Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I think they just want to lock people into these new phone discounts that are essentially 2 year contracts again

Yes and? You can always buy your phone outright or pay it off early, it’s a way better system than the contracts of yore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah I'm gonna be with T-Mobile for at least that long anyway, I might as well get half off a new iPhone out of it

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Question: I'm on the T-Mobile Military ONE plan. 6 lines, nothing fancy. Current bill is $123 this month.
Looking to add a 7th line for my sister in-law to get off Cricket. Will probably get her whatever freebie Samsung phone is available. (Looks like an A32 right now?)
I assume I would need to upgrade to Magenta Miltary then? Will I lose anything significant? Also, is the 7th line $10 or $20?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What is the catch on this Best Buy trade in promotion.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/iphone...e774cf9d6690INT

So I can trade in my iPhone 12 Pro for $900 towards a $1,000 iPhone 13 Pro? I assume I just continue to pay off the balance I owe on my phone through T-Mobile as I normally do, but I'll have a new phone from Best Buy for $100+ Tax?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

So I can trade in my iPhone 12 Pro for $900 towards a $1,000 iPhone 13 Pro? I assume I just continue to pay off the balance I owe on my phone through T-Mobile as I normally do, but I'll have a new phone from Best Buy for $100+ Tax?

I did pretty much this but 12 mini to 13 mini and yes. T-Mobile won’t even know you traded in the the phone you have a balance on.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Astro7x posted:

Yeah I did about the same thing around launch of the 13 Pro and as far as I can tell there’s not much of a catch at all. It’s even a better deal that the typical device credits for trade-in because you only pay tax on the $100, not the full price of the phone.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

fourwood posted:

Yeah I did about the same thing around launch of the 13 Pro and as far as I can tell there’s not much of a catch at all. It’s even a better deal that the typical device credits for trade-in because you only pay tax on the $100, not the full price of the phone.

Oh drat... yeah, that was what I was worried about. I have like a 10% sales tax here so it would have been $200 w/ $100 in sales tax alone. but for $110 this may seem like a no brainer to me.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Astro7x posted:

No catch for me but I purchased my phone last year. I paid $106 with tax when I traded in my 12 pro for a 13 pro.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That's sweet.

I think I may just do this. Local Best Buy has the phone I want in stock today. Looks like with iCloud you can now get free storage to back up your entire phone in advance of a transfer, so you don't even need to have both phones in order to do it anymore.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I backed up my phone, took my sim out and wiped it before even going to Best Buy. When I got there one of their reps just checked the phone for a couple of seconds turned it on and saw it was already wiped, asked me if I backed up my stuff. When I replied that I did they handed me the new 13 box and sent me on my way. I was in and out in like 15-20 minutes.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Should I be worried that T-Mobile offered me $899 on my pixel 4 to trade to the pixel 6, and once I completed the purchase i got a text from them saying a quote for $56 was accepted for my trade in?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Glass of Milk posted:

Should I be worried that T-Mobile offered me $899 on my pixel 4 to trade to the pixel 6, and once I completed the purchase i got a text from them saying a quote for $56 was accepted for my trade in?

If it's similar to how they did it with the iPhone 13's, then that 56 dollars is a bill credit and the rest of the credit is an EIP credit. I had $136 on my trade in last month and it was applied directly to my bill while the rest of my trade ( the rest of the quoted $799 in my case) in credit is doled out with the EIP payments.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 20, 2021

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

When I traded my Pixel XL for the 3a the way it worked was I got some pittance upfront (about $50) and the other several hundred was through bill credits. This is probably the same.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile soon. Has anyone travelled internationally with their Essentials plan? I may be visiting China or Italy in the next year or two.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Harveygod posted:

I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile soon. Has anyone travelled internationally with their Essentials plan? I may be visiting China or Italy in the next year or two.

I travel everywhere for work, the international stuff hasn’t let me down yet. It’s not the fastest but it works.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

e.pilot posted:

I travel everywhere for work, the international stuff hasn’t let me down yet. It’s not the fastest but it works.

Cool. Is it included or was that extra? I don't travel often but work may go back to sending me overseas a few times a year.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

The slow version is free, getting normal data speeds costs money. Essentials plans don't include international data, Magenta or ONE does. Details: https://www.t-mobile.com/travel-abroad-with-simple-global. Calls are not free, but 128kbps data and SMS are free. It's pretty great for basic maps and email/web use, completely useless for streaming or media.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

heffray posted:

The slow version is free, getting normal data speeds costs money. Essentials plans don't include international data, Magenta or ONE does. Details: https://www.t-mobile.com/travel-abroad-with-simple-global. Calls are not free, but 128kbps data and SMS are free. It's pretty great for basic maps and email/web use, completely useless for streaming or media.

facetime audio/whatsapp will work over the slow data for free voice

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I have a family member wanting to join my plan - can we do this deal if we transfer their line over? Or does it have to be a new line/new number?

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/offers/black-friday-apple
Buy one get one ON US (up to $800 off) on any two iPhone 12 or iPhone 13 models via 30 monthly bill credits on EIP when adding a new line on ANY postpaid consumer plan (new customers must add 2 new lines).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve also been looking at the above deal, but it’s hard to convince myself to leave my $40/mo Metro plan, even though I’d like to upgrade from my XR. Is it generally considered one of the better deals of the year? I’ve already got AirPods Gen 2 but I guess I could get the 3s and sell my old ones, and if the Apple TV is a code id sell that too.

Feels like I’d be better off just putting some money aside each month and buying a handset straight out in a years time tbh, but maybe I’m not seeing the benefits?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve also been looking at the above deal, but it’s hard to convince myself to leave my $40/mo Metro plan, even though I’d like to upgrade from my XR. Is it generally considered one of the better deals of the year? I’ve already got AirPods Gen 2 but I guess I could get the 3s and sell my old ones, and if the Apple TV is a code id sell that too.

Feels like I’d be better off just putting some money aside each month and buying a handset straight out in a years time tbh, but maybe I’m not seeing the benefits?

It seems like a solid deal. You don't have to trade in your XR and in my case I don't have to move to Magenta MAX either.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm looking at the math and I just can't convince myself.

Metro:
Handset $1000
Trade in/Sell current XR $??? (nothing huge I'm sure but it's an OK phone still)
Line cost $40/mo

Total price over 30 months: $2,200

T-Mobile
Handset $200 after $800 trade in
Line cost $85/mo

Total price over 30 months: $2,750

It's over a few years, but it's a pretty big chunk of change. I'm guessing I could probably sell my XR for a similar amount I could sell the AirPods/Apple+ code for. I also had to laugh the promotion is for a pair of AirPod Gen 2s, but they didn't even offer those when I went to checkout, only 3s which I'd have to pay more for.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm looking at the math and I just can't convince myself.

Metro:
Handset $1000
Trade in/Sell current XR $??? (nothing huge I'm sure but it's an OK phone still)
Line cost $40/mo

Total price over 30 months: $2,200

T-Mobile
Handset $200 after $800 trade in
Line cost $85/mo

Total price over 30 months: $2,750

It's over a few years, but it's a pretty big chunk of change. I'm guessing I could probably sell my XR for a similar amount I could sell the AirPods/Apple+ code for. I also had to laugh the promotion is for a pair of AirPod Gen 2s, but they didn't even offer those when I went to checkout, only 3s which I'd have to pay more for.

Have you checked Apple’s trade in on your phone ? You could always just trade in directly at apple, buy the unlocked version of the 13 or 13 pro, and just pay the difference and be done with it.

And as I think noted, today you would also get a $100 gift card (think it’s $100 for an iPhone).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

$200 for the XR at the moment, it's not a huge amount but sometimes it's just simpler to go that route. I think at this point I'll probably just wait until the next release and put some money aside over the next bunch of months, and hopefully the trade in amount won't be a huge amount difference (X is $200 and 8 is $160 atm).

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Coming from Sprint,I have one of my three lines that still needs upgraded our it'll stop working in the next month. It's my "home phone"/son's phone, so it doesn't have to be great. But I'd like it to be better than the Samsung A50 that I have on it now. The free ones they advertise are slightly worse, are there any free/cheapo phones better than it through T-Mobile? I'm fine being locked into 24 months or whatever.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

RodShaft posted:

Coming from Sprint,I have one of my three lines that still needs upgraded our it'll stop working in the next month. It's my "home phone"/son's phone, so it doesn't have to be great. But I'd like it to be better than the Samsung A50 that I have on it now. The free ones they advertise are slightly worse, are there any free/cheapo phones better than it through T-Mobile? I'm fine being locked into 24 months or whatever.

Edit:

These two are like $2 a month are they any good? The Nokia has 6g ram but it's missing a bunch of cellular bands?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Nokia is designed exclusively for TMobile. Better not travel anywhere with it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Charles posted:

The Nokia is designed exclusively for TMobile. Better not travel anywhere with it.

Oof. Any suggestions then?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

RodShaft posted:

Oof. Any suggestions then?

The Motorola. The version that's on Amazon has a good 4.5 star rating. Not an expert here though, wait for somebody else to chime in maybe. I've been on the iPhone train for a while and haven't kept up with Android phones.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Would the lack of n66 be a big deal? I drove around with my Nokia 9 and it went between n2 and n66. Does n66 tie into any 5g NSA bands?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Since I'm not seeing it posted, reposting from TFR's deal thread.

BeAuMaN posted:

This has been posted for more than a few days, but apparently T-Mobile has a Business Unlimited Tablet 5G/4G Internet plan for $10/month
https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/tcajz3/10_unlimited_tablet_line/

https://slickdeals.net/f/15673165-10-month-t-mobile-unlimited-tablet-line-10?v=1

5G/4G LT w/ a 50GB/mo soft cap (after soft cap, if there's congestion, you may be deprioritized until congestion clears)
10GB/mo of Mobile hotspot; 3G data after cap
Video streams typically 480p unless your purchase HD Pass (no idea on the cost of that)
5GB/mo of data in Canada/Mexico; 3G data after cap
Other details in thread

Some people have claimed they're a business with their SSN, some people have had difficulty if they have a consumer plan that has the same SSN, others don't have that issue. There's details in thread on what is accepted for business verification.

If you're looking for a cheap tablet plan, this is probably it.
On the off-chance that any goons are looking for a plan or if there's any goons who work for T-Mobile in thread that want to comment.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Has anyone gotten the AAA promo to work?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Guy Axlerod posted:

Has anyone gotten the AAA promo to work?

On the website it says the AAA stuff starts in 3 days, June 21

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

lowcrabdiet posted:

On the website it says the AAA stuff starts in 3 days, June 21

Gotta have something good for a tmobile tuesday!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lol signed up for the free AAA promo and apparently my promo code didn't work so got charged full price. AAA seems puzzled on how to fix it.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 21, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maneki Neko posted:

Lol signed up for the free AAA promo and apparently my promo code didn't work so got charged full price. AAA seems puzzled on how to fix it.

Mine won’t redeem at all. Contact T-Mobile support. I had a similar issue in the past for something else and they just credited me the amount for the promotion.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

BeAuMaN posted:

Since I'm not seeing it posted, reposting from TFR's deal thread.

On the off-chance that any goons are looking for a plan or if there's any goons who work for T-Mobile in thread that want to comment.

I just got this yesterday. Pretty crazy deal. Free tablet and $10 unlimited data. They didn't make me justify opening a business account at all either.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Goons: tmo will pretty much give you a iphone 14 pro ($1,000) if your on the magenta max plan. Condition: Any 11-13 PRO.

$800 for any 11-13, X,XS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how these deals never save me an money than what I'm on already, and I'm not on anything special. It's like $400 more to do that in my circumstances before I even sell my existing handset, drives me mad!

e:

To make sure I'm not missing anything, I'm using the 13 Pro 128gb as the 14 isn't on the site yet. I'm guessing taxes probably be about the same on both examples so I didn't do the math to include those.

$12/mo for the handset with $800 trade in for my XR
$85/mo for Magenta Max
totals $2,328 over 24 months

Whereas I keep my $40 Metro plan
$1,000 for the handset
$40/mo for my existing line
totals $1,960 for the same period

I guess if I needed a poo poo ton of data or had multiple lines it might work out, but you'd think there'd be more value to me being a customer locked in for multiple years would be something they'd want.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like how these deals never save me an money than what I'm on already, and I'm not on anything special. It's like $400 more to do that in my circumstances before I even sell my existing handset, drives me mad!

e:

To make sure I'm not missing anything, I'm using the 13 Pro 128gb as the 14 isn't on the site yet. I'm guessing taxes probably be about the same on both examples so I didn't do the math to include those.

$12/mo for the handset with $800 trade in for my XR
$85/mo for Magenta Max
totals $2,328 over 24 months

Whereas I keep my $40 Metro plan
$1,000 for the handset
$40/mo for my existing line
totals $1,960 for the same period

I guess if I needed a poo poo ton of data or had multiple lines it might work out, but you'd think there'd be more value to me being a customer locked in for multiple years would be something they'd want.

Yeah I did the 20% off One+ plan a while ago with a bunch of free lines and then moved laterally to Magenta Max last year, only thing I lost was the kickback discount, my Magenta Max bill is $112 for 7 lines.