Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SmockJoc posted:

Beta has a new character and item, both giving a rez (or 2 or 3) when you die. Still haven't managed to kill Death though, at least without cheating.

I got a kill on death early on somehow, I think posthumously? At least I have the achievement for killing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Does projectile speed actually help at all? Most of the time I'm smashing enemies right beside me so it's not like I'd need projectile speed to help me hit them, and unless it's a piercing projectile it's just gonna stop on the first enemy it hits. Even if it does pierce wouldn't I want it to be slower so it has the opportunity to hit more enemies as they group up surround me more?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Does projectile speed actually help at all? Most of the time I'm smashing enemies right beside me so it's not like I'd need projectile speed to help me hit them, and unless it's a piercing projectile it's just gonna stop on the first enemy it hits. Even if it does pierce wouldn't I want it to be slower so it has the opportunity to hit more enemies as they group up surround me more?

Projectiles that have a duration benefit from speed (bible, runetracer, bones) because they’ll hit more things while they’re around.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

awesmoe posted:

Projectiles that have a duration benefit from speed (bible, runetracer, bones) because they’ll hit more things while they’re around.

Ah right, that all checks out to me. Thanks!

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I'd been sleeping on Santa Water for a long time, but my most recent run has made me a believer. Even in the last minute nothing could get near me. The ring of santa water remained permanently unless I moved too quickly.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

awesmoe posted:

However, there are some projectiles that do not benefit from duration. Specifically, I'm thinking of the run i did recently with the secret randomized stats character unlocked by killing death where I had a huge decrease in projectile speed, causing the scythe projectiles to just sloooooooowly crawl offscreen, clearing a path as they went. It was hilarious until a boss tanked them enough to get close and I couldn't outrun it with -70% move speed.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

:yeshaha:

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

awesmoe posted:

Cross also benefits from it, since without much speed they only go a bit away from you before boomeranging around. The more speed you have the further away they get, which means they have better screen coverage.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

shimmy shimmy posted:

Cross also benefits from it, since without much speed they only go a bit away from you before boomeranging around. The more speed you have the further away they get, which means they have better screen coverage.

I don't think this is actually true; I just did a Dommario run with something like +120% speed (whatever base +40% +50% bracer +30%? gold powerup is) and the cross/sword still only went out the same distance, but much faster, or I couldn't tell from the sheer amount of poo poo flying around (or the base range is so pitiful that what I think is default is actually hugely increased)

in all cases they still do full-screen+ clears on the boomerang

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Try cross on dommario and then exdash. It absolutely flies further with higher projectile speed. Same wjth axes. With exdash they just fall down.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Does anyone know what the two transparent vertical bars in the upper right corner of the screen are?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pause button if you're playing mouse-only

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Ok so it wasn't just my imagination that my axes were way more excitable with dommario

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

koshmar posted:

I'd been sleeping on Santa Water for a long time, but my most recent run has made me a believer. Even in the last minute nothing could get near me. The ring of santa water remained permanently unless I moved too quickly.

Absolutely. It turns out that Santa Water is incredible when you fully upgrade it with +AoE, +Duration, and +Cast Rate. Even on the new +50% enemy health Forest level, enemies literally couldn't even make it to my side of the Water AoE from the knockback and damage. When I used it, the screen was empty except for the very edges until the moment the Grim Reaper spawned.

Santa Water feels like one of the worst abilities initially but ends up being one of the best endgame weapons. Even in the midgame it's pretty effective, but it still doesn't feel great. End game though, between it and the Evolved Bible, nothing gets anywhere near you and it's awesome.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 4, 2022

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I really like projectile speed in combination with King Bible, because it makes the individual projectiles move quicker and leaves less space for enemies to sneak through your circle of pain.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

SmockJoc posted:

Beta has a new character and item, both giving a rez (or 2 or 3) when you die. Still haven't managed to kill Death though, at least without cheating.

New item can be had as a powerup:

100k enemies killed (overall, not single game) to unlock new guy

Survive for 20 minutes on new guy to get CAKE OF RESSURECTION

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
If fully powered up, Santa Water is pretty much always my highest damage weapon at the end of the run

Biggest problem is i can’t see poo poo, but it’s not that big of a problem because I don’t have to

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:laffo: They named the new character "Crotchy".

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 4, 2022

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

yeeeeah santa water is real real good

how are we supposed to read the Time value on the scoreboard anyway? total time the weapon was used during that run?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Today while attempting to stave off Death, I finally noticed that the clock lancet's freeze pattern isn't random, but instead rotates through the hours of a clock. :cripes:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that's why it's called a lancet

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I got my first win! Gennaro with the knife upgrade at 10 minutes is a beast.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello Sailor posted:

Today while attempting to stave off Death, I finally noticed that the clock lancet's freeze pattern isn't random, but instead rotates through the hours of a clock. :cripes:

hi friend thank you i always knew this yup definitely i never thought it was random no sir this is something i deduced for myself for sure!!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

1 fps

Ruggan fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 4, 2022

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

New item can be had as a powerup:

My thought process:
Ok, there's a joke here (is anyone surprised) but what is it?
Let's see, the effect is....

gently caress

Tiramisù (lit: pickmeup) is a famous Italian dessert and the connection with the effect is obvious.
So why Tiragisù? Well, Gesù (Jesus) is quite close in pronunciation to gisù and what is he famous for? :suicide:

E: and here I thought the acqua santa into Santa water joke was bad enough already.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Omobono posted:

My thought process:
Ok, there's a joke here (is anyone surprised) but what is it?
Let's see, the effect is....

gently caress

Tiramisù (lit: pickmeup) is a famous Italian dessert and the connection with the effect is obvious.
So why Tiragisù? Well, Gesù (Jesus) is quite close in pronunciation to gisù and what is he famous for? :suicide:

E: and here I thought the acqua santa into Santa water joke was bad enough already.

I suppose you could say there are layers to it. :newlol:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think I might prefer if a full run was 15 or 20 minutes long, rather than a half hour. The last 10 minutes does seem to be mostly a joke about enemy spawn rates, which was petty funny the first time but now I'm falling into clock watching once I get my second evolved weapon.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Fun little game.

Also while he has a *rough* start and you absolutely have to not fall into the trap of picking early garlic to make it bearable, the skellington is pretty loving funny once he gets rolling. Just did a run with bone, knives, magic wand, fire wand & both birbs... and a duplicator. All eventually evolved (second birb was replaced by holy water). Bosses would get obliterated in seconds.

I kinda had to take the birbs because I wanted that cheevo, but I expect it's even dumber with runetracer and, like, bible or axes or someshit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Garlic isn't really as much of a trap as it may look like. Yeah it won't do much for you in the last ten minutes or thereabouts, but if you get it early enough it can put you so far ahead of the XP curve that it can be a real help getting your other weapons evolved before things get critical.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Garlic isn't really as much of a trap as it may look like. Yeah it won't do much for you in the last ten minutes or thereabouts, but if you get it early enough it can put you so far ahead of the XP curve that it can be a real help getting your other weapons evolved before things get critical.

Yeah, running through bats/mudmen at full pelt in the first few mins with one or two levels of garlic can put you in a very strong early position with exp, and you only really need 3 good solid weapons to win a run anyway, so eating a slot for garlic isn't bad for an average run.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bones should be marinated in garlic before use

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I like Garlic just as much for the pushback than anything else.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pushback is pretty important for Green Acres on hyper. You don't need garlic, but then you probably have to spec for some combination of evolved axes, bible and birds.

As a sidenote, I love going full birb because it gives some sense of progression in the last 10 minutes. It's also a nice risk/reward calculation because they aren't great weapons in the early to mid game without something else that's on a low cooldown. It would be cool if there were more megaweapon combinations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Until they massively increase the difficulty garlic isn't a trap because everything in the last 10 mins is a joke once you evolve a couple of weapons.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bug Squash posted:

I think I might prefer if a full run was 15 or 20 minutes long, rather than a half hour. The last 10 minutes does seem to be mostly a joke about enemy spawn rates, which was petty funny the first time but now I'm falling into clock watching once I get my second evolved weapon.
Yeah it's hard to complain about a $3 game but I definitely wish it was tuned for 20 minutes and not 30 minutes. The last ten minute of each run are definitely not as interesting as the first twenty minutes.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The last ten minutes is where I get tempted into a sense of complacency and stop paying attention, until a boss suddenly manages to phase through my bullshit layers of aerodynamic bibles and holiday-based fluids and gibs me because I'm just standing there, like an idiot.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I like the last 10 minutes because it's where I get to cackle like a madman at how absurd my damage has gotten. I'm sure it gets old eventually, but it hasn't yet :agesilaus:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Artelier posted:

hi friend thank you i always knew this yup definitely i never thought it was random no sir this is something i deduced for myself for sure!!

JordanKai posted:

I suppose you could say there are layers to it. :newlol:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Pushback is pretty important for Green Acres on hyper. You don't need garlic, but then you probably have to spec for some combination of evolved axes, bible and birds.

I had some ambitious builds on Green Acres Hyper that just kept dying the second time the ghosts appear (as swarms) and I got overwhelmed. So I have definitely used garlic as a failsafe to survive until things start coming together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Love the look of this game, got it since it's so cheap and to support the devs. Will definitely play when I have more time.