Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Holy gently caress. Ok, I'm gonna address this a final time and be done with it because I don't feel like pushing this any further and end up buying myself a ban.

Real life me: Personable, jovial, sometimes downright charming if the situation calls for it. But also an introvert, so some types of interactions, while I can navigate them just fine, are loving exhausting. This includes questions that either via their substance or presentation set off the kernel of misanthrope that I work hard on the daily to suppress and usually do a good job of it.

I come here to this specific thread to read and vent about stupid things that happen to us all in the IT world. That kernel of misanthropy is allowed to pop and exhaust itself here, and I've always felt comfortable with letting that happen. By the time I've gotten here to post about it, I'm already annoyed.

My purpose of stating that my job is important (it is) and that I've been doing it for a long time (I have) was to frame that I wasn't annoyed by a silly question just because I'm an rear end in a top hat (I can be). I have worked very hard to get where I am in my career. I paid my dues starting with flashing the BIOS on desktop computers for y2k, working my way through level1 helpdesk, and eventually getting into engineering. I have a lot of critical projects on my plate that I manage to successfully navigate and deliver because I'm focused on my work. Posting and reading here on this lovely forum is how I blow off steam and get myself refocused to continue my delivery.

So I apologize if I offended anyone by my venting here. I'll cap off the misanthrope a bit as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're not going to get banned, goonfriend. You're good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RFC2324 posted:

Everyone was pretty much on your side til you started in on on how important you are, mr senior engineer at a billion dollar company

So make fun of him like do Three Olives

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Be nice to your Soc monkeys, for the same reason you don't want to wrestle a pig.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I’m not quite sure how to put this, but... I’m kind of a big deal. I’m very important. I have many leather-bound servers and my apartment smells of maxed-out RTX 3090s.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

There's also ways to write those questions that just isn't nearly as dickish?

There's a huge gulf between "Why did you install this software?" and "Hey, your Cisco AnyConnect install popped on a software audit, but I don't have any documentation about it. Can you forward me something for our records? Thanks!"

One of them assumes you're an idiot who can't be trusted, the other is just people doing their job and communicating professionally.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I refuse to apologize for being a woman in tech who stands up for her worth. I refuse to be disrespected by anyone, on any level.

Kensei has my number if he wants to remove me from this thread.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I'm in a similar position to AlexDeGruven, where if you ask me that question without first understanding where I am on the org chart, I'm going to call you an undertrained idiot who needs to do more due diligence than pasting from a script. This is more of a problem with the company, rampant turnover, and siloing than a soft skills or respect issue.

I refuse to apologize for being a woman in tech who stands up for her worth. I refuse to be disrespected by anyone, on any level.

Kensei has my number if he wants to remove me from this thread.

These two statements have nothing to do with each other op.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

As a trans woman in tech, I refuse to let anyone not have their nose rubbed in my accomplishments. The only way to prove my worth is smug superiority.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This is what you sound like, even if its not what you mean.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

This is what you sound like, even if its not what you mean.

if you ask me that question without first understanding where I am on the org chart

if you ask me that question without first understanding where I am on the org chart

I mean, it deserves to be heckled. It should be required to be heckled.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Some of you folks have asked about resources to learn Linux basics:

https://twitter.com/madebygps/status/1488946185075314696?s=21

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Pull up, thread!

Work commute chat: My last job had a commute of 45 minutes to the office (2 times a week). poo poo sucked. At my new job, I made it a priority to live as close as reasonably possible to work. Now I have a 6 minute commute door-to-door and that change is worth its weight in gold.

I mapped it out and it's about a 2.5 mile walk. I'm thinking that's doable a few times a week, and I'm sure that walk would be great for my mental health after sitting all day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hughmoris posted:

Pull up, thread!

Work commute chat: My last job had a commute of 45 minutes to the office (2 times a week). poo poo sucked. At my new job, I made it a priority to live as close as reasonably possible to work. Now I have a 6 minute commute door-to-door and that change is worth its weight in gold.

I mapped it out and it's about a 2.5 mile walk. I'm thinking that's doable a few times a week, and I'm sure that walk would be great for my mental health after sitting all day.

We are having a mild snowstorm today. Boss lives an hour away so he stayed home, understandably. It would probably take him 2.5 hours to drive home.

I'm just going to block off a half hour tomorrow morning for him coming in here and talking about snow.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

Some of you folks have asked about resources to learn Linux basics:

This is timely. I'm fiddling around with AWS and wanting to launch an EC2 and kickoff a bash script to get and decompress some CSVs. I could do it in Python but this would be a good opportunity to learn a little bash.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

I mean, it deserves to be heckled. It should be required to be heckled.

Absolutely, thats how we learn not to be dumb.

To keep in the subject change, I just came back from 2 weeks off and holy poo poo that makes all my workplaces dysfunction scream at me

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Woah what the gently caress happened in here

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Logs filled up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bob Morales posted:

We are having a mild snowstorm today. Boss lives an hour away so he stayed home, understandably. It would probably take him 2.5 hours to drive home.

I'm just going to block off a half hour tomorrow morning for him coming in here and talking about snow.
Put it in your calander as a "business continuity process review meeting".

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Pull up, thread!

I have a brisk ten minute walk from the bus stop to work, five minutes from the bus stop to home. It does wonders even though it's not much.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m fully remote now so am in the “measure commute in feet” club. :smug:

Internet Explorer posted:

Logs filled up.

Light a match when you’re done

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I am supremely nervous about this position. Applications are open for another 4 days. I dyed my hair a not-blue color in preparation of appearing more professional.

I really hope I get an interview :ohdear:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The time saved working from home is just incredible.

I have a 6 month old and if I had my old commute I'd see the kid for an hour before getting her ready for bed and weekends. Now I can do laundry, run the dishwasher, prep dinner, etc.

I dont think I'll ever work in an office again if I can avoid it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Hughmoris posted:

Pull up, thread!

Benefits of living in a smaller city: My $job-1 commute during the warmer months was 10-15 minutes. When the snow was bad, worst case scenario was 30 minutes.

With $job, I'm entirely remote and the commute is walking from my bedroom to my office. When the weather is reasonable, I'll eat lunch on the deck in my back yard. When it's unreasonable, I don't have to worry about brushing snow off my car.

If the roads are safe, your current commute sounds like a wonderful bike ride.

larchesdanrew posted:

I am supremely nervous about this position. Applications are open for another 4 days. I dyed my hair a not-blue color in preparation of appearing more professional.

Good luck! We're pulling for you!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have a 6 month old and if I had my old commute I'd see the kid for an hour before getting her ready for bed and weekends. Now I can do laundry, run the dishwasher, prep dinner, etc.

I dont think I'll ever work in an office again if I can avoid it.

Same, but 6 years old.

I work 3 time zones ahead and am done by 2pm, which gives me an entire afternoon to do stuff every day and it’s amazing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hughmoris posted:

Pull up, thread!

The other option is a bike. A 2.5 mile walk of say 40 minutes can turn into 15 mins. Also if you don't have a car at work people won't ask you to carry large things around.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Honestly it makes me sad that this is even remotely a thing to be considered anymore. But we all do what we must to get ahead.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Things I do not miss working at an office.

- Having to park allllllllll the way in the back or on top of the parking structure when you came back from lunch
- Waiting for someone to back into a parking spot, then pull forward to straighten out, back into a parking spot, then pull forward to straighten out, then back up , for 5 minutes.
- Clearing snow and ice off my car
- if you left your desk at 5:05pm congrats because you are now sitting in parking lot traffic for 20 minutes because you're in an office park with 1 exit.

"Well Bonzo, why don't you shut up and take your bike!?" Well because employee bikes kept getting stolen even when they were locked in a cage inside the parking structure.

I'm not 100% remote and even IF I have to go in, its a 10 minute walk. I even sold my SUV because it was just sitting there

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It feels like Office 365 is in the process of making GBS threads itself, nothing on the status update yet

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Internet Explorer posted:

Logs filled up.

Thread filled with logs sounds about on par for SA :itwaspoo:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It feels like Office 365 is in the process of making GBS threads itself, nothing on the status update yet

LOL OFFICE 362

MSP is trying to send me a list of computers they want to make changes on and they sent it with 365 Message Encryption.

Just send me the file as a drat attachment.

:corsair:

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 2, 2022

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I read somewhere recently, maybe NYT or HBR, that companies gained the time from employees who used to commute. That is, people who used to leave the house at 7:30 to arrive at the office at 8:30, now start their workday at 7:30. Same thing at the end of the day.

Can you believe that poo poo?

Why? Why would people do that?

https://www.businessinsider.com/wfh-4-key-takeaways-from-a-major-ons-report-2021-4?amp

https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-news/pages/remote-employees-are-working-longer-than-before.aspx

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

I read somewhere recently, maybe NYT or HBR, that companies gained the time from employees who used to commute. That is, people who used to leave the house at 7:30 to arrive at the office at 8:30, now start their workday at 7:30. Same thing at the end of the day.

Just lol at that. When I WFH, if my day starts at 0800 that means I'm rolling out of bed at 0757.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

For all the bitching I do about my company right now I have to keep in mind the following:
I dont have email on my phone.
I am not on call.
The day starts at 8 and ends at 4:30.
I dont do poo poo on the weekend.

Its SUCH a nice change from being on call 24/7 for a week once a month.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Thanks Ants posted:

This is Office 365’s default state

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best way to figure out if time spent in the office being able to collaborate face-to-face is actually more productive than remote working is to mandate that the work day includes the commute. I'm sure companies will do a u-turn on their very sincerely held belief that you have to be present to get thing done.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

For all the bitching I do about my company right now I have to keep in mind the following:
I dont have email on my phone.
I am not on call.
The day starts at 8 and ends at 4:30.
I dont do poo poo on the weekend.

Its SUCH a nice change from being on call 24/7 for a week once a month.

:hfive:

$previousJob had me on call for 1 week per month. I didn't receive many tickets but it stilled caused some minor mental stress. $newJob has no tickets and no call and I like to think its slightly improved my QOL.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Agrikk posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/wfh-4-key-takeaways-from-a-major-ons-report-2021-4?amp

https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-news/pages/remote-employees-are-working-longer-than-before.aspx

gently caress that noise in it's ear. I log in at 8 and off at 5, and I leave my desk for an hour lunch almost every day. It would take quite a bit to get me back in an office.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Absolutely never going back. Converted to permanent remote in November. I have so much flexibility when I need it.

I just need a couple of these projects to wrap so I can get some breathing space in my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am fully remote now and it turns out that the company culture of "start whenever" and fun projects has resulted in me regularly doing an extra hour or two of work. It helps that it's the kind of place that the boss emails around at 1PM on a Friday and goes "we have no client work on, everyone start your weekend early" though.