Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Something I just realized I had enough of is sequences in action-y games where you're sick/hallucinating, so your vision and movement are off, and you stop every 20 seconds to barf. Far Cry 6 has pulled this out a couple times now, one of them even with constant health drain. It's just stupid and annoying from a gameplay perspective, I've never enjoyed it.

Play far cry 2 and experience it every fifteen minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I know Borderlands 3 isn't exactly a celebrated game, but I have spent so much loving time trying to figure out how to change the way vehicles control.

See, the first time you get in a vehicle, it says, "the vehicle controls still suck after all these years but you can change them in the options!"

Well, I looked but couldn't really find it, and just figured, I'll deal with the awful vehicle controls. But man, it's like, every time I get in a vehicle I'm reminded how much it sucks, I go through the options looking for it, decide it's not worth the frustration and I'll just endure it. This dumb loop of frustration happens often. Plus I was playing with a buddy and he hated it too but it didn't seem worth it to pause the game while we scrutinized the options.

I finally just looked it up. What I learned is that there IS NOT OPTIONS for changing the way the vehicle drives -- that is, unless you're using a controller. The controller section has a place where you can change the way vehicles control. It is found only under the "controller" options. Not controls, not gameplay, not advanced, but "controller." AND not only that, it's not like it gives you options of, say, classic mode / tank controls / whatever. Instead you have to choose between one of three controller-based thumbstick settings. Well I'm not using a loving thumbstick.

It turns out in order to get vehicles to control like vehicles do in any other loving game, the setting I need for my loving first-person shooter I'm playing with a loving mouse and keyboard is Vehicle Relative: Left Side thumbstick setting.

Now that the lovely vehicles in this lovely game loving drive right, I can get back to being disappointed.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

moosecow333 posted:

The worst one was the one in Nier: Automata, that one was a massive pain in the rear end.

I don't remember what this was unless it's the part where 2B is all hosed up limping through the world and can't fight and you can fall down a slope and be unable to get where you need to go (which is what happened to me and I had to reload). But forced impairment/injury sequences like that haven't been novel since CoD4 and I'll take the dissonance of Sleeping Dogs where you're tortured but can still fight normally over that.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Even like 50 years ago when I first played ff7 I thought " whats the big deal, just use a Phoenix down on her"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

With Dying Light 2 out in a few days, I've been replaying the original a bit.

The story quest "The Pit" is one of the all time worst quests I have ever had in any game. All your items get taken away, and you are thrown into an arena battle. You have to kill a couple dozen zombies with the trash weapons and spikes all over the arena. Then you have to fight a Demolisher, one of the strongest enemies in the game, for the first time with a melee weapon. Then you have to escape the building while enemies shoot at you and fire rockets. Then, you have to make your way back to your home base while that lovely "zombie disease saps you of all your stamina" happens every 5 seconds.

Just miserable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Even like 50 years ago when I first played ff7 I thought " whats the big deal, just use a Phoenix down on her"

The only consistent thing about Final Fantasy is that doesn't work. It didn't save Scott, Joseph, Minwu, Tellah, Galuf, General Leo, etc.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just stuffing a bunch of feathers into her sword wound like stuffing a pillow. "That should do it, right?"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

what you're all ignoring is the dichotomy between 'death' the status effect and 'death' as in the end result of mortality, in this essay i'll

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

The only consistent thing about Final Fantasy is that doesn't work. It didn't save Scott, Joseph, Minwu, Tellah, Galuf, General Leo, etc.

With Galuf the rest of the party tries every method of revival in rapid succession, and none of them work.

And maybe that's necessary, because one of the other consistent things I see about Final Fantasy is people trying to prove they're smarter than the story. Maybe the only way to make people believe a death in some of those games really is to immediately line up every possible healing technique in the game and then individually show that they don't work.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

But what if you need those for a boss fight. Better to save them

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kazil posted:

With Dying Light 2 out in a few days, I've been replaying the original a bit.

The story quest "The Pit" is one of the all time worst quests I have ever had in any game. All your items get taken away, and you are thrown into an arena battle. You have to kill a couple dozen zombies with the trash weapons and spikes all over the arena. Then you have to fight a Demolisher, one of the strongest enemies in the game, for the first time with a melee weapon. Then you have to escape the building while enemies shoot at you and fire rockets. Then, you have to make your way back to your home base while that lovely "zombie disease saps you of all your stamina" happens every 5 seconds.

Just miserable.

The weirdest bad thing about Dying Light 1 is how you do this quest string to get a gun smith to help you leading you to think you're going to get to customize guns like you do melee weapons. Instead he just gives you a bunch of random guns that all do the same damage.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

With Galuf the rest of the party tries every method of revival in rapid succession, and none of them work.

And maybe that's necessary, because one of the other consistent things I see about Final Fantasy is people trying to prove they're smarter than the story. Maybe the only way to make people believe a death in some of those games really is to immediately line up every possible healing technique in the game and then individually show that they don't work.

I'm a big fan of FF4 with Palom and Porom turning themselves to stone (via the Stone spell, explicitly) in order to save the party from a deathtrap. When you 'talk' to their statues, a dialog comes up that allows you to use items on them, such as Soft etc. Nothing will work, of course

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Not once in all of the FF deaths has anyone just suggested dragging them back to an inn for a good nights rest.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Phoenix Downs work on Princess Bride rules— you can only be mostly dead. You have to be slightly alive.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Evilreaver posted:

I'm a big fan of FF4 with Palom and Porom turning themselves to stone (via the Stone spell, explicitly) in order to save the party from a deathtrap. When you 'talk' to their statues, a dialog comes up that allows you to use items on them, such as Soft etc. Nothing will work, of course

Sure, but of course they just fuckin come back at the end with like no explanation which really just undermines their sacrifice. Meanwhile Tellah doesn't, for some reason. Neither does his daughter. Maybe it's genetic.

You know, when it comes to sacrifices in storytelling, I don't care if the sacrifice happens on page 30; if the sacrifice is undone by book 7, page 980, it still fuckin undermines and cancels out the sacrifice. I hatehatehate experiencing stories now where there is a "sacrifice" and I spend the rest of the game wondering if that character is going to come back or not. That's not the feeling I should have; I should be mourning a loss, not trying to gauge how likely the developers of this game are going to rely on a lovely simple happy fuckin ending instead of allowing the audience to experience a reaction that isn't bubblegum fuckin sugar poo poo.

credburn has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Feb 3, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've been playing Bonfire Peaks lately. It's a really cool puzzle game with a voxel art style. I really like most of the game because the puzzles are fun and challenging and there's a ton of them to find all over the mountain, but like 4 puzzle solutions throughout the game are absolute bullshit. They use mechanics that are literally nowhere else in the game, and in some cases actually break the game's own established rules.

-There are crumbling bricks that collapse if you walk on them once. This also happens if you burn one of the crates. If you put a normal crate on top of a crumbling brick and walk over it, the crate will fall through. But in one solution - and only one - if you put a burned crate on top of a crumbling brick, you can walk over it twice.
-Usually if a crate falls on your head, it falls off if you move. But there's one solution where you have to walk it across the fire with it on your head, and it doesn't fall off.
-There are arrow traps throughout the game. At no point do they ever hint at the idea that you can put an arrow back in the trap, much less ride the crate it's on, and then suddenly it's the only way to do a couple late-game puzzles.
-In a water current puzzle, the solution is to walk diagonally to climb a box, something you have NEVER been able to do anywhere else in the game.

All of these felt cheap rather than clever. The game's great otherwise, so I don't understand why they decided to throw in a few that cheat. You pretty much have to look up solution spoilers for those.

sticklefifer has a new favorite as of 15:07 on Feb 3, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cleretic posted:

And then Final Fantasy Tactics, a game with many Dramatic Deaths and stab wounds in cutscenes are repeatedly shown to be super fatal, has a comic relief bit where Mustadio is killed with an explosion and Ramza calls for Phoenix down and he gets better off screen.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

See, getting shot with a missile, struck by lightning, hit by a meteor - those are the kinds of minor injuries that a phoenix down will pick you back up from. Getting stabbed with a sword is much more serious.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The sun going supernova and destroying the solar system is a powerful AOE attack which will do about 4/5 of your max health.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The sun going supernova and destroying the solar system is a powerful AOE attack which will do about 4/5 of your max health.

Of course it can’t kill you, it’s Gravity damage.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We've still yet to see if pickling a phoenix down inside megalixir does anything because they're too good to use.

credburn posted:

Sure, but of course they just fuckin come back at the end with like no explanation which really just undermines their sacrifice. Meanwhile Tellah doesn't, for some reason. Neither does his daughter. Maybe it's genetic.

You know, when it comes to sacrifices in storytelling, I don't care if the sacrifice happens on page 30; if the sacrifice is undone by book 7, page 980, it still fuckin undermines and cancels out the sacrifice. I hatehatehate experiencing stories now where there is a "sacrifice" and I spend the rest of the game wondering if that character is going to come back or not. That's not the feeling I should have; I should be mourning a loss, not trying to gauge how likely the developers of this game are going to rely on a lovely simple happy fuckin ending instead of allowing the audience to experience a reaction that isn't bubblegum fuckin sugar poo poo.

drat, really holding onto that 1893 grudge

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 08:47 on Feb 3, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

We've still yet to see if pickling a phoenix down inside megalixir does anything because they're too good to use.
Incorrect, it makes a Super Elixir that cures all status effects and restores all HP and MP for the entire party!

We have Rikku's painstaking research to thank for this advancement in modern medicine.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
0hp in battle means incapacitated/fainted/exhausted

Phoenix down is basically cocaine

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

credburn posted:

You can usually tell when a death is truly permanent and when there’s a chance it’ll be undone

I don’t mind this trend because it means my usual reaction is “oh, drat, this is terrible. They’ll come back though, right? …right?” and denial is the first stage of grief so it checks out! I don’t care to speedrun to the acceptance stage, and narrative ambiguity means I won’t really know until I get to the end

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

what you're all ignoring is the dichotomy between 'death' the status effect and 'death' as in the end result of mortality, in this essay i'll

On one of the official D&D forums someone did a deep dive on how mechanics vs narrative were screwy in 3e

The big parts are I remember are

A) There are spells which let you regenerate lost limbs, but there are no mechanics in D&D that would let you lose an arm or a leg.

B) Both 'Dying' and 'Dead' are mechanical status effects with explicitly-spelled out rules. However, while 'dying' characters are unconscious and incapable of acting, 'dead' characters are not. This may explain why all D&D settings are chock full of walking corpses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

Exactly that kind of undermining its own story elements at every turn is basically why I feel FF7 Remake doesn't work

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Because you're mad at something that hasn't happened yet?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Waste of Breath posted:

I'll take the dissonance of Sleeping Dogs where you're tortured but can still fight normally over that.

there is that one tme you get poisoned tea in the dlc which is a mega pain in the butt

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Evilreaver posted:

This is cool but I am also some how hypocritically also a huge fan of things like in FF9 where you can save a character with an item.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It feels like these days most RPGs are a lot more careful about clarifying the revive items only bring back people who are near dead, rather than actually dead, though that can still be a bit weird when somebody is badly wounded in a cutscene. Of course, this is the genre where getting shot with a gun just does 17 damage so it’s probably not worth thinking about too hard.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

It feels like these days most RPGs are a lot more careful about clarifying the revive items only bring back people who are near dead, rather than actually dead, though that can still be a bit weird when somebody is badly wounded in a cutscene. Of course, this is the genre where getting shot with a gun just does 17 damage so it’s probably not worth thinking about too hard.

Similarly FF7R has a scene in which you beat up a bunch of guards with a sword the size of a person, and then there's a cutscene in which Tifa pleads with Cloud not to kill them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

marshmallow creep posted:

And then Final Fantasy Tactics, a game with many Dramatic Deaths and stab wounds in cutscenes are repeatedly shown to be super fatal, has a comic relief bit where Mustadio is killed with an explosion and Ramza calls for Phoenix down and he gets better off screen.

Yeah, but FFT also has a mechanic where your characters are permadead after 3 rounds of being knocked out, so they've established that being incapacitated is different from death.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Similarly FF7R has a scene in which you beat up a bunch of guards with a sword the size of a person, and then there's a cutscene in which Tifa pleads with Cloud not to kill them.

Near the endgame Barret gets threatened by one schlubby guy with one regular sized gun and not five minutes later he’s fighting a giant robot that's 99% gun

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Considering how I don't think he's ever shown sharpening it, the actual cutting edge on his sword must be pretty blunt by now. I would imagine it would be more like getting hit by... well... a heavy steel beam rather than being cut by a sword at this point. It'll royally gently caress you up and probably bruise and break bones, but as long as you get some medical attention, you'll probably live.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Look, if Kiryu can jam a big cutlass straight through a bunch of folks' intestines while leaving them healthy enough to embarrassedly apologize and run away, I think Cloud can too

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

My Lovely Horse posted:

Exactly that kind of undermining its own story elements at every turn is basically why I feel FF7 Remake doesn't work

I guess I disagree because I feel that that is the entire theme of the game. The whole thing is an undermining.

FF7:Remake is going to be like a decade long essay in video game form, which I'm down for, I suppose, but I am not sure what point it's actually trying to make and I'm annoyed it's going to take eleven more years to get there.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

credburn posted:

I guess I disagree because I feel that that is the entire theme of the game. The whole thing is an undermining.

FF7:Remake is going to be like a decade long essay in video game form, which I'm down for, I suppose, but I am not sure what point it's actually trying to make and I'm annoyed it's going to take eleven more years to get there.

The problem with that is the because of the long time frame, the people who started it and laid the foundations aren't going to be the same people the finish it. So it's not going to be a decade long essay, it's going to be 3-4 badly hacked together ones.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finished Wrath of the Righteous last night. Posting the negative half of my review in this thread:

* None of the characters impressed me. The only one I actually despised, I got a chance to (and did) kill, but this simply is not a memorable cast of characters to me. Even the characters I liked - notably Arue, Seelah, Ember, and Aivu - felt underwritten. Areelu was a better villain in Baldur's Gate 2 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

* A whole lot of bugs and/or obscure triggers made sidequest and character arcs problematic at times.

* Too dedicated to replicating tabletop game systems (especially regarding character builds) for its own good.

* I felt like the game was punishing me for ignoring crusade mode.

* Arue's romance just... ended, after sleeping with her, and it was never referenced again until a single line before the final dungeon. She was also painfully gender-neutral, I don't think she ever referred to my PC as a woman or called her 'she' or anything.

* Fire whoever made Act 4 into the sun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Getting on a bit better with God of War after hitting the first upgrade shop although I have also just reached the bit with the boar and quietly chuckled to myself thinking if this really is a God of War game that tree tortoise is not long for this world

It's not really a God of War game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Argh, Scarecrow will not shut the hell up. All he does is sit on the Gotham wide PA system and drone on and on about how I’m a failure and the city is soon to be doomed, he’s been doing it literally all game.