Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tei posted:

this is somewhat unfair since the above are used has particles in a cloud of birds, while the one below is fully modeled

is like comparing a playable soccer player in the last FIFA with one member of the public

You're right, the comparison is un-necessary to prove the point that 2042 sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The vehicle upgrades in BFV was some of the absolute worst game design I’ve ever seen. The fact that you were locked into your choices until completing the tree meant that if you got one of the upgrades that, say, replaces your plane’s default guns with a terrible auto cannon that can’t hit anything, or chose one of the awful AA guns for a tank, you were forced to finish leveling that vehicle up with those useless weapons turning a long grind into a truly miserable one

Battlefield really needs both vehicles fully unlocked by default and an airborne practice range full of bots. A large part of the reason why level 100000 pilots are such a menace is because it's nearly impossible to get good at flying unless you are already good or you camp the poo poo out of plane spawns and become an empty uniform for the rest of your team. Battlefront had a even flight based combat mode, why not this?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does 2042 not have a firing range with all the vehicles available to tool around in?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ZeusCannon posted:

Does 2042 not have a firing range with all the vehicles available to tool around in?

I think it has a range but not bot planes, right? It's been a while since I played.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

You could make a private game to mess around with a vehicle but it's not really practical for figuring out how to get good at aerial combat.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Battlefront had a even flight based combat mode, why not this?

If there’s anything they should crib from their Battlefront design doc it’s the coop mode that got added. Players vs bots (including vehicles and heroes) with enough of an overwhelming number of bots to keep it challenging, but most importantly full exp gain and progress for all weapons/unlocks. Gives players the chance to learn the maps and practice with heroes/vehicles without having to fight your entire team for the privilege of doing so.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

CuddleCryptid posted:

Battlefront had a even flight based combat mode, why not this?

Battlefield games have had flight only modes in the past but they always die out. The main reason for this is a vicious cycle. Flying is completely different skill set from infantry or tank play so there's an innate skill gap. Skill gaps turn people away from flying so they don't fly so there are less pilots.

On top of that, flight only modes in BF have traditionally just been dogfighting which has only really been decent in BF4. The appeal of flying for most pilots is being CAS and wrecking infantry so a mode where you're just turning circles isn't appealing.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://twitter.com/Battlefield/status/1491804241295515648

Alright at this point they're just trolling us. I have no other explanation.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Tei posted:

I think Portal is a mistake. And I don't know what they did wrong.

They just ported the portal stuff into the 2042 engine and it's terrible. Caspian border somehow seems smaller or something. Like AA vehicles/weapons have an insane range across the map that I don't recall being there in BF3/4, helicopters control like absolute garbage as well, like the sensitivity is just completely maxed out and they're borderline unflyable. The bc2 blackbird is nearly impossible to fly if you don't have a super gentle touch. The collision mesh with the trees in valipariso or whatever is really weird and even a light brush with the upper canopy will basically instantly flip your helicopter or just make you blow up with no warning

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That owns, lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Angel's iconic beanie

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Don’t be sad etc

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Somehow worse than the pendants. Incredible. :lmao:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

all I do now is equip AA and chase this high, every round

Nice one.
Still haven't got a kill using it.

Getting my highs by trying for Tuk Tuk T1 mastery. Managed to get a train of 3 Tuk Tuks just weaving in and out of fights, beeping shave and a haircut, going a few times.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Why tf doesn't this game give you assists/points for hacks and designations and kills with the soflam. Managed to basically lock enemy air down with rao camping the spawn

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Epic Tactical Beanie is really taking the piss at this point. That's hilarious

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Hahahaha official response of well, "you don't have to use the beanie"

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Allgemeine-Diskussion/Das-kann-doch-nicht-ernst-gemeint-sein/td-p/11275654

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I love the Angel memes.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

dog nougat posted:

Why tf doesn't this game give you assists/points for hacks and designations and kills with the soflam. Managed to basically lock enemy air down with rao camping the spawn

I don't think this game has heard of vehicle assists, and they'd be WAY too hard to patch in.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Forget birds, I've noticed in my recent time as an AA-missle toucher that when it's far enough away, the Apache renders as a Hokum

happyhippy posted:

Nice one.
Still haven't got a kill using it.

Discarded seems to be one of the better maps for getting them, but it's sort of a crapshoot. Sometimes I one-shot Little Birds, sometimes I pump 3 into an Apache or Hind and they don't die.

dog nougat posted:

Why tf doesn't this game give you assists/points for hacks and designations and kills with the soflam

or vehicle kills. Drives me nuts when I pump a bunch of missles into something and some dingbat in a Bolte nicks them and gets credit. But yeah it makes no sense to give it for wizard balls and not the SOFLAM

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Don't be sad, this is just how longshoremen look sometimes.

I've still never noticed the stupid pendants anywhere but the customization screen

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm fine with hats and poo poo, please just no more weapon charms

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The groups of Blackhawks flying by in the background look like low polygon trash

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Tactical Beanie Epic Headgear

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've still never noticed the stupid pendants anywhere but the customization screen

I'll keep an eye out when I'm earning my tactical beanie this week but I'm half sure they don't even render

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Same. PUBG has the pendants, but you get them for kills, and you can notice them there.
I guess they had to get them into the game.

And starting to consider all Bolte users as assholes now.
On Hourglass you just have to get into one and drive into every building between A1 and B1, and youll get a few kills, and leaving infantry open up to running over as you circle around.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

whoever made the decision to make the default emblem a grey truck.... I love it. Like wtf lmao I'm loading in looking at my graphic designed up P L A Y E R N A M E and emblazoned behind it is... a grey truck. amazing

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

https://youtu.be/b-Djf0ds_bA

New Hazard Zone refresh honestly looking really good, I can't wait to give this a shot. They capture the post-apocalyptic raid feeling really well with the ruined scenery and surging tides plus there's actually an undercurrent of "are we the baddies" working as mercenaries for exploitative capitalist interests that are holding things back. Good progression system, too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Is bf v still a poo poo show?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
https://lespcgamer.com/battlefield-2042-lost-over-96-of-its-playerbase-since-the-release/

Oof

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Battlefield games have had flight only modes in the past but they always die out. The main reason for this is a vicious cycle. Flying is completely different skill set from infantry or tank play so there's an innate skill gap. Skill gaps turn people away from flying so they don't fly so there are less pilots.

On top of that, flight only modes in BF have traditionally just been dogfighting which has only really been decent in BF4. The appeal of flying for most pilots is being CAS and wrecking infantry so a mode where you're just turning circles isn't appealing.

I don't even think the skill gap has much to do with it. BF's flight models have always been super basic, and the skill gap in BF comes from knowing how to abuse the map/spawn timers to suppress other pilots while farming infantry. If you take those things out of the equation then you really highlight the limitations of BF's "Air game" because everyone is flying cloned vehicles in a giant pointless scrum.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Tactical beanie can't cover that

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This is brutal.

Has there been any enhanced communication?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think it's only gotten worse since they announced it would get better

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think it's only gotten worse since they announced it would get better

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Lol eerily accurate

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

:dunkedon:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So are they gonna battlefield 2043 this thing or what cos I don't see them fixing this poo poo show ever

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Laserface posted:

So are they gonna battlefield 2043 this thing or what cos I don't see them fixing this poo poo show ever

EA is getting to it. They're just finishing the final touches on Anthem first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think it has a range but not bot planes, right? It's been a while since I played.

Yeah there's a co-op mode you can play to unlock weapons and vehicle upgrades.