Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just give me the old unit assignment it worked better, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Agreed - what a great example of attempting to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Not being able to separate troops by experience level is so incredibly dumb and it's evidence that the people who made that design choice don't really play the game all that much, because levelling your troops is a major component of the game and it's much more difficult to do reliably now. I don't want my recruits to be in the shield wall, wtf

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
The only problem I think this solves is "oops, I forgot to reset my troop classifications before the battle," but yeah, the new system needs to be more precise.

I don't know how anyone levels melee troops in a focused way without dumping junk equipment for experience now — thanks to someone for mentioning it a page or so back

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

DasNeonLicht posted:

The only problem I think this solves is "oops, I forgot to reset my troop classifications before the battle," but yeah, the new system needs to be more precise.

I don't know how anyone levels melee troops in a focused way without dumping junk equipment for experience now — thanks to someone for mentioning it a page or so back

If you're lacking combat loot and have effectively infinite money from Smithing or whatever, you can also buy a bunch of trash equipment from towns.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DasNeonLicht posted:

It also lets you group troops in your army but not in your party. Old system didn't let you do that at all.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DasNeonLicht posted:

I do one of two things:

- if my infantry outnumbers the enemy by a good bit, have archers hold fire and advance the infantry in. If you want to level recruits and your higher tier infantry also have throwing weapons, have them hold fire too.

- if you're fighting a decent sized force, have archers whittle down the enemy till you get to a manageable number, then do the above.

Grinding through recruits is not the worst since having massive attrition will level your Medicine relatively quickly and that skill can be a pain to level.

Also make sure you get Combat Tips (Leadership 25) since this increases the level of all your recruits that match your culture which obviously helps a lot.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Godlessdonut posted:

If you're lacking combat loot and have effectively infinite money from Smithing or whatever, you can also buy a bunch of trash equipment from towns.

How do you turn that into xp? I thought it only worked for stuff you didn't add to your inventory from the loot screen.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Tree Bucket posted:

How do you turn that into xp? I thought it only worked for stuff you didn't add to your inventory from the loot screen.
You can add loot from your inventory to the loot pool and you'll see the expected EXP gain number go up.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Speaking of grouping your army/party:

When a battle start, my companions are mounted (because all my companions have fancy horses) and they're thus placed into a cavalry formation. However, some of them would be better in an infantry or foot based archer formation. Is there a way of achieving this that is not removing their horses before combat and giving them their horses back after combat? It seems like I'm missing something obvious here.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Freudian slippers posted:

Speaking of grouping your army/party:

When a battle start, my companions are mounted (because all my companions have fancy horses) and they're thus placed into a cavalry formation. However, some of them would be better in an infantry or foot based archer formation. Is there a way of achieving this that is not removing their horses before combat and giving them their horses back after combat? It seems like I'm missing something obvious here.

Why do they need horses at all?

ZombyDog posted:

You can add loot from your inventory to the loot pool and you'll see the expected EXP gain number go up.

Cool! I'll try that out.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
You can put a mounted companion as the leader of a formation on foot, but if you want a companion to be counted as a rank and file infantry/archer they need to be on foot at the start of the battle (i.e. remove their horse from inventory).

If you don have any horse archers outside of companions you could make a combined foot archer/horse archer group but that's pretty niche.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Why do they need horses at all?

I thought that having my companions on horseback increased my party's speed. Is that not the case?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Freudian slippers posted:

I thought that having my companions on horseback increased my party's speed. Is that not the case?

If you have extra horses in your inventory, they (and all unmounted regular troops also!) will count as mounted for map speed calculation.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

tylertfb posted:

If you have extra horses in your inventory, they (and all unmounted regular troops also!) will count as mounted for map speed calculation.

I think they count for slightly less than true cavalry unfortunately.

Also the effect a single entity has on map speed is negligible so just ignore it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
What's the calculation for "how many things can i herd before i slow down".

There's gently caress all in game about it and the forums posts are all old. Granted i'm not a vassal right now so i'm very happy just going at 1.0 herding my 1000 horses, but at some point i'll probably want to speed this trader run up.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

dogstile posted:

What's the calculation for "how many things can i herd before i slow down".

There's gently caress all in game about it and the forums posts are all old. Granted i'm not a vassal right now so i'm very happy just going at 1.0 herding my 1000 horses, but at some point i'll probably want to speed this trader run up.

I believe every soldier can handle 1 animal and ride 1 horse before you start getting herding penalties. Don't forget pigs/cows/sheep also count in this regard.

Also there are perks that help you with it if you don't have them already

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also you share with your army. Right now every time my army disbands for whatever reason my movement speed plummets because all of a sudden those extra 500ish soldiers stop herding but all my horses and mules remain.

On the other hand at least I can speed up my army with shared horses.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

I think they count for slightly less than true cavalry unfortunately.

Also the effect a single entity has on map speed is negligible so just ignore it.

Thanks! Horse privileges revoked!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My scout is named Tala the Swift.
If I ever ditch her from my party, I guess she'll write a song about me

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://youtu.be/1bzzPIVXYUI

(there are english captions)

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The main menu music in this game is SO loving GOOD

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

I really like Serve as Soldier ( based off the Warband and then Bannerlord Freelancer mod but still being updated ) as way of starting your game, it gives you an opportunity to establish relations, build a little nest egg, gain skill XP in some of the harder to level in early game skills, try out different roles in battle and has become a staple for each of my new game starts. The Training with Troops can give you extra points in Endurance, Control and Vigor as well as additional focus points in a weapon skill but you really have to grind to get them, and you can also occasionally get free focus points based on the Assignment you've got currently selected. As you level up in your lords army you'll get access to higher tier equipment ( based on the faction you've joined ) and you can opt to retire when your contract expires and keep the gear you've equipped or serve another contract for a 25k denar bonus and an offer of Vasselage later on down the track. I don't think there's anything game breaking but does set you up a lot stronger once you have finished out your contract.

I have some bad news about this mod: it looks like the author deleted their Nexus account so it's no longer available.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Godlessdonut posted:

I have some bad news about this mod: it looks like the author deleted their Nexus account so it's no longer available.
I thought Nexus did that thing where they made everyone who continued hosting on their platform agree that Nexus could host the last uploaded version in perpetuity or something (I remember there was a huge drama thing about that with the Battletech modders)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/nexus-mods-no-longer-allows-mod-authors-to-permanently-delete-files

Since the moderator hid the mod due to the account being deleted... maybe the author was European and somehow GDPR's "right to be forgotten" clause gives them the ability to delete the mod also?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

they might have gotten banned for using the freelancer code without permission (nexus enforces this with an iron fist)

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Reddit says the Serve as Soldier author themselves had their code used without permission by some other modder for a Game of Thrones mod, SaS modder called GoT modder out on it, and got bullied and retaliated against for it, so they deleted their Nexus account and the mod went hidden. You can Google a link to someone's archive of the mod.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol

loving modder drama I swear to god

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Always modder drama!
:gary::yarg:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And here I thought that was restricted to Bethesda games modding.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

why on earth would you think that lol

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
That sucks - serve as a soldier is a way more interesting concept for a mod than GoT

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
The AI in this game frustrates me to no end. The winning strategy is to create 'superstack' armies of 1200+ guys, but the AI just keeps popping out armies of 6-700 no matter how many times they get completely wrecked.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

SolarFire2 posted:

The AI in this game frustrates me to no end. The winning strategy is to create 'superstack' armies of 1200+ guys, but the AI just keeps popping out armies of 6-700 no matter how many times they get completely wrecked.

The ai gets a huge boost of troops whenever they have to reform their party, which is why it's so difficult to knock them down for long. There's a mod that makes so lords follow the same rules as you for rebuilding parties, but it makes the game much, much easier.

You can also take the high level Riding and Scouting perks Mounted Patrol and Keen Sight, which in combination makes it impossible for enemy lords to escape your party. So you can just hoover them up and never have to worry about them forming new armies again.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SolarFire2 posted:

Don't worry! Your ai allies will handily deal with this situation by targeting a castle on the far side of the enemy kingdom, marching halfway across the map and accruing an ever-larger comet-tail of pursuing foes, until they are overwhelmed and crushed without ever laying sight on their target; and you emerge from single-handedly dispatching another enemy zombie army and are treated to the merry firework display that is half your screen filling with orange "ally captured" notifications.
Oh wait

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

SolarFire2 posted:

Yeah, I think their ability to poo poo out a brand new army a week after you evaporated their last one is meant to reduce kingdom steamrolling. I agree that it's frustrating, because it feels like you didn't accomplish anything.

The Diplomacy mod tackles this somewhat by introducing a War Exhaustion mechanic, where if you murder enough armies you'll drive their WE score high enough that peace is automatically declared.

Tree Bucket posted:

Don't worry! Your ai allies will handily deal with this situation by targeting a castle on the far side of the enemy kingdom, marching halfway across the map and accruing an ever-larger comet-tail of pursuing foes, until they are overwhelmed and crushed without ever laying sight on their target; and you emerge from single-handedly dispatching another enemy zombie army and are treated to the merry firework display that is half your screen filling with orange "ally captured" notifications.
Oh wait

One time I was happy to see an allied army go siege a town that I wanted captured, but then the army got stuck in an infinite AI decision loop where it sieged for one second, broke the siege to move somewhere else, then immediately sieged again.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

SolarFire2 posted:

on this subject, it seems like enemy parties should be surrendering or trying to flee from the start more often — too many outcomes are...

Player: 0 casualties
Enemy: 90–95% KIA

...all from the AI running hundreds of meters directly into withering arrow fire or a line of elite infantry?

maybe Calradia is governed by some weird Bushido or "not one step backwards" commanders, but bandit genocide on this level is so unrealistic it feels unethical

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its also funny how you walk up to the bandits and say "I'm gonna kill you", they say "your money or your life" and your groups walk 100 yards from each other and then turn around and charge.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Its also funny how you walk up to the bandits and say "I'm gonna kill you", they say "your money or your life" and your groups walk 100 yards from each other and then turn around and charge.

I've always assumed it's the leaders of the parties who meet up somewhere in the middle to parley

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

DasNeonLicht posted:

maybe Calradia is governed by some weird Bushido or "not one step backwards" commanders, but bandit genocide on this level is so unrealistic it feels unethical

and then there's me with my mod that prevents looters from surrendering so I can kill them more

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

DasNeonLicht posted:

on this subject, it seems like enemy parties should be surrendering or trying to flee from the start more often — too many outcomes are...

Player: 0 casualties
Enemy: 90–95% KIA

...all from the AI running hundreds of meters directly into withering arrow fire or a line of elite infantry?

Iirc this is function of the enemy commanders Tactics skill - bandits have 0 so will just always charge at the start of battle, but enemy commanders with an actual Tactics score will do better. No idea exactly how it works or if it's just "above Tactics score X actually give orders"

Like anything in this game theres a mod to improve it, specifically the AI portion of Realistic Battle Mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

MikeCrotch posted:

Iirc this is function of the enemy commanders Tactics skill - bandits have 0 so will just always charge at the start of battle, but enemy commanders with an actual Tactics score will do better. No idea exactly how it works or if it's just "above Tactics score X actually give orders"

Like anything in this game theres a mod to improve it, specifically the AI portion of Realistic Battle Mod

Thanks, this is a good tip

Realistic Battle Mod posted:

AI module in a nutshell:
Esentially armies will use some tactic (instead of Charge) when in battle, in vanilla army leader needs to have like 150-200 tactics skill for this to happen, with RBM tactics will always happen.

sounds promising — thanks again