Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Resident Evil 4 VR patch is good. The new fully manual reload feature is a godsend, as it allows me to do what I tried to do the first time I played: hold a spare clip in my offhand for immediate reloading. I was annoyed that I couldn't do that when I started.

I've been victory lapping New Game +, but I think I'll start a new game with laser sights disabled and this new manual reload option, as the latter is kinda moot in NG+ with a pistol that holds like 30 rounds and a magnum that instakills almost everything. I use the Blacktail, as the Red9 (my usual RE4 pistol) has lovely iron sights, which I learned once I disabled the laser. For magnum, I use Killer 7 in NG (once it's available) and a maxed broken butterfly in NG+. 50 damage is bonkers.

I'm 300 posts behind, so let's see if I posted this below some terrible news or something...

E: or on a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SCheeseman posted:

No clue about it's origin, but this popped up on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/sibdbb/this_new_youtube_vr_update_for_oculus_quest_looks/
Looks cool enough, though I think it's more interesting that Google are actively pushing updates for VR applications after completely abandoning the market, though it matches up with the talk of them hiring for VR/AR projects again.

The money is almost certainly going to be in the software.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I picked up Ultrawings for my new Quest 2 and maybe I'm a dumbass but I cannot figure out how to flip the magneto switch in the ultralight. I've tried flicking, pinching, grabbing, fast and slow, but it just doesn't respond. Help a VR newbie out, how does this work?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

forest spirit posted:

Vivecraft is still a thing. There isn't a native minecraft vr for quest but that's besides the point. I haven't played it in a while but I haven't heard anything to the effect of support stopping and it being incompatible.

e - Yep, latest update here is a month ago.

vivecraft is better in pretty much every way than the official minecraft vr option too

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Internet Friend posted:

I picked up Ultrawings for my new Quest 2 and maybe I'm a dumbass but I cannot figure out how to flip the magneto switch in the ultralight. I've tried flicking, pinching, grabbing, fast and slow, but it just doesn't respond. Help a VR newbie out, how does this work?

Try reloading the mission, I had a similar issue when I first played the game where that exact switch just wouldn't respond to anything but reloading fixed it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Internet Friend posted:

Make sure ur holding whatever button makes one extend their ☝

The best issue I had with my inaugural boot of the game is my left/right hands were reversed for some reason until I restarted it :whatup:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inzombiac posted:

VR is about the fun you make. lol if anyone is just walking and shooting.

Get some better ideas.

Its very much a hooting / loving around sandbox. Its just a trash game. It also gives zero fucks about the users comfort or experience.

But, I need better ideas tho.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 2, 2022

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/5T6nsUn.mp4

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Warharmmer Battle Sister game is releasing on PC
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1733890/Warhammer_40000_Battle_Sister/

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

explosivo posted:

Do we have/is there any reason to have a guild in Zenith?

I think it'd be cool, depends on what the game ends up doing with guilds but even if all it ended up being was a tag that someone was a goon I'd be down for it.

Been putting more time into it (I'm only at like 12 hours) but, once you start figuring out all of the stuff that the game doesn't tell you at all it actually becomes really good. I liked it at first but I'm a lot more into it now, doing the events in the forest, grinding out stuff to make better weapons and armor, figuring out how godstones actually work, etc.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sad.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

it's actually good to see there's some lower limit to what gullible VR people will fund on kickstarter

relatedly, the really dumb halfdive headset made its kickstarter funding goal but they just cancelled it anyways

they pretty much cancelled it because it's dumb:lmao:

“We were faced with the brutal reality that no matter how optimized and multifunctional our device may be for use in sleeping-posture, it is only a replacement of existing VR devices and not yet an interface that brings innovative experiences,” Diver-X says.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hell yeah. I thought there's actually a bit of a dearth of "classic" singleplayer VR shooters in PC, and this one seems right up that alley. Plus the 40k setting could be pretty cool in VR if they manage to pull off the scale.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Hell yeah. I thought there's actually a bit of a dearth of "classic" singleplayer VR shooters in PC, and this one seems right up that alley. Plus the 40k setting could be pretty cool in VR if they manage to pull off the scale.
It's already on Quest 2 and it got pretty middling reviews unfortunately

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Make walking and running in VR seem more realistic by making the act of actual walking and running less realistic, makes sense in a way really.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Make walking and running in VR seem more realistic by making the act of actual walking and running less realistic, makes sense in a way really.

Is it less realistic than standing still and pressing the thumbstick?

I do the 'jog motion' with the arms sometimes when I walk in vr with artificial locomotion, it helps for immersion imo. He is doing the same but with both legs and arms.

Not that I'm going to put a sex swing on my room for it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's a perfectly normal way to run, for an ostrich.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I do most of mine sitting down so mostly I'm frustrated by either the game assuming I'm short, or me trying to reach down into my mattress to grab poo poo on what the headset thinks is my waist but it's actually about 3 inches into my bed, while under fire from enemies.

I'd get the swing but I'm fat and I'm pretty sure I'd end up collapsing the roof somehow.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are there any games other than Reel Fishing that support YouTube running over to the side? I have a long video series I need to watch but only halfway need to pay attention to. I'd just do it on my PC but alas I'm down to one monitor ftff

Vermillion. You can also use SteamVR to bring your monitor(s) into the virtual world.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

That's a perfectly normal way to run, for an ostrich.

Yeah maybe if it was higher off the ground and didn't force you into a weird swing crouch

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are there any games other than Reel Fishing that support YouTube running over to the side? I have a long video series I need to watch but only halfway need to pay attention to. I'd just do it on my PC but alas I'm down to one monitor ftff

Black Hole Pool.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Are there any VR games where your character is in a wheelchair? That seems like an obvious, slam dunk idea, but I haven’t seen it anywhere.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

Are there any VR games where your character is in a wheelchair? That seems like an obvious, slam dunk idea, but I haven’t seen it anywhere.

There was a Walking Dead tie-in game they were using to demo StarVR way back when, but I don't know if it ever actually released?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Esper 1 and 2 did, and of course in Trover Saves the Universe you're from a planet of people who live their entire lives sitting in big comfy chairs

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Coffee And Pie posted:

in VR Zone we played Hospital Escape Terror which put up to 4 players in wheelchairs which was pretty funny

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Last Labyrinth

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Thanks for the recommendation for Walkabout Mini Golf on sale on Steam, I bought it last night and just played the first hole and it was a loving blast. I've told my nephew to get it for his Quest 2 because it seems like the perfect party game for us to play while catching up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Butterfly Valley posted:

Thanks for the recommendation for Walkabout Mini Golf on sale on Steam, I bought it last night and just played the first hole and it was a loving blast. I've told my nephew to get it for his Quest 2 because it seems like the perfect party game for us to play while catching up.

It's exactly this, I've used walkabout to shoot the poo poo with my friends through the pandemic and it's been great. Just searching around for the hidden balls and doing the scavenger hunts for new clubs is so much fun as it is.

Edit: Also new RE4 manual reloading is great. I'm going to have to relearn reloading I think but being able to ready a new magazine with your spare hand is pretty sick.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
How's the Quest native version of Walkabout Mini Golf? I tend to buy stuff on the Oculus store for the crossbuy between Quest/PCVR but it's not on sale over there; from the sound of it, it seems like the kind of game that would be good on the go.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

Make sure ur holding whatever button makes one extend their ☝

The best issue I had with my inaugural boot of the game is my left/right hands were reversed for some reason until I restarted it :whatup:

Oh, it turns out it's not a button at all, I didn't realize the Quest controllers could detect you extending your index finger. Thanks!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Coffee And Pie posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1383690/A_Wake_Inn/

Pretty neat game/experience.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

That Italian Guy posted:

How's the Quest native version of Walkabout Mini Golf? I tend to buy stuff on the Oculus store for the crossbuy between Quest/PCVR but it's not on sale over there; from the sound of it, it seems like the kind of game that would be good on the go.

It's great, get it.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Stormlands is still my favorite VR game in terms of nailing the locomotion without being in space or a gorilla. Stick locomotion for general “walking around” but with a ton of additional fun movement like gliding, fling climbing, and cloud surfing. Zenith comes close but doesn’t feel as good as Stormlands.

explosivo posted:

It's exactly this, I've used walkabout to shoot the poo poo with my friends through the pandemic and it's been great. Just searching around for the hidden balls and doing the scavenger hunts for new clubs is so much fun as it is.

At some point they changed Walkabout so you can’t pick up hidden balls if you’re playing multiplayer over Family Share and it makes me very sad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

6 6 6

The Number of The Seat

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have any recommendations for decent horror? It seems like such an obvious fit for VR but all the examples I've seen other than bits of Alyx are like, mods for existing games or terrible looking shovelware

Propogation VR is free on steam. It's short but good zombie shooter horror.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I've heard Elite Dangerous is good for this, but VR flight sims and my stomach don't agree so I've never gotten it set up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I really gotta give Elite VR a try one of these days. When I played it on desktop the black holes in there always gave me a weird existential twinge of horror, and I'm sure in VR that's just gonna be :discourse:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have been playing Zenith with a YouTube window shrunk down and placed sorta off to the side and in the distance so I can see it and hear it but it's never really in the way and that's been a great way to play that game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Perestroika posted:

I really gotta give Elite VR a try one of these days. When I played it on desktop the black holes in there always gave me a weird existential twinge of horror, and I'm sure in VR that's just gonna be :discourse:

That's just space, the feeling of presence and scale you get with Elite in VR is really awesome. Especially when landing in stations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

njsykora posted:

That's just space, the feeling of presence and scale you get with Elite in VR is really awesome. Especially when landing in stations.

Elite was always a little too simulationist for me on some levels. No Man's Sky in VR, however, is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The worst part about NMS VR is that there's no hotas support.

It used to be possible to hack it in via controller emulation but they patched it out for VR.

E: You can still get the older version via steam depot downloader but it just doesn't look as good and lacks features. Runs better though.

HOTAS is life, HOTAS is love.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 2, 2022