Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

eviltastic posted:

Man, the way everyone referred to it as a sticker, I was expecting some small "rma#88199 - inspected by worker#4481" kinda thing that wouldn't be any larger than a business card. Then I watched the video. That thing is completely impossible to miss. It's really hard to articulate a sequence of events here where at least one person didn't consciously go "eh, gently caress it".

The only one I can come up with is (1) a board comes back from Gigabyte and is mistakenly treated as repaired when it wasn't, and (2) the RMA tech handling the return assumed the board had gone out to and come back from Gigabyte after being returned by GN, and (3) despite how haphazard a process would have to be for those outcomes to even be possible, nobody ever noticed any systemic issue. ...yeah, that's too much of a stretch.

The flecks of thermal paste he did spot, combined with that being part of the round-and-round with the service reps seem weigh in favor of it being the same board that some RMA tech saw, at least. It kinda comes across like a flowchart/checklist issue. Spotted damage -> spotted sign of use -> assume customer damaged during use, claim rejected, and that's what shows up in documentation that the service rep is seeing.

Basically, Steve has Newegg in some crazy rear end situation where there is genuinely no possible way what they did was above board.

It was either malicious, negligent, or incompetent. There’s no other option. Consider in a normal situation this would have cost an end user $500, it’s unacceptable in all of those scenarios. And knowing Steve, unless he had them in this position, he wouldn’t have published the piece at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
considering the stuff that they've been doing (the move, fan machine, no reason to do video card reviews anymore because there are no video cards, etc.), it's not like GN is super hard up for content and this fell into their lap.

obviously there's some work involved with attempting to get a refund and emails aren't free, but it's not sleeping at the office for 2 days to get the steamdeck review out the door.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How mad is Newegg leadership that someone didn’t peel that loving label off before sending it back to Steve? The fury must be severe.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
That motherboard box was opened by a human being who has never interacted with a motherboard box before Jesus Christ

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

when will people realize that hiding tweets is pinning them at the top

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shipon posted:

when will people realize that hiding tweets is pinning them at the top

Around the same time they realize that trying to bury the story just makes the eventual blowback worse.

So, never.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

jisforjosh posted:

That motherboard box was opened by a human being who has never interacted with a motherboard box before Jesus Christ

Probably the original first buyer (though I wouldn't put it past Newegg to ruin a box at this point) considering that buyer is probably the one who damaged the socket (something I have never done in 20 years of PC building). That poor motherboard never had a chance in life, it's sad to see.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's kind of shocking how many people are leaping at the 'one bad apple' defense for newegg, despite the fact that this went through so many hands and departments that it's impossible for that to be the case, let alone the company culture that promotes this sort of poo poo in the first place. This isn't even talking about newegg's shuffle thing where they are bundling actual trash with GPUs to get sales on otherwise unsellable items

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

It's kind of shocking how many people are leaping at the 'one bad apple' defense for newegg, despite the fact that this went through so many hands and departments that it's impossible for that to be the case, let alone the company culture that promotes this sort of poo poo in the first place. This isn't even talking about newegg's shuffle thing where they are bundling actual trash with GPUs to get sales on otherwise unsellable items
They also didn't watch the videos from Tech Jesus, because he specifically mentions throughout that there's been a slow but steady trickle of comments about these issues over the years, and that since doing the first video their inbox has exploded (which he also points out, takes more effort than simply leaving a comment).

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no, trash is honestly too kind for some of it. they were bundling extremely dangerous, poorly selling gigabyte power supplies that were suspected to be dangerous (until demonstrated totally totally dangerous by the enthusiast press including GN). trash won't burn your house down.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

The more I consider it the more I think there's some kind of e-clout chasing going on with how people will white-knight lovely companies. In a "look at me and my dissenting opinion, so brave!" way.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Warmachine posted:

The more I consider it the more I think there's some kind of e-clout chasing going on with how people will white-knight lovely companies. In a "look at me and my dissenting opinion, so brave!" way.

I think at least with Youtubers it's just like - trying to show that yours is the final word because you've somehow considered more sides of the situation than the last guy. So you get Linus being all ''well it is hard to run a company and we need to weigh that against Steve's incredibly thorough actual investigative journalism''

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Steve finally sells out and unboxes something from Apple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n97ot-gXXVw

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lol of course there’s more. Amazing.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it will be a combination of terrible policy, terrible intent and likely some terrible employees but only the latter will get any blame.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Lol of course there’s more. Amazing.

this is the thing, if they'd done it to literally any other tech youtuber the apology and the refund probably would have been enough and it would have just boiled over and been forgotten. the problem for newegg is that beve sturke is actually a legitimate journalist with ethics and all of that stuff, so when there's actually an issue GN will follow it and report on it no matter how bad it makes newegg seem. the one person they really didn't want to do this to, and they did.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And it's become a big enough deal now that literally every other tech youtuber is talking about it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

And it's become a big enough deal now that literally every other tech youtuber is talking about it.

Is that Barbara Streisand I hear?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Holy poo poo, Newegg BTFO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c_rKnK-uAM

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Haven't watched yet but

Charles posted:

Rip Newegg

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Newegg more like rotten egg.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 13, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pity that they have minimal competition. I feel like this isn't gonna hurt them too much, because often you don't have many alternatives, and it's not like Amazon is a bastion of good.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Pity that they have minimal competition. I feel like this isn't gonna hurt them too much, because often you don't have many alternatives, and it's not like Amazon is a bastion of good.

Most companies are awful and Amazon is among the worst to work at. As a customer, they have been amazing though. The complete opposite of Newegg when it comes to customer service. Do I feel better about buying from Costco, sure, but at least I don't have to be anxious when I receive a defective product from Amazon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yup. I bought my motherboard from them. It had a defective Wi-Fi module. I got a replacement that honored my buying price ($50 savings) without much issue.

A week or two later, another goon in the pc building thread got a borked alder lake mobo from Newegg. And surprise surprise, when they sent it in they were told it had bent pins.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like a large part of amazon's customer friendliness is purely a function of their size. There is no feasible way for them to carefully investigate and monitor every individual return request to make sure each one is above-board, considering how many they must get every day. So large parts of the process are automated by necessity, and so far this has panned out in favor of the customer since the system seems to take their word for the most part. Unless you return too much poo poo, then Amazon might just ban your account outright without warning. The flipside to the automated process is that the algorithm can suddenly decide that oops, you're a bad actor after all and abruptly reverse course to ban your rear end. (and good luck appealing that)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 14, 2022

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Didn’t microcenter used to ship? I vaguely remember they did before the pandemic.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Charles posted:

Do any of you buy from B&H?

When I bought a 2016 MBP* they didn't charge sales tax ($250+) and included a copy of Parallels.

* Cursed Keyboard Edition

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Romes128 posted:

Didn’t microcenter used to ship? I vaguely remember they did before the pandemic.

They only ship stuff at the same price everyone else sells. If you want any kind of deal it’s always been in store only.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Is that Barbara Streisand I hear?

my favorite fact with her house pic is that records show it was downloaded 6 times before the lawyers did the dumb thing. 2/6 from her lawyers. and then thosuands afterward.

fake edit : new favorite fact about this term.

"Mike Masnick of Techdirt coined the term in 2005 after a holiday resort issued a takedown notice to urinal.net (a site dedicated to photographs of urinals) over its use of the resort's name."

piss related origin story.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Well, good luck to GN. I hope they enjoy the vacation

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1493057387791540224

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Local news investigative reporting rear end move lol.

I support GN's cause here, but this is a pretty silly stunt.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's not the first time they've done this, it's usually a sign of maximum Steve rage.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Those "insider emails" he's gotten must be pretty dire.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Local news investigative reporting rear end move lol.

I support GN's cause here, but this is a pretty silly stunt.

It is silly, and I think there is no loving way they let anyone talk to him, unless what he has is REALLY bad.

This is also the kind of dumb poo poo that could get picked up by national news. Especially if the receipts he hasn't let out yet are as damning as he's acting.

Flying a crew + equipment short notice to CA from the east coast is not cheap. And Steve has talked about ROI on video costs often. I have to imagine whatever he has is going to be monstrously bad for Newegg. I could see something crazy like some fed up employee giving Steve the notes from his RMA that show blatant scamming or some kind of memo informing the RMA team to do this on the regular.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah at this point I have some degree of confidence that Steve wouldn't be doing this if he didn't have something that had a non-trivial chance of getting Newegg to respond

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It doesn't seem like the type of move they'd make to build up a bunch of clout as being the trusted source of news to then go and pull an LTT level stunt without having something to back that up.

I'm putting my chips on Steve being out for blood because of something he found.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
could be a stunt. I like Steve a lot but he is kind of easy to get a rise out of? there have been a number of pieces of content where he clearly got into an argument with someone and responded in video form and like...as a fan not in an enormously flattering way.

from his perspective GN literally kept his mother supported; if this had happened when 500 bucks was a lot of money for them we might not have gamers nexus today. he's taking it very very personally I think partially for that reason.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I feel like a large part of amazon's customer friendliness is purely a function of their size. There is no feasible way for them to carefully investigate and monitor every individual return request to make sure each one is above-board, considering how many they must get every day. So large parts of the process are automated by necessity, and so far this has panned out in favor of the customer since the system seems to take their word for the most part. Unless you return too much poo poo, then Amazon might just ban your account outright without warning. The flipside to the automated process is that the algorithm can suddenly decide that oops, you're a bad actor after all and abruptly reverse course to ban your rear end. (and good luck appealing that)

This might be optimistic, but Amazon has enough money to schlepp about that they might feel a permissive returns policy will be worth any losses compared to the bad press (and subsequent losses) from a customer service scandal.

So, basically the opposite of Newegg.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warmachine posted:

This might be optimistic, but Amazon has enough money to schlepp about that they might feel a permissive returns policy will be worth any losses compared to the bad press (and subsequent losses) from a customer service scandal.

last month i ordered a book and after it missed the projected delivery date (this was using amazon prime) amazon went "hey, this is probably lost, do you want a refund" which is amazingly proactive. i still had to talk to 30 seconds to a customer service rep by chat to confirm getting a refund, but it was incredibly painless and weirdly pro-consumer of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Warmachine posted:

yeah that's basically it

I seem to remember there was an expose a while back about how Amazon actually ends up throwing away a lot of products that get returned, because it's too much trouble for them to go through the process of going all the way back and dealing with that whole process: as long as the customer gets their product, and as long as the retailer Amazon is dealing with gets paid, then it's all good as far as Amazon is concerned

of course, this does mean that all that material waste is shifted into becoming an externality, and that's the unsightly problem that gets brushed under the carpet