Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

buglord posted:

Did I accidentally side with the PK by working with them to get the brass knuckles? They recently checked up on me after I met at a rooftop camp with after I regrettably had to save this one incredibly obnoxious guy who simultaneously has a defiance disorder and is shadow the hedgehog with his edge.

no, but youre like a main mission away from being given the choice, the game doesnt make it very subtle when it happens

edit: unrelated but are the bus based survivor camps outside of the map grid a one time use thing or did my game bug? i resumed playing and woke up there but i couldnt interact with anything except the safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
thanks! your avatar makes me feel physically ill btw, cheers

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

0 rows returned posted:

no, but youre like a main mission away from being given the choice, the game doesnt make it very subtle when it happens

I tried to side with the PKs and Aitor but the game forced me to believe Sophie and Barney's story about the skin, and do a whole rear end terrorist attack with them. Lame but hoping to reach the city center soon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

redreader posted:

Question: I got to the second area, was suddenly holding a bow, and now I can craft arrows after buying the schematics but I don't seem to have a bow any more. Anyone know about that? About to go to the fish eye after turning on a power substation

Bows are a Weapon like any other. Did you accidentally sell it?
You can find or buy another one, though they are not common.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

buglord posted:

thanks! your avatar makes me feel physically ill btw, cheers

welcome 2 everdraed

has there always been a distance counter on the gre key thing? down in the bottom left? presume it shows you the distance to inhibitor chests, which is funny because i haven't noticed it for 25 hours lol

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

it shows up when youre within 50 m of them

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

buglord posted:

I hope the Peacekeepers have some better reason for joining them or at least make me consider joining them because a lot of what I see are apocahighschool dropouts who want power. Also their dialogue is mad cringe so I won’t be hanging around them much.

I sided with the peacekeepers in Old Vallidor because I didn't wanna be on the same team as Barney.

I don't regret it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having a ton of fun so far. It seems they took the formula of the first game and greatly improved upon almost every single aspect of it.

My only complaint is that movement feels a bit... off. People have described it as "soft" but I think it's just some kind of inertia mechanic that kicks in when changing direction during movement. The result is a vague sense of decrease in responsiveness to controls.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat the second map is significantly larger in scale, and I'm not sure how I feel about it right now. I kinda hate the paraglider because running around a building to find an updraft so you can paraglide up to the part where you can start climbing stinks. I think I just need to spend more time figuring out the mechanics of the glider.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also stick a couple of circuitboards into it, it helps a lot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat the game, enjoyed it alot honestly. Will definitely keep an eye out for the DLC if it's any good.

Ending stuff: I got what is probably the 'best' ending. City is saved, Lawan and Aiden walk off into the sunset together. The final leg of the game was pretty good but the final battle was way too long. I did enjoy the final phase letting you jump 20 feet in the air in zombie mode to chase Waltz though. Laughed that they name drop the game and the subtitle in the conversation prior to it as well.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Are immunity boosting items common? I went through the first GRE building and it was a constant back and forth of fighting zombies, then running back up the ladders to the UV then back to kill more zombies like a dozen times. I always horde items in games like this so I hate this loving timer.

And another thing, I waited until night to do the building because it said there were hordes of zombies during the day. When I got there at night? Still hordes of zombies. I went through all of my weapons. Wonderful.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Books On Tape posted:

Are immunity boosting items common? I went through the first GRE building and it was a constant back and forth of fighting zombies, then running back up the ladders to the UV then back to kill more zombies like a dozen times. I always horde items in games like this so I hate this loving timer.

And another thing, I waited until night to do the building because it said there were hordes of zombies during the day. When I got there at night? Still hordes of zombies. I went through all of my weapons. Wonderful.

If you go during the day there's even more and sometimes the super zombies that'll one shot you especially early game. And yeah I had stacks of 30 of the best one for most of the game. Each floor of those GRE buildings has a second room filled with chemicals and a chest that has a guaranteed epic quality immunity booster in it too so you can usually just make due with those.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

if you are on steam add this to launch options to save a lot of time getting in
code:
-nologos

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shrooms are very common in rooftop gardens, and you can make immunity boosters out of them to make them more efficient.
Plot-mission buildings also often have shrooms to keep you going.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Books On Tape posted:

i saw what came up the first staircase in the GRE building then ran away lol

i think those dark zones are optional hardmode, so if you're doing them early they'll be a challenge.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

By the mid game you hit the point too where you have like 7-8 minutes of timer that it basically stops being an issue all together. I never even had to take any boosters by the end.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also remember that just bypassing zombies is always an option. Be fleet.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Books On Tape posted:

I experienced this too. I expected it to act more like the nests in the first game, where there were still stragglers but the majority of virals were out hunting. (I also loved in the first game if you hung around the nests and dawn/dusk you'd actually see the population stream into or out of the nest.)

Playing a bit longer it seems that the weak pissant zombies are always in there, but the more aggressive types are not. Game could do a better job of making this obvious, since I have about the same success rate clearing them out either day or night. I also never stuck around for the time change to see if the zombies actually migrate into/out of dark areas or not.

I do miss from DL1 the ominous look at the beeping watch and the ensuing panic that you only have a couple minutes to find a safe zone. Time of day was practically its own character in the first game, a lurking background presence that made the red sky and shadows of sunset tangibly affect your mood. In this one I don't really think about what time it is.

I'd like them to move the howlers around a bit too. At night you can count on one crouching every few feet, with one of them always at the entrance to a nighttime loot area. And the best way to cope with them seems to always be a stealth kill.

In the new game I really like how many dangerous and rewarding dark areas are scattered around the map that are NOT shown as an icon on the map as a "place of interest." It makes exploration really worthwhile. In fact I think DL2 runs circles around the first game with regard to just how many places there really are to see - it's almost mind-boggling. I'm very happy about that. The "visit icons on map" style of games has always left me flat because in most of those once you visit all the ? you know you've basically finished the game. In this one I know I have hundreds of hours ahead of me checking poo poo out. Faffing about the map just exploring is my favorite approach, it's where 95% of my playtime was in the first game, and this one just has so much more of it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Has anyone noticed if the spikes work or not? In the first game you could kick zombies into spikes and it was a nice meaty crunch. So far I've kicked many into things that looked like spikes, but they don't seem to do damage. Is it a bug or anomaly etc?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

also the only real threat at night is the howlers - steer well clear of them, it's very hard to kill them before they howl (maybe a throwing spear will do it)

If you tag a howler with a throwing knife, it cancels their howl, and then you can close on and beat them to death quick enough that they can’t yowl again. This is with only one or two knife upgrades, base level might be sufficient.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

Has anyone noticed if the spikes work or not? In the first game you could kick zombies into spikes and it was a nice meaty crunch. So far I've kicked many into things that looked like spikes, but they don't seem to do damage. Is it a bug or anomaly etc?

In my experience they basically just fall over dead from touching it but don't have any sort of actual impaled animation this time around. It's doubly funny when it's a human enemy that dodges back and barely grazes it and falls over dead instantly.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
The spikes were insanely fun the first game. They were also incredibly useful since they let you kill stuff without using weapon durability.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In my experience they basically just fall over dead from touching it but don't have any sort of actual impaled animation this time around. It's doubly funny when it's a human enemy that dodges back and barely grazes it and falls over dead instantly.

Cool - I gotta fight more guys near spikes. And cliffs. And bridges. Badass guys talking poo poo 2 seconds before taking a terminal tumble entertains me to no end.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The spikes were insanely fun the first game. They were also incredibly useful since they let you kill stuff without using weapon durability.

I remember a few areas in the first game where there were electrical traps near enormous hordes, and I used to try to get as many in the killzone as possible before pulling the switch, it took me 5 times as long to loot them all as it took to kill them. I'm not that far into this one yet but environmental kills are the poo poo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You have to lick boot to get the traps in this one.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So no input on the bow? Was I supposed to get it or not at the start of the second area? I had it briefly, but don't see it in my inventory and can't equip it, but I was holding one for about a minute as I got into the second area. Nobody said anything about it so it was weird that I suddenly had it. Do I unlock it later?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

redreader posted:

So no input on the bow? Was I supposed to get it or not at the start of the second area? I had it briefly, but don't see it in my inventory and can't equip it, but I was holding one for about a minute as I got into the second area. Nobody said anything about it so it was weird that I suddenly had it. Do I unlock it later?

You get a free bow from completing the mission that lets you into the central area.
It's folded in among your melee weapons, so check there. You may also have accidentally dropped/sold it.
You can buy or find more and better bows, though they are not common.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ah gat sumthin phor yew ya peese a sheeeyiiit

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

sebmojo posted:

i saw what came up the first staircase in the GRE building then ran away lol

i think those dark zones are optional hardmode, so if you're doing them early they'll be a challenge.

That’s what I thought too but then I look at the skill tree and the huge HP/Stamina requirements a lot of early skills have, it makes me think I need to be doing these.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't been able to find any inhibitors after the initial hospital that you visit with Hakon. I always get the "inhibitor nearby" warning, but it always seems out of reach - and I can't get the parkour skills that I think I need because my stamina isn't high enough.

I guess I'll look for some low-hanging fruit in the areas around the bazaar.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Awesome, I had the game freak out when a ~story choice~ popped up. Had to kill the game via task manager but it still managed to autosave past the choice and now I can't go back to even see what it was! :V Can't wait for this to happen again during your *500 hour* content game.
This game has no excuse for not having manual saves.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caidin posted:

I sided with the peacekeepers in Old Vallidor because I didn't wanna be on the same team as Barney.

I don't regret it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I haven't been able to find any inhibitors after the initial hospital that you visit with Hakon. I always get the "inhibitor nearby" warning, but it always seems out of reach - and I can't get the parkour skills that I think I need because my stamina isn't high enough.

I guess I'll look for some low-hanging fruit in the areas around the bazaar.

Main quests give you a bunch.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah I'm feeling very mixed on the game. There are some big improvements over 1 but also many steps backwards. The lack of traps being tied to ~faction~ choices really sucks, I also noticed you get zero exp from setting off car traps and killing zombies with them.

The zombie density during the day is so low they might as well not exist. Nights aren't really scary at all anymore either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

The zombie density during the day is so low they might as well not exist. Nights aren't really scary at all anymore either.

I like the game a lot but 100%. The first one felt 10 times more dangerous when just roaming around. It's weird cause I saw reviews talking about how it's a game of "the floor is lava" but it feels more like the floor is just a floor.

In other news, of all the twists I could have guessed, Aiden befriending a magical backpack wasn't one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdsR-92K-r4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Books On Tape posted:

That’s what I thought too but then I look at the skill tree and the huge HP/Stamina requirements a lot of early skills have, it makes me think I need to be doing these.

You get a bunch from story missions, and remember that's the progression for the entire game. If you feel like you are bashing your head against a wall, follow the main path for a bit.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the bow reply. I definitely didn't drop it but I checked my inventory and I don't see it, so, yeah. I'll look up how to get the better one, then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the story missions give you so much XP and inhibitors. I just got into the second city and have about 40% of the abilities and I think 6 or 7 inhibitor upgrades not to mention the parachute and bow . I plan on loving around with side stuff for a good while now.

Side stuff is what nets you most of the cool weapons though. The main story will throw you a cool one here and there, but a lot of the side stuff will have you walking out with a bunch of blues and purples that you can mod the hell out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Vendors will have the best weapons, no need to wait for random loot drops. No idea about exotics yet, but until then vendors sell gold weapons and equipment very early on and comparibly cheap too.