Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They did sort of steal the crouch jump mechanic from HL1, which is like. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

forest spirit posted:

and yeah I don't get tricked by VR anymore. It was a barrier to scarier stuff early on but I think everyone gets over it
Speaking of, does anyone have any recommendations for decent horror? It seems like such an obvious fit for VR but all the examples I've seen other than bits of Alyx are like, mods for existing games or terrible looking shovelware

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have any recommendations for decent horror? It seems like such an obvious fit for VR but all the examples I've seen other than bits of Alyx are like, mods for existing games or terrible looking shovelware

FNAF for me was fun/scary/worth the time.

The Exorcist wasn't too bad. and its 18 bucks atm.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1156250/The_Exorcist_Legion_VR_Deluxe_Edition/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Found a game on the quest called glitch assassin. It's kinda like superhot meets serious Sam in a way. Shiny faceted bad guys shooting at you but also red ones that haul rear end towards you to explode. Basically you get a gun and reload it and run around various locations (i.e. point and teleport) to shoot bad guys.

Whopping $2.50 though, and there's a demo on steam. I just bought the quest version off that sideload page.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

forest spirit posted:

for climbing you actually have to bring your controllers to the ground, and move your body forward while moving your floor-hands back. like you're dragging your knuckles

Huh. Okay I’ll give it a shot cause I’ve been using the method quoted below and it’s just…really awful.

Nuts and Gum posted:

You have to pull yourself up while also pushing up on one of the thumb sticks so it raises your legs.

Feels like half the time your virtual legs get stuck and don’t actually pull up so you end up having to look down, see dangly rear end chicken legs, and then move a thumbstick down to watch your knees pull up - and then the “knee physics” push the drat crate over.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, having to finesse controller buttons combined with moving your hands in a very contrived way really kills the climbing for me in Boneworks. And it's just way too jangly, they tried to be too "realistic" when I don't think that should be the goal; everything in the world should be internally consistent, but it doesn't need to try to match real life specifically

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

:dogstare: never loving playing anything that has other people in it

Someone pointed this guy out before, but it's hilarious so I'm posting it again. No nudity or anything, just a guy in a VR suit doing amusing poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_XNVhJ23Q

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 1, 2022

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Walkabout Minigolf is 40% off during the Steam lunar sale. You have literally no excuse not to buy this game for $9.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
All of the boneworks talk is why I don't play boneworks.

Its neat for doing some trick shots, and goofy poo poo in VR, but as a game, eh.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think vr companies tend to overestimate how much free space there is in the average home

I commented on this some months ago, specifically how VR companies are usually in USA, where the average home size is bigger than in other places, like Europe, lots of Asia, etc. They may have a warped sense about it because that bias.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

EbolaIvory posted:

FNAF for me was fun/scary/worth the time.

I hate to be that guy soapboxing in the VR thread, but please don't buy any of the five nights at Freddy's games. The Creator is a huge anti-lgbtq chud: https://www.houstonpress.com/arts/scott-cawthon-defends-anti-lgbt-donations-11578325

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I’ve developed a pretty iron stomach as a result of lots of time in poorly-optimized VRChat worlds (sub-30fps) but Boneworks definitely induced headaches, even though I couldn’t identify any specific reason for it. I also just wasn’t feeling particularly invested in the game/story so I never bothered finishing it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are there any games other than Reel Fishing that support YouTube running over to the side? I have a long video series I need to watch but only halfway need to pay attention to. I'd just do it on my PC but alas I'm down to one monitor ftff

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

So I bought Ultrawings on a whim cause someone posted the trailer for Ultrawings 2 here and something about watching your guy aiming a loving handgun out of the side of a prop plane to shoot targets on the ground was so lol I bought the first game immediately and I've prob spent more time with it than any other game.

That said, games don't tend to scare me and I've never considered myself the scared type and I don't have a fear of heights but early on I accidentally started a "free fly" mode by accident that I couldn't get out of. I tried to crash my plane to get out of it and something about it just felt so visceral terrifying in VR that I immediately fixed/righted my position, then I decided to just try to crash it again but this time I closed my eyes (lol) and it was still horrifying :staredog:

is this weird/have any of yall VR spooked yourselves and have a similar story

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

null_pointer posted:

I hate to be that guy soapboxing in the VR thread, but please don't buy any of the five nights at Freddy's games. The Creator is a huge anti-lgbtq chud: https://www.houstonpress.com/arts/scott-cawthon-defends-anti-lgbt-donations-11578325

Did not know that. Can agree. Kinda sucks, Because the game itself is decent.

It is on viveport infinity, and I'm not sure how stuff gets paid that way, but if you have that its "Free" and you're not buying it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

beep by grandpa posted:

Looking over the abyss shelf in Subnautica is a little different in VR

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the oddest feeling for me was jumping off a cliff in minecraft

you can feel the landing in your knees lmao

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I did the entirety of Resi 2 Remake in VR, and that moment where Mr X bursts through the wall from the press room made me scream like a little girl in the middle of a discord chat.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

I need to try Minecraft out in VR I just worry about the jank. Does it have voicechat and hand tracking that other players can see?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Megasabin posted:

Until we see omnidirectional treadmills, I think the way forward for VR gaming is to keep the space limitation in mind and come up with creative ways to manipulate it. I would like to see games allow full body tracking on a 5x5 platform at all times, but find creative ways to move the platform with the joystick. Like if the platforms in Blaston were airships and you could control the platform in the sky with the joystick, while still being able to walk/duck/jump/crawl around it the 5x5 space with your body. Or if each 5x5 platform represented a room in a building and you could move through the rooms using the joystick, but within each room you had could run around freely, and perhaps even see into and interact with other rooms.

Are there any other games like Blatson where the gameplay takes place in a clearly delineated space where you are free to move around and do whatever you want within that space? SPARC sort of looks like that, albeit a bit more restrictive than Blaston in that you don't seem to actually move anything other than your arms.

You're basically describing a VR launch title "hover junkers", a multiplayer shooter where you ride around on hover skiff things shooting at over people. Your ship is sized to your real world space so you duck and shoot and stuff like that. It was an early game and is basically dead for a long time at this point, so its probably not too worth looking into.

I think the biggest issue with things like this is while conceptually clever and good for 1:1 mapping, at some point people just want to explore a larger world and not be constrained by the size of their room, and there are just no better solutions to that unless your game meets the specific conditions that allow you to use your hands or room scale space. I mean we saw this already with launch VR stuff mostly keeping you in place and using roomscale or teleportation, but then games started coming out that went "gently caress it, use the stick" and were very popular so everyone kind of shrugged and just went to using smooth stick movement. I mean I would love to see more games copy the Echo movement scheme, but to do so requires the constraint that you're in zero gravity and that doesn't fit with every design.

Basically the stuff people want to do in games come into conflict with what would be "best" for VR.

The thumbstick is here to stay for better or worse, as people will not use weird treadmill contraptions, accept that they are constrained by their physical floorspace, or limit the design of all games to things that require climbing or other hand based movement, so its just sort of the least worst options for most.

I will say, you might want to look into "Arktika.1", its a shooter that came out a few years ago, but it was designed around fixed positions. So every position you teleport to is designed to have barriers and things to duck and move around, its sort of like a VR time crisis/light gun game in a way. It was made by the Metro series developers so it looks quite good, and theres a decent amount of content, but yeah it was kind of stillborn a bit because when it launched people really objected to not having free movement and only having set positions they could teleport to. Sounds like it could be your thing? Theres nothing else exactly like it in VR at this point.

Lemming posted:

Yeah, having to finesse controller buttons combined with moving your hands in a very contrived way really kills the climbing for me in Boneworks. And it's just way too jangly, they tried to be too "realistic" when I don't think that should be the goal; everything in the world should be internally consistent, but it doesn't need to try to match real life specifically

Any VR game that ignores your body's own proprioception and sense of touch (unless its doing it for a comedic reason on purpose) is just a failure of design as far as I'm concerned. In real life you know exactly where all your limbs are and if something brushes against them, so something like boneworks making your legs get stuck on boxes and poo poo doesn't make it more immersive, it makes it less so, because it feels like you're just puppeting a marionette and not your body, which is what VR should do. If you're going to have collision it needs to be tied to stuff you have feedback on and direct control over, IE your hands and head, but also "sloppy" enough to not hang you up in ways you wouldn't in real life.

One of the worse examples of this that always sends me up the wall is in realistic shooting games with bolt action rifles where it doesn't shoot because you didn't quiiiite move the bolt far enough or turn it enough. In real life I've never once worked a bolt with anything but 100% confidence and success in its motion because you can feel every click and where its going, so messing it up in a game just makes it less realistic and immersive. The best shooting feel in games is when they have TONS of slop in it so basically any broad forward back motion activates the bolt, thats the only time it starts feeling natural.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I need to try Minecraft out in VR I just worry about the jank. Does it have voicechat and hand tracking that other players can see?

No voicechat, possibly there are some mods for it, otherwise just use Discord. For Java, you alone need Vivecraft to play in VR, while everyone else will need the Vivecraft 2D mod to see your mad arm flailing (otherwise they'll just see you run around normally). There's also a server mod that allows you to do a couple of things like teleport movement, but otherwise isn't necessary.

Bedrock has VR built in; I don't think other people will see you waving your arms around, but like regular Bedrock it is absolutely smooth as butter, while Java CAN run smoothly but you'll need to turn some things down.

It plays fine with a lot of mods, although Controllable instantly crashes to desktop, so you'll need to remove that if you have it (because for some insane reason there's just no native controller support in Java). Shaders are obviously out unless you turn them way down, have a high end graphics card or are able to tolerate some less than stellar frames.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

null_pointer posted:

Yeah seriously, he's awful and if you're going to play FNAF just pirate it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

The thumbstick is here to stay for better or worse, as people will not use weird treadmill contraptions, accept that they are constrained by their physical floorspace, or limit the design of all games to things that require climbing or other hand based movement, so its just sort of the least worst options for most.

I think people severely underestimate how great and flexible hand based movement is. People are still using thumbstick loco because they don't even really consider any other options, but at the end of the day it is, at best, barely adequate, whereas hand based locomotion absolutely rules and makes everything with it tons more fun. I don't think this is a case where the market has settled on optimal solutions, I think we're still at the stage where nobody knows anything, and people just default to the thing they already know the best. I feel very strongly that things are going to be moving towards more hand based locomotion in the future just because of how much better it is

marumaru
May 20, 2013

null_pointer posted:

yeah, gently caress him

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

The best shooting feel in games is when they have TONS of slop in it so basically any broad forward back motion activates the bolt, thats the only time it starts feeling natural.

100% agree. Games who nail that balance really make it "feel" good.

I find a lot of games kinda nail pistols and always lean into those in any game that lets me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah seriously, he's awful and if you're going to play FNAF just pirate it

Why do the worst people have the most successful game ideas?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Truga posted:

I was excited to try out Minecraft in VR after reading this, but am I understanding correctly that it's no longer possible to do so?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

beep by grandpa posted:

at this point when I do get vertigo or that immediate gut reaction I think it's an accomplishment on the part of the developer.

because 99.99% of the time that i'm
- plummeting from a skyscraper
- falling into a black abyss because I accidentally clipped through the game world and watching my reality diminish into a needlepoint star above me, forever more out of reach with every moment
- catapulting into the sun (or black hole)
- flying at the speed of crazy without control
- or trapped in a VR compositor glitch where the 3D scene is static as you move your head around

..I digest it like kirby in galaxy-class vacuum mode

I don't think it's that uncommon a reaction if you like more kinetic experiences in VR. Eventually you've died from falling off a skyscraper or been shot in the head at close range enough times. Doesn't make it any less fun though!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I was excited to try out Minecraft in VR after reading this, but am I understanding correctly that it's no longer possible to do so?

Vivecraft is still a thing. There isn't a native minecraft vr for quest but that's besides the point. I haven't played it in a while but I haven't heard anything to the effect of support stopping and it being incompatible.

e - Yep, latest update here is a month ago.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 2, 2022

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

forest spirit posted:

I don't think it's that uncommon a reaction if you like more kinetic experiences in VR. Eventually you've died from falling off a skyscraper or been shot in the head at close range enough times. Doesn't make it any less fun though!

lol offtopic but I gently caress with this sentence & it connected with me cause like 10 years ago my cousin and I were putting in dozens and dozens of hours a week throwing boomerangs and after a certain point we realized that our 'flinch' reaction from any object flying at our faces was completely gone

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I cannot imagine playing minecraft in VR that doesn't result in me throwing my headset across the room after turning around just in time to be exploded by a creeper.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Organza Quiz posted:

Can't help with the tech problem but I hope you get it working because you're in for a treat if you do. I played it pancake style and it's such a gorgeous game.

So far it looks really good. I got it working. Turns out there was a setting for motion controls that was turned off. Not sure how it got set that way.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

I think people severely underestimate how great and flexible hand based movement is. People are still using thumbstick loco because they don't even really consider any other options, but at the end of the day it is, at best, barely adequate, whereas hand based locomotion absolutely rules and makes everything with it tons more fun. I don't think this is a case where the market has settled on optimal solutions, I think we're still at the stage where nobody knows anything, and people just default to the thing they already know the best. I feel very strongly that things are going to be moving towards more hand based locomotion in the future just because of how much better it is

I'm not hopeful for this. I love innovative movement systems, but I can't see this becoming the norm. in 2017 after Lone Echo demonstrated maybe the most beautiful locomotion in VR, i though "well we're going to get a dozen copycats using this movement scheme, and good for them because it works great and I can't wait to see more with it", but after all this time there has been... one other game using that sort of movement that I can think of? Its basically sat parked on a shelf collecting dust as a movement system outside of RAD.

Your gorilla motion works great and feels fun, a real credit to the work you put into it, but its certainly not going to be a fit for most types of games. Anything with a gun or weapon of most kinds is never going to gravitate to a movement system where you can't hold up the weapon and use it only when standing still. Echo Combat got around this by gluing the gun to your hand, but not everyone is going to want to make everything sci fi and fantasy with that constraint as part of the world. Likewise nothing trying to be realistic in styling is going to have you walking on your hands, so even that is relegated to scenarios designed around the movement.

There are those slide your arms, jog in place style movement options too but, well ymmv with any of those, personally they always feel like i'm awkwardly controlling a machine and not just walking somewhere anyways. You have the same problem too with holding weapons while walking around with those as well.

That Phantom Cover Ops game where you're in a kayak was brilliant for what it was, worked beautifully, but clearly every game developer wouldn't want to be restricted to making a kayaking game.

It just kind of comes back down to thumbsticks being the lowest common denominator that doesn't require you to come up with a very specific game world, lore, and play style. Thumbsticks give the benefit of just making whatever game world you want to make, and not being concerned with the basic concept of moving from A to B. Which is not to say they shouldn't be thinking of locomotion from the start in VR, or that they might find adopting a more novel control scheme could invigorate a stale game idea, but people also want to play tactical shooters, and other things that are just never going to jive well with exclusive hand based manipulation of movement.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm not hopeful for this. I love innovative movement systems, but I can't see this becoming the norm. in 2017 after Lone Echo demonstrated maybe the most beautiful locomotion in VR, i though "well we're going to get a dozen copycats using this movement scheme, and good for them because it works great and I can't wait to see more with it", but after all this time there has been... one other game using that sort of movement that I can think of? Its basically sat parked on a shelf collecting dust as a movement system outside of RAD.

Your gorilla motion works great and feels fun, a real credit to the work you put into it, but its certainly not going to be a fit for most types of games. Anything with a gun or weapon of most kinds is never going to gravitate to a movement system where you can't hold up the weapon and use it only when standing still. Echo Combat got around this by gluing the gun to your hand, but not everyone is going to want to make everything sci fi and fantasy with that constraint as part of the world. Likewise nothing trying to be realistic in styling is going to have you walking on your hands, so even that is relegated to scenarios designed around the movement.

There are those slide your arms, jog in place style movement options too but, well ymmv with any of those, personally they always feel like i'm awkwardly controlling a machine and not just walking somewhere anyways. You have the same problem too with holding weapons while walking around with those as well.

That Phantom Cover Ops game where you're in a kayak was brilliant for what it was, worked beautifully, but clearly every game developer wouldn't want to be restricted to making a kayaking game.

It just kind of comes back down to thumbsticks being the lowest common denominator that doesn't require you to come up with a very specific game world, lore, and play style. Thumbsticks give the benefit of just making whatever game world you want to make, and not being concerned with the basic concept of moving from A to B. Which is not to say they shouldn't be thinking of locomotion from the start in VR, or that they might find adopting a more novel control scheme could invigorate a stale game idea, but people also want to play tactical shooters, and other things that are just never going to jive well with exclusive hand based manipulation of movement.

I wouldn't take the fact that other people haven't picked up on things as proof of anything. More and more I'm realizing that innovating at all, even in ways that in hindsight appear extremely obvious, is not easy or quick to happen.

I also think the things that VR is really fantastic for and things that fit the medium really well are not the things that come to mind easily if your main context is flatscreen games. Look at RPG's - using stats and numbers and skills and levels is so deeply tied to the concepts of the kind of game we think of when we say "role playing" that we aren't even considering the fact that those were abstractions born out of necessity. If I'm at a table top, how do I determine how good my guy is at swinging a sword? You've got to abstract that. In VR, this kind of thing needs to be reimagined; if I can actually swing the sword, why does it need to be a number?

Similarly, when we're thinking about shooting games and stuff - yes, to make games with the trappings of realism, it makes the most sense to use stick locomotion, since that emulates the flatscreen shooter better. That said, is that kind of game the best thing to make for the medium? I don't think it is. I think devs are limiting themselves by trying to make that kind of game in the first place, because they're placing massive restrictions before they even start making anything.

The reasons I feel so strongly about hand based movement aren't just because of the kinds of gameplay it enables (though that's a big part of it), is that it also allows a much deeper and stronger connection to the VR environment. You lose so much by just sliding around by angling a joystick, and completely disconnect from the concept of existing in an alternate world, and those sacrifices aren't even considered by the devs who use that.

Basically, I think if your game relies on stick locomotion to work, I think you've placed a really low ceiling on how good of a VR game it can be. Take a look even in this thread about how people talk about Zenith, so much of the emphasis is on the climbing, flying and exploration, the parts that you use your hands to directly navigate. Even if they say the gameplay is middling, those aspects are strong enough to help carry the rest of it.

I mean, honestly, I'll be the first one to say that Gorilla Tag looks like garbage, is definitely coded like garbage, has terrible art, almost no level design, and is made by someone with zero game dev experience. I don't believe it's a fluke that it's as successful as it is, I think it's just a much better fit for the medium than almost anything else out there

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

No clue about it's origin, but this popped up on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/sibdbb/this_new_youtube_vr_update_for_oculus_quest_looks/
Looks cool enough, though I think it's more interesting that Google are actively pushing updates for VR applications after completely abandoning the market, though it matches up with the talk of them hiring for VR/AR projects again.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

arm swing movement chat

Lemming posted:

lots more movement chat

Hot Take : Stand Out did a great job of combining both. Arm swing was world grab, which worked great even in firefights at times. Pistols, smgs, close stuff could get wild. More so once you got good at the parkour.

Then there was some stick movement for when you needed to just have a stable walk through a building while using optics. Or peaking a corner long range on rocks. You could use the stick movement, whatever, was just normal stick movement.

I really enjoyed it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are there any games other than Reel Fishing that support YouTube running over to the side? I have a long video series I need to watch but only halfway need to pay attention to. I'd just do it on my PC but alas I'm down to one monitor ftff

Can you give a little bit more information? What VR device do you have? Are you using a Quest 2 in standalone mode? Are you capable of doing PCVR? If so, is your headset Oculus or Steam VR based?

If you are using a headset in PCVR mode, you can just drag windows into your VR environment. Both Oculus and Steam support it natively.

Oculus: https://support.oculus.com/articles/headsets-and-accessories/oculus-rift-s/virtual-desktop/
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/2969548216412141657

If you are using standalone Quest 2, there is currently no way to do it natively.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Tom Guycot posted:

You're basically describing a VR launch title "hover junkers", a multiplayer shooter where you ride around on hover skiff things shooting at over people. Your ship is sized to your real world space so you duck and shoot and stuff like that. It was an early game and is basically dead for a long time at this point, so its probably not too worth looking into.

I think the biggest issue with things like this is while conceptually clever and good for 1:1 mapping, at some point people just want to explore a larger world and not be constrained by the size of their room, and there are just no better solutions to that unless your game meets the specific conditions that allow you to use your hands or room scale space. I mean we saw this already with launch VR stuff mostly keeping you in place and using roomscale or teleportation, but then games started coming out that went "gently caress it, use the stick" and were very popular so everyone kind of shrugged and just went to using smooth stick movement. I mean I would love to see more games copy the Echo movement scheme, but to do so requires the constraint that you're in zero gravity and that doesn't fit with every design.

Basically the stuff people want to do in games come into conflict with what would be "best" for VR.

I will say, you might want to look into "Arktika.1", its a shooter that came out a few years ago, but it was designed around fixed positions. So every position you teleport to is designed to have barriers and things to duck and move around, its sort of like a VR time crisis/light gun game in a way. It was made by the Metro series developers so it looks quite good, and theres a decent amount of content, but yeah it was kind of stillborn a bit because when it launched people really objected to not having free movement and only having set positions they could teleport to. Sounds like it could be your thing? Theres nothing else exactly like it in VR at this point.

Perhaps I need to accept that my viewpoint on what makes VR special is niche and that most people love experiencing VR with the joystick games. In that case I would flip my expectations and say instead that I hope joystick movement games can better learn to incorporate the 3D space/perspective so that they feel as immersive as Blaston/Walkabout despite the use of the joystick. I haven't seen one that does yet, but we are only in the infancy of VR here.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

EbolaIvory posted:

All of the boneworks talk is why I don't play boneworks.

Its neat for doing some trick shots, and goofy poo poo in VR, but as a game, eh.

VR is about the fun you make. lol if anyone is just walking and shooting.

Get some better ideas.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

Do we have/is there any reason to have a guild in Zenith?

Partying up with some goons would probably be fun. I haven't done group play at all yet. I'm getting better at the 'sensitive' gliding and it is really fun. The combination of sticky hands climbing and grabbing onto things (sort of like Gorilla Tag) combined with the fun of gliding and updrafts makes it pretty fun navigating around and also adds huge incentive for me to find those little hidden crystals to get more stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Partying up with some goons would probably be fun. I haven't done group play at all yet. I'm getting better at the 'sensitive' gliding and it is really fun. The combination of sticky hands climbing and grabbing onto things (sort of like Gorilla Tag) combined with the fun of gliding and updrafts makes it pretty fun navigating around and also adds huge incentive for me to find those little hidden crystals to get more stamina.

I played for an hour today and all I did was fly around looking for Tears. It was awesome. Sensitive gliding takes some getting used to, but is very much worth learning.