Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

LLSix posted:

Propogation VR is free on steam. It's short but good zombie shooter horror.

I've heard Elite Dangerous is good for this, but VR flight sims and my stomach don't agree so I've never gotten it set up.

Elite Dangerous is pretty easy to stomach (at least for me), especially in the larger ships. Not very intense as these things go, and it looks nice, the interiors of some of the ship cockpits are very cool.

Gameplay isn't very deep though. I just picked it up again for a bit of space trucking, but I'm just accumulating credits that I don't have anything useful to spend them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

This is the future liberals want.

Disgusting.

Just push forward on the thumb stick ya dingus.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good add on gun handle for the quest, or at least a version not to get?

I can shoot well in real life but in vr, holy poo poo I'm bad at this. I think it's because of the way the controller fits in my hand vs a gun.

Just didn't know if there was a go to, or a "just light your money on fire, it'll work better than that" option.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I really hope re4vr is just a timed exclusive...... How far out of line am i??

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is there a good add on gun handle for the quest, or at least a version not to get?

I can shoot well in real life but in vr, holy poo poo I'm bad at this. I think it's because of the way the controller fits in my hand vs a gun.

Just didn't know if there was a go to, or a "just light your money on fire, it'll work better than that" option.

Is this just about the angle of the grip in general or specifically for two-handed guns? If the latter, I just recently got the Magtube for my Vive to I'm really happy with it. It's frankly overpriced for what's essentially a couple tubes and holders, but it does the job well. Also feels quite immersive to actually have to wrangle around a roughly rifle-length thing in reality while you're playing.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 2, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

beep by grandpa posted:

I think native quest development is a bit more deliberate than the "timed exclusive" profit model would imply

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

beep by grandpa posted:

Resident Evil 7 VR was a timed exclusive for PSVR but then they never released the VR mode for anything else

so I don't have a lot of hope of seeing it on other platforms

on the PCVR front I've heard great things about the VR mods for the recent remakes

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Is this just about the angle of the grip in general or specifically for two-handed guns? If the latter, I just recently got the Magtube for my Vive to I'm really happy with it. It's frankly overpriced for what's essentially a couple tubes and holders, but it does the job well. Also feels quite immersive to actually have to wrangle around a roughly rifle-length thing in reality while you're playing.

Angle of the grip. Apparently when I use the controller I'm pointing ever so slightly to the right and left with my respective hands. I don't do that when I'm shooting a gun. Just a weird grip shape causing it I guess.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Perestroika posted:

I really gotta give Elite VR a try one of these days. When I played it on desktop the black holes in there always gave me a weird existential twinge of horror, and I'm sure in VR that's just gonna be :discourse:

The black holes are indeed cool and creepy in VR. I wish it wasn't such a pain in the rear end to get out to Sag A*, as its quite a sight. If the game is good for anything its immersion in VR, if you already own it its criminal to at least not check it out in VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVM0m1NuK6s

Angle of the grip. Apparently when I use the controller I'm pointing ever so slightly to the right and left with my respective hands. I don't do that when I'm shooting a gun. Just a weird grip shape causing it I guess.

If you have a 3d printer there are various attachments people have made to make it more gun like, from something basic like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4760656

to over the top full gun attachments like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4759134

Maybe you'd find something like that would help?

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Here's Zenith's bow class: The Cyber Ninja

quote:

For enemies at a distance, the cyberninja can pull back a charged shot with its bow and take an enemy out before it even notices them.

The hookshot (still experimental and might change) gives the cyberninja a whole new type of mobility, being able to quickly pull itself towards an enemy for example, drop an explosive, then hookshot to a wall to quickly get out of the way before the explosive turns the monster into a pile of ash.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

First time Meta has released a report with the Reality Labs counting as a separate unit, so let's see...

$2.2B in revenue for 2021, twice as much as 2020, but spending $12B a year means they lost $10B.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zet posted:

Ok I’ll buy this game now.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

First time Meta has released a report with the Reality Labs counting as a separate unit, so let's see...

$2.2B in revenue for 2021, twice as much as 2020, but spending $12B a year means they lost $10B.

Honestly not sure which of the two numbers is more impressive(/terrifying)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo I suck at Arizona sunshine. Currently trapped in a mine where I get stuck in the dark while a horde attacks. Between the gunfire flashes and the lack of light is disorienting as hell.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Holy poo poo I suck at Arizona sunshine. Currently trapped in a mine where I get stuck in the dark while a horde attacks. Between the gunfire flashes and the lack of light is disorienting as hell.

There should be a spot somewhere deep enough in one of the branches that they can only come at you from one direction, I just held up in there for that part

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Turin Turambar posted:

I wish them a very losing $10 billion dollars for this year and next

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 3, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Zuck did confirm premium headset this year. Hopefully get some details sooner than later.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's been some doubt as to whether foveated rendering is achievable yet as it hasn't been alluded to in any of Sony's PSVR2 marketing, in spite of confirmation of eye tracking. Credit to some rando on reset era digging this up.

quote:

Evolution of headset 4K, HDR displays with a wider viewing angle and movement of the eye of the player is detected looking at certain direction then it's possible to manipulate so for rendering the high resolution for center of the view and external then lower resolution.
That's confirmation and if Sony figured it out, presumably so has everyone else.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is zenith significantly better looking on pc than quest? Anyone played both? I’m probably gonna grab it but I’m wondering if either platform is better for any reason?

Also I just opened the oculus app and it had a $10 gift that it applied to my account. No 20 or 30% off, no explanation, just a straight up “here’s :10bux:” so it might pay to log into your oculus app and check.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is zenith significantly better looking on pc than quest? Anyone played both? I’m probably gonna grab it but I’m wondering if either platform is better for any reason?

Also I just opened the oculus app and it had a $10 gift that it applied to my account. No 20 or 30% off, no explanation, just a straight up “here’s :10bux:” so it might pay to log into your oculus app and check.

I think its cross buy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It is cross buy. The PC version is infinity times better for me just because of the high fps and quick loading. Quest version gets quite chunky sometimes, especially if you're flying around a lot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

There's been some doubt as to whether foveated rendering is achievable yet as it hasn't been alluded to in any of Sony's PSVR2 marketing, in spite of confirmation of eye tracking. Credit to some rando on reset era digging this up.

That's confirmation and if Sony figured it out, presumably so has everyone else.

That'd make the Deckard REAL interesting if Valve also managed to put together a standalone x86 headset with foveated rendering. I could honestly see it happen (grain of salt and all that of course), just because the Index was intended to be a kitchen-sink testbed of a platform as well in the hopes others would iterate off it. And unlike the Index, a standalone x86 headset'd be worth something iterating off of by other companies.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This is pretty cool, using Varjo's tools to result in seeing your actual arms and hands on a VR steering wheel.

The way they did it was two-part.

First, the wheel is mounted to a big flat "dashboard". The flat dashboard area is marked (using a Varjo tool) as a flat plane through which to do video passthrough, so that's how you are seeing the hands and arms: the flat board is treated as a video passthrough window. But that's only half of it. The rest is done by greenscreen -- anything green is replaced by the VR view.

So the result is that anything in the green board/wheel area (anything that is not green itself) is given the video passthrough treatment.

The wheel is not quite 1:1, but if 1:1 mapping to physical controls is your jam then TinkerPilot is the project you want to look at (and I have a compatible HOTAS I am just waiting to try it with someday.)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Zenith plays pretty well on the Quest 2. Sound is a little different (more compressed I think), effects are different, there is no shadows, the art style is changed to be brighter, less polygons on models, draw distance is less, longer load times, etc. But it still plays and performs well, unlike A Township Tale on standalone Quest 2.

I usually just play on the PC, though, as I like the better draw distance and shorter load times.

Graphical comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9l1CZSLM5w

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
Is there a good breakdown somewhere on why the Quest 2 is best available VR setup right now and how exactly everything that is good about it works?

The last thing I remember reading about it is it requiring a facebook account to use, but from what I understand it actually has pretty good tracking without beacons and you can somehow use it with your PC without being physically connected to it. I have an ancient HTC Vive that is breaking down and feels pretty uncomfortable to use at this point. I would love to be able to play wirelessly in a different room than where I have my PC and Vive beacons set up and the price point seems fairly affordable in comparison to some of the competitors. How does the wireless linking work? Does the difference in internal storage options matter if I'm going to run the games through my PC? How much of a pain is the facebook/meta account requirement for using it (if that is still a thing) and if I buy one can I play the VR games I already own on Steam? Anything else to consider?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lowwayman posted:

Is there a good breakdown somewhere on why the Quest 2 is best available VR setup right now and how exactly everything that is good about it works?

-It's cheap. And that doesn't mean in exchange of cheap hardware, the screen is high resolution and high refresh, and the mobile chip is top of the line (at the time of release).
-It allows for wireless, standalone gaming. Important because cables suck when moving around and because most people don't have a gaming PC (and vr needs a beefy computer)
-that said it's a 2 in 1 device, as it can be used as a PC gaming headset.
-and if you do that, you have a wifi streaming option for wireless gaming with a small latency/quality penalty.
-It doesn't need extra sensors or devices.
-the tracking is pretty good, given it doesn't have help of extra devices.
-good controllers, great battery on them.

quote:

The last thing I remember reading about it is it requiring a facebook account to use, but from what I understand it actually has pretty good tracking without beacons and you can somehow use it with your PC without being physically connected to it. I have an ancient HTC Vive that is breaking down and feels pretty uncomfortable to use at this point. I would love to be able to play wirelessly in a different room than where I have my PC and Vive beacons set up and the price point seems fairly affordable in comparison to some of the competitors. How does the wireless linking work? Does the difference in internal storage options matter if I'm going to run the games through my PC? How much of a pain is the facebook/meta account requirement for using it (if that is still a thing) and if I buy one can I play the VR games I already own on Steam? Anything else to consider?

No, internal storage won't matter if you use as a pc headset.
The wireless linking is pretty painless imo, if you have a decent-ish router. You have both the free, official system and a third party app, Virtual Desktop (only $15)
The FB account requirement is 0 pain, in my experience. You login once on the mobile app in the initial setup... and that's it.
Yes, you can play your own SteamVR games on it.

What I can't comment is the difference in quality of playing native on pc vs streaming through usb vs streaming through wifi. Others will have to say.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 3, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A bit more of financial data from Meta

The Zuck posted:

On the hardware front, we’re seeing real traction with Quest 2. People have spent more than $1B on Quest store content, helping virtual reality developers grow and sustain their business.

and

https://twitter.com/c_pruett/status/1489012183212068866

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My boss just bought me a Q2 Refurb from walmart (we do VR dev) and, like, you could never tell this was refurb if it didn't say so. Still felt new in box with all the little tear off seals and everything. Honestly I didn't even *know* it was a refurb until I saw the warranty guide was a refurb warranty guide. Quality stuff.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zet posted:

quote:

hookshot

Sold

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

lowwayman posted:

-It's extremely cheap

-It's got optics and screens as good or better than a lot of helmets that cost twice as much

-the controllers are above average and better than most vr controllers (worse than only the truly top of the line ones)

-It's stand alone and has it's own game store of games it can run without a computer.

-it can also plug into a computer anyway or even stream over wifi to be cord free computer gaming.

Basically it's a 299 headset that is better than every headset that costs less than 2000 dollars, but also is a stand alone thing where you can play beatsaber without any computer at all while still being able to use it to play steam games, without any wires or lighthouses or anything external.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Hearing all the love for the quest 2, in here, I'm starting to feel that my Index was not the best purchasing decision :smith:

I love the controllers, though!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Used airlink for the first time to play Subnautica. Works well, but since I am seated I was using the stationary boundary instead of room boundary. One issue is that the blue ring never disappears, even during gameplay. Is there a way to get rid of it or should I just switch back to using the roomscale boundary even though I don't plan on moving?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Does anyone know if revenues like this account for referral $$? Personally I’ve spent like $45 in real cash on the oculus store but like $120 in referral Zuck bucks

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Megasabin posted:

Used airlink for the first time to play Subnautica. Works well, but since I am seated I was using the stationary boundary instead of room boundary. One issue is that the blue ring never disappears, even during gameplay. Is there a way to get rid of it or should I just switch back to using the roomscale boundary even though I don't plan on moving?

blue ring is appearing because you are just at the edge of your stationary boundary. honestly the stationary boundary sucks and is a bit buggy i suggest room boundary whenever possible

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can adjust when the controllers and headset trigger the boundary, so you may just have it set too high in the device settings.

null_pointer posted:

Hearing all the love for the quest 2, in here, I'm starting to feel that my Index was not the best purchasing decision :smith:

I love the controllers, though!

If you had the money for it then the Index is a solid purchase, I wouldn't feel bad about it. It's just unfortunate that no-one else can subsidise a headset to hit a similar price to feature ratio as the Quest, so it's more that it's a great budget option rather than everything else being overpriced.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah just make a roomscale boundary but draw a bigger circle around yourself

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

null_pointer posted:

Index came out June 28, 2019, Quest 2 came out October 13, 2020

VR is still new enough the newest thing is always likely to be the best one.

Like PSVR 2 will be a cheap introductory level headset in a year that has eye tracking, where right now that is a top end feature you can barely get in a few top end headsets. You just aren't going to buy anything that stays top of the line very long

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Just TURN OFF THE GUARDIAN if you're seated. Unless you need it. And when I'm seated I like, usually, don't

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I usually find out that I can move my chair back a bit while inside a seated guardian without it triggering the borders. The default position puts you centered in the scene, but your head doesn't need to be centered - it can be almost at the back edge of the guardian. That way your hands don't move too close to the boundary when you move them around.

Something like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I go guardian off most of the time because I always play on a mat and never leave the mat. I know as long as I am on the mat I can swing with abandon.

I like Quest's beta feature that passes through potential obstacles in red, I wish it could be on but only for things that are moving. If I do "roomscale bigger than the mat" to try and keep it on, it will give me constant outlines of like my couch and speakers and other things that I know aren't going to be hit. If I make the boundary not include those things then it isn't useful for what I would want the obstacle warning for in the first place (people and pets).