Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress yes I was hoping they did that

tudyk owns and resident alien rules

(also I crossposted that to the resident alien thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3992728&pagenumber=1#lastpost)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

After seeing Alan Tudyk doing the peacemaker dance, I got to thinking about how he is in Doom Patrol too. He is in like, a LOT of DC stuff. He also, evidently, has voiced Flash, Green Arrow, Superman, Clayface, Joker, and even Alfred in an audiobook podcast thing. When I was looking it up, I saw he was in Powerless, too.

I had completely forgotten Powerless even existed, and it wasn't even that long ago. I found it on Amazon and watched it, and couldn't remember anything about it. It is so bizarre how it just misses hitting the goofy comedy of Doom Patrol and Peacemaker. People get bloodlessly killed, sitcom style, and it just is shrugged off. Some of the jokes are cute (The main doesn't know she is dating a Riddler henchman and he shows up with a Green Lantern ring shaped bruise on his face) but some of the jokes are so cartoonish they don't make sense (One guy puts together a model of WW's invisible jet, it is a child's toy that they sell at walmart that is literately invisible, so that tech just exists for everyone and he jet isn't special or anything). Weird racial "jokes" (the main makes whipping noises at the one black guy, later calls him a slave), weird sexual jokes, everyone in the office uses Batman's cousin's private bathroom, weird in universe jokes like putting lids on Ace chemical vats so less people fall into them and get turned into villains, Lois Lane dies and everyone thinks that Superman will just rewind time so they have a "No Consequence Day" until they see Superman happy at Lois' funeral with a new girlfriend.

It got cancelled so fast they didn't even air the whole season, just a big swing and a miss in tone.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I like how after Snyder failed spectacularly to make people care about the DC universe they switched gears and just embraced how loving dumb comic books truly are.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Snyder and Jenkins, isn't ww84 roundly hated?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Snyder and Jenkins, isn't ww84 roundly hated?

Hated is probably a little strong, but people do seemed to be pretty put off by it on the whole thanks to some weird script choices (especially involving Steve Trevor) and just seems to be regarded as kind of a let down after the first movie which people mostly thought was good.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The only bits of it i saw were twitter memes of ww lassoing a missile and throwing it at children

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wish Mossad could find a better actress than Gal Gadot to push their Anti-Palestinian movies

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

After today's Book of Boba Fett, I'm very excited for Peacemaker instead tomorrow.

Can we get James Gunn to do a Star Wars with full creative control next?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

After today's Book of Boba Fett, I'm very excited for Peacemaker instead tomorrow.

Darth Revan fucks

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean, we are getting a Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special from Gunn, which he has said will be influenced by the Star Wars Holiday Special in some ways.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

I wish Mossad could find a better actress than Gal Gadot to push their Anti-Palestinian movies

There was a bit in fast five where the team used her hotness to get fingerprints lol

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

swickles posted:

I mean, we are getting a Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special from Gunn, which he has said will be influenced by the Star Wars Holiday Special in some ways.

Rocket and Chewie hugging each other? Im into it.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I know, I know. But Peacemaker's intro continues to slap.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MadJackal posted:

I know, I know. But Peacemaker's intro continues to slap.

I propose James Gunn has a Martin Scorsese-level talent for soundtracks if the soundtrack sticks to either classic rock or glam metal.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
GOTG was one thing but I'm incredibly impressed with the Scandinavian glam bands he found that are perfect for this show and are finding their way onto my playlists.

I wonder if Wig Wam ever thought they'd have a song this well known.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 10, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

GOTG was one thing but I'm incredibly impressed with the Scandinavian glam bands he found that are perfect for this show and are finding their way onto my playlists.

I wonder if Wig Wam ever thought they'd have a song this well known.

Their agent fired them 5 days before episode 1 of peacemaker came out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Tunicate posted:

Their agent fired them 5 days before episode 1 of peacemaker came out.

Yeah, and while they knew the song was being used in the show, they had no idea it was for the opening credits. They probably thought it would be in a scene as background for 30 seconds or something.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
And because of all that they were days away from breaking up (again). But now they have a new agent and are booking international tour dates :unsmith:

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
zero percent chance robert patrick was in that costume at any point. he looked like the personification of back pain in the live action scenes.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

swickles posted:

Yeah, and while they knew the song was being used in the show, they had no idea it was for the opening credits. They probably thought it would be in a scene as background for 30 seconds or something.

Don't you get more money if your song is the credits music? Seems hard to overlook.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the reason James Gunn is jamming out so hard with DC is because they let him have full creative control. He writes R movies when left to his own devices. Disney doesn't seem to want to cross that bridge.

Going by the post credits thing and preview, this all bears a resemblance to his movie Slither.

pr0p fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 10, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Now that's a tragic backstory. And poor Murn :smith:

I would love it if Judomaster was just lying and trying to throw Peacemaker off guard when he said the butterflies aren't what you think they are. Did I forget why are they are keeping Judomaster alive?

lol the vets. The speech wasn't that inspiring.

99% chance that the "cow" gets telefragged, right?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better
feels good man

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

The bit with the Raccoon and Peacemaker's helmet nearly killed me, and then I actually died when they showed Peacemaker covered in scratches.

Great episode all around.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

theflyingexecutive posted:

Don't you get more money if your song is the credits music? Seems hard to overlook.

Their former manager might not have been that good at their job.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Economos cementing his MVP status

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

pr0p posted:

zero percent chance robert patrick was in that costume at any point. he looked like the personification of back pain in the live action scenes.

The only two in costume that are probably doing their own stunts are Cena and the guy playing Judomaster and I'm not even sure about the latter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of Judomaster, I only just found out that during the opening credits he's hiding in the background in several of the earlier shots, poking his head out from around the corner.

Mokinokaro posted:

The only two in costume that are probably doing their own stunts are Cena and the guy playing Judomaster and I'm not even sure about the latter.

I looked it up and Nhut Le is a trained martial artist and stuntman but he hasn't had a whole lot of experience, he had a stunt double for certain shots

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 10, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's important to swing the hips.

When you're drying, especially.

post credits :hmmyes:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

That “gently caress it, can’t worry about it now.” at Judo Master getting loose is the most realistic reaction ever lol

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i was so scared for eagly. please don't take him on this one last mission

also kinda wondering what the deal with Judo Master is and at this point if it will even get explained

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I sorta feel like Judomaster might be the victim of some rewrites or something but they still wanted to keep the sweet fight scenes and the fun actor in. Like, he's not a butterfly, says "the butterflies aren't what you think", seems to be working with them but doesn't seem to be in contact with the butterflies currently and yet still knows to go to Murns apartment and attacks them. Unless there's a big shoe to drop still, feels like he's acting at cross purposes to each faction we've seen.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 10, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I mean, I know Augie Smith was a giant piece of poo poo already but HOLY gently caress he is a giant piece of poo poo :stare:

Unrelated to that, Vigilante being concerned about irritating the skin of his hostages when he'd been perfectly happy 10 seconds earlier to just murder them was great, and I loving love everything involving Economos and Eagly :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Judomaster's battle cry always make me cracks up like crazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVmjkjCGCsM

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The show is really enforcing the idea that Vigilante is not well. He might be a good guy at heart, but he needs a serious intervention and probably a bunch of therapy sessions. I really can't see him accepting the idea that Peacemaker doesn't want to kill people anymore. (Shooting Nazi Iron-man dad is an exception to that and he should have done so eariler.)
By the way, did Vigilante even kill any of those Nazi goons? I'm pretty sure Economos got most of them, while Eagly pecked of the rest.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

cant cook creole bream posted:

The show is really enforcing the idea that Vigilante is not well. He might be a good guy at heart, but he needs a serious intervention and probably a bunch of therapy sessions. I really can't see him accepting the idea that Peacemaker doesn't want to kill people anymore. (Shooting Nazi Iron-man dad is an exception to that and he should have done so eariler.)
By the way, did Vigilante even kill any of those Nazi goons? I'm pretty sure Economos got most of them, while Eagly pecked of the rest.

Vigilante was pretty much just a distraction for the nazis so Peacemaker and Economos could make a break for it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I liked the casual confirmation that Peacemaker is bi. One of his father's reasons for killing him is that he sleeps with degenerate women and men.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol @ the subtitles having insulting names for the various nazi goons

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
lol

"Where the gently caress is Judomaster?"
"Judomaster is supposed to be there?"
:shrug: "gently caress it. Can't worry about it now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Unrelated to that, Vigilante being concerned about irritating the skin of his hostages when he'd been perfectly happy 10 seconds earlier to just murder them was great,

I hate that I perfectly understand the logic here.