Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

Love the look of this game, got it since it's so cheap and to support the devs. Will definitely play when I have more time.

Look forward to hearing how much of the next 12 hours you spent playing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Look forward to hearing how much of the next 12 hours you spent playing this.

Bought the game 48 hours ago and played it for 17.3 hours since.
I unlocked everything and maxed out every powerup except bonus xp, which is currently sitting at 2/5.

New content when?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

mcbexx posted:

Bought the game 48 hours ago and played it for 17.3 hours since.
I unlocked everything and maxed out every powerup except bonus xp, which is currently sitting at 2/5.

New content when?

Opt into the beta :getin:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Speaking of unlocks, how do I get whatever is between lightning ring and clock lancet?

Also, knives are a blessing and a curse. A blessing because I can carve my way out of trouble and a curse because I didn't take any defensive weapons and I think I gave myself RSI running in circles.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Fruits of the sea posted:

Speaking of unlocks, how do I get whatever is between lightning ring and clock lancet?

Survive for 20 minutes. It's the pentagram, the shittiest weapon in the game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is very much an early access game: https://streamable.com/putgm6

Level 20

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Survive for 20 minutes. It's the pentagram, the shittiest weapon in the game.

Oh. yeah I unlocked that and never used it because I was pretty sure there had to be some incredibly lovely drawback. Thanks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is very much an early access game: https://streamable.com/putgm6

Level 20

Oh. yeah I unlocked that and never used it because I was pretty sure there had to be some incredibly lovely drawback. Thanks!

Yeah it removes all of the enemies on the screen, and leaves you none of their xp or loot.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I play without damage numbers on and vfx

The only issue is it also removes some sounds

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Playing without the damage numbers is alien to me. That's half the fun.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i'm glad the narrative on garlic turned around cause dang, it's stellar as a defensive layer.

felt like i was struggling, but *just* managed to open library. first library run on not-belmont i took garlic early and just crushed the rest of the level until the last minute when the swarms just kept getting closer as i madly spun around hurling evolved knives and crosses and shoving down floor chicken as fast as i could. felt like i barely got to 30mins, I think if I didn't have the garlic helping knockback i wouldn't have made it

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Some thoughts:

1. Skele bro = Best bro

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 4, 2022

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

And now I have maxed out every single Powerup.
When I close my eyes I can see phantom images of xp gems floating towards the center of my eyelid.
Guess I'm done for the day.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 4, 2022

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Dr_Gee posted:

i'm glad the narrative on garlic turned around cause dang, it's stellar as a defensive layer.

felt like i was struggling, but *just* managed to open library. first library run on not-belmont i took garlic early and just crushed the rest of the level until the last minute when the swarms just kept getting closer as i madly spun around hurling evolved knives and crosses and shoving down floor chicken as fast as i could. felt like i barely got to 30mins, I think if I didn't have the garlic helping knockback i wouldn't have made it

But it really isn't? Evolved bible does far superior damage, especially if you've got the bracer. Instead of having to run around grabbing heals to stay alive, you could've just stood in one spot and mowed down everything before it could touch you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing stopping people from running garlic and bible. With Porta they both cover the same area and garlic has the added benefit if hitting things inside your AOE. Garlic owns.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

But it really isn't? Evolved bible does far superior damage, especially if you've got the bracer. Instead of having to run around grabbing heals to stay alive, you could've just stood in one spot and mowed down everything before it could touch you.

This is kind of like saying that body armor is useless because if you're in a tank you're not going to get shot. Of course the evolved bible is better than the garlic, it's the goddamn evolved bible, it might be the most powerful thing in the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hey look, it is me, garlic

I make trash enemies into instant experience causing you to power up every other item in the game faster and sooner

What is that? You hate garlic? gently caress you too budyy

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I've moved away from garlic because it helps a ton in the early game but not so much in the last 2 minutes, and I don't have problems during the early game anymore but can still fumble the last 2 minutes at times.

Generally my ideal is Bone/Cross/Water/Fire Wand/Bible/Axe with Runetracer as my fav fallback if the game doesn't want to give me those. I only grab garlic if I'm in a pick 3 that doesn't have any of those or the buff items that support them

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Reduced cooldown and increased projectile speed is bananas. Just got 9.8k dps with evolved birds.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Most fun build is porta with garlic, bible, santa water, birds, axe and the mandatory lightning ring. Just a giant impassable death circle.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 4, 2022

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I'm really getting a lot of mileage out of this build with Mort.

For an impenetrable wall:

-Evolved Bible
-Santa Water
-Evolved Magic Wand (has a similar pushback effect as Garlic if anything gets through the Bible ring, and requires Empty Tome which reduces cooldown, lets you keep 100% uptime on full ring/moat of Santa Water, and makes Evolved Axes, Bone, and Santa Water fire faster)

For damage:

-Evolved Knives (requires Bracer which increases projectile speed. Turns your Evolved Bible into a buzz saw)
-Evolved Axes (requires the Candelabrador which expands AoE range of Santa Water and Bible)
-Bone

Extra passives:
-Bracelet

aww yeah. Never thought I'd be theorycrafting a $3 game lol.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 4, 2022

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Grondoth posted:

This is kind of like saying that body armor is useless because if you're in a tank you're not going to get shot. Of course the evolved bible is better than the garlic, it's the goddamn evolved bible, it might be the most powerful thing in the game.

Third World Reagan posted:

Hey look, it is me, garlic

I make trash enemies into instant experience causing you to power up every other item in the game faster and sooner

What is that? You hate garlic? gently caress you too budyy

Did either of you read the post I was replying to? They called it "stellar as a defensive layer", then described how they still had to run around manically in the last few minutes of the round to grab health to stay alive. Other weapons don't have this problem.

Garlic isn't bad, but if you're evaluating it based on its defensive properties, it's just not particularly good.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Garlic talk:
why do you need help the last 5 minutes? Leave it at level 1 or 2 and it's going to be enough for most trash mobs until everything else comes online.
Level it up only if the other options are pentagram and a kick in the balls (kick over pentagram otherwise) and if a chest upgrades garlic w/e, it's just a chest. Evolutions have absolute priority anyways.

Santa Water doesn't have an evolution right now, correct? I'm not really feeling its power, but I think that's because it's the same niche as King James (mid-range area denial absolute terror field) and well, currently the Good Book is simply better at it. What evolution effect would balance things?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Omobono posted:

Santa Water doesn't have an evolution right now, correct? I'm not really feeling its power, but I think that's because it's the same niche as King James (mid-range area denial absolute terror field) and well, currently the Good Book is simply better at it. What evolution effect would balance things?

Santa Water consistently does more damage than any other item in my games.
The build I listed above mentions the passive items that really boost its capabilities. Basically pair it with Empty Tome for Cooldown Reduction, Candelabrador for +AoE range, and Spellbinder for +Duration.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Most fun build is porta with garlic, bible, santa water, birds, axe and the mandatory lightning ring. Just a giant impassable death circle.

Dommario with Runetracer+Thousand Edge is also fun times

GreatGreen posted:

try Vandalier

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vandalier is ridiculous but it's also a primary attack. Santa Water's advantage is it works with basically any combination of skills. You're gonna want at least one out of aoe/cooldown/duration for any build and all of them do wonders for Santa. It's basically 2k free dps.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

The build I listed above mentions the passive items that really boost its capabilities. Basically pair it with Empty Tome for Cooldown Reduction, Candelabrador for +AoE range, and Spellbinder for +Duration.

Yeah, fully upgraded santa water with some complimentary buff items will completely tank your vespers/garlic damage down to zero because literally nothing survives it to reach those other items, even in the last 2 minutes. Santa Water is legitimately the best low-investment item in the game and is amazing from first pick up if you start getting good at dragging enemies through the areas before it just covers the 80% of the screen and you don't need to care anymore.

The prospect of an evolved Santa Water (or rune tracer) is terrifying because they're already so drat good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

Did either of you read the post I was replying to?

no I don't

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, fully upgraded santa water with some complimentary buff items will completely tank your vespers/garlic damage down to zero because literally nothing survives it to reach those other items, even in the last 2 minutes. Santa Water is legitimately the best low-investment item in the game and is amazing from first pick up if you start getting good at dragging enemies through the areas before it just covers the 80% of the screen and you don't need to care anymore.

The prospect of an evolved Santa Water (or rune tracer) is terrifying because they're already so drat good.

Yeah, Santa Water is so good I wonder how you might even improve it with an Evolved version. Maybe instead of dropping waters around you, you just have a constant ring of Santa Water that moves around with you? That'd be cool.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Good Citizen posted:

Santa water feels like it's doing less than my fancy evolved weapons until I check the win screen after 30 minutes and see that it's done 4 million damage. It's probably overpowered but so is everything else, so might as well give it an evolution as well.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

I dunno, I just tried a Dommario run with Santa Water, upgraded Bible, upgraded Axe, and upgraded Fire Wand and I got overwhelmed in the last 2 minutes. Kinda got shafted on my upgrades and was running one bird and invincibility and never got cooldown reduction or attack speed, but it was still fairly good.

Feels like it's kinda lackluster at the end. It did ramp me up in minute 15-20 ridiculously fast though, got maxed out very quickly and got a ton of cash.

I feel like Vandalier is a free win and no other item is quite at the same power level.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

I dunno, I just tried a Dommario run with Santa Water, upgraded Bible, upgraded Axe, and upgraded Fire Wand and I got overwhelmed in the last 2 minutes. Kinda got shafted on my upgrades and was running one bird and invincibility and never got cooldown reduction or attack speed, but it was still fairly good.

Feels like it's kinda lackluster at the end. It did ramp me up in minute 15-20 ridiculously fast though, got maxed out very quickly and got a ton of cash.

I feel like Vandalier is a free win and no other item is quite at the same power level.

Vand is also amazing, it just needs more time to get going. Water can be a full on meat grinder at <10 min and all the buff items that make it stronger are evo fodder for other top tier weapons as well. At this point if I see even the first level of Water as one of my 3 choices I’m just like ‘cool another win for me’

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Just played a round with Vandalier. It's fun but I think it takes too much setup. You really have to decide from the word go that you want a Vandalier build, as I don't think anybody who knows the game is going to just pick one bird and not the other. It should be overpowered for how much investment it takes though.

It looks nuts on the screen as well, but I still think I prefer Santa Water. I just like it more. :buddy:

That said, combining two weapons to make one super weapon is a fun idea.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 4, 2022

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Something else... I realize the game is built around random chance, but I'm not the biggest fan of having to rely on chance for items. I think I'd much rather be able to choose a complete build before the match, and have each level randomize the item/upgrade order instead. I can't be the only person who restarts levels multiple times because I didn't get a single item I wanted in the first couple of levels.

I'd even take an alternate mode that rewards less gold for being able to choose your build up front or whatever. I dunno, I think it would be fun.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 4, 2022

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Evolution spoilers In the public beta: Santa Water is upgraded by Attractorb

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

:syoon:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I wish I hadn't read that.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Santa Water has the same problem as Lightning Ring: it sucks in the early game. One or two bottles will form patches halfway across the screen, which are absolutely no help to you as you get hammered by nine skeletons and thirty bats. But in the late game, Santa Water forms an Impassible Moat of Death.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

Just tried it.

The Santa Water's Evolution behavior is that each individual pool slowly moves toward the player. On one hand, the water mimics the same behavior as enemies, always moving towards the player, which means theoretically more damage per pool. HOWEVER, it also lets enemies pile up waaay closer to you right at the end because as the pools move inward towards you while you're standing still, there's no more protective layer outside the Bible area keeping enemies back.

Not sure I like it.

I think it would have been better if the standard Santa Water sized ring simply stayed in place relative to the character, like the Bible does, but with an effective area just outside Bible range.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

withak posted:

Yeah it removes all of the enemies on the screen, and leaves you none of their xp or loot.

This changes when you upgrade it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sebmojo posted:

This changes when you upgrade it.

Not fully, no? You can still lose a chest due to it at max level.