Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fart Sandwiches posted:

magic the gathering online exchange

mark karpeles did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao the creditors cant go with a class action because: "in order to have relied on Karpeles’s misrepresentations, each member of the class must have read the Terms of Use, or at least have been aware of the relevant provisions of the Terms of Use, and that the relevant Terms influenced their actions. Absent a presumption of reliance applicable to the class—and no such presumption existed in this case—reliance is individualized" rofl

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=fc84ae15-0e18-4b53-afc2-927af6976166

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ross ulbricht and mycrimes.txt

mystes
May 31, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao the creditors cant go with a class action because: "in order to have relied on Karpeles’s misrepresentations, each member of the class must have read the Terms of Use, or at least have been aware of the relevant provisions of the Terms of Use, and that the relevant Terms influenced their actions. Absent a presumption of reliance applicable to the class—and no such presumption existed in this case—reliance is individualized" rofl

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=fc84ae15-0e18-4b53-afc2-927af6976166
What a great argument. Companies can enforce the terms of use against you, but you can't claim you relied on them because you can't prove you actually read them.

I hope the person who wrote it gets the 7 figure job he's angling for defending companies using child slaves to mine asbestos or whatever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pulcinella posted:

Digital whiteboards were going to revolutionize education.

If you believed this you are dumb enough to be a school administrator.

lol i remember having to fight with those when i worked for a school district in the 2000s

i remember one support call we had someone whose mouse was somehow "stuck" on a part of the screen. went over and found that they had a smartboard, and there was a chair with a coat draped over it near the smartboard, and the coat was brushing up against the board so as to make the board register constant contact there, hence the mouse pointer being stuck in that location

Pulcinella posted:

It looks like now-a-days the more “high end” manufacturers like SmartBoard have turned to selling what are effectively 55” android tablets.

lol that makes total sense

let me guess, there's a whole panoply of lovely overpriced education apps they're pleased to sell for them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/z03k2ED.mp4

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
actually the biggest hassle i ever had wasn't with the smartboards themselves, it was when the high school decided to purchase and permanently mount projectors for them in a bunch of classrooms

the facilities dept installed the mounts, electrical outlets, and ran the conduit for the VGA cable, but we completely forgot to tell them we needed VGA cables run through them. so i had to go pull VGA cables through the conduits.

the conduits were juuuuuust wide enough to accommodate those big blocky square VGA plugs, which meant the cables would usually get stuck at the 90 degree turns in the conduit. i figured out that if - after tying it to the base of the plug - i taped the pull string so that it ran flat along the length of the plug, it usually made it easier to get the cable through. but it was still usually like 20 minutes of grunting and swearing while standing on top of a student desk to pull the drat cable along.

kinda curious if they still have projectors in those rooms

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mystes posted:

What a great argument. Companies can enforce the terms of use against you, but you can't claim you relied on them because you can't prove you actually read them.

I hope the person who wrote it gets the 7 figure job he's angling for defending companies using child slaves to mine asbestos or whatever.

yeah its wild. itd be a good argument in favor of abolishing EULAs/TOUs but welp

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I work in ewaste and boy howdy are those short throw whiteboard projectors showing up in droves. they are almost all universally lovely too.

schools must be dumping them en masse

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I work in ewaste and boy howdy are those short throw whiteboard projectors showing up in droves. they are almost all universally lovely too.

I think I would take one just for fun. Admittedly I have multiple times thought projectors would be cool but then realized they suck when I actually spend 10 minutes researching them and it's probably extra true now that huge tv's are dirt cheap

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah its wild. itd be a good argument in favor of abolishing EULAs/TOUs but welp

Forced Arbitration 3: This time, it's personal

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i bet the bulbs are burning out and they don't want to pay for new bulbs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i bet the bulbs are burning out and they don't want to pay for new bulbs

the extra funny part is a lot of them show up with like 15 hours on the lamp

they just don’t get used and then when the school wants to put something else in, they yank them. honestly I think a lot of the whiteboards get left up and just used as regular ol dumbboards

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh wow, so they weren't even getting used.

i guess i'm not too surprised by that, tbh. the smartboard software was always just another program for overworked teachers to try to learn how to use effectively. there were some that loved it and really dove into it, but i think for a lot of teachers they just didn't provide enough benefit to justify the time investment

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
felt like it was always the math teachers that were most enthusiastic about the smartboard stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am way more excited by teaching in a room with those cool three-level boards that you can slide up to the ceiling than getting to use any imaginable "smart classroom" poo poo.

e.g.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I work in ewaste

i know, i've read your posts

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
transferring data between devices with infra red.

my first work phone was a palm sometehing (treo?) but it had windows mobile on it. it was a $500 hunk of poo poo of course.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

i know, i've read your posts

my posting is poo poo but your joke still stands because I also used to work in sewage treatment

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

i am way more excited by teaching in a room with those cool three-level boards that you can slide up to the ceiling than getting to use any imaginable "smart classroom" poo poo.

e.g.

they're good, but youre not an S tier operator with these until you have a board wiper assistant with the big eraser on a stick

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

obeyasia posted:

transferring data between devices with infra red.

my first work phone was a palm sometehing (treo?) but it had windows mobile on it. it was a $500 hunk of poo poo of course.

I did this exactly once

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have 2 (two) whiteboards in my home office behind me

it's excellent

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I did this exactly once

same

someone sent me a photo from their enormous brick of a windows mobile smartphone to my treo 650

it took a while and im still amazed it worked

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

we have strayed so far from god's infrared light

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I remember using infrared for mystery gifts in Pokémon silver with my sibling and their copy of gold :woop:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

I remember using infrared for mystery gifts in Pokémon silver with my sibling and their copy of gold :woop:

I almost mentioned this myself

also had a pocket monster pikachu

I was really jazzed about the pokewalker they introduced with hg/ss, still have my togetic in mine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

I did this exactly once

now i remember when everybody got really into hp jornadas, and i bought a jornada 720 from sa-mart for $110, installed linux on it, logged in, did an `ls`, said "neato" and put it in a box for six months, then sold it on sa-mart for $130

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
when I was teaching I just liked to put the projector over the regular white board to be able to draw arrows and underlines to explain how loops and conditionals work. I did draw on the wall a few times and students got in trouble until I realized what the fuss was about. same thing happened when I pasted googly eyes all over the pictures of govt officials when working late nights. massive witch hunt to find the nefarious student vandals and it was just me all along

one of the classrooms had that smart board garbage and i tried it out a few times but it was always losing calibration.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
typical; students not doing well, wonder why that is. must be because we aren’t using smart projector boards, not because teachers are overworked and underpaid and don’t have resources like paper and chalk

buy the smart projector boards.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

"this is the first day, right?"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i like to draw things on a whiteboard and then collaboratively share the content via taking a pic with my iphone and uploading it to slack where people can comment and suggest edits if necessary.

but im the product architect so typically what i say goes haha owned

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sniep posted:

but im the product architect so typically what i say goes haha owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OnoxKotPQ

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Hoped this would be this video, it was, watched again, because it's that good.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i love it i hadnt seen it before

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

oh poo poo someone leaked our sister divisions' architecture confluence

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

like I'm not even kidding to answer the question "what is this user allowed to do?" There are at least 4 different sources of permission data some of which overlap and take data from each other and the system that "controls" it is hot garbage from 2009 that still requires IE compatibility mode and has features like "if you request multiple roles, it will use 'lowest of' to work out what approvals are needed" so if you request "admin" and "basic bitch" it'll only check for basic bitch approval

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kitfox88 posted:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

like I'm not even kidding to answer the question "what is this user allowed to do?" There are at least 4 different sources of permission data some of which overlap and take data from each other and the system that "controls" it is hot garbage from 2009 that still requires IE compatibility mode and has features like "if you request multiple roles, it will use 'lowest of' to work out what approvals are needed" so if you request "admin" and "basic bitch" it'll only check for basic bitch approval

Well bingo knows everyone's name-o

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh wow, so they weren't even getting used.

i guess i'm not too surprised by that, tbh. the smartboard software was always just another program for overworked teachers to try to learn how to use effectively. there were some that loved it and really dove into it, but i think for a lot of teachers they just didn't provide enough benefit to justify the time investment

A projector and a document camera were incredibly helpful, but you don’t need a smartboard to do that. I’m impressed some of this poo poo is actually getting thrown away. My first district had a warehouse where old technology would be entombed until the end of time. You see it can be hard to publicaly dispose of things ina school district. Trying to dump some old windows 95 tower PCs? Better do it in the dead of night or someone will complain to the media about how the school district is wasting tax payer money throwing away 25 year old computers.

EdTech is a wasteland even compared to the rest of the tech industry. Every edtech startup thinking they are creating some Bret Victor style future of education when they are just reinventing Blackboard for the 50th time. Either that or Uber but for tutoring.

The big textbook companies have even managed to go backwards. In the late 90s/early 2000s textbook companies would produce supplementary software to accompany the textbook. Usually multimedia with videos, pictures, Flash games and interactive experiences, etc. Now they struggle to put a PDF online and fix the errors in the online quiz. (E.g. “Calculate the answer with the correct number of significant figures” but the person writing the quiz for the textbook company got the wrong answer so the quiz marks correct answers as wrong).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I remember the first time I had to "rent" an ebook for a class and I shudder to think of what the textbook situation is like nowadays