Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

No. 6 posted:

I will say that I like the animations of humanoids. Much better thought out than other modern games (Back 4 Blood)

Back 4 bloods animation work is profoundly poo poo. Like holy gently caress that game must have had a troubled development to end up in such a state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

A big flaming stink posted:

Back 4 bloods animation work is profoundly poo poo. Like holy gently caress that game must have had a troubled development to end up in such a state

Yes, which is why I feel it's a good contrast.

In Dying Light 2 I saw an NPC painting a wall. First he dipped the brush a couple times, then wiped the excess paint on the lip of the can before performing fluid brushstrokes to the wall for a bit and then repeating.

Another time I hit a zombie and it fell down on its hands and knees. I hit it again in the head and it fell flat onto its face.

Back4Blood... well there are already videos about it.

There is a level of craft in this game which just isn't present in many games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

No. 6 posted:

Yes, which is why I feel it's a good contrast.

In Dying Light 2 I saw an NPC painting a wall. First he dipped the brush a couple times, then wiped the excess paint on the lip of the can before performing fluid brushstrokes to the wall for a bit and then repeating.

Another time I hit a zombie and it fell down on its hands and knees. I hit it again in the head and it fell flat onto its face.

Back4Blood... well there are already videos about it.

There is a level of craft in this game which just isn't present in many games.

they had 7 years to work on it. they took their time.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Rinkles posted:

they had 7 years to work on it. they took their time.

DL2 had 7 years, or B4B? Because if it's the latter then I have no idea what they did with their time.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm getting the VO/subtitle cut out way more often in Central Loop on base PS4 and I have to keep restarting the game, I'd definitely wait for people on the fence and wanting to play this on their old ps4s

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No. 6 posted:

DL2 had 7 years, or B4B? Because if it's the latter then I have no idea what they did with their time.

dl1 came out 7 years ago.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I hear this is supposed to be buggy and have iffy performance on PC, but aside from the opening forest area, I've been really happy with how it performs. Once I got to the city it's been a consistent 60 fps for me. With the exception of some occasional stutters, but DF says they're from shader compilation, and they seem to go away eventually, so that tracks. Running on a 3080 at 4K with DLSS performance, using DF's optimized ray tracing settings with the addition of RT sun shadows.

And my goodness the ray tracing looks amazing when you have all the big hitter features enabled. Just like in Metro Exodus, RT global illumination in particular adds so much photorealism to a sun-lit open world with dynamic time of day. I'm constantly a little giddy over having realistic bounce lighting in every situation. And then sun shadows that blur and diffuse, detailed enough that every blade of tall grass is individually shaded...pretty cool stuff. It's a little surreal to be playing an open world game that looks better than a linear AAA game with baked lighting.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Rinkles posted:

DL1 also had some of the most dedicated post launch support I have ever seen, so that might have cut a bit into dev time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

RPS at least intimated that there was some significant retooling that happened when their narrative lead (who was marketed as a marquee name because... I guess that's a thing you do) publicly self-immolated out of the industry. But really it usually turns out that multi-year developments tend to contain down-to-the-bolts reboots. They probably worked on what's actually in the game over like... 2 years.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Rinkles posted:

GTA 6 has been in development for 20 years

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don’t think the game respects your time enough - and I say this as someone who’s about to write a loving essay on a games forum. I’m not a game reviewer but I am an adult human with a full rear end work week. I haven’t played a game that unfolds this slowly since KOTOR2, which had the advantage of being written fairly well.

I 100% agree with you about the intro, it is way way way too slow giving you other abilities that actually make it a lot better and more fun. However, it does get better after only unlocking a few abilities and the rate of unlocking things starts picking up steam. A lot of your gear will grant bonus exp percentage and when you get comfortable going out at night you'll start unlocking skills at a very decent pace.

A lot of your other complaints are also addressed by moving down the skill tree. You can kill and move faster in stealth with a movement upgrade and stab. A few inhibitors into stamina and you're not falling off of everything. Everything quickly gets faster and more fluid and it kind of snowballs from there.

Anyways I get where you're coming from, for the first few hours I was thinking DL1 was way better and the gating is too long and makes it boring (it is and it does). But push through the bullshit and with only a few points in each tree it got me addicted as hell and it's one of the most fun games I played in years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

RPS at least intimated that there was some significant retooling that happened when their narrative lead (who was marketed as a marquee name because... I guess that's a thing you do) publicly self-immolated out of the industry. But really it usually turns out that multi-year developments tend to contain down-to-the-bolts reboots. They probably worked on what's actually in the game over like... 2 years.

we were discussing the details of their animation work. i think that's the kind of thing that isn't as affected by problems in direction.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I feel like this is the anti-Days Gone for me. With DG I bought it because I bought into the critical consensus and it was one of the worst games I've played, and here I bought it due to the consumer consensus and it is good. Never trust critics, I guess.

The gameplay is a bit janky, but the story isn't that bad, because it's the same "fashies vs MySpace anarchists" story that makes up 70% of zombie media. It's repetitive but passable. The RPG elements are dumb but DL1 also had zombie scaling, it just didn't tell you what the scaling was until a zed ate your face. Howlers are everywhere but so are UV zones so it cancels each other apart. At the start of the game you aren't underpowered to deal with the situations around you, aside from the occasional stamina gate on a windmill.

This game is very similar to DL1 overall, it just actually shows its cards in term of stamina and damage rather than keeping them mystery, and now that people can notice the mechanics more clearly they have more of an issue with them.

That isn't to say that there isn't an issue with level scaling, trying to go into a higher level area is way too hard of a curve. But that's something aside from just the minute to minute gameplay.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
is there an analog to dl1 pvp with zombie vs runner stuff? that was always fun to dip my toe in but it was way too easy to get leveled into the dedicated pvpers that spent way more time practicing the intricacies of combat than i did

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

When's a good time to take a break from the main story and go faffing off on side stuff?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CuddleCryptid posted:

I feel like this is the anti-Days Gone for me. With DG I bought it because I bought into the critical consensus

The critical consensus that has the metascore at 71%, lower than Dying Light 2?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ymgve posted:

The critical consensus that has the metascore at 71%, lower than Dying Light 2?

At the time it was more "oh hey yeah the people say it's bad but the critics were going more 'it's not bad', why not give it a shot" and it sucked

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

When's a good time to take a break from the main story and go faffing off on side stuff?
After the watertower and after getting to the 2ed area.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

CuddleCryptid posted:

At the time it was more "oh hey yeah the people say it's bad but the critics were going more 'it's not bad', why not give it a shot" and it sucked

I remember it completely opposite. Totally panned by critics, but non-critics said "it's a good but flawed game"

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Anyone spending an inordinate amount of time getting really high up airdrops the hard way (no paraglider) just for no reason at all lol

the lack of exp penalty compared to DL1 making do all these self imposed parkour challenges. I like it !

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don’t think the game respects your time enough - and I say this as someone who’s about to write a loving essay on a games forum. I’m not a game reviewer but I am an adult human with a full rear end work week. I haven’t played a game that unfolds this slowly since KOTOR2, which had the advantage of being written fairly well.

That's an entirely fair point.

I was thinking of it in terms of how easy DL2 is to put down and pick back up. You generally have auto-saves in smart places, and dying usually doesn't put you back more than a minute or two. If you have to quit suddenly, you'll usually spawn at the closest safe zone the next time you start the game.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Hwurmp posted:

Kagrenac posted:

After the watertower and after getting to the 2ed area.
This is around where I am and I agree, once you get fast travel unlocked you can farm some areas.
Some youtube I watched said farm some military drops and POI's so you can upgrade that hang glider. It kinda sucks at level 1 (still better than not having it though)

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
if you're like me at all and hate not being able to descend quickly (and precisely) I'd turn off edge assist and auto-grab on fall

saves a lot of frustration ime . You're not gonna miss ledges while falling anyway as long as you hold W inward towards it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigglesSWE posted:

I haven’t gotten very far but I’m not seeing the horrid writing the reviews promised me. The voice acting certainly ain’t too hot a lot of times but…did ya’ll even play the first one?

The last time I was truly impressed with voice acting and writing must’ve been…. Red Dead Redemption 2.

i have never had an issue with bad voice acting in these types of games because not everyone sounds like a rod serling/sorkin/whedon person. like people have weird voices or at bad at talking. now sometimes it truly awful but so far its been fine.

the writing so far is very cliché, like the one villain giving the "when i was a child, i learned a hosed up lesson that i took in the worst possible way and now it turned into my dumbass ideals" type deal but thats better then whatever raz was. that doesn't equal bad to me.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I feel like this is the anti-Days Gone for me. With DG I bought it because I bought into the critical consensus and it was one of the worst games I've played, and here I bought it due to the consumer consensus and it is good. Never trust critics, I guess.

The gameplay is a bit janky, but the story isn't that bad, because it's the same "fashies vs MySpace anarchists" story that makes up 70% of zombie media. It's repetitive but passable. The RPG elements are dumb but DL1 also had zombie scaling, it just didn't tell you what the scaling was until a zed ate your face. Howlers are everywhere but so are UV zones so it cancels each other apart. At the start of the game you aren't underpowered to deal with the situations around you, aside from the occasional stamina gate on a windmill.

This game is very similar to DL1 overall, it just actually shows its cards in term of stamina and damage rather than keeping them mystery, and now that people can notice the mechanics more clearly they have more of an issue with them.

That isn't to say that there isn't an issue with level scaling, trying to go into a higher level area is way too hard of a curve. But that's something aside from just the minute to minute gameplay.

this. its way way more fun then days gone so far and i am mostly enjoying my dumb fights and loving around in the open world. also aiden or whatever isnt an amazing protag but he is more fun/empathetic then deacon who has some cool ideas but is just a mumbling drifter.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

every time

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

once you get the glider

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Every time I try to accept a request for help, it doesnt seem to respond. Anyone have this issue they were able to resolve?

I think co-op would be great for doing the encounters and loot hunting.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DL1 was a hosed up grindhouse 7/10 game that nailed what it was aiming for, and got a lot of goodwill through extensive support. DL2 is the same, but more.

i like how they've tweaked some annoying things like having all those sports bags with $2 in them (now they normally have some craft loot) and having loads of lovely chests with locks (locked chests are less common, and have decent loot) and giving you infinite sprint. Also I feel like you're a bit more competent out of the gate, stamina limits aside.

ChocNitty posted:

Every time I try to accept a request for help, it doesnt seem to respond. Anyone have this issue they were able to resolve?

I think co-op would be great for doing the encounters and loot hunting.

no, i've tried a couple of times. techland.gg was down, I suspect they're having network issues.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Having a blast so far and have experienced very little bugs. The only big bug I'm dealing with, and it's a huge pain in the rear end, is the survivor sense no triggering. Sometimes I'll push it 50 times and it not work once. Googling shows it's not my controller, so hopefully they fix this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

You can repair your rarer weapons by remodding them.

As far as I can tell you can't remod. Once a mod is installed in a slot that's it.

Dark Hollows, Convoys etc don't get marked off on my map once I loot them. Do they 'refill', or do I need to remember which ones I've done?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

There's a secret blueprint in the game for a craftable finger gun.

https://i.imgur.com/7vTM8ZM.mp4

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ihatepants posted:

POW! HAHA!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Dark Hollows, Convoys etc don't get marked off on my map once I loot them. Do they 'refill', or do I need to remember which ones I've done?

As far as I can tell, they refill, since it's just a bunch of drops and chests in a small, dangerous place.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wanderer posted:

As far as I can tell, they refill, since it's just a bunch of drops and chests in a small, dangerous place.

this raises questions about zombie culture, are they living their own lives in there like I Am Legend?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I wish the map tagged where there are injectors nearby. I go somewhere and it suddenly says there are some nearby, but it's daytime and I think I'll just do it at night, then forget all about where I heard it.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ihatepants posted:

Gunna need to know how to get that immediately, please.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I got the bug with the fast travel station in the 2nd big area disappearing when you fast travel to the first zone. Really really bad one, have honestly no idea how that got through testing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

smoobles posted:

this raises questions about zombie culture, are they living their own lives in there like I Am Legend?

Yes, but they're also hoarders, so it's really not that much of a life.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The Lone Badger posted:

As far as I can tell you can't remod. Once a mod is installed in a slot that's it.

Let me do it once. Maybe a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Started playing yesterday afternoon and already have 16 hours playtime lol. Games good. Performance at 3440x1440 with my trusty 1080ti is excellent using pretty much the exact digital foundry mid range recommendations. Game looks really nice most of the time too. I haven't encountered any bugs really either.

There are definitely better things and worse things compared to the first game but it's going to take some more time to really nail them down. Still, regardless I'm having a blast. Game definitely properly opens up once you've got the paraglider and you've reached the central loop.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 6, 2022