Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Discord's a social-media platform, with all the moderation and negative PR that comes with that. Apple's done well to stay out of this space, and just integrating with Discord seems like the best of both worlds without being responsible for managing the whole mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Discord has tried to sell at least two times now, but the price tag is apparently too high to get any takers. They reportedly had a 7 billion dollar valuation in late 2020, but it sounds like they want more than that.

Having online behavioral data of 150 million users that primarily self-select as gamers isn't bad if you're in the industry and want to sell products to them. I don't know if they sell that data (Discord says they don't).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
From just massive hit games

Dead Cells was made by a French game studio run on collectivist/anarchist ideals. They just released their last DLC and are working on a new game

Stardew Valley is still receiving content updates

Factorio's studio didn't sell out but the creator quit to be rich while a maintenance team does bug fixes

Facepunch Studios is still updating Rust and has announced a sequel to Garry's Mod

Innersloth still hasn't sold out

Edmund McMillan released a couple of stinkers and got stuck in the procedural generation trap but funded the team that fixed large parts of BOI that were making the player base unhappy in the latest DLC

Meanwhile in indie games that aren't hits

Spy Party is still being worked on

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is nearing release

Cruelty Squad exists

The solo dev of Vault of The Void is plugging along

etc etc etc

but the indies are dead or going to die when the last purchase of an indie studio that killed that studio dead was the valve acquisition of the Firewatch studio

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 1, 2022

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kliras posted:

Discord's a social-media platform, with all the moderation and negative PR that comes with that. Apple's done well to stay out of this space, and just integrating with Discord seems like the best of both worlds without being responsible for managing the whole mess.

Apple has tried launching their own social media multiple times, all attempts failed miserably.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kanos posted:

If I'm being charitable, I can mentally recontextualize Eej's concern as being about middle-tier A or AA developers, which absolutely have basically become endangered. But those are a very, very different thing from "indies" as used in reference to the game industry - nobody is going to refer to a company with hundreds of employees and a 20 year development pedigree like Bungie as an "indie studio", even if they are independent. When people talk about "indie developers", they're talking about operations like Toby Fox or the Terraria guys or ConcernedApe or Yacht Club.

I had to read that last bit a couple times to realize you weren't making an NFT joke.

It is interesting how "Indies" have changed from 15 years ago. They used to be mostly 1-3 person side hustles with a few rare cases like Spiderweb that made viable long term businesses out of it. These days they're actual professional game developers. But yeah, absolutely not endangered.

Mid-tier or whatever feels like it's been attenuating for ages though, yeah.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
remember when discord tried to sell games? lol

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Discord is still relatively new on the scene and it doesn’t have much in the way of user investment on its platform. Sure it has things like communities and servers and the like but it has nothing that the apps it came in and replaced (Mumble, Teamspeak, Skype) didn’t have except maybe an easily-cancellable premium subscription. It got to the spot it’s in by being the first chat client in a long time that wasn’t miserable to use, I think any company that buys them out is going to be surprised to find a lot of its user base views it as utterly replaceable - a lesson the company itself learned when they lost a sizeable amount of Nitro subscribers in response to planned NFT integration.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

fez_machine posted:

From just massive hit games
Edmund McMillan released a couple of stinkers and got stuck in the procedural generation trap but funded the team that fixed large parts of BOI that were making the player base unhappy in the latest DLC

I got scared reading Ed McMillan's name in this thread for a moment. Hopefully Bumbo ends up on consoles sooner or later, but he takes his time with his games, I've been waiting on Mewgenics forever.

Outside of games, he also sells card games. We regularly play the Binding of Isaac card game and it's really drat fun. The newest expansion got a really successful Kickstarter last year. A lot of indie game characters are also going to show up as cards.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Pirate Jet posted:

Discord is still relatively new on the scene and it doesn’t have much in the way of user investment on its platform. Sure it has things like communities and servers and the like but it has nothing that the apps it came in and replaced (Mumble, Teamspeak, Skype) didn’t have except maybe an easily-cancellable premium subscription. It got to the spot it’s in by being the first chat client in a long time that wasn’t miserable to use, I think any company that buys them out is going to be surprised to find a lot of its user base views it as utterly replaceable - a lesson the company itself learned when they lost a sizeable amount of Nitro subscribers in response to planned NFT integration.

Buddy I know the covid time dilation effect is real and strong but Discord is not relatively new lol. It has been around for 7 years now. There's a reason it also blasted mumble ventrilo and co out of the water, too- Because the client is actually very good. (I agree that it's a good thing people cancelled nitro over the prospect of getting in to dumbshit loving nft crap though, obviously).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Stux posted:

however please instead fall over yourselves to keep doing your VERY funny owns in this VERY funny thread.

Gonna cry?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Discord doesn't really have functioning business model apart from perhaps collecting and selling user data. They have experimented with advertising, selling games, nitro, server boosts etc but nothing so far has proven successful. They do have a big userbase and metrics on them and in these insane times, that's worth a lot of money to the right companies.

E: Like Discord has a valuation of 15 billion despite earning peanuts. Its a pretty typical model of a tech start-up that burns money to gain popularity with the hope of selling for a huge price in the future.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 1, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I also have to wonder what the upsurge in video streaming for COVID is doing to their profit margins and burn rate.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Christian Arends shares another great take on ravens union efforts

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1488511453065715797?s=20&t=Z0pQZlwdLC9YNyXOXXfHcA

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We can only make great games by exploiting you why are you ruining this :qq:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

What would having discord's userbase do for, for example, Sony?

i think microsoft would probably have an interest lol

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Clarste posted:

(Undertale's Toby Fox has almost certainly gotten offers, at least).

I legitimately wonder just how big the offers he’s gotten are. Undertale was such a surprise smash hit that I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s basically set for life financially-speaking, considering he assembled a small team to make Deltarune despite his only income from it so far has been OST sales.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's been a while since Microsoft was a serious player in non-enterprise chat (Teams is reasonably popular in enterprise at least) and given that the Xbox interface seemingly wants to be integrated with a chat platform yeah I can see them. Maybe Google but idk about their seriousness when it comes to gaming focused stuff

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Andrast posted:

We are still talking about video game companies and the videogame industry right? Like, I could see a tech company like google or facebook buying discord for the usual reasons but lmao at goddamn Sony or Microsoft or whatever buying discord for gamer habits.

Data is the new oil now. Having insight on how gamers communicate down to the way they type or how many smileys they use is something that any service who cares to stay relevant is looking for. It sounds dumb, I know but every single aspect of how you use a service is tracked from how many seconds you sit looking at someone's profile to the way you navigate menus.

Edit: even if it's not used immediately, having information like that could absolutely help companies to make certain decisions based on how the userbase responds or interacts with certain things. And since Discord encompasses pretty much all of the consoles, you'd have insight on how to better leverage that information and take a larger slice of the pie in some aspect as a business.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 1, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If Discord wasn’t so minor compared to the other social networks it’d be getting a ton more flak for the shenanigans going on the platform. They barely invest in detection and moderation.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Data is absolutely not the new oil, and all that data is entirely useless if you can't utilize it to advertise to people.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you ahve to do something???????? with a resource?????????? crazy lkol. well its lucky no one in the gameing space is interested in data because of this.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Data is absolutely not the new oil, and all that data is entirely useless if you can't utilize it to advertise to people.

Data analytics is bigger than ever and until pro-privacy laws are put in place, companies are going to try to milk anything they can from a userbase. Advertising to consumers based on demographics is the most primitive form there is. Google and Amazon aren't embedding themselves into every aspect of home life just to feed you ads.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[hanging off of a giant lever in windows 10/11 labelled "telemetry" clearly unable to move it to the off position] interesting. and you believe companies in the gaming industry care about such things? how purile

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Stux posted:

[hanging off of a giant lever in windows 10/11 labelled "telemetry" clearly unable to move it to the off position] interesting. and you believe companies in the gaming industry care about such things? how purile

No it's just all there to look pretty :biglips:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stux posted:

you ahve to do something???????? with a resource?????????? crazy lkol. well its lucky no one in the gameing space is interested in data because of this.

Why are you doing your tired old gimmick again?

cage-free egghead posted:

Data analytics is bigger than ever and until pro-privacy laws are put in place, companies are going to try to milk anything they can from a userbase. Advertising to consumers based on demographics is the most primitive form there is. Google and Amazon aren't embedding themselves into every aspect of home life just to feed you ads.

It always is what it boils down to, and why Google and Amazon are doing what they're doing. Just having random "data" is not valuable in itself at all.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cage-free egghead posted:

Well with google and facebook, they can also charge poo poo loads more for targeted ads, which they can of course target via you know, user data.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fame Douglas posted:

It always is what it boils down to, and why Google and Amazon are doing what they're doing. Just having random "data" is not valuable in itself at all.

google's combined market cap is $1.793 trillion

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There is actually some evidence that targeted advertising is less effective than tailoring advertising towards a specific website. Its going to take years before the marketing world catches on though. Video advertising is still huge even though the move to video was based on metrics from Facebook that were discovered to be fraudulent like 5 years ago.

I do think a lot of smaller tech-savvy businesses are going to move away from targeted advertising soon. All the major platforms keep cranking the price up on targeted ads.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

the random dataset of a high spending consumer segment talking about products using an identifiable account

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Team17 pull back from the NFT brink, as do several other projects.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1488620640533950473

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Warthur posted:

Team17 pull back from the NFT brink, as do several other projects.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1488620640533950473

Faced with all this evidence I can only conclude that bullying is good

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I'd advise against excessive hope on this one, they just haven't figured out a gift that works for themselves rather than Etherium whales yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
NFTs themselves are only designed for crypto whales, they'd probably be better off with a non-NFT grift otherwise. That itself is the grift that NFT enthusiasts are selling the rest of us.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://twitter.com/GilvaSunner/status/1488555303918616581?s=20&t=yeZUV2yZSJMHAvMElRPTiw

For those not in the know, GilvaSunner has been the biggest uploader of Nintendo game soundtracks for like, a decade+ on youtube. He's giving up the ghost after another series of copyright strikes, with Nintendo more or less still refusing to put their music out there to be available for listening anywhere else.

I really hate how backwards about the internet Japanese game companies seem to be in general. Atlus like, locking parts of their games from being able to be streamed online comes to mind, but I think at this point while just about every western company accepts that streaming is huge free promotion for your game, Japanese devs are still incredibly worried that people will just watch and steal their game on a stream instead of playing it. I think everything about how Nintendo handles friend codes and minimizes player interaction is very very well known at this point, much to peoples' inconvenience.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I honestly can't get too upset when a company stops people from uploading their soundtracks. There's no fair use there - there's no commentary, criticism, educational purpose, or any sort of derived work. It's just here, have someone else's content, on me.

There's a plethora of issues with the whole system, but I don't find that one of them.

Hell, the FFXIV devs are ok with it as long as you slap it on top of in-game footage and it's not just a datamine or monetized. At least there's something there.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 2, 2022

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Sure, but in Nintendo's case they just kinda... refuse to actually make their music accessible anywhere else. It's not even something you can pay them for the privilege to hear it, aside from finding an old console and a copy of the game (due to Nintendo's weird issues with actually making their back catalog accessible)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I honestly can't get too upset when a company stops people from uploading their soundtracks. There's no fair use there - there's no commentary, criticism, educational purpose, or any sort of derived work. It's just here, have someone else's content, on me.

There's a plethora of issues with the whole system, but I don't find that one of them.

Hell, the FFXIV devs are ok with it as long as you slap it on top of in-game footage and it's not just a datamine or monetized. At least there's something there.

this. if people are allowed to simply listen to the soundtrack from a multibillion dollar company they will stop buying their games. also them abusing the youtube strike system by causing an oversized amount of complaints which makes them functionally impossible to resolve is simply what you must expect for your crimes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Minera posted:

Sure, but in Nintendo's case they just kinda... refuse to actually make their music accessible anywhere else. It's not even something you can pay them for the privilege to hear it, aside from finding an old console and a copy of the game (due to Nintendo's weird issues with actually making their back catalog accessible)

Once in a blue moon they'll put a soundtrack to one of their games in an obscure place like on a magazine cover or on the Club Nintendo points store.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stux posted:

this. if people are allowed to simply listen to the soundtrack from a multibillion dollar company they will stop buying their games. also them abusing the youtube strike system by causing an oversized amount of complaints which makes them functionally impossible to resolve is simply what you must expect for your crimes.

It's like when pirates rob merchant ships.

Also, that feeling when you agree with stux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo is right