Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Mob posted:

Unmasked Vigilante resembles Jeffrey Dahmer so much with those glasses

You know what Dahmer really murdered? Aviator eyeglass frames for everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Marsupial Ape posted:

You know what Dahmer really murdered? Aviator eyeglass frames for everybody else.

At least he did one good thing with his life.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

etalian posted:

He's also a scene stealer for bits like the trash can scene or when he snipes the whole family while whistling a cheerful tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijoFCga3qI

I genuinely cracked up during that scene. so casually walks up and takes the can in front of all the cops.

I've also watched the opening dance scene like 100 times

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vigilante is not racist and legitimately hates the white supremacists. One of the reasons he hates Auggie is because he's a racist.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Codependent Poster posted:

Vigilante is not racist and legitimately hates the white supremacists. One of the reasons he hates Auggie is because he's a racist.
he mostly kills white people!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It makes sense. Racism is mostly an emotional, fear based response. Psychopaths don't feel fear.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I wonder if they actually pay Vigilante.
Peacemaker is there because they have the power to bring him back to prison and or explode his head. But Vigilante is just there to be a hero / do Peacemaker a solid / because he has a blast doing these things?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I wonder if they actually pay Vigilante.
Peacemaker is there because they have the power to bring him back to prison and or explode his head. But Vigilante is just there to be a hero / do Peacemaker a solid / because he has a blast doing these things?

Vigilantes hobby is murder.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Vigilantes hobby is murder.

Crackin' skulls is its own reward 💀

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I mean he works at the bar right, I didn't imagine that?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Thought it was the restaurant where they had their first meetup, and they all made fun of PM for wearing his costume uniform.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
he's a part-time busboy at whatever passes for a tgi friday's in the dc universe.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boo boo bear posted:

he's a part-time busboy at whatever passes for a tgi friday's in the dc universe.

'Fennel Fields' (i googled it) which I guess might be more of an Olive Garden equivalent????

Also I guess one factor in Vigilante's performance is that they reshot all his scenes for the first five and a half episodes so James Gunn ended up directing all the Vigilante stuff we've seen so far

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LegoMan posted:

I genuinely cracked up during that scene. so casually walks up and takes the can in front of all the cops.

I've also watched the opening dance scene like 100 times

I guess "mission accomplished" for James Gunn

he said one of his big goals would be trying to create a different type of show intro that people wouldn't hit the skip button.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Marsupial Ape posted:

Not really - they are really popular again.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Fennel Fields' (i googled it) which I guess might be more of an Olive Garden equivalent????

Also I guess one factor in Vigilante's performance is that they reshot all his scenes for the first five and a half episodes so James Gunn ended up directing all the Vigilante stuff we've seen so far

Who was the original Vigilante and what did he do that it was worth going through the effort of reshooting every scene he's in?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hobo Clown posted:

Who was the original Vigilante and what did he do that it was worth going through the effort of reshooting every scene he's in?

Chris Conrad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Conrad_(actor)

I don't think anyone involved has gone into detail over what happened except to cite "creative differences"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Judging solely on the headshot in the wiki, it would not be amusing to reveal vigilante is another big hollywood jaw man.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I liked that guy in Patriot, but he's definitely got a calmer vibe in that than what Freddie Stroma brings to PM. He's also 7 years older than Cena and I think Vigilante works better with an annoying kid brother dynamic.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's possible that the other guy was just not great to work with, if Gunn called Elizabeth Banks to see what Stroma was like.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1485084563210743809?s=20&t=W_VUIOzJE_3egcNRGoKG-A

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Robot Style posted:

It's possible that the other guy was just not great to work with, if Gunn called Elizabeth Banks to see what Stroma was like.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1485084563210743809?s=20&t=W_VUIOzJE_3egcNRGoKG-A

Is this not-so-subtly suggesting that Conrad failed the rear end in a top hat check? Hmm.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's something Gunn claims to do with everyone he casts, so presumably the original actor was similarly vetted.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I liked that guy in Patriot, but he's definitely got a calmer vibe in that than what Freddie Stroma brings to PM. He's also 7 years older than Cena and I think Vigilante works better with an annoying kid brother dynamic.

or the annoying friend who sends out multiple texts at 2AM in the morning.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chris Conrad kinda played the Vigilante role on Patriot minus the psychopathy, a guy really psyched to be part of a team. I can see him as Vigilante, but nah this feels like a better iteration of that idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm getting a bit tried that 50% of the stuff I see about Peacemaker is "MCU is over because Peacemaker is really good".

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Chris Conrad kinda played the Vigilante role on Patriot minus the psychopathy, a guy really psyched to be part of a team. I can see him as Vigilante, but nah this feels like a better iteration of that idea.

Although a scene where he strips and does a slow 360 so the rest of the team knows he keeps in shape would have been pretty great...

twistedmentat posted:

I'm getting a bit tried that 50% of the stuff I see about Peacemaker is "MCU is over because Peacemaker is really good".

Unless DC hands their entire EU over to Gunn I don't think the 20+ movie MCU franchise has too much to worry about just yet. So far he's the only one who's been able to make their grimdark R rating shtick work.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Takes No Damage posted:

Although a scene where he strips and does a slow 360 so the rest of the team knows he keeps in shape would have been pretty great...

Unless DC hands their entire EU over to Gunn I don't think the 20+ movie MCU franchise has too much to worry about just yet. So far he's the only one who's been able to make their grimdark R rating shtick work.

Honestly, making James Gunn the DC version of Kevin Feige isn't a bad idea. It would be distinct enough in tone from the MCU without being the grimdark Superman vs Batman type franchise.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His DC film and show are decidedly not grimdarkkk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The more important part is that the success of Deadpool, Logan, The Suicide Squad, and other R-rated superhero blockbusters (and TV shows like Peacemaker and Doom Patrol) may play an important role in pushing the genre to be more willing to make mass market R-rated films even without going grimdark like Snyder does. Feige has already confirmed Deadpool's future films under him will stay R.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

swickles posted:

Honestly, making James Gunn the DC version of Kevin Feige isn't a bad idea. It would be distinct enough in tone from the MCU without being the grimdark Superman vs Batman type franchise.

I like James Gunn, but he has some really specific tools in his toolbox. Just between GotG 1+2, TSS, and this show you can see way too many similarities in theme and style. Sentimental found-family stories hiding under a cynically violent exterior, immature man-children anti-heroes forced into circumstantial leadership roles, self-aware action set pieces cut against ironic licensed music. There's a whole thing James Gunn likes to do, and there are only so many stories where it fits.

However same-y the MCU feels...and, you know, it does...Kevin Feige is successful at it because he's more of a curator than a creative. He has a good intuitive sense of who to trust to make things, of which properties make sense to adapt or where the MCU's tone or style can bend without breaking. That's not what James Gunn does, he makes James Gunn movies. Which works fine for Guardians, but I'm pretty sure his Captain America or his Batman would suck (or at least be a real departure from what either of those characters are typically about.)

I have similar thoughts about Taika Waititi or Robert Rodriguez or Edgar Wright...they're great at making the movies that fit their wheelhouse, but force them to make something outside of it, and you'll probably get a mess.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xealot posted:

I like James Gunn, but he has some really specific tools in his toolbox. Just between GotG 1+2, TSS, and this show you can see way too many similarities in theme and style. Sentimental found-family stories hiding under a cynically violent exterior, immature man-children anti-heroes forced into circumstantial leadership roles, self-aware action set pieces cut against ironic licensed music. There's a whole thing James Gunn likes to do, and there are only so many stories where it fits.

However same-y the MCU feels...and, you know, it does...Kevin Feige is successful at it because he's more of a curator than a creative. He has a good intuitive sense of who to trust to make things, of which properties make sense to adapt or where the MCU's tone or style can bend without breaking. That's not what James Gunn does, he makes James Gunn movies. Which works fine for Guardians, but I'm pretty sure his Captain America or his Batman would suck (or at least be a real departure from what either of those characters are typically about.)

I have similar thoughts about Taika Waititi or Robert Rodriguez or Edgar Wright...they're great at making the movies that fit their wheelhouse, but force them to make something outside of it, and you'll probably get a mess.

I'd like to see what Rian Johnson would do in the MCU and not just because I want him to direct Chris Evans as Ransom as rear end in a top hat Captain America.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you want rear end in a top hat Captain America you need to watch The Guest

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I did like that Jojo Rabbit demonstrated that Taika Waititi doesn't just make Taika Waititi movies (which are great), but can make Wes Anderson movies too!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Xealot posted:

I like James Gunn, but he has some really specific tools in his toolbox. Just between GotG 1+2, TSS, and this show you can see way too many similarities in theme and style.

I'm ok with a director having a certain distinctive voice.

All humor dies once you analyze it enough. You can dissect the metaphorical frog and figure out exactly how it works but in the end you're left with dead frog bits. Same thing with Gunn's writing. Don't binge it, just enjoy it without searching for deeper meaning.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but then Gunn will give that frog Thor's hammer.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but then Gunn will give that frog Thor's hammer.

Wouldn't be the first one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Actually, knowing Gunn it'll be some pagan gods war dildo.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MadJackal posted:

I'm ok with a director having a certain distinctive voice.

All humor dies once you analyze it enough.

No, I agree. Don’t get me wrong, I’m really enjoying Peacemaker, and really liked The Suicide Squad, I’m just saying I wouldn’t want every DC property filtered through James Gunn’s style. Just like how I love Taika, but not every MCU thing should be his take on Thor.

I’m having a lot of fun with this show, Freddie Stroma in particular.

Everyone posted:

I'd like to see what Rian Johnson would do in the MCU and not just because I want him to direct Chris Evans as Ransom as rear end in a top hat Captain America.

Maybe they’ll give him Thunderbolts, give you like 40% of what you want like most MCU movies.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Rhyno posted:

If you want rear end in a top hat Captain America you need to watch The Guest

This is exactly right and extremely underrated, except that character isn't an rear end in a top hat, which makes him even more magnetic and terrifying. He has the same politness and earnest helpfulness as Vigilante, and the same ice water instead of blood.. And the synth-Goth/new wave soundtrack is to die for: 10 out of 10. It's just a hell of a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat.