Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

When you say Rawls do you mean the actor or the character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aces High posted:

When you say Rawls do you mean the actor or the character?

Yes.

(Ok, so I can't find an exact birthdate for Tray Chaney but I've seen 1982 thrown around which would put him roughly ~20 when The Wire started and about 40 now. John Doman was born in 1945 so he was in his late 50s during season 1. But he would be around the age Lance Reddick was at the start of the show so you can still feel a little old.)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Syrian Lannister posted:

Hope the get JD Williams back too.

only if he plays a teenager again

can't break the streak from Oz and The Wire

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...ents/ar-AASL5hi :bustem:

I know Simon has 'We Own This City' coming up soon but man, Baltimore during COVID and all the corruption out of it would be another great show, like a Wire/Treme mix

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I got my 73 year old dad watching The Wire and he’s really into it. He just watched the episode where Wallace got killed

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

christmas boots posted:

I got my 73 year old dad watching The Wire and he’s really into it. He just watched the episode where Wallace got killed

My wife watched the whole first season without realizing that was Michael B Jordan until I told her. Talented guy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don't think he knows who any of these people are, but he identified Lance Reddick as the best actor in the show so far.

Tbh I think that's incredibly dangerous game to play but not a bad choice imo

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Resurrecting this thread for a really dumb reason.

When White Mike is being interrogated he asks Kima and McNulty for "two hot dogs and a strawberry soda". This always stuck with me for some reason, well tonight I'm listening to Johnny Guitar Watson's 1977 funk song a "A Real Mother For Ya" and towards the end he ad libs "I better stop and get me two hot dogs and a strawberry soda". So that's where that bizarre order comes from. Who knew.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 27, 2022

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1488957193647005697

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

This season is very meta and I do not like it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah that's basically one of Carcetti's big brave,"We are going to win the war on drugs!" speeches where it all sounds wonderful but nothing actually gets accomplished because it doesn't actually address a single one of the underlying systemic issues that drive people to drugs in the first place.

But man, being reminded that Michael K. Williams is dead is a gutpunch all over again :smith:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 3, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

But man, being reminded that Michael K. Williams is dead is a gutpunch all over again :smith:

I honestly think I've never been hit by a celebrity death harder

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I saw a stage production of Clue tonight (a adaption of the 1980s movie) and I knew I recognized the actor playing Professor Plum but couldn’t place him. Looked him up afterwords and it was Mike Kostroff aka Avons lawyer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

davecrazy posted:

I saw a stage production of Clue tonight (a adaption of the 1980s movie) and I knew I recognized the actor playing Professor Plum but couldn’t place him. Looked him up afterwords and it was Mike Kostroff aka Avons lawyer.

His "What the gently caress?? Shut up! Stop writing!" scene in season 1 is one of my favorites of the series. Such a counterpoint to all those scenes in law and order where the defense lawyer sits quietly while their client confesses to serious felonies

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
My favourite scene is where he can barely contain his laughter when Stringer admits he's been giving thousands of dollars to Clay Davis. Like, ain't you supposed to be smart Stringer?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/four-men-arrested-charged-overdose-death-actor-michael-k-williams-us-attorneys-2022-02-02/

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Like, ain't you supposed to be smart Stringer?
Stringer is an extreme fuckup. Just about everything he initiates ends up being a bad idea that turns out poorly.

Having Omar's boyfriend killed.
Trying to play Brother … Mousad?
Starting the co-op that he quickly loses power over.
Like you mentioned, playing at being a developer and losing a ton of money.
OK'ing a hit on Omar on a Sunday.
Killing D'Angelo.

He’s just a bad idea factory.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i don't remember the co-op being a failure until marlo shows up at it

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah I've never been in the camp that likes Stringer too much - although he wants to try to minimize inter-gang violence with his co-op ideas, he commits some of the worst self-serving acts (like murdering D'Angelo) and massively underestimates his enemies (like Marlo, Clay Davis and Brother Mouzone/Omar).

Avon doesn't have the ambition and farsightedness that Stringer has, but he also recognizes reality on the ground a lot better - Marlo is an existential threat, Clay Davis is going to just take our money and run, etc. They're great foils for each other but I never could see Stringer as some transformational figure, I was always curious why others saw him that way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

roomtone posted:

i don't remember the co-op being a failure until marlo shows up at it

Yeah the co-op works fine until someone like Marlo shows up, who values the crown more than the money. Avon understood that. Prop Joe kind of understood that but thought he could civilize Marlo, Stringer never understood that

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
coop works great, even after marlo (assuming you're at the top and just interested in making money). all the bosses were trying to keep it going.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Stringer going along with the co-op was maybe the one thing he didn't gently caress up. It even survives Marlo, everyone's trying to come up with the cash to keep paying The Greek.

I credit Prop Joe more with the founding of the co-op, but it doesn't go anywhere without a sympathetic Stringer bringing the west side.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

pokeyman posted:

Stringer going along with the co-op was maybe the one thing he didn't gently caress up.
At the beginning, Stringer was pretty much calling the co-op shots. Later on, not so much.

He didn’t gently caress up the co-op, he just hosed it up for Stringer.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

At least he knew not to take notes. The co-op definitely works and was smart business. Stringer didn’t understand the street part.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
He did know that. It was never determined whether or not he knew we're gonna look like some punk rear end bitches out there.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

He did know that. It was never determined whether or not he knew we're gonna look like some punk rear end bitches out there.

I love how Stringer immediately abandons all decorum after that remark

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Stringer also didn't have a very strong hand to play. Avon going to jail leads to their source of good drugs drying up; Stringer doesn't have the rep to be able to get it back. Plus all the capable muscle was either dead or in jail. It was these weaknesses that led Stringer to cozy up to Prop Joe in the first place. Considering the poor position he was in he did pretty well, for a while. By the time Marlo arrived on the scene the Barksdale crew was still very limited on muscle; Stringer didn't believe in this aspect and so failed to invest in it. Avon came back and over-compensated, ignoring the good parts of Stringers ideas and attacking Marlo head-on with weak muscle and lost.

Avon and Stringer were an effective partnership: Avon ran the street, Stringer the business. When they were apart and not working together conflict resulted, embodied by Brother Muzone. The two of them had a really excellent story arc.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
drat Calvin, you know I got the bingo tonight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

TIL Bill Rawls did voiceovers for the DNC during the 2020 Presidential campaign:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1298655192234237953

John Doman rules and has seriously become one of my favorite actors since I finished my first binge-watch and I want to see more stuff he's in.

christmas boots posted:

"MOTHAFUCKA (smacks mic off the podium and storms up to Bodie)" is still one of my favorite laugh out loud moments from the series.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s funny, but it’s also the exact same attitude that leads him to try and put out a hit on Clay Davis so it’s also just great story telling imo

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

CBJSprague24 posted:

TIL Bill Rawls did voiceovers for the DNC during the 2020 Presidential campaign:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1298655192234237953

John Doman rules and has seriously become one of my favorite actors since I finished my first binge-watch and I want to see more stuff he's in.

"MOTHAFUCKA (smacks mic off the podium and storms up to Bodie)" is still one of my favorite laugh out loud moments from the series.

A friend recommended me Borgias a while ago, is that any good?

Also, I've never watched Oz, but I guess it has a bunch of actors from the wire in it too? It looks a little "early 2000s" in the way the first season of the wire looks a little dated sometimes too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oz is batshit insane in some really wonderful, truly bizarre ways. They didn't seem afraid to experiment with some odd ideas, not just storyline wise but in terms of framing, narrative choices, oddball use of flashback and an omniscient narrator who also happened to be one of the central characters of the show but whose function as the narrator appeared completely distinct and separate from him as an actual character.

Some of it didn't even work at the time let alone now (the experimental aging serum comes to mind) but it went to some crazy, dark places that shone a spotlight on a lot of taboo subjects, and while I can't say it was a genuinely great show it is one I deeply appreciate and value having been made.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

christmas boots posted:

I love how Slim Charles defends Poot

CBJSprague24 posted:

He's got a recurring guest role in Person of Interest for only one season, which is a show you should watch anyways because it's great and everyone is amazing and they balance out how Cavaziel has become a Q nutjob

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1493663903762558980

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I watched Oz so long ago when it first aired with a bunch of friends. It was mostly great back then, it seemed like a more 'adult' show alongside shows like South Park making headway into subjects that were sort of unexpected and taboo. It had some amazing characters, and you got to see them everywhere once they left Oz. Every time I see those car insurance commercials I think it's the cool dude who had breast cancer in Oz, or the crazy rear end in a top hat racist has seen some things. When Lost aired, everyone was freaking about Adebisi being in it. They show up everywhere and it's cool.

It says 11 Oz people showed up in The Wire, but I don't recognize them immediately for some reason and I've never really rewatched Oz. I tried, but it just seemed too dated for me. The Wire tho, I'm constantly rewatching it. If there isn't a new episode of X show available, The Wire goes on.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I associate OZ actor crossover more with Law & Order than the Wire, but I guess that's because both OZ and L&O were airing at the same time, but there were a lot of the same actors in both shows.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oz gets loving weird but it's definitely worth a watch, there are some great stories in it especially taking into consideration the time in which it aired. It was the first real HBO show that was taken seriously and gave way to your Six Feet Unders and The Wires and everything that's been since by legitimizing HBO as serious premium television.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sweet, I'll probably watch this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

empty baggie posted:

I associate OZ actor crossover more with Law & Order than the Wire, but I guess that's because both OZ and L&O were airing at the same time, but there were a lot of the same actors in both shows.

I like to think that after the final season of Oz, there was a mass breakout from Emerald City (including the guards and other staff because it was just that kind of show) and they fled to New York and infiltrated the DickWolfiverse.

Count Roland posted:

Sweet, I'll probably watch this

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched a few seasons of Oz back in the day but I'm currently watching it all the way through and I've noticed Bodie and Carver, I still have lots to go though.