Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

All this hard drive crap is pissing me off. I went with the 10TB ones, because that's when they switch to helium currently. I was hoping that this is just a relabelled enterprise drive of theirs, just with less warranty.

Their real datacenter kit have distinctive internal mechanics and logic boards, there is minimal correlation with their consumer kit beside packaging and basic techs. The only brand that made consumer products at datacenter standards was hgst(formerly ibm) and they stopped doing so when the Chinese regulators walking orders(stay independent until 2016) for letting the purchase from wd proceed were done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Ive worked on a few projects over the years that use consumer level drives in inexpensive servers and unless its like archive level storage with very little traffic. it will 100% end in tears.

I avoid jobs like that cause there is no way its going to go well and i can do without the stress and the black mark on the resume.

it wont stop people from trying. “these drives are so much cheaper than the enterprise equivalent and look! i get the same number of TB’s”

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's loving pathetic.

You could just unsubscribe.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also, using Google Drive as a swap space is hilarious and the video is very informative.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Charles posted:

You could just unsubscribe.
I'm not though :confused:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Charles posted:

Also, using Google Drive as a swap space is hilarious and the video is very informative.
You're a terrible human being.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
For actually watching the video and having fun instead of jumping to conclusions based on the title? Yeah I guess! (Hint: they say just to buy more RAM or use traditional local swap space if needed, something like that, I just had it on in the background.)

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The point of the video was to do something ridiculous. It was kinda funny

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

entertainment youtube channel: "here's a silly thing you can technically do but probably shouldn't"
BSD: "loving pathetic"

lol c'mon. why would you take LTT so seriously?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
free techtuber gimmick content piece idea: build a computer as a Corsi-Rosenthal Cube

https://twitter.com/LazarusLong13/status/1488273163314085889

first approach: you have the Cube, and you build the components inside of it

the tricky part here would be mounting the motherboard to something, routing all of the I/O, and whether the single fan at the top would generate enough airflow for cooling. I think what you could do is to keep the bottom panel of the cube as a sealed panel - wood, metal, whatever, and use that as a mounting base.

second approach: take a regular computer case, but install MERV-11 / MERV-13 filters on all the intakes

the tricky part here would be whether you can actually cut filters to fit, and more importantly generating enough pressure on exhausting fans to be able to pull air through the filters

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

entertainment youtube channel: "here's a silly thing you can technically do but probably shouldn't"

Cause it's not advertising itself as a tech comedy channel but as a tech news channel so newcomers without a clue will take it for gospel

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Cause it's not advertising itself as a tech comedy channel but as a tech news channel so newcomers without a clue will take it for gospel

...Did you see the video? The part where linus dresses up as a mad scientist and cackles maniacally might clue people into it not being serious tech news. They then go on to talk about why it's a dumb idea in a manner that's kinda interesting. They aren't telling anyone to do this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Meh, to me it's a far reach to generate (stupid) filler. FUSE exists for nearly ten years. --edit: Actually for longer. Googling "swap on fuse" reveals discussions about it deadlocking from around 2006.

gradenko_2000 posted:

and more importantly generating enough pressure on exhausting fans to be able to pull air through the filters
That should be the least of the issues. That setup is pretty much a volumetric version of the redneck air purifier (box fan + filter), just with additional computer parts inside.

--edit: nevermind, "Corsi-Rosenthal" is the fancy name for this purifier. It's too early to post for me, it appears.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 7, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why are you defending them?

...Did you see the video? The part where linus dresses up as a mad scientist and cackles maniacally might clue people into it not being serious tech news. They then go on to talk about why it's a dumb idea in a manner that's kinda interesting. They aren't telling anyone to do this.
The distinction is that they like to portray themselves both as tech comedy as well as tech news.
Even if they dress up like mad scientists, I can absolutely see how someone, who doesn't understand the catch-22 of swap (ie. the act of paging something to swap, on a filesystem or anything else that isn't a disk/partition, requires allocating more memory which in turn requires paging more to swap), might well think that that's actually a good idea.

This is further complicated by their genuine incompetence when it comes to anything more serious than using a screwdriver - like their business storage solutions always breaking, their attempts to do multi-tenancy virtualization solutions, and so on and so forth.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 7, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GamerNexus will do funny skits as opening to their factual content videos so looking like idiots isn't exclusive to tech comedy. If they put all their "we are idiots doing fun stuff" in a dedicated channel i would accept your point but last time i checked they put both reviews and idiocy in the same main LTT channel.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The distinction is that they like to portray themselves both as tech comedy as well as tech news.
Even if they dress up like mad scientists, I can absolutely see how someone, who doesn't understand the catch-22 of swap (ie. the act of paging something to swap, on a filesystem or anything else that isn't a disk/partition, requires allocating more memory which in turn requires paging more to swap), might well think that that's actually a good idea.

This is further complicated by their genuine incompetence when it comes to anything more serious than using a screwdriver - like their business storage solutions always breaking, their attempts to do multi-tenancy virtualization solutions, and so on and so forth.

I just don't see what the big deal is? They literally say it's a bad idea to do it, so if anyone says "no, this is a GOOD idea actually!" and tries it anyway, then that's on them. I feel like people are just trying to find something else to be mad about with LTT after their stupid storage server poo poo, so they settled on this totally inoffensive video for some reason.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I just don't see what the big deal is? They literally say it's a bad idea to do it, so if anyone says "no, this is a GOOD idea actually!" and tries it anyway, then that's on them. I feel like people are just trying to find something else to be mad about with LTT after their stupid storage server poo poo, so they settled on this totally inoffensive video for some reason.

They've got their goofy fun shenanigans channel, why not mix it in there with all the other goofy over the top dumb poo poo so it's clear it's goofy dumb poo poo?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rudager posted:

They've got their goofy fun shenanigans channel, why not mix it in there with all the other goofy over the top dumb poo poo so it's clear it's goofy dumb poo poo?

Because it's more of an infotainment piece than a "goofy shenanigans" piece, and there's no ambiguity in the video to clear up anyway. The only people who are confused about this are the ones who are jumping to conclusions without actually watching the video. I mean, I get why you wouldn't want to since LTT is pretty laughable a lot of the time. So, as someone who actually did watch the video, I can promise you that they made it abundantly clear that it was a bad idea to do, and they just wanted to use that concept as an excuse to explain how the technology works. That's all.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Nobody who watches that video and walks away thinking "yes, this is a good idea" is going to be able to pull it off anyways. It's a dumb little nod to all the silly / scammy download more RAM poo poo from the 90s and is not in any way worth getting up in arms about.

I very much doubt any of their viewers attempted to replicate their multiuser single PC virtualized gaming setups, either. I think you're vastly overstating the amount of harm silly tech videos can do.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

A yes, the theorised "quantum moron" who is both dumb enough to think it's a good idea and yet clued up enough to gently caress around with their system swap to actually do it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Theophany posted:

A yes, the theorised "quantum moron" who is both dumb enough to think it's a good idea and yet clued up enough to gently caress around with their system swap to actually do it.

So, pretty much the entire LTT audience then?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

I very much doubt any of their viewers attempted to replicate their multiuser single PC virtualized gaming setups, either. I think you're vastly overstating the amount of harm silly tech videos can do.
You'd be wrong about this. I've seen a bunch of talk in the past about replicating this in r/vfio and on the L1T forums. (Not the whole 7 user shebang, but 2-4.)

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Theophany posted:

You just described Linus himself. This is the same guy who despite having plenty of money, decided to tap into his kitchen range circuits for mini splits in the attic of the home he and his family actually lived in.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I can absolutely see how someone, who doesn't understand the catch-22 of swap might well think that that's actually a good idea.

lol dude are you mad at something outside of the posting realm because you sound so pungently cringe if only Linus is making you feel this way. Like the dude is annoying as gently caress but I guess he popped fhe thick vein on your forehead

I can absolutely see how someone, who doesn't understand the catch-22 of swap might well think that that's actually a good idea.

what are you, a net nanny? People broke their poo poo copying techTV. People break their poo poo doing tiktok hacks. People break their poo poo doing dumbass soldering on their own

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nothing angers this thread more than someone mildly criticising Linus Techtip.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Combat Pretzel posted:

You'd be wrong about this. I've seen a bunch of talk in the past about replicating this in r/vfio and on the L1T forums. (Not the whole 7 user shebang, but 2-4.)

L1T has been deeply involved in advancing GPU passthrough for a number of reasons including getting near native windows gaming performance on bare metal Linux. I would say if you're posting in communities that are dedicated to or have devoted substantial time to gpu passthrough you probably have an interest in the subject that goes beyond being influenced by a silly LTT video where it's generally portrayed accurately as a pain in the rear end undertaking with little payoff.

At the end of the day if you're doing it because you really like tinkering and you think it's cool, it's not really a problem. 🤷

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if I had a large enough home I would absolutely have tinkered with trying to bisect an 8-core CPU and an RTX card into two quad-cores and half a GPU each

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

forest spirit posted:

:words: about linus being the best
I'm sorry that you can't accept that your rich hero that you worship enough to need to defend him on this dead gay forum, when he doesn't even know you exist, isn't nearly as smart as you think he is.
That must suck.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I'm sorry that you can't accept that your rich hero that you worship enough to need to defend him on this dead gay forum, when he doesn't even know you exist, isn't nearly as smart as you think he is.
That must suck.

you're coming off extremely caremad/concern troll about a youtuber in a thread of posters who, I think it is fair to say, skew to the right of the bell curve when it comes to computer-touching savvy and it's not a good look.

just fyi :shrug:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

stop caring about the youtuber and just watch what you enjoy

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So which LTT mousepad is everyone getting? Or are you more water bottle people?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

well why not posted:

My wife bought me some LTT shirts. I would never buy them myself but they are actually good quality and the designs are nice/discrete.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

well why not posted:

I don't really understand the trend to advertise what you watch. I'm never going to be into something so much that I have to show it that way. That's me being old man yelling at clouds of course. Where I could go along with it would be for something like Save a Fox rescue or Big Cat Rescue or something

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

My wife bought me some LTT shirts. I would never buy them myself but they are actually good quality and the designs are nice/discrete.

LMG has like four actual fashion/product designers on staff now for that stuff, it had better be good quality. Also they need to hire a loving IT guy.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Arivia posted:

LMG has like four actual fashion/product designers on staff now for that stuff, it had better be good quality. Also they need to hire a loving IT guy.

Counterpoint:
Merch makes them a giant portion of their money
Not having an IT guy also generates revenue!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
People always claim that the merch they bought is supposedly "good quality"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Linus talks a lot about how much QA/due diligence he does when ordering new merch on The WAN Show, so it probably shouldn't be a surprise it's decent quality for what it is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The only youtuber merch I have are the GN coasters. No regrets.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’m very satisfied with my GN mouse mat and screwdrivers so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Fame Douglas posted:

People always claim that the merch they bought is supposedly "good quality"

Back in the day 90% of merch and schwag was Gildan. Trash shirts that you would wear when you were painting or changing your oil. A few companies used American Apparel. I cherished those shirts.

LTT uses American Apparel so that's good enough for me.