis played Grog. Grog and any time the deck will come up is another. Same really for when Travis and Sam can really riff off each other.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

DesertIslandHermit posted:

If it's the scene I think you're thinking of, then yeah. That was when I went from liking Scanlan to loving him.
That whole sequence of events was accentuated by same Sam showing up straight after work (late for the start) still rocking a tie that didn't stay around his neck for long.

It was an immortal moment and they would be mad not to include it.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I think another good thing of Pike being around for the show this time is that we get more scenes of her and Grog. It was an unfortunate blindspot (:rimshot:) of the first campaign given they are the little big sister and the big little brother of the party. Better siblings than Vax and Vex. Their scenes together stood out in the first episode because the party seemed pouty with each other. But not them. :3:

DesertIslandHermit fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 31, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Agaragon posted:

Yeah, Sam Riegel is, and I mean this as a compliment, a menace to society that refuses to be stopped.

I got to see them live and this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4RPUQ8K4dI

I cannot express how awesome the experience was. Every single person was on the edge of their seat for the huge fight and they almost wiped. You could feel the tension. They technically should have wiped because someone lost count of their ki points. But, ya know, rule of cool wins out every time.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

There's a scene in the trailer of Scanlan looking back at something while Bigby's Hand is giving the finger and I'm assuming that's right before he jumps off the roof.

Just saw the playlist on Spotify.

Song 27, titled Scanbo.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Paracaidas posted:

^^^Underdark arc was worth it for Clarota :colbert:

That brings up one of the groups of changes they're going to have to have made for the show. Because the show isn't D&D-licensed, there's a bunch of signature monsters and elements (referred to by Wizards as "Product Identity") that are very much Wizards-owned IP, Illithids and Beholders both being on that list (we've already seen changes for this reason, referring to Vecna as only the "Whispered One" and with both eyes covered; "Scanlan's Hand"). Relatedly, (and I do mean relatedly, as Hasbro owns WotC) they changed "Jenga" to "chenga," a made up word we will be hearing quite a lot of over time.

I think the Rescue Lady Kima arc is the last time any of those monsters are quite so vital to the story (this being 2022, you can just call demons and devils demons and devils), and Mercer largely changed the cosmology anyway, despite some old plane names being in the stream.

(Fun bit of trivia, 3/11 of the creatures on that list were created by Charles Stross, Hugo-award winning author, when he was a teen.)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Test Pattern posted:

That brings up one of the groups of changes they're going to have to have made for the show. Because the show isn't D&D-licensed, there's a bunch of signature monsters and elements (referred to by Wizards as "Product Identity") that are very much Wizards-owned IP, Illithids and Beholders both being on that list (we've already seen changes for this reason, referring to Vecna as only the "Whispered One" and with both eyes covered; "Scanlan's Hand"). Relatedly, (and I do mean relatedly, as Hasbro owns WotC) they changed "Jenga" to "chenga," a made up word we will be hearing quite a lot of over time.

I think the Rescue Lady Kima arc is the last time any of those monsters are quite so vital to the story (this being 2022, you can just call demons and devils demons and devils), and Mercer largely changed the cosmology anyway, despite some old plane names being in the stream.

(Fun bit of trivia, 3/11 of the creatures on that list were created by Charles Stross, Hugo-award winning author, when he was a teen.)

Pike not calling her goddess Seranrae is another example. I think that comes from pathfinder though rather than D&D. They started out in pathfinder if I'm not mistaken.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The slightly shaky part is the Exandria gods are mentioned in official D&D setting content because of there being multiple official books but I assume Willingham or the lawyers negotiated IP rights to that stuff in that deal.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sorta, So their official WotC licensed book Explorers guide to wildmount has the real names.

But the Taldorei books do not.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Just get Jeffy B on the phone and have him buy Hasbro. Bing-bong, so simple.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They weren't fully licensed when the Tal'Dorei book came out, so they ceased publication and now it's worth a pile. They have been since, as far as I have heard, fully licensed for their products going forward, including the newest book and anything in the future. The show itself included. Otherwise, we'd hear Grog wanting to "get angry" instead of rage. Or Scanlan casting "purple hand" instead of "Bigby's Hand" etc.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Philthy posted:

They weren't fully licensed when the Tal'Dorei book came out, so they ceased publication and now it's worth a pile. They have been since, as far as I have heard, fully licensed for their products going forward, including the newest book and anything in the future. The show itself included. Otherwise, we'd hear Grog wanting to "get angry" instead of rage. Or Scanlan casting "purple hand" instead of "Bigby's Hand" etc.

Scanlan is using "Scanlan's" hand in the show he yells it out when he's casting it

Raging isn't owned by WotC

Their new book Taldorei Reborn is not via Wizards, which is why it uses alternative names like the scaled tyrant for Tiamat

They are making an adventure call of the netherdeep which is officially Wizards licensed though.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Philthy posted:

Otherwise, we'd hear Grog wanting to "get angry" instead of rage. Or Scanlan casting "purple hand" instead of "Bigby's Hand" etc.
I mean, it's literally cast as Scanlan's hand in the animated series but I take the point and that could just as easily be not wanting to confuse viewers ("who the gently caress is Bigsby? I thought he was Scanlan")

In other news, a reminder that there's a Twitch Watch Party at 7pm PT tomorrow (Tuesday 2/1) with the cast -- which could provide that live broadcast feel for anyone looking to watch/rewatch together. I don't know that I'll be able to make it, but wanted to mention it to anyone interested.

Depending on how that goes and when the next tranche of episodes actually hit Prime, may ask someone (you there, Ath?) to change the thread title to include something like "Release Thurs Night, Watch Party following Tues"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dexo posted:

Scanlan is using "Scanlan's" hand in the show he yells it out when he's casting it

Raging isn't owned by WotC

Their new book Taldorei Reborn is not via Wizards, which is why it uses alternative names like the scaled tyrant for Tiamat

They are making an adventure call of the netherdeep which is officially Wizards licensed though.

Yeah, the Tal'Dorei book reprint is being done through Darrington Press, AKA Critical Role themselves.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Also apparently the storyboard team was bored early during production. I'd watch a feature length documentary on the how and why of this gorgeous piece of art.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kenyu05/status/1488289600002949125

Eta: also thriller
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kattakind/status/1488317076682903553

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 1, 2022

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Paracaidas posted:

Also apparently the storyboard team was bored early during production. I'd watch a feature length documentary on the how and why of this gorgeous piece of art.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kenyu05/status/1488289600002949125

Eta: also thriller
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kattakind/status/1488317076682903553

I did not need Trinket giving me bedroom eyes, yet here we are.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I say gently caress the tone. Just have them do this once they get to Whitestone.

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

My friend is a huge critter, and I never really got into it. I've listened to about one episode. I liked it, but at this point it seems like such a massive thing to try to get into. So watching this was basically required reading or she would vibrate into another plane of existence in her rage. I've played some D&D but not lots. I liked the show! My husband and I laughed at the jokes, and speculated about what spells they were using. I'm looking forward to more.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Wyld Karde posted:

I did not need Trinket giving me bedroom eyes, yet here we are.

I did not realize my life was incomplete until I saw Trinket's come hither stare.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tinydryad posted:

My friend is a huge critter, and I never really got into it. I've listened to about one episode. I liked it, but at this point it seems like such a massive thing to try to get into. So watching this was basically required reading or she would vibrate into another plane of existence in her rage. I've played some D&D but not lots. I liked the show! My husband and I laughed at the jokes, and speculated about what spells they were using. I'm looking forward to more.

Thankfully, if you (or anyone else coming in because of the cartoon) want to try the stream again the campaigns aren't connected so you can just start with the newest one (which only has 11 episodes so far) and not have to worry about the 100s of hours from the other two campaigns.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I find the credits amusing:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Nemo2342 posted:

Thankfully, if you (or anyone else coming in because of the cartoon) want to try the stream again the campaigns aren't connected so you can just start with the newest one (which only has 11 episodes so far) and not have to worry about the 100s of hours from the other two campaigns.

Campaign 3 does bring up the arc the show is going into now. It might have to wait until after the season ends, which is just three weeks.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think the first two eps were tolerable and the third was good, I think the limitations of the medium will go a long way to making Vax and Percy tolerable.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think the first two eps were tolerable and the third was good, I think the limitations of the medium will go a long way to making Vax and Percy tolerable.

Percy will never be tolerable and Vax is just a sad boy. Just such a sad boy.

So sad.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The Briarwoods arc is Percy’s personal story mission so they’ll have to work to sell him at his lowest.

Liam O’Brien will forever be a sad boy in every campaign.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It’s not so much the sad boy routine although that is annoying it’s the multiple 10 minute emotional sidebars per episode that will certainly be trimmed down.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Push El Burrito posted:

Percy will never be tolerable and Vax is just a sad boy. Just such a sad boy.

So sad.

Percy's great because you're either making fun at him for being a twat, making fun of him because he just made a Good Life Choice, OR making fun of him because he's went and gone absolutely feral. The only time you're not making fun of him is when he's just dropped a really good line. Then you start making fun of him again because that's not him, that's his Taliesin showing.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I like Percy and Vax :(

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
It's been very interesting watching this with my roommate, who doesn't watch Critical Role but does play d&d. Them being aware of the risks you take as a player when you split off from the party really added to the tension in episode 3. I will say though, trying not to accidentally spoil anything while watching with them has been a real struggle.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Not knowing anything about campaign 1, it was cool going back and seeing how Ep. 3 played out in the D&D session. It's kind of fun watching TV "backwards" like that sometimes.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Agaragon posted:

Percy's great because you're either making fun at him for being a twat, making fun of him because he just made a Good Life Choice, OR making fun of him because he's went and gone absolutely feral. The only time you're not making fun of him is when he's just dropped a really good line. Then you start making fun of him again because that's not him, that's his Taliesin showing.

Percy's my favorite character from Campaign 1 because he's simultaneously the smartest person in the room and also the biggest loving idiot in the room at any given time. He makes some of the worst life choices you can imagine and you just have to sit back and scream "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" while he blithely goes about his business. Then on rare occasions, he actually does something right and you cheer for him! And then he fucks it up again because he's a dipshit and Taliesin loves when bad things happen to his characters.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Percy left a pretty good introduction in C1 because he fires guns and Talisin is known for rolling Nat 20s so he tends to just overkill enemies and might make a snark comment about it. The show’s first couple episodes left him pretty skim besides a couple smartass things he says. Episode 3 having him try to act the most mature and convince the party to be formal only to completely lose it does a better summary of his character.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is Keyleth's Wind Walk mishap in the Briarwood arc? I kinda want to see that animated.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

That was in the gap between the Briarwood arc and the next arc. I don't know how much of that we're going to get if they want to set up the next season before this one ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Speaking of Keylith, I can't wait for the we're basically gods moment in... probably season 2? 3? moment.