Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

hey can i just say i loving loathe that every single time adobe updates InDesign (which i can't stop, because it's all creative cloud bullshit!) it resets my workspace to the new "essentials" layout, which has no tools in it?

your saved workspaces are still there, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DELETE CASCADE posted:

sorry everything's cloud hosted webshit now, and not only does it auto-update, you can't even preserve the older version. there is no older version
Creative Cloud actually does let you revert and install older versions next to eachother but I can't recall if there's a strict limit on how far back you can go.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 8, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

your saved workspaces are still there, right?

yes they are

and it still fucks me up enough when i first start the program and it's just a blank toolbar, and i hit tab a few times, and then blink and go UGH THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN and load my saved workspace.

i don't care if this is an irrational irritation. why can't they record the workspace i was using and restore it after an update

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the whole adobe gripes tumblr explains it all

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm not going to defend adobe, it's entirely possible I've been stockholm syndromed into just accepting how their apps work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh me too. i checked out that adobe gripes tumblr, which doesn't seem to have been updated since 2015, but half of the illustrator bugs are still there and as i read them i'm like "lol i guess that is technically a bug. but it's just how illustrator works"

every new one still makes me mad though. and changing up the interface is a new one every time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Adobe: What Else Are You Gonna Use? GIMP? Lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress adobe

your poo poo?

its garbage

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rotor posted:

Adobe: What Else Are You Gonna Use? GIMP? Lol.

GIMP's good OP

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They hide all the features behind 3+ menus to give you the illusion that it's bad.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They hide all the features behind 3+ menus to give you the illusion that it's bad.

well they sure tricked me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hey, no, come on, our software isn't named after a slur for a person with physical disabilities! we aren't like that.

our software is named after a bit from a quentin tarantino movie where a character is brutally raped! well, more specifically it's named after a certain type of sex slave that appears in that scene, but most people's awareness of the concept in popular culture would be -- hey, where are you going?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

pixelmator pro is a much better photoshop than photoshop 99.99% of the time

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i used krita for a minute and it seemed fine

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
gimp's minimal popularity has way less to do with its name than the fact that it's kinda lovely at its job

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

idk if anyone here is familar with apple's two factor auth system, but if you log into like icloud on an unknown pc, it pops up a map on your phone telling you where the login request was made and you can accept to get a 6 digit code to punch in on the icloud website. the field for the 6 digit code is actually 6 1-character text boxes and the cursor advances after each digit input, goes back with backspace, and accepts upon entry of the last digit. it's all actually pretty nice

this is partially dogshit in new zealand, as every single IP is geolocated as in auckland. my parents and wife's parents have asked me why someone is trying to login to their account in auckland, despite them not living there. its annoying

its also kinda weird how sometimes you'll get the notification to approve the login on the same device you are trying to login on. eg, if you are logging into icloud.com in firefox on mac, and your mac is logged into icloud, then you will need to approve the ff login via macos

but on balance its pee good vs other implementations

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

pixelmator pro is a much better photoshop than photoshop 99.99% of the time

it annoys me that they forked pixelmator and are asking me to pay again

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Gentle Autist posted:

it annoys me that they forked pixelmator and are asking me to pay again

it has some pretty nice tricks – the ML super resolution stuff has actually saved my bacon a few times

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

so you're saying i should just pay the cash

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the gimp is awful but its also one of the only successfulish open sores programs so any time a linux guy talks about how great open source is they are basically obligated to talk about it and open office

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sagebrush posted:

hey can i just say i loving loathe that every single time adobe updates InDesign (which i can't stop, because it's all creative cloud bullshit!) it resets my workspace to the new "essentials" layout, which has no tools in it?

adobe: yes, perhaps we can expand the market of photoshop by dumbing it down for the average parent editing their kid photos

also adobe: why wouldn't this logic also apply to users of advanced print layout software, surely the same parents need to lay out a zine featuring their kid pics

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

the gimp is awful but its also one of the only successfulish open sores programs so any time a linux guy talks about how great open source is they are basically obligated to talk about it and open office

inkscape is good imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gimp finally had a sufficiently large crowd of people yelling at them to cut the poo poo out with that stupid 20 tiny windows UI they had up until a few years ago and it's been Fine since then

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

yeah gimp is a lot better than it used to, I don't know how well suited it is for professional work but it deserves some better reputation

as for bad UX:

hate it when dates in the past are presented like "13 days ago" or "2 months ago", maybe it's a fun intellectual exercise to implement that functionality but I'm not sure how it helps anyone. show me a real date plz

at least some websites are reasonable enough to have the date as a label so you can get it by hovering. but it's still annoying and pointless

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sagebrush posted:

hey, no, come on, our software isn't named after a slur for a person with physical disabilities! we aren't like that.

our software is named after a bit from a quentin tarantino movie where a character is brutally raped! well, more specifically it's named after a certain type of sex slave that appears in that scene, but most people's awareness of the concept in popular culture would be -- hey, where are you going?
Listen. We could've changed the name but it has been too long and we'd lose the cultural cache we have going

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

olorum posted:

yeah gimp is a lot better than it used to, I don't know how well suited it is for professional work but it deserves some better reputation

as for bad UX:

hate it when dates in the past are presented like "13 days ago" or "2 months ago", maybe it's a fun intellectual exercise to implement that functionality but I'm not sure how it helps anyone. show me a real date plz

at least some websites are reasonable enough to have the date as a label so you can get it by hovering. but it's still annoying and pointless

love to see a bunch of screenshots of tweets and have no idea if they were tweeted last week or last decade

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

olorum posted:

Unless you're doing high end editing it has all of the features that you want. Like I said earlier a lot of them are hidden for no real reason, and obviously the UI is lovely.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
GIMP should change its name to IMP.

It would be way less cringey, and wouldn't change any text bounding boxes. They could even be GNU IMP if they wanted.

I had the "no wait, it's just a bad name! come back" conversation 3 out of 3 times, and then stopped recommending it to people.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think they should name it an even worse slur

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

rotor posted:

i used krita for a minute and it seemed fine

same

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

olorum posted:

I think some of this is to fuzz the obviousness of of algorithmic feeds, and some is just "dates are ugly, let's be more friendly"

in our product we made it so the control shows relative dates, ie "last month" or "last 7 days" then selecting that fills in the date/date range so the values are visible, but being accounting there's at least 3 dates required for everything [sometimes up to 9 with swaps] and it can still get kind of stupid

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

open office

openoffice is basically a shuffling zombie at this point. there was a fosdem track about it that included things like moving the build system to scons in tyool 2022

libreoffice is where all the work goes, and it's an example of good ui, because office app ui design peaked in the 90s and any attempts to change it have been terrible, like microsoft's ribbon garbage

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yospos ux thread: actually gimp is fine, libreoffice the best

close thread, ban op.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the best ui is bulk rename utility

i will not be answering any questions

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i think it's a testament to its ui prowess that i have seen that ui many times over the years but only now did i notice there's an ad at the bottom

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

carry on then posted:

A real-time preview with no menus. Its better than most modern software.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

there's probably a fair few people out there who as a primary skill and job task deal with this ui.

and that is not necessarily a bad thing, as the standard programming-broken brain would suggest.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

olorum posted:

good lord I hate that poo poo. I was doing some heavy migration stuff last Fall, and every single goddamn page library I had to change the display date to normal and not "friendly"

you can't loving compare dates when one's a real format and the other is "Monday" or "7 days ago", let alone trying to do it in both French and English

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

good lord I hate that poo poo. I was doing some heavy migration stuff last Fall, and every single goddamn page library I had to change the display date to normal and not "friendly"

you can't loving compare dates when one's a real format and the other is "Monday" or "7 days ago", let alone trying to do it in both French and English

that is worse than my main annoyance with it, but it still drives me up the wall when "1 year ago" may mean 729 days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that is worse than my main annoyance with it, but it still drives me up the wall when "1 year ago" may mean 729 days ago.
lol yeah that's pretty bad