Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It is THE entry device, until PSVR2 is released, at which point there'll be two.

Considering it’ll require you to already own an expensive and hard to obtain PS5 on top of the cost of the headset, I feel like this label is a long way off for the PSVR2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Why still no Minecraft on quest?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
PSVR works on PC, I don't see why the PSVR2 wouldn't.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shinjobi posted:

I find myself in a position to snag a Quest 2. I've not really entertained the idea of getting into VR before now, is that device a good entry point?

It's the best entry point by a mile.

gently caress Meta and all that but goddamn it's a great product.

Edit: ^^ it does?!?! poo poo, I gotta start paying more attention.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 9, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There was also Zombieland Double Tap which I think was made by the same devs as House of the Dead Overkill which is unfortunate in many ways. I think there are people trying to get various emulators working with VR controllers for lightgun stuff so we might at least have a virtual cabinet at some point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

PSVR2 runs off a single USB-C cable too, so either they’re doing something real nutty with the port on the front of the PS5 or it’ll be a whole hell of a lot easier to make it work on a computer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

You're missing the point; It's still not a comparable entry point to an entirely-standalone headset that Just Works.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
RE4 with the new movement restriction mode is really good. Much scarier when you need to play it closer to how the movement was intended, and the advantage you get from being able to aim and shoot over your shoulder is nearly counteracted by the panic of needing to reload etc.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

YouTube randomly recommended me a video I haven't watched in years (maybe cuz I'm looking up VR stuff), but now that I've put in a bunch of time into VR I can appreciate how hosed up it was doing this to this guy and laughed my rear end off. That is legit terror

https://youtu.be/7e9JvwhqLmA&t=5m12s

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 9, 2022

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

The Walrus posted:

RE4 with the new movement restriction mode is really good. Much scarier when you need to play it closer to how the movement was intended, and the advantage you get from being able to aim and shoot over your shoulder is nearly counteracted by the panic of needing to reload etc.

Yeah, strafing and full-speed-while-aiming completely broke the game. Classic movement + fully manual reloading + no laser sight makes the game much more interesting.

That said, Unreal Tournamenting through New Game+ is its own type of fun :D

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You know, I've beaten RE4 a bunch of times but never as an infinite RPG god of destruction. Not sure why.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm still disappointed with RE4VR because you can't shoot your hand gun as quickly as you can pull the triggers on your controller. I get why that limitation exists in the flat game, but it really takes me out of it in VR. Maybe that can be modded or something?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Playing around with Virtual Desktop and my latency is consistently around 65, which feels a bit higher than ideal. Looking at the streamer app on my PC, the "about" tab says the latency on that end is 55, I'm not sure exactly what that's referencing but it's a wired Ethernet connection so that seems higher than expected - does that mean the problem is (possibly) on my PC end?

Been testing it with Blade and Sorcery which I understand is a bit of a janky game when it comes to performance anyway, so I expect a certain amount of stuttering/frame drops when throwing people into each other or whatever - it just feels like it's all streaming a bit sluggishly and the display sometimes gets unpleasantly... smeary. The framerate counter never goes below 80 or so and it certainly doesn't feel that smooth.

It's not a disaster and it does work but I feel like I could get it smoother.

Setup is PC with wired connection into a TP Link range extender in my office room, playing the Quest in my living room on 5ghz (only device using 5ghz) on my lovely Virgin Media router (which is a top suspect for being part of the problem, no WiFi 6 or whatever)

I also haven't played around too much with the Virtual Desktop or SteamVR settings, to be honest I don't really know what I'm doing with the various bitrate options and it doesn't explain them all that well

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm not sure exactly what that's referencing but it's a wired Ethernet connection so that seems higher than expected

Ok...

quote:

Setup is PC with wired connection into a TP Link range extender in my office room,

So not really 'wired ethernet', lol. If there isn't a single ethernet cable going from pc to router isn't 'wired ethernet'. A wifi extender will introduce tons of latency. Even ethernet over powerline will have some extra latency (and tons of jitter in my experience).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ah sorry it is powerline, not WiFi extender lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have one too, and I tried to use Steam link with it years ago, the experience wasn't good. That's why I said powerline is still not like real ethernet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ah that's a shame, don't think I have any real way around that really. I certainly wouldn't be allowed to drag a cable through the entire house. Ah well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

I have one too, and I tried to use Steam link with it years ago, the experience wasn't good. That's why I said powerline is still not like real ethernet.

It's just using whatever copper cable is in your walls to carry current and relatively unsuited to the task of carrying network traffic. There's no way to fix that that doesn't involve a professional running CAT6 cable through your walls.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My house was previously owned by an amateur electrician and has, like, vestigial unfunctional LAN cables hanging from the ceiling in several rooms so I have absolutely no desire to find out what's going on in the walls lmao

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

absolutely no desire

ohhh I would. Time to rip open those walls and find a way to turn unfunctional into functional.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey I took a break from my Quest 2 for a year or so after formatting my computer and becoming lazy but I’m ready to jump back in and maybe finally finish Alex.

In 2022 do I need to install virtual desktop and all that stuff to get good wireless VR going or has Air Link officially removed the need?

Anything else cool or terrible happen to the platform while I was gone?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rolo posted:

In 2022 do I need to install virtual desktop and all that stuff to get good wireless VR going or has Air Link officially removed the need?

AirLink is pretty much just as good. Some people have better performance with VD but if you don't want to be bothered you're probably good to just try AirLink.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rolo posted:

Hey I took a break from my Quest 2 for a year or so after formatting my computer and becoming lazy but I’m ready to jump back in and maybe finally finish Alex.

They made the dashboard smaller and you can just hide it now if you want to just chill in your home enviroment.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm still disappointed with RE4VR because you can't shoot your hand gun as quickly as you can pull the triggers on your controller. I get why that limitation exists in the flat game, but it really takes me out of it in VR. Maybe that can be modded or something?

You wouldn't be able to shoot that fast in real life, either, the action needs time to cycle.

"Wouldn't it be cool if my gun could jam? Wouldn't it be awesome if I was torn to shreds because a casing stovepiped?"

Actually that would be cool. Capcom please add that mechanic to hard mode

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well its a game about shooting zombies, so we're already out of the realm of reality, let us shoot the drat gun Capcom

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of shooters, I've recently been trying Payday 2 for a bit and I'm having a surprisingly good time with it. It's a fun, more arcadey change of pace from the relatively more "realistic" shooters like Onward or Pavlov. I was initially a bit skeptical with having no manual reloads and barely needing to use the sights, but playing a round where I ended up frantically repairing the drill with one hand while spraying my rifle over my shoulder with the other to hold off cops showed me that it works really well in practice. And with the lower difficulties being so forgiving, you can totally do dumb poo poo like dualwielding Desert Eagles and practicing gun katas in the middle of the street.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Rolo posted:

For what it's worth, Virtual Desktop now supports wireless streaming out of the box without having to mess around with SideQuest. I haven't tried Air Link yet but I hear it's serviceable.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

You wouldn't be able to shoot that fast in real life, either, the action needs time to cycle.

"Wouldn't it be cool if my gun could jam? Wouldn't it be awesome if I was torn to shreds because a casing stovepiped?"

Hard disagree. Look at how fast a Glock 18c cycles and then try to tell me you shouldn't be able to shoot as fast as you pull the trigger

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are still valid reasons to be using Virtual Desktop today. On my PC anyway, PokerstarsVR runs significantly better over it than over airlink

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can I launch SteamVR games through AirLink?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yes, it works exactly like wired Link right down to the interface.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve never used wired link. Do I have to launch the games on the PC before putting on the headset?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nope, you put it on, launch Link and then you can bring up your normal desktop through that. Games on the Oculus store will be easily launched through the Library panel but for Steam games you launch them normally but you'll have that little launch option box pop up and you just tell it to launch in Steam VR mode.

I'd recommend against launching in Oculus VR mode for non-Oculus store games since in my experience that can lead to some controller issues.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Turin Turambar posted:

This is, of course, completely anecdotal, but I went from a powerline setup to a TP Link mesh network and have not had any issues. My PC is hooked up to one of the nodes and the modem is across the house.
Being wired in directly would be best, of course, but I play Pavlov all the time with no issues.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

flavor.flv posted:

Receiver VR when

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

Nope, you put it on, launch Link and then you can bring up your normal desktop through that. Games on the Oculus store will be easily launched through the Library panel but for Steam games you launch them normally but you'll have that little launch option box pop up and you just tell it to launch in Steam VR mode.

I'd recommend against launching in Oculus VR mode for non-Oculus store games since in my experience that can lead to some controller issues.

Oh dope. My issue was that I didn’t have SteamVR installed anymore, d’oh. It seems to be working now.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are still valid reasons to be using Virtual Desktop today. On my PC anyway, PokerstarsVR runs significantly better over it than over airlink

yeah

virtual desktop is much better than airlink.
even for how the menu is designed - it's just so much more intuitive and has more settings readily available without nesting things inside things

it just works©

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Harminoff posted:

Why still no Minecraft on quest?

No clue, seems like a great way for me to buy the game for a fourth time.

My nephew loves the game and just this last weekend I dug out my PSVR to show him Minecraft vr. He’s played my Quest 2 plenty, but he was absolutely mesmerized by Minecraft VR.

Just a big smile on his face as he was suddenly placed in the world. He loved the scale of mountains and caves. He realllllly like the new flying mechanic the game implemented.

Minecraft is perfect for VR and it sucks MS hasn’t let anyone other than Sony get an official VR release

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

In case anyone doesn't know, Minecraft on Windows supports VR natively and java edition has Vivecraft that works almost as well

But yeah a native Quest version seems like a no brainer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

forest spirit posted:

yeah

virtual desktop is much better than airlink.
even for how the menu is designed - it's just so much more intuitive and has more settings readily available without nesting things inside things

it just works©

My biggest issue with it has always been audio in/out for my extremely specific use case. I like to play Phasmophobia on SteamVR with a friend while in party chat AND the game listening to our mic's on the side.

Getting that working through VD was a nightmare. I just tested it using Air Link and so far it's been plug and play working. I haven't tested it while in party chat yet but if the Oculus software is running it I'm assuming we can just voice up in that.