Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

OK, I'm not afraid of looking dumb. After you point and laugh at me, please tell me what these are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

knuthgrush posted:

OK, I'm not afraid of looking dumb. After you point and laugh at me, please tell me what these are.

They're knitted versions of a cylinder of Cobalt-60, drop & run is the best advice if you find one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLgNl03g93U

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Coolnezzz posted:

They're knitted versions of a cylinder of Cobalt-60, drop & run is the best advice if you find one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLgNl03g93U

Ah so it'll make you grow a third butthole or something?

Also off topic: is Ram the same as the Ram Trilogy? Logo looks similar but I've not paid attention to dnb in almost 20 years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

knuthgrush posted:

Those are the markings found on on radioactive sources for industrial and medical use.

If you read those markings, and you don’t know drat well what you’re doing as part of your job, you should do what they say.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

knuthgrush posted:

Also off topic: is Ram the same as the Ram Trilogy? Logo looks similar but I've not paid attention to dnb in almost 20 years.

Mostly just melt from the inside

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Acute radiation sickness is one of the worst ways possible to die.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

knuthgrush posted:

Keep it close to your body long enough and it'll make new holes wherever you want

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

knuthgrush posted:

Here's an incident where a bunch of dudes found a weird warm metal cylinder in the woods, makes for a great sleeping bag stuffer don't you know? :nws::nms:https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1660web-81061875.pdf

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Is that the stuff from that Eastern European case report where the guys used the radioactive source as heat overnight and one of them lived for like three years with no flesh on his back?

edit: no, that was "90Sr radioisotope sources with an
activity of 1295 TBq"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...xAq0RXMlAYKIAd1

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 6, 2022

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Hollismason posted:

It took me a bit to figure this video out.

Did it make sense to you in the end?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
edit: never mind, missed my shot

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

looks like a cute catnip holder

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

knuthgrush posted:

Some people have covered this, but for those who aren't as aware of how radiation works, the best case scenario when your cells are exposed to radiation is that they kill themselves (if they don't, that's one of the ways you end up with cancer). If you get a whole lot of cells throughout your body exposed to a large dose of radiation at once, you're hosed, as a large portion of your body is now killing itself, and you're not gonna survive for very long.

The only real time you get mutations is in the form of birth defects, and that's when the cells that are responsible for reproduction suffer minor damage to their DNA and don't self-destruct.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I was curious so I mathed it out, if you stood about 1 meter from one of those cobolt-60 sources you'd receive a LD50 dose in about 2 minutes.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

yummycheese posted:

on a second watch that looks like a commercial pump for diesel trucks so maybe its not as wild as it looks.

Based on the white jug in the background I’d guess that it’s a DEF pump

Piss pump.

I shot gasoline into my face while filling a customer’s boat can while working in the summer of ‘82. Got distracted & pulled the nozzle clear of the fill opening & the stream, wide open, bounced off of the casing full in both eyes.. My eyes involuntarily squeezed shut; I had to be led to the back-room sink & spent 20-minutes hosing my eyes out & hitting my face & eyes with dish detergent. Kept working. Couldn’t see straight for a few hours. The pain was severe. Somehow, no permanent damage.

Substances I’ve washed up in, 1974-2022:

Gasoline
Alcohol
Acetone
Turpentine
Paint thinner
Benzene
WD-40
Carburetor cleaner (B-12 Chemtool, amongst others)
Bug spray (both killer & repellant)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 6, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dirk the Average posted:

Some people have covered this, but for those who aren't as aware of how radiation works, the best case scenario when your cells are exposed to radiation is that they kill themselves (if they don't, that's one of the ways you end up with cancer). If you get a whole lot of cells throughout your body exposed to a large dose of radiation at once, you're hosed, as a large portion of your body is now killing itself, and you're not gonna survive for very long.

The only real time you get mutations is in the form of birth defects, and that's when the cells that are responsible for reproduction suffer minor damage to their DNA and don't self-destruct.

It's not really that they kill themselves (though a few might, depending on what exactly in the cell the radiation hits). Radiation damage can corrupt DNA to the point where cells can no longer reproduce long before it'll outright kill all the cells.

That's really what acute radiation sickness is - you've had enough of a radiation dose that your body can no longer replace cells, it's running on what cells it had when the event happened. So your body systems just progressively shut down, starting with the ones using short-lived cells that are normally replaced frequently like the gut.

If you go far beyond a fatal dose then yeah, eventually you end up at a point where all your cells just die immediately because of being blasted with high-energy radiation. But at that point you probably have other things to worry about, like the pressure wave from whatever event created all that radiation.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
In the documentary Knuckle, about travellers in the Ireland bare knuckle boxing, one old guy talks about how he used to soak his hands in petrol for twenty minutes a day when training for a fight, to make them hard as stone.

Would that also soak up to your brain for a dizzy time during/after?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
At my last company, I had to set up a small workshop to prototype robotics parts. Our head of facilities hired a safety consultant to come in, who related a story about a company she consulted for where a manager told her offhand "Yeah, the employees at this company have had quite a few miscarriages at this company over the last few years."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

knuthgrush posted:

As far as I can tell yeah, it is. This particular track has always stuck with me due to, well, cobalt-60 and it's effects on the human body as folks here have mentioned.

Strabo4 posted:

Here's an incident where a bunch of dudes found a weird warm metal cylinder in the woods, makes for a great sleeping bag stuffer don't you know? :nws::nms:https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1660web-81061875.pdf

I have not seen the entire report, thanks for the link!

Going to take this opportunity to plug Atomic Accidents by James Mahaffey, an excellent book that goes over most oopsies that have occurred both naturally and as a result of our loving around with things.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

I'm dying. They're short at least another three tiedowns.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Listen man I don't know what the gently caress your problem is, I put boards along the side. Its practically a fuckin dump trailer now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

knuthgrush posted:

Ram is the record label. Ram Trilogy is a group of three producers (one of whom owns the record label).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PainterofCrap posted:

Based on the white jug in the background I’d guess that it’s a DEF pump

Piss pump.

Yeah, I was crossing my fingers that it was just AdBlue or something. From the way it was foaming up, it seems that way.

I really hope a light piss shower is all he got.

No matter what, he should have hit the emergency stop. If that didn't work, you cordon off the area or evacuate the site and call the fire brigade.

yummycheese posted:

gasoline has benzene and a bunch of other carcinogens in it and a pretty big “do not touch” for me.

Which is the reason almost everywhere in the world switched to self serve for refuelling. A small exposure every week or so is much better than eight hours a day, five days a week.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jabor posted:

It's not really that they kill themselves (though a few might, depending on what exactly in the cell the radiation hits). Radiation damage can corrupt DNA to the point where cells can no longer reproduce long before it'll outright kill all the cells.

That's really what acute radiation sickness is - you've had enough of a radiation dose that your body can no longer replace cells, it's running on what cells it had when the event happened. So your body systems just progressively shut down, starting with the ones using short-lived cells that are normally replaced frequently like the gut.

If you go far beyond a fatal dose then yeah, eventually you end up at a point where all your cells just die immediately because of being blasted with high-energy radiation. But at that point you probably have other things to worry about, like the pressure wave from whatever event created all that radiation.

Ionizing radiation damages DNA, but it’s not the reproduction that kills you. DNA is a template for protein synthesis. When it’s damaged, the cell may not be able to make or regulate vital proteins it needs to continue living. Some cells will die very rapidly, causing the immediate first wave of radiation sickness. Others will chug along for a while before dying. This is the second wave of radiation sickness, which hits several days later and generally leads to total organ failure.

A fatal radiation dose is basically being dead but the cells in your body die at different times over the course of a few days.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

knuthgrush posted:

Cobalt 60 rods

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Eeyo posted:

I was curious so I mathed it out, if you stood about 1 meter from one of those cobolt-60 sources you'd receive a LD50 dose in about 2 minutes.

For the 3540Ci source I've got about a minute at 18 inches, which I figure is right about long enough to pick it up, squint at it to read it, process what it says, carry out what it says, and maybe survive.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You guys take all the fun out of the 'walking ghost' syndrome (aka dead man walking)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Bunch of terrible poo poo in this gallery

Oopsie
https://imgur.com/gallery/yzOnl19

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Does gasoline really foam like that? In other videos where gas sprays everywhere it does not look like that. Looks like water for cleaning your windshield to me, but I am obviously no expert.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah those pesky leaking windshield wiper pumps.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Maybe this is one of those pumps I've been hearing about for topping up your gender fluid.

:downsrim:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

a sexual elk posted:

Yeah those pesky leaking windshield wiper pumps.

Where I live we have those.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Uhhh... turn off the underground storage tank pump and then call the fire department to control the spill and report to your state EPA since it's already getting to the drains. this is the worst way of handling this

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

Cobalt 60 rods

Spent time in some shipyards when I was enlisted and seeing that picture I thought maybe a label like that would've saved the dude that picked up a source that was laying on the ground and put in his back pocket. The pictures they showed of the aftermath of that incident were horrifying. Dudes rear end literally fell off.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lamebot posted:

Uhhh... turn off the underground storage tank pump and then call the fire department to control the spill and report to your state EPA since it's already getting to the drains. this is the worst way of handling this
I can think of several much worse ways.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ILL Machina posted:

Bunch of terrible poo poo in this gallery

Oopsie
https://imgur.com/gallery/yzOnl19

Don't miss out on this link, they're all amazing and only one has been posted before.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Slugworth posted:

I can think of several much worse ways.

Light yourself a cigarette to calm your nerves.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Coffee Sludge posted:

Spent time in some shipyards when I was enlisted and seeing that picture I thought maybe a label like that would've saved the dude that picked up a source that was laying on the ground and put in his back pocket. The pictures they showed of the aftermath of that incident were horrifying. Dudes rear end literally fell off.

If you're close enough to read that label you're already hosed if it's Co60. Ir192, with the small rear end sources the navy uses now, you may live. You're gonna be miserable, but probably alive for a given value of the word.

By popular demand posted:

Light yourself a cigarette to calm your nerves.

Pretty sure that's a piss tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Piss is fuelling the cars?!