Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mr. Pool posted:

Just lollin that our main character is a witcher. Just functionally identical to a witcher. kidnapped as a child and experimented on so that he can survive the administration of powerful (and potentially deadly, oo!) potions all the for purpose of .... fighting monsters!!

Yeah why did they have to do this? Wasn't Aiden just some normal dude in the first game, why add this dumb backstory

Edit: Nvm, I'm misremembering, Aiden wasn't in game 1

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The best feature this game has is letting you skip dialogue one line at a time so I can get the idea of how stupid the story is in a fraction of the time by mashing the skip button.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

survivor sense should be a toggle like highlight all interactables in crpgs

i end up spamming it in every game with detective vision anyway

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh yeah, ragdolls seem kinda hosed in this game compared to DL1 don't they? Someone just mentioned it in the steam thread and that reminded me of it. If you take out a zombie from the legs they go flying comically backwards in a really over the top way and I feel like they just sorta realistically crumpled in a far more satisfying manner in DL1. That said, the head caving in's are :discourse:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

explosivo posted:

The best feature this game has is letting you skip dialogue one line at a time so I can get the idea of how stupid the story is in a fraction of the time by mashing the skip button.

Yeah same, I get it, there's zombies (sorry, biters), I'm infected, poo poo's bad, don't trust everybody, yada yada. Can I just run around and drop kick zombies please, thank you.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah why did they have to do this? Wasn't Aiden just some normal dude in the first game, why add this dumb backstory

Edit: Nvm, I'm misremembering, Aiden wasn't in game 1

Kyle occasionally getting sick of that bald guys poo poo and wrecking a squad of dudes in under a second suggested he wasn't super normal.

Dunno if that explains his own ability to get night vision by smushing some grass and mushrooms together though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'll be curious to see how buggy the co-op is once people have some time with it. My friend and I really enjoyed playing through Dying Light 1 but neither of us is interested in trying to push through bugs for the entire run-time.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Speaking of Survivor Sense, at the moment I have the issue where it just stops working. Just doesn't ping at all.
About the ragdolls, zombies and people don't cling properly to spikes anymore :(

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I have a pretty high-end PC with a 3090 and was running into some performance issues. Random hangs and stutters. People associate that with Denuvo. Also the game itself has some weird bugs right now. Early in the game I dropped off shallow ledge and instantly died. Compared to the first, the combat has taken a major step backward. I decided to get a refund and wait for improvements.

I think if you're hankering for some dying light right now, the original may be the way to go.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So I can't do the running dropkick any more, right? I have to stagger an enemy.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

So I can't do the running dropkick any more, right? I have to stagger an enemy.

Theres a dropkick in the combat tree

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Levelling seems painfully slow so far.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pead posted:

Theres a dropkick in the combat tree

That's the one where I have to stagger an enemy so I can hop over them, then I can dropkick isn't it?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Steam reviews seem to be focussing on Denuvo for now but what to do people think? Worse/stupider plot but better world/parkour/combat?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Pierson posted:

Steam reviews seem to be focussing on Denuvo for now but what to do people think? Worse/stupider plot but better world/parkour/combat?

World seems better. Combat seems much worse. Parkour is good.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

That's the one where I have to stagger an enemy so I can hop over them, then I can dropkick isn't it?

the dropkick is farther down the tree.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Pierson posted:

Every denuvo game gets review bombed at launch because there's a piracy culture war/"technical issues" astroturfing since it takes months for newer denuvo titles to get cracked (there's only 1 dev who cracks denuvo and her queue of games is lengthy)
Just watch as Total Warhammer 3 gets the same treatment later this month

that said DL2 so far is like a 7/10

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Gyoru posted:

Every denuvo game gets review bombed at launch because there's a piracy culture war/"technical issues" astroturfing since it takes months for newer denuvo titles to get cracked (there's only 1 dev who cracks denuvo and her queue of games is lengthy)
Just watch as Total Warhammer 3 gets the same treatment later this month

that said DL2 so far is like a 7/10

I don't think it's necessarily astroturfing. As someone who bought this game, there are weird inconsistent performance issues that have been associated with Denuvo. I think it's reasonable for people to draw a connection.

The game could also just be poorly optimized

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

What's so bad about the combat compared to 1?

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

no, thats vault kick. there is also a "jump and kick" dropkick that you no longer need to be running to do.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

Interested in an answer to this too. I heard the physics engine is bugged to not work right now so zombies don't ragdoll the way they did in DL1 which would for sure be a huge downgrade, and that guns have been entirely removed which I actually like the sound of. If someone would post some combat impressions it'd be great to hear.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pierson posted:

Interested in an answer to this too. I heard the physics engine is bugged to not work right now so zombies don't ragdoll the way they did in DL1 which would for sure be a huge downgrade, and that guns have been entirely removed which I actually like the sound of. If someone would post some combat impressions it'd be great to hear.

The ragdoll is either changed or a bit broken. Watched an hour of a stream and the bodies and pieces act weird.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I can see that the zombie animations aren't quite as good as I remember. It's been years since I played the first one though. I don't get the big complaints about the combat in general. I think part of it comes from the fact that there's so much fun stuff farther down the unlock trees and it takes awhile to get there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The main complaint I've seen is that the zombies can be really tanky at higher difficulties, but as far as the physics goes, unlocking the various kicking abilities helps A LOT. Streamer I've been following are sending zombies flying left and right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

The main complaint I've seen is that the zombies can be really tanky at higher difficulties, but as far as the physics goes, unlocking the various kicking abilities helps A LOT. Streamer I've been following are sending zombies flying left and right now.

But I remember the zombies feeling extremely tanky in 1 as well until you got enough upgrades so I don't see how that's different.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PantsBandit posted:

But I remember the zombies feeling extremely tanky in 1 as well until you got enough upgrades so I don't see how that's different.

Maybe, it's been a while, but zombies in this game actually have "levels", and even the level 1 zombies start out tanking a lot of hits

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

take my opinion with a grain of salt cause I've only played 4 hours so far, but in DL1, using melee attacks on zombies felt visceral. You had to focus on hitting them in the head or knock them down and stomp/hit them on their heads to kill them. So far in DL2 it's kinda just been spamming the attack button anywhere on the zombie and eventually they will fall back onto the ground and die when their health bar depletes.

I kinda liked how in the beginning stages of DL1, fighting even regular zombies felt like a daunting task since it took a lot of concerted effort just to kill one of them properly. Melee weapons were also more scarce so you felt like you had to use the environment more, like kicking zombies into spikes or pushing them to the ground and stomping their heads to save the durability on your melee weapon. It felt more like a survival game because of the weapon fragility and scarcity, putting more stock in scouring your environment for anything you could use to make a weapon.

Anyway I get the impression that DL2 leans heavily into what combat becomes after you get skill upgrades, so I'm sure it'll get more satisfying later.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

d0grent posted:

take my opinion with a grain of salt cause I've only played 4 hours so far, but in DL1, using melee attacks on zombies felt visceral. You had to focus on hitting them in the head or knock them down and stomp/hit them on their heads to kill them. So far in DL2 it's kinda just been spamming the attack button anywhere on the zombie and eventually they will fall back onto the ground and die when their health bar depletes.
That does sound pretty disappointing actually. I remember regular zombies in DL1 were pretty tanky but they still had damage locations and physics stuff you could exploit for quicker kills. If they really took that kind of stuff out and replaced it with a generic health bar that doesn't feel like a great change.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's so many non-zombie npc's milling around in the world during the day that I have no idea who wants to kill me and who doesn't until they're already trying to kill me.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAn5TRz_2g

This seemed to net me 10-20fps on my 3080 founders edition at 1440 with no decrease in quality. The geforce experience settings ran fineish before I changed over.

You are not going to get 144 fps, but I think it runs better than cyberpunk so far.

Thanks for posting this. The suggestions are great and on point but I hate having to dig through a 35 minute video to get the actual setting suggestions so here you all go:

Low:

Mid-Range:

High End:

Also the performance hit with ray tracing seems astronomical. I used all mid-range settings but left "Global Illumination" on Ultra RT and was going between 28-50fps outdoors. I caved and dropped it to high with Quality DLSS and ended up at like 70-90 FPS with a 4790k and RTX 2080.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hakarne posted:

Also the performance hit with ray tracing seems astronomical. I used all mid-range settings but left "Global Illumination" on Ultra RT and was going between 28-50fps outdoors. I caved and dropped it to high with Quality DLSS and ended up at like 70-90 FPS with a 4790k and RTX 2080.

I think the performance hit is worth it honestly. To be fair, you have a 7-year-old CPU and the first generation of GPU that could reasonably use RT so expectations should be tempered. Your performance at those settings seems reasonable to me.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Dorkopotamis posted:

I have a pretty high-end PC with a 3090 and was running into some performance issues. Random hangs and stutters. People associate that with Denuvo. Also the game itself has some weird bugs right now. Early in the game I dropped off shallow ledge and instantly died. Compared to the first, the combat has taken a major step backward. I decided to get a refund and wait for improvements.

I think if you're hankering for some dying light right now, the original may be the way to go.

I'm surprised on the performance, I got an RTX 2070 I have half of the ray tracing stuff on , high everything else and i'm never out of 55 - 60 fps

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Mr. Pool posted:

I'm surprised on the performance, I got an RTX 2070 I have half of the ray tracing stuff on , high everything else and i'm never out of 55 - 60 fps

This guide helped tho https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAn5TRz_2g

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Kaddish posted:

I think the performance hit is worth it honestly. To be fair, you have a 7-year-old CPU and the first generation of GPU that could reasonably use RT so expectations should be tempered. Your performance at those settings seems reasonable to me.

Oh yeah, I'm running also running it 1440p so that's not a complaint. I'm actually impressed it runs so well with the settings I have considering, I was just shocked at how large the performance dip was with RT. It basically doubled my FPS.

Edit: Also I think I made a mistake jumping from God of War right into this. Talk about a shock to the system when comparing combat lol. I was also getting mad that it wouldn't detect my obviously perfect parries in the tutorial until I realized I was reflexively hitting Q to block :eng99:

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 4, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is DLSS ghosting really bad in this game for anyone else or is there some other setting I gotta change?

I turned motion blur off because it always looks like poop in games, but sometimes when people or zombies are moving there's like, this weird little aura around them. Noticeable in cutscenes with people especially.

Not raytracing anything here as it murders my FPS without much noticeable impact to quality IMO.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 4, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pwnstar posted:

Seems like if you rebind Crouch to Ctrl like a non insane person you cant do the rolling landing move properly because it doesnt rebind also, rip.

I heard someone complaining that if you're using m+kb you can't walk, only run in a stuttering fashion. Which is probably a little annoying during talking segments. Luckily I use a controller.

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you haven't upgraded to the new Nvidia drivers yet, strongly suggest that you do - was definitely worth some additional performance on my 3070.

Playing in 1440p, All RT on except reflections (basically using the DF recommended settings, adding in RT shadows), DLSS balanced on a 5600x/3070 and staying above 60fps easy. Game looks pretty dang good, plays well. All the criticisms about narrative and jank/bugs are totally on point, but it's still pretty fun. Definitely don't regret picking it up to keep me busy until the real bangers come out later in the month.

Basically hitting just like DL1 did on launch for me - it's a formulaic open world game, but it's a pretty well-executed one and the combat and parkour are well above average for the genre.

One thing I was laughing about is that on the VERY FIRST combat skill you get, the one to jump over a staggered enemy and dropkick another enemy, the little animation to show how it works has some of the worst clipping I've seen, the camera literally clips through the players legs horribly lmao

Just a weird first impression. But I suppose forget it, Jake. That's just eurojank.

Overall performance on my 3070 has been very good, but I'm at 1080p and 60 FPS locked. Haven't turned on RT, I'm not a big RT fan, I generally can't tell the difference at all so I don't care. Maybe this game is different but I always remember the Linus Tech Tips video where the majority of people could not tell the difference between RT and baked-in effects unless you really knew what to look for. And even then, it didn't necessarily look any BETTER and sometimes looked worse.

I think I'm gonna play the game past the refund window though. It's intrigued me enough

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Play posted:

I heard someone complaining that if you're using m+kb you can't walk, only run in a stuttering fashion. Which is probably a little annoying during talking segments. Luckily I use a controller.

Wait, you can walk!?

Play posted:

Overall performance on my 3070 has been very good, but I'm at 1080p and 60 FPS locked. Haven't turned on RT, I'm not a big RT fan, I generally can't tell the difference at all so I don't care. Maybe this game is different but I always remember the Linus Tech Tips video where the majority of people could not tell the difference between RT and baked-in effects unless you really knew what to look for. And even then, it didn't necessarily look any BETTER and sometimes looked worse.

If you're playing 1080p/60 on a 3070 there's like no reason not to turn it on. It looks better, immediately.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kaddish posted:

Wait, you can walk!?

Well yeah, by tilting the left stick slightly you can move slowly. Not an option using wasd though obviously.

quote:

If you're playing 1080p/60 on a 3070 there's like no reason not to turn it on. It looks better, immediately.

Alright, I'll give it a try. It probably makes sense that it would make a larger difference in games with worse baked-in effects which would be harder to do in this game than some others.

Play fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 4, 2022

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

explosivo posted:

I love it so much.

I'm sorry for the devs who poured their hearts out for the dialogue animations but I really, really do not care about the story in Dying Light. It is a must have feature for me.

Best part is that I can just cut parts of the conversation, so I can always stop at parts I find interesting instead of skipping it entirely.

Edit: vvvv good because DLSS was supposed to have fixed the strange "blur aura" it has on certain things. I guess devs are using an older version currently. Back 4 Blood had the same issue and it was eventually patched out.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Protocol7 posted:

Is DLSS ghosting really bad in this game for anyone else or is there some other setting I gotta change?

I turned motion blur off because it always looks like poop in games, but sometimes when people or zombies are moving there's like, this weird little aura around them. Noticeable in cutscenes with people especially.

Not raytracing anything here as it murders my FPS without much noticeable impact to quality IMO.

Dlss has known issues in this game. Supposed to get patched.