Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This is just a big fat grumble.

I wanted to test out my new headset speakers so I fired up YouTube on my Quest for the first time. Didn't grab my controllers, just used hand tracking. In less than 10 minutes, I:
  • Wanted to scroll but apparently clicked a video now it's starting
  • How do hell do I go back? Where the gently caress is a back button? It's HOME or QUIT I guess...
  • Repeat multiple times until quit in disgust
How could the experience of browsing youtube of all things be rendered so goddamn clunky? The friction I'm experiencing in a frontline app like YouTube feels crazy and shows how far a lot of this has yet to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Eyes Have It posted:

This is just a big fat grumble.

I wanted to test out my new headset speakers so I fired up YouTube on my Quest for the first time. Didn't grab my controllers, just used hand tracking. In less than 10 minutes, I:
  • Wanted to scroll but apparently clicked a video now it's starting
  • How do hell do I go back? Where the gently caress is a back button? It's HOME or QUIT I guess...
  • Repeat multiple times until quit in disgust
How could the experience of browsing youtube of all things be rendered so goddamn clunky? The friction I'm experiencing in a frontline app like YouTube feels crazy and shows how far a lot of this has yet to go.

Youtube's VR apps are notoriously trash.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

raditts posted:

Youtube's apps are notoriously trash.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

raditts posted:

Youtube's notoriously trash.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

raditts posted:

apps are notoriously trash.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

raditts posted:

Youtube's VR apps are notoriously trash.

There's a big overhaul coming soon apparently.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Good news everyone! Los Goya (Spanish Cinema awards) will be streamed from Venues
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/event/3405692909657604/
...wait, what? Who asked this?
Quest penetration is pretty low in Spain in comparison with NA, so I'm not sure the point.

Do you like waifus? Click here then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwQL-N9qVls

Devolver publishes a new VR games, this time being a... kraken?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2p3mAmW1Lk

Peaky Blinder VR which... I understand is a popular IP in UK?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5iGWWBNC74

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The kraken game seems cool. Looks very much like a seated game only

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'd play as a Kraken

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that doesn't look super unique and the VA sounds like she recorded her lines on a gaming headset, but the setting is kinda interesting?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

wolrah posted:

I want to play PCVR games in a reasonably portable configuration, I want modding to not be a pain in the rear end, and I don't want money going in to Zuck's pockets while I do it.

Good news! Facebook is bleeding money on VR so you can freely buy their hardware and just never buy anything on it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bondematt posted:

Good news! Facebook is bleeding money on VR so you can freely buy their hardware and just never buy anything on it.

also, I guess if you don't want money to go into zucc's pockets from the hardware, you can just buy a Quest 2 secondhand.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bondematt posted:

Really when you think about it this way, by NOT buying a quest you are ensuring facebook doesn't lose money. Do your part comrade.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Someone posted a YouTube vr video where you are going through space. I cannot find it anymore. Does someone have the name or link?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
/\/\/\
This?

Xaintrailles posted:

Just saw this and it's pretty incredible, need to watch in VR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-7hszUhzM
The stereo gets wonky at a few points, I think because stuff is too close to your face, so you need to have your bad stereo->close one eye reflex down.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

joylessdivision posted:

I apparently don't because I didn't realize that was a thing I needed to do.

Edit: welp, apparently the Oculus software doesnt work on Windows 11 and they didn't have Mac software that I could find so I guess this air link thing might be a bust

I've been running Windows 11 the entire time I've had the quest 2 and had no issues at all with the oculus software. So I doubt that is your issue, but who knows, maybe it gives some people problems.

You definitely have to turn off airlink on the headset in the experimental section to get a cable to work. I forget this almost every time I plug it into the PC.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Has anything cool come out since half life? Haven’t touched my headset in a while.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Xaintrailles posted:

/\/\/\
This?

Hell yeah. Thanks!!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Blaston continues to be mind blowingly incredible to me. I'm not sure if it's just a me thing or the game is a genuine gem that has flown under many people's radars.

I've been playing for a month now and kind of settled into an mmr range. I was winning about 50% of my matches, but wasn't making forward progress anymore. I struggled a lot against grenade spam. I took a 2 day break due to social obligations, but during that time watched some pro matches, and specifically a few on how the pros handled grenade heavy match-ups. I was able to learn how they moved their body to dodge the grenades.

I went back last night, implemented what I had watched, and ended up winning 15x games in a row. I felt like I could see the code like Neo. No one's grenades could touch me. The coolest part was that instead of the change being buying new items, memorizing a new build, or pressing different buttons, it was learning to move my body in a new and different way in real life. This was very rewarding in a way that felt different from anything I have experienced in gaming previously.

Also on the plus side is that I've lost around 5 pounds playing this game for the past month. And it wasn't because this is the only physical activity I am getting. I had a 3-4 day a week fitness regimen before VR, but Blaston has upped my cardio significantly. I may as well retire my treadmill at this point and just use Blaston for cardio while keeping my weights routine the same. Blaston is the only game where I will be sweaty, tachycardiac, and out of breath but will still immediately smash the next match button cause it's too fun.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like Blaston but it takes ages to get a match and I feel like I'm playing it wrong because I am winning most of my matches but am not getting any real workout. Also I dunno how populated it really is in Europe time, I feel like I just keep timing out, fighting the same people twice in a row or getting stuck in bot matches.

Started playing Sairento and it kicks rear end, the slowmo backflips give me the only slight queasiness I've ever had in VR lol but it's manageable

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like Blaston but it takes ages to get a match and I feel like I'm playing it wrong because I am winning most of my matches but am not getting any real workout. Also I dunno how populated it really is in Europe time, I feel like I just keep timing out, fighting the same people twice in a row or getting stuck in bot matches.

Started playing Sairento and it kicks rear end, the slowmo backflips give me the only slight queasiness I've ever had in VR lol but it's manageable

Ah, I have no idea what the European userbase is like. I'm at 1800~ MMR on the USA east coast, I que with bots turned off, and I can usually reliably get matches from like 5pm-11pm on a weeknight. The wait times get significantly longer if I try to play later at night.

I agree with you that if you get matched against someone too easy, you can beat them by casually walking around your platform. But anytime I go against people around my own MMR, I am doing squats constantly (Doing a circular moving squat is one of the best ways to dodge bullets in the game) and it isn't uncommon for me to jump or crawl at points.

I have no idea if our pings would make playing feasible, but if you wanted to play, I'd give it a go

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, it's the same for me. Matchmaking takes a while, and I end up going up against the same people every time. And since I'm still in the low MMR where I win 99% of the time, it just kinda felt bad constantly dumping on the same people over and over again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah it's a pity, but Blaston lose progressively most of the playerbase after the first 8 months or so.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Is there anything like beat saber mixed with the old audiosurf game or something where I can just feed it .mp3s? I'm not particularly good at Beat Saber yet and a lot of the custom tracks I've found are expert level and much too hard for me.

I want to chill out and VR rhythm game with my own music.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Turin Turambar posted:

Yeah it's a pity, but Blaston lose progressively most of the playerbase after the first 8 months or so.

Are there no bots / automated opponents? That's something that's pretty nice about Ironlights (another 1-on-1 duel game).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Are there no bots / automated opponents? That's something that's pretty nice about Ironlights (another 1-on-1 duel game).

There are bots, yeah.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
How is Alyx so good? Why don't you make more games, Valve?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I'm a pretty new VR user but I'm holding off on Alyx until I play a bunch of VR games first. I'm afraid Alyx will ruin a majority of games once I play it. :ohdear:

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Wasn’t a big social VR person until Zenith but I’ll be damned if this poo poo doesn’t feel like a mash up of the absolute best and worst parts of 2010-era video games.

Case in point: mobs in Zenith don’t really leash after they aggro. So earlier today I ran into a bunch of high level people kiting elite pirates into the newbie zone and reenacting Kazzak Goes To Stormwind. Was wildly fun since Zenith also has a level scaling mechanic that made all the high levels effectively downrank to level 5 or something while the mobs stay at their original level.

Everyone’s Zerg rushing these pirates, gliding in, frantic calls for heals etc. The whole experience was incredible and I can only describe it as feeling like the best parts of early WoW but in VR.

…and at the same time, there’s a ton of kids hanging around screaming out slurs over voice chat like it’s Xbox Live on the 360.

I don’t care how much Zuck money gets thrown at it; there’s absolutely no way social VR goes mainstream if they can’t come up with an actual solution for these hordes of lovely kids getting shoved into VR by lovely adults because it’s easier than parenting them.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Leathal posted:

Case in point: mobs in Zenith don’t really leash after they aggro. So earlier today I ran into a bunch of high level people kiting elite pirates into the newbie zone and reenacting Kazzak Goes To Stormwind. Was wildly fun since Zenith also has a level scaling mechanic that made all the high levels effectively downrank to level 5 or something while the mobs stay at their original level.

Everyone’s Zerg rushing these pirates, gliding in, frantic calls for heals etc. The whole experience was incredible and I can only describe it as feeling like the best parts of early WoW but in VR.

Were you on Cultist East? This same exact thing happened on my server today. I was playing with my wife and accidentally aggroed this pirate. "Surely it wouldn't follow us to the newbie zone." It sure as hell did, but around 20 of us pecked at it til it died. Though someone said they added a bunch of random pirates today, so it might be happening on every server.

Second on the kids slurring every other word thinking they're hot poo poo.

^^Alyx is to VR as Half-Life 2 was to FPSs is how I see it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hey, if anyone is playing Into The Radius on Index and knows how to disable the capacitive sensor for "grip", please let me know!

I've got very sweaty hands (hyperhidrosis), and the sweat permanently engages the touch sensor. Watertight gloves are a no-go, and moisture-wicking bicycle gloves only go so far before they overload, if the weather's hot. Seriously considering opening up the Index controllers and disabling the sensor permanently, if I can find how to do that...

...but failing that, is there a setting on ITR's config that actually works as advertised for this? Currently I'm using something labelled "force sensor" bound to the grip action, but the capacitive sensor is still being engaged. A tremendous, enormous pain in the backside when at best I have to flap my hand around to let go of a magazine, and at worst I accidentally pick up and yeet my pistol or loaded AK-74 magazine just by passing my hand anywhere near. Seriously considering using a bullpup weapon just so that the magazine is nowhere near where the offhand is gripping...

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Leathal posted:

…and at the same time, there’s a ton of kids hanging around screaming out slurs over voice chat like it’s Xbox Live on the 360.

I don’t care how much Zuck money gets thrown at it; there’s absolutely no way social VR goes mainstream if they can’t come up with an actual solution for these hordes of lovely kids getting shoved into VR by lovely adults because it’s easier than parenting them.

Maybe they can charge a small fee like $10 or something and then revoke their access when they troll or act obnoxious. :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

central dogma posted:

^^Alyx is to VR as Half-Life 2 was to FPSs is how I see it.
That's not fair, Alyx is good

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Medal of Honor VR: the 170GB Experience

The very first time you get your hands on a gun you can murder a countryman and it fades to black like an old SWat game, which made me laugh for a long time.
The game is optimized horribly and goes to poo poo with more than 3 enemies on screen. To be fair boneworks can do that too with like 5+ enemies, but it has really good physics and isn't a AAA game. I have a lowly 2070s and this game maxes out the 8GB gpu memory I have while looking pretty generic. The shooting is pretty good and some of the set pieces are pretty fun, though!

About halfway through and it seems like a perfect fit for a $30 vr game. There is also apparently multiplayer??! but I'm sure that's dead...I'll try that tomorrow maybe.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Downtown Club (commercial project of the V-Speedway free game) is looking nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siaOC0vRrPQ

Quake 3 Quest version coming from Dr Beef's hands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rmbKcA8Wxs&t=356s

Marineverse is going from AppLab to official store
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx3hMTU4Xk0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yes, a new dr beef Port?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Like I mentioned earlier on, I've been having fun with the Outer Wilds DLC in VR, and some moments are really great like when I found out where I'll be spending most of my time, and also a secret area that I spotted thanks to the added depth perception. But anyway, it did make me realize that there's something I want to see in VR that I haven't yet:

What's the most visually spectacular outer space experience I can have on Quest 2/Rift? In Outer Wilds the stars are pretty obviously a texture on a sphere or something like that, and other games I've played aren't really much better. Are there any that look fantastic? Doesn't have to be a game.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Man VR Emu is the coolest thing ever made except every single action is like 20% more annoying to do than it should be.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I still think cruising the galaxy in Elite Dangerous is one of the most immersive and coolest looking things you can do in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Argue posted:

Like I mentioned earlier on, I've been having fun with the Outer Wilds DLC in VR, and some moments are really great like when I found out where I'll be spending most of my time, and also a secret area that I spotted thanks to the added depth perception. But anyway, it did make me realize that there's something I want to see in VR that I haven't yet:

What's the most visually spectacular outer space experience I can have on Quest 2/Rift? In Outer Wilds the stars are pretty obviously a texture on a sphere or something like that, and other games I've played aren't really much better. Are there any that look fantastic? Doesn't have to be a game.

Space Engine is probably what you want.