Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Looked all over, couldn't find a thread, happy to close if there is one, but with Dying Light 2 coming out soon and there being a big push for more threads thought why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWX6DbAMTR4

Dying Light was released on PC, Xbox, PS4, and Switch (over the last six years in waves), is an Open World First Person Zombie Survival horror, with crafting elements released in early 2015.

https://i.imgur.com/dVaD58Y.mp4

Set in the fictional middle eastern city of Harran, the story starts in media res - the zombie outbreak has already begun - the city of Harran is under quarantine and for the most part the infection is under control, confined to the environs of Harran and its immediate outskirts.

You play as Kyle Crane, American action hero and member of the "Global Relief Effort" (think of them as the UN Version of the Umbrella corporation).

The GRE as the name suggests, is the entity primarily responsible for keeping the infected city of Harran supplied with Antizin (medicine which halts the virus from turning you into a mindless infected), food, clean water and medicine.

Kyle starts the game being airdropped with some of these supples with a very clear mission; track down an unknown individual who has stolen a file from the GRE, the file supposedly contains an "incomplete" cure which is instead instantly lethal. Your goal, as Kyle is to identify this faceless individual, retrieve the file, and return it to the GRE.

Of course, nothing's ever easy, and things immediately go to poo poo.

Gameplay wise, the game is an evolution of the Dead Island series, but actually good - you might remember Dead Island, it had the worlds most attention grabbing trailer that made everyone sit up, and then delivered absolutely nothing like the trailer.

The gameplay focuses heavily on parkour, looting the scraps of the city to construct traps on the fly while cheesing it from zombies, crafting first aid, flares and weapons to give you an edge in combat. During the day.

At Night, well, things change.

You go from hunter, to hunted, as those pesky UV rays which have been keeping the truly lethal and intelligent zombies in hiding aren't there to protect you anymore.

While it's absolutely possible to survive the night while going rambo, there's a reason that the tagline for the game is "goodnight, goodluck"

Dying Light is an extremely fun romp gameplay wise, with a strong emphasis on stealth, parkour, and survival, well worth a shot.

==========================================================

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHySNHmur8E

Dying Light - The following

Released 12 months later, Dying Light the following is an expansion to the original game and continues the storyline, with hope fading fast for the city of Harran, Kyle's growing increasingly desperate to escape when rumours reach the city that just outside the walls, there is a cult where the members are not being attacked by the infected and are functionally cured of any infection - deciding to put one last ditch effort behind getting to a cure, Kyle breaks through the quarantine via a cave system and starts hunting for the members of the cult to seek an end to the infection

https://i.imgur.com/OfSw9we.mp4

The gameplay is mostly the same, on a brand new map, and given that you are no longer confined to a city, also has drivable vehicles - with all the benefits and drawbacks that brings.

The only warning I'd give is that the game presumes you are very high level as custom weaponry from the end of DL1 did not do the same level of damage to zombies in the new area, that it did in the previous areas, so uh, don't get attached to those old weapons.
==========================================================

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwJAAy7tPhE

DL2 is set in the distant future, without spoilers for the events of the preceeding games, everything's gone to poo poo and humanity has basically fallen - we're down to functionally one city left and even that is in dispute.

How it happens isn't particularly clear at this stage and is presumed to be revealed throughout the game, there's a bit of a media blitz going on with the game, as well as a lot of influencers having played an early teaser of the game on youtube, so feel free to share good ones itt, but gameplay wise, it looks like Techland have spent the last six years refining their parkour and combat systems, combat looks more fluid and attacks meatier, but of course we won't know how it all pans out until the day of release.

There's a lot of new media out there surrounding DL2 so I encourage people to post the stuff they found interesting - but at this stage as someone who's generally pessimistic about new release, I'm cautiously optimistic that Techland are going to succesfully iterate on DL1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There was a Dying Light thread but it sank into archives like 4 years ago, I know as I posted in it.

But, I have been playing DL1 on and off for about 5 years, I love the game and also love how many little updates, tweaks and events Techland have released over the years, its been great.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Played this game a lot last year and did a lot of things, including taking on Nightmare difficulty and also getting so many Legend levels that most everything I use is basically OHKs on anything under Nightmare so long as it isn't a boss. I really, really like this game. Definitely getting DL2, although with the stories I heard about the launch of 1, I'm planning on holding off unless initial reports give the all clear.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One thing that struck my in the original is that from a societal perspective the Haran Virus just isn't that dangerous. It's difficult to spread, isn't contagious at all until long after you've become symptomatic, has very specific signs that can be observed without relying on self-reporting and which show up before the person becomes contagious, and is treatable. It'll be way easier to contain then say an ebola outbreak.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

One thing that struck my in the original is that from a societal perspective the Haran Virus just isn't that dangerous. It's difficult to spread, isn't contagious at all until long after you've become symptomatic, has very specific signs that can be observed without relying on self-reporting and which show up before the person becomes contagious, and is treatable. It'll be way easier to contain then say an ebola outbreak.

Yeah, The Following DLC shits all over this, it's revealed that everyone with the virus will eventually turn into a Volatile and become nigh unstoppable hell monsters, the big choice at the end of the expansion was to set off the nuclear bombs because The Mother, a Volatile but sentient, realized that Harran was beyond the point of no return and the containment efforts had all but failed, or you can choose to ignore her, kill her and leave with a cure that doesn't work for very long but Kyle himself turns into the same sort of Volatile as the Mother, in that he hulks out at night but is fine but still a monster during the sunlight hours.

Either way, things are hosed.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I know the game is X years old but you might want to spoiler brick that. I played the original and loved it but haven't gotten started on The Following yet.

Coop in this is fantastic and fun and turns the game from any sort of horror story into a comedy. The basic zombies are already hilarious because they will often ragdoll yeet themselves off of buildings but having your buddy slide kick them off a building and bank them off an awning into a car and then a spike trap is amazing. Also good is when you're at street level and not paying attention and they start throwing zombies down at you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

First 2 hours of dying light 2 have leaked. Most videos are gone, but here is the first hour
https://youtu.be/6z9eWovqU90
Unknown which system.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Planning on picking this up to play co-op with a pal. I recall the first game required going through the intro missions before you could do co-op, do we know if that's gonna be the case here too or can we just immediately play co-op from the first minute?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I love Dying Light and from the looks of it 2 will be even better. They've been consistently putting out content/events right up until DL2 was ready to release so if you like a game that'll keep going for years this is a good bet.

Scrambling to get to a safe house as night falls and volatiles start screaming is incredibly intense and I love it. I remember eventually getting to a point where I could go out at night without it being a death sentence (think it was with night vision?) but that was mostly through stealth and avoidance so it was still intense. You can get to the point of being able to defend yourself at night but you never feel truly safe and poo poo can always go south very fast.

Basically I'm so loving stoked for DL2! Thanks for making the thread.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I played through Dying Light twice in co-op, it's easily the definitive way to play. Clowning on hordes of zombies never stops being fun with a friend, and the second time through I basically just doubled down on throwing things and the dropkick. Bring a double barrel shotgun for tough monsters and you barely need anything else.

I hope the second game keeps up with the weird-rear end secrets and hidden poo poo the first game had. Finding the EXPcaliber was a great moment.

Hakarne posted:

Scrambling to get to a safe house as night falls and volatiles start screaming is incredibly intense and I love it. I remember eventually getting to a point where I could go out at night without it being a death sentence (think it was with night vision?) but that was mostly through stealth and avoidance so it was still intense. You can get to the point of being able to defend yourself at night but you never feel truly safe and poo poo can always go south very fast.

Co-op during the day consists of working together and solving all problems with your friends. Co-op at night consists of creeping around until someone fucks up, then everyone screaming at once and scattering in different directions. gently caress all y'all, I'm training everything on me into you if that's what it takes for me to survive.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 1, 2022

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so leery of Dying Light 2. It looks like they're leaning hard into the storytelling, which was the weakest part of the first game. The freerunning was so much loving fun I was able to look past how much the game wanted me to care about its plot and its characters. Exploring at night genuinely made my heart pound.

And then they released an open-world DLC? With cars? I never even tried it. I didn't want Far Cry in my freerunning zombie game.

It's my suspicion that the devs don't know what was really special about Dying Light but I hope I'm wrong.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

resting bort face posted:

I'm so leery of Dying Light 2. It looks like they're leaning hard into the storytelling, which was the weakest part of the first game. The freerunning was so much loving fun I was able to look past how much the game wanted me to care about its plot and its characters. Exploring at night genuinely made my heart pound.

And then they released an open-world DLC? With cars? I never even tried it. I didn't want Far Cry in my freerunning zombie game.

It's my suspicion that the devs don't know what was really special about Dying Light but I hope I'm wrong.

The following was good.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The story in DL made me miss the group in DI cuz while they were also stupid while in a stupid plot, none of the playable cast did anything quite on the level of dumping all the loving vials of infection-slowing medicine into a fire, among other really dumb things. Kyle was certainly funnier than any of them, at least. In any case, I'm not gonna hold my breath for the 3rd time being the charm here as far as overall plot is concerned, but I do hope the new protagonist is better than Kyle like how he was with the DI cast.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

resting bort face posted:

Actually the Following was the best content in the entire game, and before that the game had a grappling hook so most people didn't even parkour around, they just flew from place to place like Spiderman.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure whether to use a controller for better parkour or a mouse for being able to aim.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm not sure whether to use a controller for better parkour or a mouse for being able to aim.

The parkour still works pretty good with mouse & keyboard.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Hakarne posted:

I love Dying Light and from the looks of it 2 will be even better. They've been consistently putting out content/events right up until DL2 was ready to release so if you like a game that'll keep going for years this is a good bet.

Basically I'm so loving stoked for DL2! Thanks for making the thread.

iirc once you had legendary weapons Volatiles ceased to be a threat, I remember having this crazy electro katana that killed those fuckers in 1-2 hits. I'd spend the entire night just hacking away and racking up xp. :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My main complaint about the first game was that campaign progress was host based, so if you play through all the story with a friend they are still stuck in chapter 1. This has been confirmed to be the same for this game, which sucks, but I suppose I'll just mentally prepare myself for co-op being for loving around and ignore the story if we're playing together.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I absolutely loved DL and being able to drop kick zombies off the roofs of houses is a good time. It hadn't been on my radar but the only reason why I got the game was GameStop had a pricing error and priced it at like $16. I wanna say it was a deluxe version too but now I don't remember.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Demiurge4 posted:

My main complaint about the first game was that campaign progress was host based, so if you play through all the story with a friend they are still stuck in chapter 1. This has been confirmed to be the same for this game, which sucks, but I suppose I'll just mentally prepare myself for co-op being for loving around and ignore the story if we're playing together.

I don't understand why they chose to handle co-op that way in DL1, but for 2 it really makes sense if story decisions really have as much of an impact as Techland is claiming. Imagine a scenario where player A did X, which locks them out of Y. They then want to play with player B who did Y, which locked them out of X. Now the game has to either prevent them from playing together (people would riot), or somehow deal with the fact that player B joins player A in their world, where they can then do something which A was previously locked out of and which may itself have consequences that are incompatible with their original decision. This has the potential to create an absolute clusterfuck of a world state.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you are a loot hound it sounds good because you can get the unique Bandit Sword of Slaying for siding with the Bandits on your friends game and you get to keep it when you go back to your own game. Then you can side with the Cops in your own game and get the Shield of Copness and have both rewards.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Today the review embargo lifts at 7am Pacific. 45 minutes until dreams are made or broken

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 2, 2022

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Mr Hootington posted:

Today the review embargo lifts at 7am Pacific. 45 minutes until dreams are made or broken

Been waiting to see if I pull the trigger or not on this I hope for the best

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-02-dying-light-2-review

Eurogamer gave it a recommended with the caveat that its a fairly technically unimpressive game which tracks for the 5 or so years its been in development, it's very much a last gen title, which is basically what I expected.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Reviews are rolling in and they seem to be universally praising the games combat, Parkour, and game world. The one criticism I keep reading is the main story is just kind of there for most of the game.

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1488890221596971010?t=0WnMipndZMVFBwp9rkMf5w&s=19

I watched this video:
https://twitter.com/Arekkz/status/1488889959004008453?t=rkvDn0ShFRMJg3DY-d3H_w&s=19
https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1488890348801769475?t=eErH2VbPg3Vh-zjMWIGtDw&s=19
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1488890540158558208?t=YR3jNg7ByRht0VwaQDZ44w&s=19
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1488890840273592322?t=P1PU0ybQFbiHyFqkE152vA&s=19

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
apparently sprinting no longer drains stamina.

in general it seems the messy dev process left its mark, but it's a good game nonetheless

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Now I have to figure out how it runs on the ps4!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Now I have to figure out how it runs on the ps4!

Fine probably, it was most likely built with the last gen machines in mind.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Judge Tesla posted:

Eurogamer gave it a recommended with the caveat that its a fairly technically unimpressive game which tracks for the 5 or so years its been in development, it's very much a last gen title, which is basically what I expected.

hmm, DF sounds impressed

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1488893892636381199?s=20&t=6WUCdapNp51N6bVHA9RB_w

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1488892193045626888?t=P-Rp6y4zu6K9tyS4ja3EdQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1488890457690148865?t=cgSpc10WB3MuJYfj7l8AQQ&s=19

Here you go more reviews coming in! Dying light 2 is terrible and should be avoided! Do not buy it!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm right on the minimum for the video card and this is what's worrying me the most so maybe that's a good sign I can run it, haaaah.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sounds like a big oof.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

cage-free egghead posted:

I absolutely loved DL and being able to drop kick zombies off the roofs of houses is a good time. It hadn't been on my radar but the only reason why I got the game was GameStop had a pricing error and priced it at like $16. I wanna say it was a deluxe version too but now I don't remember.

I fondly remember this. GameStop had an error where if you bought the expansion pass they accidentally sent you a redemption code for the full game, then by way of apology they sent the expansion pass code as well. Got one of the best games of that year on release for $20.

I kinda want to buy this at launch, but I rarely, if ever, revisit games, and if they’re planning on adding 5 years of content to this game then maybe I should hold off a bit for the more “complete” experience. Less buggy too probably

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm seeing reports that dying light 2 will actually release at 7pm EST tomorrow, but on steam it says 1 day and 19 hours from now which would be 7am on Friday... is there a different release time for non-steam retailers?

Edit: found this map. I sure hope steam doesn't stop me from playing it tomorrow or something.

d0grent fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 2, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Encouraged by the reviews, most of them say the story is bad which is fine because the story sucked in the first one as well and it didn't impact my enjoyment of the game at all. Just want to play co-op with friends and mash zombies while parkouring around.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm doing a review-in-progress, because unfortunately, day job stuff kept me from beating DL2.

It's a lot like the original game so far, except there's much more of a focus on melee and the map's a lot bigger with a lot to do, find, and see. I'm also barely ready to leave the first zone after 20 hours, so I don't know what the hell some of these sites are talking about by getting an ending in that little an amount of time.

One of the things I ended up liking a lot about the original DL was that someone had paid some attention to the mission structure, so Crane was always A) doing missions for people who genuinely could not do it for themselves, and B) was generally doing his best to improve life in Harran for people. It wasn't the random idiocy of a Dead Rising 2 or even Dead Island; you were actually making sensible runs for sensible people.

DL2 more or less furthers that, although a few of the side quests I've seen are a little silly, and a couple seem to have just been conversations, which is weird. There's a real sense that life in the city is lovely, but it does go on, and you've got the ability to make it better here and there if you play your cards right.

It's also got the same curve that DL did, where you're pretty weak at the start of the game and need to focus most of your energy on evasion. Stamina seems to be a lot more important than health early on, too.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

How is the human combat? It's the weakest part of DL1 imo. And how's night play so far? The previews make the night seem brighter and less scary than the first one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wanderer posted:

I'm doing a review-in-progress, because unfortunately, day job stuff kept me from beating DL2.

It's a lot like the original game so far, except there's much more of a focus on melee and the map's a lot bigger with a lot to do, find, and see. I'm also barely ready to leave the first zone after 20 hours, so I don't know what the hell some of these sites are talking about by getting an ending in that little an amount of time.

One of the things I ended up liking a lot about the original DL was that someone had paid some attention to the mission structure, so Crane was always A) doing missions for people who genuinely could not do it for themselves, and B) was generally doing his best to improve life in Harran for people. It wasn't the random idiocy of a Dead Rising 2 or even Dead Island; you were actually making sensible runs for sensible people.

DL2 more or less furthers that, although a few of the side quests I've seen are a little silly, and a couple seem to have just been conversations, which is weird. There's a real sense that life in the city is lovely, but it does go on, and you've got the ability to make it better here and there if you play your cards right.

It's also got the same curve that DL did, where you're pretty weak at the start of the game and need to focus most of your energy on evasion. Stamina seems to be a lot more important than health early on, too.

The biggest thing they hyped up was how reactive the game is and that Choices Matter (tm) and could even change large sections of the map. Have you really seen any of that or is it something they ended up leaving on the drawing board?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
IGN gave pokemon sword a 9.3. You can safely ignore all their opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Noirex posted:

How is the human combat? It's the weakest part of DL1 imo. And how's night play so far? The previews make the night seem brighter and less scary than the first one.

Humans tend to show up in small groups, use throwing weapons, and a disconcerting number of them have a power attack that can't be blocked. It's not my favorite part of the game, but it's all right, and it does encourage you to cheat like hell to get past them. There are a lot of advanced abilities in the combat tree that I know I'll never think to use, but which do let you style on fools.

The nights start off pretty sedate, then get insane as you get past midnight. At least in the early parts of the city, there's a Howler every 20 feet, and if it spots you, you're almost guaranteed to get into a desperate chase scene.

Mordja posted:

The biggest thing they hyped up was how reactive the game is and that Choices Matter (tm) and could even change large sections of the map. Have you really seen any of that or is it something they ended up leaving on the drawing board?

I just got to a big factional choice that actually did switch things up, although it starts slowly. One of the first big plot branches is who to side with in the first area: the survivors or the Peacekeepers. Go with the former, and they'll set up more parkour stuff for you; go with the latter, and they'll litter the streets with traps.

Basically, the further you go to assign factional control to an area, the more that faction will change the city. I haven't gotten far enough along to see major benefits either way, though.