Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

So a couple of things.

1. Not necessarily a criticism but am I the only one that thinks the story parts are intensely weird? They all feel really disjointed and they frequently have you talk to someone just to go somewhere else and talk to the person you're looking for or they show up while you're talking. Just feel super weird but I can't quite nail down why.

2. The faction mechanic is really underbaked. You need to go all-in on a faction because their upgrades only apply to zones they control and only the survivor upgrades actually seem useful (beyond the xbow)

CuddleCryptid posted:

Zombies stick to spikes, your kick just doesn't send them flying into them as much as the first game so it's harder to get them to make contact.

It seems inconsistent and it doesn't seem to make the sound effect. Some of the spikes just don't work but a lot of the time they hit the hurt box and fall down without sticking. Fire is also pretty jank because the box is basically right on top of it.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did I just reactivate a power station thats halfway submerged under water with pulling out high voltage electrical cables underwater. :psyduck: :psyboom:

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I recommend dropping difficulty to easy just because all it does is make everything much more enjoyable. You have stamina for combat from the start, there seems to be a lot more items laying around, zombies die in 4 to 5 hits and there doesn't seem to be bandits every two meters. Basically it's a tediousness setting, not a difficulty setting since all that happens is number go up, number go down.

I finished the game on hard and it was constant poverty and trying to kill the beefcake bandits by laying down 40 club hits to clear a fortress just to get shot in the back by the one archer i missed with no crafting parts for medkits.

The factions do suck. Everyone seems to agree that siding with either faction might as well be decided with a flip of the coin since they are so unlikeable and the faction rewards are bad.

Main quest stealth segments are truly horrid, especially the ones where you are not allowed to kill anyone, but luckily there was only a few of those.

Am I alone in thinking that the special infected are quite unremarkable compared to DL1, eventhough they are more or less the same? They just seem so uninspired, visually especially. Just some guys with glowing charcoal tumors.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Hub Cat posted:

1. Not necessarily a criticism but am I the only one that thinks the story parts are intensely weird? They all feel really disjointed and they frequently have you talk to someone just to go somewhere else and talk to the person you're looking for or they show up while you're talking. Just feel super weird but I can't quite nail down why.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the post-mortem on DL2. I'm wondering if kicking out Avellone had more knock-on effects than they've let on, so what we've got now is what they put together in a relative hurry.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gortarius posted:

I recommend dropping difficulty to easy just because all it does is make everything much more enjoyable. You have stamina for combat from the start, there seems to be a lot more items laying around, zombies die in 4 to 5 hits and there doesn't seem to be bandits every two meters. Basically it's a tediousness setting, not a difficulty setting since all that happens is number go up, number go down.

I finished the game on hard and it was constant poverty and trying to kill the beefcake bandits by laying down 40 club hits to clear a fortress just to get shot in the back by the one archer i missed with no crafting parts for medkits.

The factions do suck. Everyone seems to agree that siding with either faction might as well be decided with a flip of the coin since they are so unlikeable and the faction rewards are bad.

Main quest stealth segments are truly horrid, especially the ones where you are not allowed to kill anyone, but luckily there was only a few of those.

Am I alone in thinking that the special infected are quite unremarkable compared to DL1, eventhough they are more or less the same? They just seem so uninspired, visually especially. Just some guys with glowing charcoal tumors.

normal is good and fun

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Normal seems perfectly fine, easy even for me, and I am verifiably terrible at video games.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I've just been plowing all my resources into throwing knife and medicine blueprint upgrades, so combat on hard is basically un-loseable unless I fall off a building . being able to regen in 2 seconds and interrupt any attack at will are pretty strong. Forget gear - blueprints are what make you OP

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CuddleCryptid posted:

Zombies stick to spikes, your kick just doesn't send them flying into them as much as the first game so it's harder to get them to make contact.

You don't even need to kick or drop kick them actually, if you just get close to the spikes and swing your weapon the right way they'll get knocked into it.

Protocol7 posted:

Normal seems perfectly fine, easy even for me, and I am verifiably terrible at video games.

Yeah I'm enjoying normal. I pretty much never die as I've stockpiled so many useables and just try and play the game smart. Only time I die usually is from accidental falls.

I might think about raising it to Hard at some point, because I have heard the game suffers from a bit of a reverse difficulty spike. I difficulty trough, I guess you'd say

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm doing ok on Normal. My main source of death, is falls. Dying light 1 on normal was a lot harder and this, at low levels, seems quite doable still! Now that I got to the second area I think I'll explore a bit, do the story until I can get a bow or crossbow, then go back because I missed probably 95% of the upgrade thingies in the first area, and the second area seems to have fewer rooftop hive/honey places. I've been mainlining the plot and maybe it's time to kick back and do side stories / night time places.

Speaking of the night-time places, I saw a note saying 'it's daytime now! this place will become a lot harder' and I left within about 15 seconds of seeing that (I entered at night time) and I did NOT see zombies streaming in or out. I never tried volatile hives in #1 because even on normal I almost never felt like I was able to beat volatiles. Right at the end of The Following, I tried it and actually killed a couple of volatiles in 2 hits each with the most powerful weapon I could find, upgrade to something better, then fully modify with my best mods, but apart from that I was never able to. And that was at level 24 for everything with a couple of legend levels.

When I played 1, I got to old town then just forgot that there even was a story, and just played a ton of stuff, unlocking safe houses, killing zombies, went back to the first area and did every single sidequest, etc. 2 probably plays well when you do that, too. I also never killed the super-zombies in The following, you need co-op play for that which I never tried. My gaming friends want to play this with me so I'll see how co-op goes on thursday. Do they need to play it themselves first to get to a certain area or can they just drop in for multiplayer?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The game is so totally gorgeous that, and it feels weird to say this, It kinda detracts from the atmosphere. Like your in this beautiful autumn mountain range where the trees are so defiant they spring from the roofs buildings small and large, logic be damned even in the second map where it rains sometimes you never have that fierce wind and huge downpours that occurred in DL1. I suppose because they want more of a life renews vibe compared to Harren's "gently caress you, this town is going down!" feel.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah zombies don't actually stream in or out during the transition from day to night and vice versa, they just spawn in new places/sometimes if a player is there they'll crawl from some little hole as a form of spawning.

Unrelated, but can someone tell me how many places I need to give to the PKs to get the crossbow?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Why would you ever play a game on anything but normal? The devs balance the game for that setting.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Why would you ever play a game on anything but normal? The devs balance the game for that setting.

Devs can't really be trusted to know which difficulty is best, frankly. Many games I prefer hard for a little extra challenge and occasionally I go easy if a game is just stupid hard.

In this particular game I have no complaints really, although I am hoping that some section are coming that actually strain me a bit more in terms of survival.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Play posted:

Devs can't really be trusted to know which difficulty is best, frankly. Many games I prefer hard for a little extra challenge and occasionally I go easy if a game is just stupid hard.

In this particular game I have no complaints really, although I am hoping that some section are coming that actually strain me a bit more in terms of survival.

I respect the artistic vision of the hardworking developers. 🙏

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr Hootington posted:

this is me normally, some games are better on hard because they're balanced to be extremely easy (rear end creed origins, say) but i don't understand getting mad at a game because you have to play it on hard even though it enrages you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

also, hakon, curse your sudden yet extremely predictable betrayal. Luckily i'm not mad because i just got the incredible drop kick move.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

They balance it for a particular experience, and big-budget game difficulty often errs on the side of too-easy to keep the funnel wide. Also difficulty was one of the things DL1 got wrong for a lot of people, myself included. It got more boring as you powered up and the city became less dangerous. Also given the development drama, there's a very good chance this game didn't get the time for a fit-and-finish pass before getting shoved out the door.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

redreader posted:

I'm doing ok on Normal. My main source of death, is falls. Dying light 1 on normal was a lot harder and this, at low levels, seems quite doable still!

Mainline stuff is pretty easy, but at level 2 I'm having a lot of difficulty with night-time side quests. I started ignoring them completely...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

sebmojo posted:

also, hakon, curse your sudden yet extremely predictable betrayal. Luckily i'm not mad because i just got the incredible drop kick move.

jokes on me for reflexively mousing over this and spoiling it for myself but *wet fart noise writing*

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you ever get any resistance to chemical zones?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

buglord posted:

jokes on me for reflexively mousing over this and spoiling it for myself but *wet fart noise writing*

yeah it's extremely well telegraphed.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

No.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Mainline stuff is pretty easy, but at level 2 I'm having a lot of difficulty with night-time side quests. I started ignoring them completely...

What are you having a problem with?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Usually they will have some way to get around it, either a blacklight area you can retreat to or you can abuse your consumable of course.

One thing I REALLY wish you could do was spend some resources to upgrade your craftables after you upgrade the blueprint. It's annoying having multiple types of everything, it's stupid.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Play posted:

Usually they will have some way to get around it, either a blacklight area you can retreat to or you can abuse your consumable of course.

One thing I REALLY wish you could do was spend some resources to upgrade your craftables after you upgrade the blueprint. It's annoying having multiple types of everything, it's stupid.

the whole inventory system and ui is a bit of a mess

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
When can I upgrade my glider? I got a drop package with a military component from the first bandit camp and I didn't know you could use it to upgrade your glider. I want it to work like Mario's cape.
When do I get the grappling hook? I'm on the second zone doing quests for the boring fisheye guys

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You upgrade your glider at a craftsman. You need 2 circuitboards for the first upgrade, 3 more for the zecond.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Lone Badger posted:

You upgrade your glider at a craftsman. You need 2 circuitboards for the first upgrade, 3 more for the zecond.

They seem like people who would get really indignant if you called them craftspeople instead of Craftmaster.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I see.
So did anyone figure out if the machete and ax from the preorder bonus respawn? I am 99% sure I got the machete at the beginning of the game and I guess it broke and I think I was able to pull another one out of my stash. I'm waiting for my current machete to break but between the dropkick being a one-hit kill on any rooftop and a durability mod I popped into it I don't see it breaking any time soon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

being captured by bandits is pretty awful, but not nearly as awful as this constipation

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Calaveron posted:

I see.
So did anyone figure out if the machete and ax from the preorder bonus respawn? I am 99% sure I got the machete at the beginning of the game and I guess it broke and I think I was able to pull another one out of my stash. I'm waiting for my current machete to break but between the dropkick being a one-hit kill on any rooftop and a durability mod I popped into it I don't see it breaking any time soon.

Yes, they do.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I see.
So did anyone figure out if the machete and ax from the preorder bonus respawn? I am 99% sure I got the machete at the beginning of the game and I guess it broke and I think I was able to pull another one out of my stash.

You used to be able to get one every 90 minutes, now you can't. Not sure if this was a deliberate change or just something breaking.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

You used to be able to get one every 90 minutes, now you can't. Not sure if this was a deliberate change or just something breaking.

Weird, I guess haven’t tried in awhile since I’ve out leveled them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Weird, I guess haven’t tried in awhile since I’ve out leveled them.

The 'reload' weapons have no level. They automatically increase damage to match player level.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im starting to wonder if the lack of zombie density is a bug or some extreme measure to reduce bugs or something.

Cause it really doesn’t make sense that there is 1/10th the zombies walking around than there was in the first game. I look in any direction and there is like 4 zombie roaming around.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Kaddish posted:

What are you having a problem with?

I got a night-time quest from some kid. I'm supposed to go to the edge of the map, enter a store and loot food.

The problem: the street in front of the building entrance is packed with zombies, including a screamer, and I don't yet have any weapons to take those out from afar. Even if I somehow manage to sneak into the store, that means my retreat option is non-existent.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Found a sassy boy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I got a night-time quest from some kid. I'm supposed to go to the edge of the map, enter a store and loot food.

The problem: the street in front of the building entrance is packed with zombies, including a screamer, and I don't yet have any weapons to take those out from afar. Even if I somehow manage to sneak into the store, that means my retreat option is non-existent.

sneak up on the screamy boi, kill it with a takedown, lure the others down the street a ways

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Fully upgraded paraglider is just plain flying, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hwurmp posted:

sneak up on the screamy boi, kill it with a takedown, lure the others down the street a ways

or find a javelin (green light) and skewer it