Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, and in spite of the name, Princess Auto has a much more manly house brand called POWER FIST

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The best Power Fist stuff is about the same as the worse Ryobi items ime. My drill press which I mentioned a few pages back is Power Fist - it's good enough that I'm not going to actively make any effort or spend the money to replace it or to upgrade it, but not good enough to keep me from thinking about how nice it would be to have a better drill press. It works as advertised, but every single part of the design is annoyingly clunky and I get some deflection on harder materials if I'm not paying careful attention to what I'm doing.

If I got a deal on a proper standing drill press like a Delta or something, that Power Fist one would be out of my shop without a second thought.

The Power Fist hand tools and F clamps that I own - mostly from garage sales - are made of pretty lovely metal and strip/fail/bend often enough that they're false economy except if it's for a one-off project or if you get them cheap. And as I understand it, that's about where Harbor Freight stuff sits.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got that harbor freight sliding tile saw, and it's done plenty of medium and large tiles for several projects without issue. I think I paid around $220 for it several years ago, they're probably replacing it with another one of their "brands" now. Just don't buy the HF blade for it, get something better.

Here's the replacement model, fwiw. No experience with this one. They've also got a less powerful, smaller version under the same brand for less than the old model.

https://www.harborfreight.com/power...city-64684.html

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

And, at least when I was looking, there were no parts available to do anything about that. It's a pretty common failure mode from what I've seen around.
Yeah, I could probably pull apart my seized one and fix that one but it's not really worth the effort.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I am intrigued by wall mount shop vacs. I already have one shop vac, but moving it around between my tools is annoying, and I would really like to have a hose above my work piece rather than below it. Mounting one near my work bench then having another on wheels seems ideal. My work space is in my garage and I can’t really justify setting up a dust collection system.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I find cheap/ decent compressors often on my local Craigslist fwiw

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Calidus posted:

I am intrigued by wall mount shop vacs. I already have one shop vac, but moving it around between my tools is annoying, and I would really like to have a hose above my work piece rather than below it. Mounting one near my work bench then having another on wheels seems ideal. My work space is in my garage and I can’t really justify setting up a dust collection system.

Dunno if this would work for your workspace/setup but at my old place I had routed and mounted a spare hose above my bench that ended up near the floor where I kept my shop vac. Then if I actually needed it somewhere else I could unplug that hose and move the vac and use it's original hose.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Calidus posted:

I’d say go for it. There’s a RIDGID out there that is exactly that. It’d be handy for sure, but two is probably as many shop vacs as I can own without being ridiculed unfortunately.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CommonShore posted:

The best Power Fist stuff is about the same as the worse Ryobi items ime. My drill press which I mentioned a few pages back is Power Fist - it's good enough that I'm not going to actively make any effort or spend the money to replace it or to upgrade it, but not good enough to keep me from thinking about how nice it would be to have a better drill press. It works as advertised, but every single part of the design is annoyingly clunky and I get some deflection on harder materials if I'm not paying careful attention to what I'm doing.

If I got a deal on a proper standing drill press like a Delta or something, that Power Fist one would be out of my shop without a second thought.

The Power Fist hand tools and F clamps that I own - mostly from garage sales - are made of pretty lovely metal and strip/fail/bend often enough that they're false economy except if it's for a one-off project or if you get them cheap. And as I understand it, that's about where Harbor Freight stuff sits.

I don't know how much or how good the Delta drill press that you have yor eye on is, but this Porter Cable one is pretty fuckin sweet for the money.
https://www.lowes.ca/product/drill-presses/porter-cable-15-in-floor-12-speed-drill-press-78742

I don't work in an industrial/production type shop, but I have one of these at work and its pretty good for some fairly heavy work and a bunch of review sites I read info for it they mention that the 4 inch stroke is really good for a press in its price range. Or was really good back several years ago when we got it. Maybe thats normal now.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 11, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stealie72 posted:

Ehhhh. I killed two of them. One had its pressure switch die so I just compresses till the safety valve pops, and the other one seized up.

Replaced it with a 20 gallon California and never looked back.

Wow, I stand corrected lol .. I know a few people that have one, hate it, but can’t seem to kill it. Good to know your experiences w it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wesleywillis posted:

I don't know how much or how good the Delta drill press that you have yor eye on is, but this Porter Cable one is pretty fuckin sweet for the money.
https://www.lowes.ca/product/drill-presses/porter-cable-15-in-floor-12-speed-drill-press-78742

I don't work in an industrial/production type shop, but I have one of these at work and its pretty good for some fairly heavy work and a bunch of review sites I read info for it they mention that the 4 inch stroke is really good for a press in its price range. Or was really good back several years ago when we got it. Maybe thats normal now.

Oh I just mean if I get a hypothetical deal on a used one. If I needed to go out and buy a new one that's the kind of thing I'd look for, but it's not worth me spending $600 and reselling my current one for maybe $150 to upgrade right now. That's like a 3rd-tier priority for workshop purchases.

Which is my point about the Power Fist stuff. It's not great, but it's not so bad that I'm going to rush to replace it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Well, I finally got home from my work trip to see the DeWalt stuff arrived. Still can't believe it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bob Mundon posted:

Also walks across the floor as it runs.

My slightly over a year old Craftsman clone died last week and I replaced it with a Porter Cable. Despite being identical in every way, the Craftsman one didn't walk and the Porter Cable slowly spins in a circle. Whatever.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Verman posted:

Well, I finally got home from my work trip to see the DeWalt stuff arrived. Still can't believe it.

Lemme get that angle grinder sans battery you dont want it :D

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

*Bangs silverware on table*

ToolGoon garage sale! ToolGoon garage sale!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

That's funny, all my friends requested an angle grinder. I am seeing these things on the local FB and offer up pages. Lots of full and partial kits. They're smaller than most of my Ryobi stuff.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
These catalytic converters aren’t going to cut themselves

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Opioid posted:

These catalytic converters aren’t going to cut themselves

Then you can buy more bee boxes. It's a vicious cycle.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

*Bangs silverware on table*

ToolGoon garage sale! ToolGoon garage sale!

At least one free tool giveaway thread imo per 3 boxes of tools you get free

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh if we do a toolgoon sale maybe I'll finish restoring the wooden parts on that #8 plane I bought and which became redundant two days later when I was given a new #7 for my birthday - it's an older stanley knockoff with a corrugated sole and a wedge-style iron. It was finnicky to set up, but it takes nice shavings now that I have it there!

Though it would be a bitch and a half to ship.... :thunk:

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
What's your location? Actually would love to have a 7 or 8 but they are so crazy online and I'm lucky to find a no5 at estate sales around here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bob Mundon posted:

What's your location? Actually would love to have a 7 or 8 but they are so crazy online and I'm lucky to find a no5 at estate sales around here.

Buttfuck Canadian prairies?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Sad face. Was hoping Texas but that's about as opposite as you can get on this continent.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I replaced the switch in the used drill press I bought. It works now. I just noticed it doesn’t have a keyless chuck. I am pretty sure I don’t have a key and I am not sure if I have ever use a drill without a keyless chuck.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Calidus posted:

I replaced the switch in the used drill press I bought. It works now. I just noticed it doesn’t have a keyless chuck. I am pretty sure I don’t have a key and I am not sure if I have ever use a drill without a keyless chuck.

Mine was used and free, and didn't come with a chuck key.

I got this one (or something very similar) from HD and it works great: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1-2-in-Multi-Chuck-Key-A10MK21/205642387

I put a piece of blue tape on the side that actually fits my drill press chuck, and threw a rare earth magnet on the cast motor housing to keep it close by.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
For a drill press you may need the 3/4 in version of that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stupid question Is 3/4 the diameter of hole/key? Or the gear?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

AFAIK it's the size of the chuck.

E: found this helpful link https://www.hunker.com/13415994/how-to-size-chuck-keys

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

deimos posted:

AFAIK it's the size of the chuck.

E: found this helpful link https://www.hunker.com/13415994/how-to-size-chuck-keys

The chuck should have the key size listed. If not, then it's measure and guess time.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

sharkytm posted:

The chuck should have the key size listed. If not, then it's measure and guess time.

Found a part number of chuck which lead me to the correct size, thanks!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Looking at the stack of chisels, knives, carving, and garden tools I have that need to be sharpened I think I'm going to bit the bullet and buy a low speed wet sharpener / grinder.

The jigs seem to be a significant chunk of the investment. Superficially the machines look to have very similar tool rests. Are the jigs from the various manufacturers interchangeable between brands?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The only jigs worth a drat are the expensive Tormek ones from all the research I've done.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In today's episode in "Adventures in small town facebook buy and sell pages," yes, Linda, I'm very sure that the blue Ryobi 18v circ saw that you're selling is "brand new" and worth $10 more than one costs at home depot.

There are so many dumb and weird stories on these stupid pages. Also, why on earth do these people seem to have so many "Brand new in box" DeWalt batteries for sale? Shoplifing? There are loving heaps of them there.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

In today's episode in "Adventures in small town facebook buy and sell pages," yes, Linda, I'm very sure that the blue Ryobi 18v circ saw that you're selling is "brand new" and worth $10 more than one costs at home depot.

I check my city's craigslist almost every morning as kind of a coffee-ritual, and I am seriously amazed at the poo poo people put up there.

No one wants to pay $20 for a baby crib with no walls and 2/4 feet broken, why would you waste your time to photograph it then create this post? No, your ~10 year old blue Ryobi router is not just $10 cheaper than a brand new, more HP, model. And I definitely wouldn't pay $50 for a broken dishwasher you placed outside your garage a week ago :psyduck:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

deimos posted:

The only jigs worth a drat are the expensive Tormek ones from all the research I've done.

I had a feeling. And some of the jigs I will want (turning tools) seem to only be available from Tormek.

So the question becomes : "Will Tormek jigs work on the cheaper machines?" Then: "Will the slop and imprecision people complain about on the cheaper machines drive me nuts because I'm tired of how much I suck sharpening knives using other techniques?" --> "Will it suck enough to be worth the price difference between a T-4 and the General/King/whatever generic?" --> "There's not really that big a price difference between the T-8 and the T-4 when you consider the two extra jigs that come with the T-8."

Yeah, I think I see where this is going. :homebrew:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm in the big city and it's the same poo poo. I guess everyone is hoping to find that sucker or hope that a supply chain shortage fucks up the market in their favor.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, good luck listing anything for a reasonable price and not get inundated with lowballers, choosing beggars, and people ghosting you.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

I had a feeling. And some of the jigs I will want (turning tools) seem to only be available from Tormek.

So the question becomes : "Will Tormek jigs work on the cheaper machines?" Then: "Will the slop and imprecision people complain about on the cheaper machines drive me nuts because I'm tired of how much I suck sharpening knives using other techniques?" --> "Will it suck enough to be worth the price difference between a T-4 and the General/King/whatever generic?" --> "There's not really that big a price difference between the T-8 and the T-4 when you consider the two extra jigs that come with the T-8."

Yeah, I think I see where this is going. :homebrew:

Are you me?

From my bit of research: the generics can be a crap shoot in terms of precision and repeatability. BUT so can the T-4 (to a lesser degree but it can still happen), from what I have read Tormek is not the best customer service.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

SpartanIvy posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, good luck listing anything for a reasonable price and not get inundated with lowballers, choosing beggars, and people ghosting you.

I've had good experiences selling old furniture and appliances on craigslist in a major metro area. In fact, I just sold a rug and table for about 80-100% what I purchased them for years ago (which I suppose is probably more like 40-60% in terms of real value). I had no low-ball offers, but I did have one person ghost me. Overall, I was very satisfied with the process.

With tools, I feel there is are a lot of differences. First, in my area there is a glut of high quality battery operated tools available (maybe there is also a lot of demand, I'm not sure, but I sure see the same ads over and over again which makes me think demand is much lower). Second, I feel like there's some inherent risk with tools that doesn't exist with furniture. If it's used, the question is always how hard was it used? Was it daily contractor use or one small homeowner project use? If the tool is new-in-box, is there a risk it's stolen? Third, there's the value of my time. I'm not going to spend $40 less on a tool, but have to pick it up 40 minutes away at 9 pm on Saturday night. Fourth, in my area there's at least one person who stamps all his lead photos with the pricing (good!) in comparison to misleading or flat out wrong retail pricing (bad!). All of these things combined leads me to be a bit more discerning when it comes to tool pricing, and while I try not to low-ball, clearly there are seller's who don't take these things into consideration.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

CommonShore posted:

There are so many dumb and weird stories on these stupid pages. Also, why on earth do these people seem to have so many "Brand new in box" DeWalt batteries for sale? Shoplifing? There are loving heaps of them there.

Because they arent made to last and people buy tool bundles and sell the batts while theirs still work. Everything used has been priced higher than I would value it since the pandemic started. People need money and dont have it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hexigrammus posted:

Looking at the stack of chisels, knives, carving, and garden tools I have that need to be sharpened I think I'm going to bit the bullet and buy a low speed wet sharpener / grinder.

The jigs seem to be a significant chunk of the investment. Superficially the machines look to have very similar tool rests. Are the jigs from the various manufacturers interchangeable between brands?
Rikon makes a really excellent low speed 8" grinder and with the right wheels, it runs very cool. No need for all the extra mess/expense of a wet grinder, though that may be better for kitchen knives, idk. I just sharpen my knives with stones. The Oneway wolverine jigs are really great, but I have no idea if that is necessary for that you are doing.