Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I don't mind Edward getting killed by Raian, but it seemed kinda early?

He's been foreshadowed as a plot-important character for a while now, and this fight was absolutely not plot-important in the slightest. He hasn't really done anything except talk poo poo, kill nameless mooks, and beat up side characters for fun. Raian taking his head off while Erioh makes funny faces is cool and all, but I dunno, this whole thing just didn't feel important. The Kures taking revenge for the death of a minor character offscreen sometime before Omega is sweet and all, but also not especially relevant.

And I never woulda thought I'd say this, but I'm getting tired of Raian just insta-decapitating people with his hands. It's a good trick, but we know the Kures have other techniques - Ohma's shown us a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

he only cut the side, head's still attached

real-world fatality, comic-world he'll be back up in a week

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

as much as i fully understand pretty much any and all criticism, in my heart, while i'm reading, i'm just going 'lol he stuck a finger in his neck hole and popped his head like a coke bottle'

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

All this is to say can we please go back to Narushima and Kureishi just humiliating Xia?

Xia gonna suddenly reveal he has been play-acting this whole time, even in his thoughts exposed to the reader, and is actually part of an ancient clan that came before the Wu clan and can achieve an even higher form of release where he ejects blood from his entire body and turns into a warrior composed of blood, using the overwhelming strength and flexibility of liquid to defeat his flesh opponents.

After he murders several support characters, Ohma will then reveal the next Niko style technique, that involves moving so fast all the liquid around you evaporates

edit: How about this - after Xia changes forms his entire body because dark red, and another character stabs him and thinks he's won. But then it's revealed that everything below his skin is just blood, and he can freely move his organs around within the blood to avoid them being hit. And he shoots pressurized blood out of the stab wound to decapitate the guy who stabbed him

Vizuyos posted:

I don't mind Edward getting killed by Raian, but it seemed kinda early?

He's been foreshadowed as a plot-important character for a while now, and this fight was absolutely not plot-important in the slightest. He hasn't really done anything except talk poo poo, kill nameless mooks, and beat up side characters for fun. Raian taking his head off while Erioh makes funny faces is cool and all, but I dunno, this whole thing just didn't feel important. The Kures taking revenge for the death of a minor character offscreen sometime before Omega is sweet and all, but also not especially relevant.

And I never woulda thought I'd say this, but I'm getting tired of Raian just insta-decapitating people with his hands. It's a good trick, but we know the Kures have other techniques - Ohma's shown us a bunch.

I would have been okay if they actually just succeeded with their actions in the previous chapter. That would have at least been a clever and appropriate way to win (using the whole "assassin" element of their abilities instead of just the "being a fighting badass").

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 27, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I would have been okay if they actually just succeeded with their actions in the previous chapter. That would have at least been a clever and appropriate way to win (using the whole "assassin" element of their abilities instead of just the "being a fighting badass").

Yeah, that's the worst thing about the way this way "resolved". You lost because you are too strong. And by "too strong" I actually meant "not that strong at all", because you are weaker than Raiain who will now own you. Which is why you lost. See? :confused:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I was way more into this when I assumed it was pumping Ed up for later instead of like... killing him before he actually got a chance to be a villain. All the stuff I'm supposed to dislike him for has been offscreen, and that's assuming I actually like the Kure clan at all!

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I forget, has Kengan Omega ever covered what Kazzy’s son is up to these days?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked the kure clan but omega is doing its best to make me stop

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I would have prefered

Edward still beating the utter crap out of Raian in the end, and then having to leave because of accumulated injuries and a lack of time to finish the job

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the thing about the Edward fight that sucks is more that nobody could land a proper hit on Edward and it took Erio using himself and his family as bait to allow Xing to land a single hit, and then this chapter is just Raian and Edward trading blows until Raian wins. There's no real proper back and forth for most of the fight so Raian suddenly being able to play on Edward's field feels awkward.

Edward was built up as a Beard-tier fighter, but then curbstomped 4 Kures + the head of the main Wu clan without breaking a sweat, which I doubt even the Beard could do, and then died after being tested for a single chapter. I feel like it would have been more natural if they'd actually managed to get in some hits on Edward or show him getting worn down in some manner, but none of that happened.

That said I'm a big Raian stan so I'll give this chapter a 10/10.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ytlaya posted:

It also makes Erioh's sacrifice kind of stupid and pointless because their assassination attack did absolutely nothing and the entire issue was apparently solved by Raian getting angrier.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Kanos posted:

It also makes Erioh's sacrifice kind of stupid and pointless because their assassination attack did absolutely nothing and the entire issue was apparently solved by Raian getting angrier.

he needed the hole to pop him like a soda can

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

That said I'm a big Raian stan so I'll give this chapter a 10/10.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think Omega has ever hit the highs of Asura but Asura was just really good in my opinion, and Omega is serviceable.

And even Asura had fights that people hated. I (think I) remember Saw Paing vs Sasuke and Cosmos vs Ohma being particularly controversial.

The answer here is to stan Sekibayashi Jun, every one of his fights was certified gold.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

I forget, has Kengan Omega ever covered what Kazzy’s son is up to these days?

Pretty sure in the early chapters when Koga and Ryuki are living with him they say he's still working the same construction outfit. If you mean the bastard son Kazzy made in the first chapter that's a story for Kengan Asura 2: Electric Boogaloo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kazzy has 2 sons, you know.

The elder son was the one who warned Kazzy that the Worm might be after him, since he clued in onto the Worm after talking with Bando (as foreshadowed at the end of Asura).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I assumed it was about the less plot important son :shrug:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
kengan omega needs to give a fight to kure yakusha, obviously

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't think Omega has ever hit the highs of Asura but Asura was just really good in my opinion, and Omega is serviceable.

And even Asura had fights that people hated. I (think I) remember Saw Paing vs Sasuke and Cosmos vs Ohma being particularly controversial.

The answer here is to stan Sekibayashi Jun, every one of his fights was certified gold.

Yo Saw Paing vs Sasuke had a bad result but I will always be hype for the HAMMER OF BURMA

Cosmo vs Ohma I personally enjoyed a lot. Yeah it didn't really make sense but there was a nice rhythm of back and forth, a small amount of flashbacks, and my favourite defeat panel with the "main character of another story" memory spread

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
My main criticism about Omega is that it feels kind of aimless/directionless. Like we spent a ton of time with Koga as our protagonist and perspective character and then all of the old characters came back and Koga has almost completely vanished for the entire length of this fairly long arc; he's not a tournament participant, he has absolutely nothing to do with anything that's been happening with the Wu, and is only very peripherally involved with the Worm/Other Niko.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Saw Paing is the people's champion and Sasuke is a dweeb.

Seeing him get utterly destroyed by Gensai is incredibly satisfying.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Artelier posted:

Yo Saw Paing vs Sasuke had a bad result but I will always be hype for the HAMMER OF BURMA

Cosmo vs Ohma I personally enjoyed a lot. Yeah it didn't really make sense but there was a nice rhythm of back and forth, a small amount of flashbacks, and my favourite defeat panel with the "main character of another story" memory spread

I appreciated it as a 'soft-style' fight that's pretty rare in Kengan, where it was less about being a punchman.

It was also probably necessary for the two of them because they were majorly hosed up from previous fights compared to the other members of the cast.

I should reread Kengan now that MangaDex is back.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Didn't the translation group take down all of their Kengan chapters?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Didn't the translation group take down all of their Kengan chapters?

Since they're now working in an official capacity since it got licensed, yes. Right now, Chapters 1-5 and 11 are all that's on MD and they all just link to Comikey. If you want to read all of it now, you'd have to take your chances elsewhere.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh right I forgot that Asura is legally available.

Guess I can just buy the chapters.

What's the pricing on Comikey?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait Comikey only has up to chapter 50, what the gently caress.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Huh, 100 keys for like KRW 42,000, that's like 50% ~ 100% pricier than the standard Korean webtoon.

Still not a bad deal, I guess.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Chapter 145
https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/5grICEP/1/1/

At this point, I just want our boy Xia to succeed. Drama, "stakes", and twists about everything else, I am just numb.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So proud of Xia Ji.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

JamMasterJim posted:

Chapter 145
https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/5grICEP/1/1/

At this point, I just want our boy Xia to succeed. Drama, "stakes", and twists about everything else, I am just numb.

Xia got away, all is well.

Also Erioh trolled Toho guy by putting HIS past onto the tapes and not Meguro's didn't he, I love this.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am just tired of the constant, "no, wait! The real, truly powerful enemy that we have no chance of defeating is just around the corner and is going to act soon! Oh, he acted and now he's dead. But no, wait! the real, truly powerful enemy......" that has been going for like 100 chapters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The final villain is whoever the head of the worm is and pretty much always has been. presumably whoever ohma and ryuki are clones of

I get why people are annoyed at Edward dying but it would have been ridiculous had he managed to beat/get away from that many fighters

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Masaki salvages another poo poo chapter yet again!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I'm probably gonna drop this series soon, this is just boring now.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The tournament structure of Ashura meant that the last few opponents for Ohma had been building hype for a long while, and it seemed perfectly natural for them to be bullshit strong. But without that structure, the opponents in Omega have really lacked development. They either feel like asspulls, or total jobbers. None of the opponents in Omega get the character development that the later Ashura opponents have, instead ending up with characterization on the level of the Guardians from Ashura. I still like the manga and read it every week, but if the main arc is going to be about the Worm, then there needs to be more to the Worm.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You are telling me that motherfucking Masaki is the 5th Wu?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

That wasn't my read of the chapter, I think it's just an usurpation unrelated to the Wu.

Omega has really become garbage though. It's unfortunate because Ashura was a great shonen, but as the previous poster mentioned, they're not taking any time to develop any of the plotlines properly and nothing has any impact as a result.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't really blame anyone who's getting bored of it and would probably suggest you just give it a while before coming back so you can binge it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the tournament was good in ka, but i liked ko better early on while it hung around the outskirts of the kengan fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tosk posted:

That wasn't my read of the chapter, I think it's just an usurpation unrelated to the Wu.
Nah, I'm going full crackpot theory on this one. Left brain of Masaki is the one that was conditioned to be like Meguro. But there was a layer to the audio tracks the Wu's put onto the recordings they helped Electric man develop that subliminally implanted the ancient Wu onto the right brain. With the right conditions the Wu brain took over. Those conditions were that Alan would be ripped in half, and the other 3 would die completely avoidable deaths because Edward is way too strong. Hyper specific but what happens next will shock and amaze us.