Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A big huge thank you for adding in the save video feature. My wife definitely appreciates all of the cat videos I have been able to send her now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Diabolik900 posted:

It’s been a while since I used my iPad with a keyboard, but I believe holding down the CMD key should show a list of keyboard commands. This is an OS feature so it should work across apps.

Serendipity, I have a little Bluetooth keyboard hooked up to my 1st gen 12.9 iPad - holding the 'command' key does indeed pop up a tooltip

But the 'up / down' arrow key shortcuts don't scroll the page. The 'jump to top / bottom' keys work, and the 'next / prev page' shortcuts as well. Space bar will page down, but there's no easy way to scroll back up without screen-touching.

Would also be nice to catch 'Spacebar at bottom of page > new page'

Edit: weirdest thing, i just edited this post to add the screencap and when i saved it, the arrow up/down scrolling worked for the first time ever, but refreshing the page and its gone again. Some Gremlin poo poo happening in here :o:

Edit edit: yep, edit and save a page and arrow key scrolling works again.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 17, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Serendipity, I have a little Bluetooth keyboard hooked up to my 1st gen 12.9 iPad - holding the 'command' key does indeed pop up a tooltip

…amazingly, now it works for me, but I sure as gently caress did not get a tooltip last time I tried this.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Would it be possible to add the ability to word search the page/view you're currently looking at? Like being able to control-F in a browser. I was thinking mostly about using it to search thread pages, but I suppose it'd also be cool to use of you're looking for a specific thread in a long list of threads.

If this is already possible, just let me know...I tried poking around but couldn't figure anything like that out.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hi all, enjoying the app, but: does there exist a setting to make quoted text the same size as all other text? On a mini and with aging eyes I have normal text at the size I like, but that means quotes are hard to read. If not, I'd love to have that feature (and might yet try to contribute it myself, but not set up for ios dev atm).

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

as far as i can tell there's no way to expand images in the leper's colony or zoom in on them, and they seem to be rendered not at full resolution anyway, so when, for example, a permabanned user's incriminating posts are in a screenshot in their banning entry, you can't read them in the app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

YouTube has screwed around with the video embeds again in such a way that a long press > Open In YouTube results in the video just opening in safari. Probs something they need to fix but just a heads up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Warbird posted:

YouTube has screwed around with the video embeds again in such a way that a long press > Open In YouTube results in the video just opening in safari. Probs something they need to fix but just a heads up.

It still seems to be working for me, but I don't doubt you, this has been troublesome in the past.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Can I turn off youtube embeds on iOS?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
When you post is there any way to get it to load the whole page of that thread instead of just showing your post on its own?

And turn off hiding read posts when you load a thread. That's bad, why is that the default

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 21, 2022

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Hi all, enjoying the app, but: does there exist a setting to make quoted text the same size as all other text? On a mini and with aging eyes I have normal text at the size I like, but that means quotes are hard to read. If not, I'd love to have that feature (and might yet try to contribute it myself, but not set up for ios dev atm).

Second this.

Also quoted images are very tiny and it seems like the only possible interaction is long press then display image and zoom. Is that right, or can you expand them within the thread view?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Is there any way to search the smilies? All I see is the complete list and a favorites section, I don't see how to bring up the filter menu

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Vim Fuego posted:

And turn off hiding read posts when you load a thread. That's bad, why is that the default

I wish this was an option, I forget if this has come up before.

I'm pretty sure everything else you brought up is on the list somewhere so it'll get +1'd

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The thing with the minutia of Awful is when you start to split these hairs you can easily get 5 users that love one way and 5 that hate the other. Initially the idea was "make a SA app as if Apple did", and we all know Apple's reputation for customization.

Not to say any of that above is invalid (though personally, don't' want any of that), but that a reorganization and content strategy for settings could be valuable so we A) Don't make changes just because they were the latest/loudest feedback, and B) Not have a settings page that initially hits you with 100 toggles when you go there.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i think not hiding read posts is worth adding a toggle for. the app is capable of jumping to a specific post down the list when you follow a link so that would be fine alternative behavior.

Vim Fuego posted:

When you post is there any way to get it to load the whole page of that thread instead of just showing your post on its own?

in both cases you can pull down a little and then hit "previous posts" at the top.... or you could, except that menu doesn't appear most of the time you first load a page and will only show up if you pull up to reload. (<- bug re-report.)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If we're wishing on Options toggles; I have wanted to visit the Lepers colony less than a handful of times in my entire SA life - I would love an option to swap the sidebar Lepers button to 'My Posts' that just does a simple search on your username and lists your last 20 posts, so you can get back to where you left off last.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

b_d posted:

i think not hiding read posts is worth adding a toggle for. the app is capable of jumping to a specific post down the list when you follow a link so that would be fine alternative behavior.

until we have a good way to stay scrolled to the target post even with late-loading media in earlier posts on the page, I don’t think the non-hidden experience would be enjoyable for anyone

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It would be similar to navigating to a quoted post, every page load would be a little spazzy. Nailing down the visibility of the sub menu would probably be a better method.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

until we have a good way to stay scrolled to the target post even with late-loading media in earlier posts on the page, I don’t think the non-hidden experience would be enjoyable for anyone

I don't mean to be doing android vs apple comparisons/arguments here and that's not my goal but Awful.apk does that pretty well - is there a fundamental difference with how that works vs with how Awful.app renders a page?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shortspecialbus posted:

I don't mean to be doing android vs apple comparisons/arguments here and that's not my goal but Awful.apk does that pretty well - is there a fundamental difference with how that works vs with how Awful.app renders a page?

Different webviews at the least, so I’m not surprised that they have different behaviours.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

shortspecialbus posted:

This doesn't speak to how it's made but in terms of behavior the android version just jumps around a lot when content loads late

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Vim Fuego posted:

This doesn't speak to how it's made but in terms of behavior the android version just jumps around a lot when content loads late

I haven't seen that but I also don't load animated gif/twitter threads. It seems to handle the comic strip thread well enough on the occasion that I read that thread on my phone.

Either way I feel it could jump back when done loading like the web page seems to do on a browser.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

shortspecialbus posted:

I haven't seen that but I also don't load animated gif/twitter threads. It seems to handle the comic strip thread well enough on the occasion that I read that thread on my phone.

Either way I feel it could jump back when done loading like the web page seems to do on a browser.

We do that too. It's not that simple. Tweets especially aren't even part of the page load, and we're completely at the mercy of the embed script as to whether it will actually tell us correctly when all the tweets have finished loading (it actually doesn't do that, it tries to tell us when each individual tweet loads and we just have to try to restore our position every time.) We also have to consider what happens when a variety of events occur during the tweet load and figure out whether the user wants us to keep trying to restore the position or give up and just let things scroll.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
It's a fitting punishment for reading threads with lots of twitter embeds

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Reading this page causes everything to get tiny on my iPad. It persists as I change pages. I have to change threads to reset the formatting. I assume it has to do with the long code block.

Edit: issue doesn’t occur on my iPhone

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 28, 2022

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

kode54 posted:

Got a lovely bug for you! Maybe I can even help you debug it, since I’ve got the full build environment set up and building and launching into the debugger!

Basically, the longpress/context menu on the post composer is broken when running Awful on an M1 Mac. Right clicking on the post body causes the whole app to crash due to an uncaught exception falling completely out of the main application loop. I can’t seem to figure out where to put the breakpoint to make it actually break on something when the right click actually happens.

The exception backtrace that gets thrown shows that it’s falling into the menu builder, and a NSDictionary is getting assigned a key of “title” with a value of nil. A hint that someone popped onto a topic I found somewhere suggested maybe the CFBundleName is nil, or some other Info.plist attribute.

Do let me know if there’s anything I can actually do to try debugging this myself, as I have the requisite hardware.

If it’s specific to a given topic, the topic I was attempting to invoke the context menu in a reply to was the most recent post a music topic in BYOB.

The exception backtrace in the issue on GitHub (thanks for opening that, by the way!) doesn't seem to include any of Awful's code. There's a few things we do with the menu and I could see any of them causing problems, so I'd probably turn them all off and see if it still crashes. If that works, then I'd turn them back on one at a time until I find the crasher.

Things we do with menus:

• Add a bunch of items. Maybe one or more of our items do bad things, so I'd temporarily stop adding any of them to see if that helps.
• Some kind of block-based swizzly thing called PSMenuItem. Near the top of CompositionMenuTree is where that's configured, so try commenting that out and re-run.
• Observe UIMenuController.didHideMenuNotification and do stuff. Try not doing that and see if that changes anything.

atriptothebeach posted:

how do i use my signature? Ive never figured out how to post it with this app and it’s frustrating. I cant like find any buttons or toggles to let me do so, nothings like under ‘posting’ in settings and nothing appears when I tap on my textbox or when I try to hold down ‘preview’ or ‘post.’

The app sometimes supports letting us post our signatures but it like seems like it just forbids us from using them outside of like two subforums. Is there any way Im missing for me to do so in like d&d and gbs without like using safari instead?

If there isnt yet a way can you please let us do so?

Awful currently just uses whatever the default is on the "post reply" form. I think some (sub)forums enable them by default, but most don't, so that's why you're seeing the mixed behaviour.

Accessing that checkbox from Awful's reply screen is on the list!

MarcusSA posted:

Second and this is a really weird one that no one has probably come across yet but! If you are using an iPad in portrait mode and you have YouTube open and then do a side by side with the awful app in bookmarks view both apps grind down to about 20fps. If you go into a post from your bookmarks everything smooths back out. This happens on both my iPad Pro gen 3 and my iPad Pro M1 so its not a cpu issue from what I can tell.

To further make the issue weird I just tried to screen record the issue on my M1 and magically the issue went away! I turned off the screen record and the issue came right back.

I’m going to see about getting a lovely cell phone video of it because clearly I can’t just record the screen lol.

Its a really weird issue that I’m sure no one else has come across.

Woah, yeah it's clear as day on your video. No idea what's up with that but I'll add it to the list.

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m sure this has been pointed out already but the smilies are animating at like 2x in the browser lol

They are fine when you post them but it’s a little funny seeing them like this.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/905599084000329751/918261680234967081/RPReplay_Final1639001025.mp4

Looks great! Guessing this is something to do with 120Hz and/or adaptive refresh rate displays. I'll add it to the list.

Quackles posted:

I use the frog. :getin: Frog best icon.

Enderzero posted:

I also would like a search bar of some sort, or at least to have working favorites, so I'm downloading xcode now. That said, I see that it requires extra setup - can I set up App Groups with a free dev account or is that only for paid?

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like it'd be a paid feature. The picker you get when tapping the :-) button is the exact same view, so that might let you muck around some. Though anything requiring persistence (favourites, recents, adding new smilies) probably won't work. Might not be too much work to add a "I don't have App Groups" option in code, which would be nice even for people with paid dev accounts because you can just clone and have it mostly work.

Midjack posted:

Almost certainly this; when a forum is closed and hidden the forum view in the app gets confused. I think you can log out and log back in or clear data or something and it will reload the forum list.

Didn't have this one on the list (or I suck at searching), it's there now!

ulmont posted:

Ive been spending a lot more time with a keyboard hooked up to my iPad; are there any keyboard shortcuts in the app (like scrolling)?

There's some when you're in a thread. I don't think there's much beyond that.

Shnakepup posted:

Would it be possible to add the ability to word search the page/view you're currently looking at? Like being able to control-F in a browser. I was thinking mostly about using it to search thread pages, but I suppose it'd also be cool to use of you're looking for a specific thread in a long list of threads.

If this is already possible, just let me know...I tried poking around but couldn't figure anything like that out.

You're not missing anything, it's on the list but not yet implemented.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

That's not a thing yet but it's a very reasonable request. On the list it goes!

Vim Fuego posted:

Can I turn off youtube embeds on iOS?

There's a setting on the Forums proper to do that, but Awful doesn't have its own setting. It's on the list though!

Vim Fuego posted:

It should be hiding read posts when you come back to the page. I'm guessing that's what happened when it seemed like it was only showing your post.

I'll +1 it on the list though. It's one of those things that I never care for and I appreciate not having the page jump around as stuff loads in, which is basically Not A Problem when you hide read posts. But it makes sense to me why people want it.

Vim Fuego posted:

Second this.

Also quoted images are very tiny and it seems like the only possible interaction is long press then display image and zoom. Is that right, or can you expand them within the thread view?

I think that's right, but it'd be nice to expand in the thread view too.

Vim Fuego posted:

Is there any way to search the smilies? All I see is the complete list and a favorites section, I don't see how to bring up the filter menu

No. It's also available as a custom keyboard, and my excuse for not adding search sooner is that I didn't want to implement a proper keyboard to type in search queries. It'd be a fun project though.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If we're wishing on Options toggles; I have wanted to visit the Lepers colony less than a handful of times in my entire SA life - I would love an option to swap the sidebar Lepers button to 'My Posts' that just does a simple search on your username and lists your last 20 posts, so you can get back to where you left off last.

This idea has never occurred to me and I like it. On the list it goes.

Shofixti posted:

Reading this page causes everything to get tiny on my iPad. It persists as I change pages. I have to change threads to reset the formatting. I assume it has to do with the long code block.

Edit: issue doesn’t occur on my iPhone

I just noticed this too! Guessing it's an iOS 15.3 thing (I just updated) and maybe iPad-specific. Will take a look.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so I have an intermittent issue for a while where embedded youtubes will play the first 5 to 10 seconds and then refuse to load/buffer the rest of the video. Is this something on my end?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If you try visiting the page in Safari on the device, does it still happen?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

nope, the whole video plays if I go through safari. also this is on the iPad in case that’s relevant

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so I have an intermittent issue for a while where embedded youtubes will play the first 5 to 10 seconds and then refuse to load/buffer the rest of the video. Is this something on my end?

Yeah I get this on my iPad but haven’t seen it on my phone install. Been going on for a while but haven’t said anything because I figured it was a YouTube issue.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Same thing here. My guess is that it's on youtube's end, either related to ad loading or just its buffering system.

However, I've also found that I have no way to open the embedded video in a browser/youtube app. I've tried pressing and long-pressing various elements such as the title, but nothing happens.

NFX fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 31, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yeah I think it’s related to youtube’s stupid banner ads because a video that didn’t have one because it was under a minute played fine

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Can confirm I've seen that as well for quite some time now, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Ok that definitely narrows it down, thanks everyone. Probably started happening after a change YouTube made to their embeds. We'll see if we can do anything.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It only happens on my iPad though as the videos are played inline where as on the phone they go to full screen

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

NFX posted:

Same thing here. My guess is that it's on youtube's end, either related to ad loading or just its buffering system.

However, I've also found that I have no way to open the embedded video in a browser/youtube app. I've tried pressing and long-pressing various elements such as the title, but nothing happens.

As a phone haver with this issue, I found the method to open in the app. Click play to load it, then pause so its not fullscreen. then tap and hold on the YouTube icon that is on the lower bar for a moment. Once you let go it should open a context menu that has an option for Open in YouTube. It’s very dumb but it works for me on latest app/iOS, etc.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

PirateDentist posted:

As a phone haver with this issue, I found the method to open in the app. Click play to load it, then pause so its not fullscreen. then tap and hold on the YouTube icon that is on the lower bar for a moment. Once you let go it should open a context menu that has an option for Open in YouTube. It’s very dumb but it works for me on latest app/iOS, etc.

It's a different embed on the tablets, where fullscreen isn't even enabled (which is usually why I'd want to open the video in the app instead). Speaking of, is the fullscreen button disabled on purpose? The full-screen setting is default enabled according to https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters (fs=1), but I have no idea if the embed is controlled by the app, the forums, youtube, or some other code.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

NFX posted:

It's a different embed on the tablets, where fullscreen isn't even enabled (which is usually why I'd want to open the video in the app instead). Speaking of, is the fullscreen button disabled on purpose? The full-screen setting is default enabled according to https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters (fs=1), but I have no idea if the embed is controlled by the app, the forums, youtube, or some other code.

I brought this up a while back:

shortspecialbus posted:

Potentially related to the above YouTube issues, embedded videos have the "full screen" button greyed out. Additionally, the "YouTube" thing in the bottom right that you can usually click to open the video in the YouTube app doesn't do anything except pause the video - it doesn't actually open the app at all, much less open the video in the app.

2021 iPad Pro 12.9", App Store version Awful 5.7 apparently.

There was some discussion on it and it seems to have to do with how the video was posted, as an embed vs a link. There may have been some potential workaround for it but I'm not sure how that all hashed out.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Another minor request: would it be possible to have a "Last Page" jump feature? Like, when you tap the Page number at the bottom of a thread and you get that little nav pop-up? For me, jumping to the last post in a thread never seemed particularly useful, because usually I prefer to see the last couple posts (or couple dozen) in a thread for context. I rarely use "Last Post" for it's actual, intended use...instead I either tap Last Post then immediately tap the top of the screen to scroll to the top on the page, or I just manually select the last page of the thread.

I'm suggesting "Last Page" because that seems like the easiest thing to implement, but if I'm being honest, I'd rather have something more granular like "Last 25 posts" (for those times when the last page only has like 2 posts so I end up jumping back a page anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

That’s always seemed strange to me too. The long press menu on a thread or bookmark has a last page button in case you didn’t know about that, so you could do what you want that way.

It’s odd that there are 2 different but similar commands like that in different places though.