Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Gildan owns American Apparel now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only youtuber merch I have are the GN coasters. No regrets.

You mean the coasters that are now up for back order on store dot gamersnexus dot net as mentioned in this video where Steve also off handedly mentions that he slept in the office 2 straight nights to do some of the testing :wtc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQH__XVa64

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want a combined set of LTT sandals and socks.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

You mean the coasters that are now up for back order on store dot gamersnexus dot net as mentioned in this video where Steve also off handedly mentions that he slept in the office 2 straight nights to do some of the testing :wtc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQH__XVa64

This is the first GN video I've watched since they moved to their new facility. Holy gently caress the detailed testing they can do now is nuts. That air flow video O_O Holy poo poo.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

AlternateAccount posted:

Gildan owns American Apparel now.

That explains why the last Gildan shirt I came across wasn't hot garbage

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

forest spirit posted:

lol dude are you mad at something outside of the posting realm because you sound so pungently cringe if only Linus is making you feel this way. Like the dude is annoying as gently caress but I guess he popped fhe thick vein on your forehead

what are you, a net nanny? People broke their poo poo copying techTV. People break their poo poo doing tiktok hacks. People break their poo poo doing dumbass soldering on their own

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm sorry that you can't accept that your rich hero that you worship enough to need to defend him on this dead gay forum, when he doesn't even know you exist, isn't nearly as smart as you think he is.
That must suck.

If you both could take it down about 25%, I and the rest of the thread would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only youtuber merch I have are the GN coasters. No regrets.

Those GN coasters are genuinely so good. I have a set too.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Mr.Radar posted:

Linus talks a lot about how much QA/due diligence he does when ordering new merch on The WAN Show, so it probably shouldn't be a surprise it's decent quality for what it is.

This would be the same Linus who did his QA/due diligence about advertisers and then promoted offshoring brexiteers, RAID shadow legends and nicehash?

His judgement is highly suspect.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ok i'm curious now. Assuming Linus needs all that space, what would a sensible 1.2TB storage solution look like and how much would it cost?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Ok i'm curious now. Assuming Linus needs all that space, what would a sensible 1.2TB storage solution look like and how much would it cost?

1.2tb could be done with two barebone two-bays nas in staggered sync(async mirror). 12tb+ should be done with a set of 4-6 bay units over raid6 to limit disk mortality issues.

Brands depends on budget and RTO/RPO. If nbd or 4h is required, you will need enterprise tech like emc/hds or hpe, otherwise if longer times are acceptable, you can use smb brands like synology or qnap.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sorry that was 1.2PB that Linus had.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sorry that was 1.2PB that Linus had.

1.2pb with intermediate access times would call for a two-three trays storage array, possibly with basic block live compression features. I would use a couple of high density lff trays (2U/60 disks) and 10-12tb sas 7.2 drives along with a tray with few sff 12g sas ssd to provide caching and hot data access.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's worth noting that they're working with uncompressible data, since video is already compressed - so inline compression features from tape or a modern filesystem like ZFS isn't going to get anything - especially because lz4 and zstd features early-abort mechanisms, where it stops trying to compress records, if it can't compress them at least 14%.

Since it's a data archive, I think nearline storage (either in the form of a tape library with robotic arm, or a MAID; a massive array of idle disks where spinning rust is spun-down) is the way to go.
That is, unless they also have some kind of IOPS requirements, in which case what SlowBloke mentioned is more the neighbourhood they're looking at.

It's also not clear to me if it's 1.2PB allocated space, or if that 1.2PB is just what they think they're getting if they're assuming that "14TB" drives are 14TiB and aren't accounting for filesystem metadata, distributed parity, slop space, and other things that's gonna affect the allocated amount of space.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

1.2pb with intermediate access times would call for a two-three trays storage array, possibly with basic block live compression features. I would use a couple of high density lff trays (2U/60 disks) and 10-12tb sas 7.2 drives along with a tray with few sff 12g sas ssd to provide caching and hot data access.

Using truenas?

Haha someone on the Linus Tech Tips forums noted that a Petabyte of storage on AWS Glacier can be as cheap as 990$ a month.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 8, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Using truenas?

Haha someone on the Linus Tech Tips forums noted that a Petabyte of storage on AWS Glacier can be as cheap as 990$ a month.

I was thinking something along the lines of a hds vantara g-series (https://www.hitachivantara.com/en-us/products/storage/flash-storage/vsp-g-series.html) with dual controllers to start with, possibly going upscale if iops constraints are higher.

Sure you can get glacier storage at that prices but if you need to do reads too you are going to get far more onerous bills.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 8, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Getting data out of the butt is exorbitantly expensive, which is entirely by design :yaybutt:

If I was building for max efficiency, I'd look into getting a 36-bay front-loading chassis from Supermicro, and 9 of these to fill up the rest of the 42U rack for a total of 846 disks per rack. The advantage they have is that you're not moving 60-90 drives at a time, which is the case with all the top-loading drives, as these disk shelves allow for easy servicing of two disks at a time without moving any other drives at all.

Assuming 16TB disks, with 9 devices per raidz3 vdev plus a bunch of spares, that's over 7PiB of usable storage.

EDIT: And if you go with DRAID, you can probably get more than 10PiB per rack.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 8, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It's worth noting that they're working with uncompressible data, since video is already compressed - so inline compression features from tape or a modern filesystem like ZFS isn't going to get anything - especially because lz4 and zstd features early-abort mechanisms, where it stops trying to compress records, if it can't compress them at least 14%.

Since it's a data archive, I think nearline storage (either in the form of a tape library with robotic arm, or a MAID; a massive array of idle disks where spinning rust is spun-down) is the way to go.
That is, unless they also have some kind of IOPS requirements, in which case what SlowBloke mentioned is more the neighbourhood they're looking at.

It's also not clear to me if it's 1.2PB allocated space, or if that 1.2PB is just what they think they're getting if they're assuming that "14TB" drives are 14TiB and aren't accounting for filesystem metadata, distributed parity, slop space, and other things that's gonna affect the allocated amount of space.

You really obviously didn't watch the video, the 1.2PB is just the theoretical maximum of the drives. When they get things set up in their NAS installation it's in the 900 terabyte range and there's a couple of jokes about doing a bad setup to make the magic 1 petabyte number appear but Linus says not to bother, to go with the right thing. They know they're not getting an actual petabyte of storage out of that thing.

Tape is likely correct, they've been pretty clear about it just being uncompressed videos of all their youtube content ever and it rarely being something they actually go back and read from. Frankly I don't care about Linus or his stunts that much (except this did convince me to finally set up backups myself, which I'm really grateful for), it's just frustrating to see speculation about the topic that's solved by actually engaging with the content being discussed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

You really obviously didn't watch the video, the 1.2PB is just the theoretical maximum of the drives. When they get things set up in their NAS installation it's in the 900 terabyte range and there's a couple of jokes about doing a bad setup to make the magic 1 petabyte number appear but Linus says not to bother, to go with the right thing. They know they're not getting an actual petabyte of storage out of that thing.

Tape is likely correct, they've been pretty clear about it just being uncompressed videos of all their youtube content ever and it rarely being something they actually go back and read from. Frankly I don't care about Linus or his stunts that much (except this did convince me to finally set up backups myself, which I'm really grateful for), it's just frustrating to see speculation about the topic that's solved by actually engaging with the content being discussed.
It's more likely that I don't remember the video because of chemobrain, but it's loving hilarious if Linus said to "do the right thing" and then they didn't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It's more likely that I don't remember the video because of chemobrain, but it's loving hilarious if Linus said to "do the right thing" and then they didn't.

My apologies, comment retracted then.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

My apologies, comment retracted then.
No worries, it's entirely right to observe the difference between raw space and space that can be allocated (even I mentioned it in the post you replied to), and it's also entirely on brand for Linus to claim that it's 1.2PB when it's not.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If my napkin calculations are correct, they could've bought two 90-bay SAS disk shelves and a 36-bay chassis, and gotten 1.17PB usable space with 10TB disks - and they'd still have 9 disks left over for spares.
And quote is not edit.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Using truenas?

glacier is unuseable for online access. if their data was valuable enough (it's not) glacier would be a decent backup of last resort but it's not appropriate at all for anything you want to read again in the future except maybe in an emergency

they really should just immediately archive everything to tape and use a boring nas with modest capacity for their working set but you can't make exciting videos about that

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 8, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Do 100 racks and get 1EiB, or 100000 racks and get 1ZiB!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
We need to make tape sexy again.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

We need to make tape sexy again.

I for one welcome the new CLTO standard, backup to someone else's tapes!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YGA8ufRjiY
I guess if we're grouchin on Linus I just wanna say that this take seems weird and pointless and only exists in the tone of wanting to have a take that can be seen to look at the whole situation from a higher vantage point and thus with more authority and thus with the final say.

Although I did like the bit where someone in the chat points out that GN Steve's whole deal was that he hadn't opened the shipping box before he sent it back to Newegg so the last 5 minutes of ranting was completely irrelevant, and so instead of just being like ''oh right okay then'' they made that commenter seem like an idiot by changing the terms of their rant to be about some hypothetical general situation and not about the specific Gamers Nexus video that the rant was initially responding to

You don't have to be a thought leader expert in everything. Just be a regular human. Why are youtubers like this

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
E-celebrity and small business tyranny is a hell of a mixture.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shocked that Linus would jump to the defense of a corporation.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YGA8ufRjiY
I guess if we're grouchin on Linus I just wanna say that this take seems weird and pointless and only exists in the tone of wanting to have a take that can be seen to look at the whole situation from a higher vantage point and thus with more authority and thus with the final say.

Although I did like the bit where someone in the chat points out that GN Steve's whole deal was that he hadn't opened the shipping box before he sent it back to Newegg so the last 5 minutes of ranting was completely irrelevant, and so instead of just being like ''oh right okay then'' they made that commenter seem like an idiot by changing the terms of their rant to be about some hypothetical general situation and not about the specific Gamers Nexus video that the rant was initially responding to

You don't have to be a thought leader expert in everything. Just be a regular human. Why are youtubers like this
Brainworms. The answer is always brainworms.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

Shocked that Linus would jump to the defense of a corporation.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
does he use their referral codes a lot or something

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just returned some unused RAM to newegg and they covered the shipping costs both ways. I'll still buy everything but monitors from newegg. Whatever seller is cheapest really.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can't get free poo poo with a bad rap. Didn't it get as far as getting sponsored items/appliances for his goddamn home at some point?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
It's a two hour show with no editing or review staff - it's nothing but reactions to reactions: background noise like wacky morning radio DJs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do any of you buy from B&H?

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Charles posted:

Gross!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Charles posted:

Yea. They have their poo poo together and good prices, but they don’t fuckin roll on Shabbos.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I respect any online store that actually observes holidays and gives their staff vacations.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Charles posted:

Yep, though mostly A/V and photography equipment rather than computers. I always appreciate how they seem to take product organization on their website seriously. So many electronics retailers are a total shitshow when it comes to trying to use filtering and search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Charles posted:

They're exceedingly cool though can be a shitshow if you decide to order during a holiday. Like a 2 week break for Succos