Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cat Face Joe posted:

why is "tells jokes" always a selling point of this "ai" garbage

its bc they want maid cafes but without that pesky consent thing getting in the way of their harassment

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

unironically agree, all computers need to stfu

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

rotor posted:

I don't think it was ironic in the first place.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

rotor posted:

turn off your monitor

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://apnews.com/9c6528c11ad5ae3fae368ae26790ae56

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

who forgot to tell me Ohio was hosting the Winter Olympics?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

turn off your monitor

i wish i could

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if i could, i would turn everyones monitor off, forever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

Freeski big air opened its Olympic competition Monday at the world’s first permanent, city-based big air facility, a repurposed steel mill on the west side of Beijing that’s made a stunning backdrop for one of the Games’ newest sports. Freeskiing is taking on big air for the first time as a Winter Games discipline, while the snowboarders will be here next week after debuting the event in Pyeongchang four years ago.

The 200-foot big air structure was built on the site of the former Shougang Group steel mill, China’s first state-owned plant that helped the country become a world leader in steel production. Its billowing smokestacks provided work for thousands but also darkened the sky over Beijing’s Shijingshan District, contributing to the city’s air pollution problem.

The sprawling campus has been converted into a bizarre, yet beautiful, city oasis.

Rusting factories and machinery remain, but the space between has been filled by grassy lawns, glassy ponds and a good deal of greenery. One of the blast furnaces was given a face-lift and turned into a steampunk-style event space with shops, commercial offices and a museum. The yards host dance showcases in the summer, and architects plan to transform one of the massive cooling towers hovering over the big air jump into a wedding venue.

a little concerned about skiing in a place called Freeski in the country that Yetis are from, but the rest of it sounds cool as heck

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Kenny Logins posted:

"i'm just so tired of all these base wars"

lol

ive been meaning to reread the instruction book for base wars, notably the intro page which is like 'rock raines just signed a 150 million dollar contract!' and 1990 me was like huh bet those contracts will be up there at some point in my life

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

if they kill that joke thing they're on to a winner. if you subtract the bartenders that aren't insufferable, totally incompetant or obvious rapists there's only like a dozen, max.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you should go to better bars

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
it's a kiosk with an alexa innit

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

you should go to better bars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's a kiosk with an alexa innit

and an inkjet style liquor dispenser

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

so if it runs out of , say, gin it won't print any drinks?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

carry on then posted:

so if it runs out of , say, gin it won't print any drinks?

"scotch on the rocks please"

REPLACE GIN CARTRIDGE

"yeah but "

REPLACE GIN CARTRIDGE

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rotor posted:

"scotch on the rocks please"

REPLACE GIN CARTRIDGE

"yeah but "

REPLACE GIN CARTRIDGE

owner buys a whole new bar because its cheaper than replacing the cartridges

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ah, gently caress, my mojitos are coming out with streaks of kahlua again

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the bartender's always running out of curaçao, but you gotta replace all the liqueurs either way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i ordered a flute of champagne but it was dispensed in a wide flat glass bowl. huh.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

chaosbreather posted:

if they kill that joke thing they're on to a winner. if you subtract the bartenders that aren't insufferable, totally incompetant or obvious rapists there's only like a dozen, max.

Lol, yeah, as long as you mean spacebar-tenders

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

alcoholic kcups were advertised p hard in lockdown, idk how they do that tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
coke free style machine but for booze. everything is always out but soda water and malort

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

graph posted:

alcoholic kcups were advertised p hard in lockdown, idk how they do that tho

Powered drink mix plus a small amount of liquid booze inside maybe?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

frantically slamming powdered old fashioneds as the clock ticks 5

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

guess it never worked lol https://www.keurig.com/drinkworks

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Agile Vector posted:

frantically slamming powdered old fashioneds as the clock ticks 5

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_powder

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1491487441605128197?s=20&t=qB7SJzwb3na9AEGaneX3wg

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Could they conceivably broadcast a patch for this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no, it gets trapped in a boot loop before the patch detector gets a chance to run

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So their infotainment systems just execute whatever code it receives? That's awesome.

I'm guessing this is some feature that was built in for the factory or dealerships to OTAP firmware updates?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

So their infotainment systems just execute whatever code it receives?

Where are you getting this idea from?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
as far as anyone can tell it goes like this:

1. radio tunes into station
2. station broadcasts bad image in metadata
3. image saved to local cache
4. attempt to load cached image, fail
5. media unit locks up and gets rebooted by watchdog
6. first thing after reboot, immediately try to return to last known state
8. goto 4

resume playback apparently takes precedence over apply patch, or possibly happens so fast the patch process can't complete

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

an image with a mime header but no extension in the filename was sent out by a radio station as part of its stream, which afaik is fine according to spec, but 2016 mazdas crash on that because of bad error handling (maybe they split on period or some dumb poo poo). whether that could potentially lead to RCE is unknown but possible depending on the exact nature of the crash

the theory is the file is now sitting in the mazdas' file system cache and every time one boots up, it tries to read the file and crashes & they cant get reflashed firmware or factory reset because that requires the os to be running & theres no safe boot lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

So their infotainment systems just execute whatever code it receives? That's awesome.

I'm guessing this is some feature that was built in for the factory or dealerships to OTAP firmware updates?

no, and also no.

it's an image file for ostensibly album art, being broadcast OTA by the station. the infotainment unit caches the broadcast image data and tries to read and display it, and fails due to bad error handling, and then reboots. immediately post-boot it finds the file in cache and attempts to display it, etc.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

no, and also no.

it's an image file for ostensibly album art, being broadcast OTA by the station. the infotainment unit caches the broadcast image data and tries to read and display it, and fails due to bad error handling, and then reboots. immediately post-boot it finds the file in cache and attempts to display it, etc.

Oh yeah, I forgot HD Radio was able to transmit album art along with the other metadata. I haven't listened to the actual radio in a car new enough to have that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
would be cool if nhtsa banned all oem car tech capable of displaying anything except text in a car but i know that horse is long out of the barn