Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm imagining cities in ruins as Darkseid marches unstoppably across the Earth. Until, finally, he is undone by the unconquerable might of Judomaster. A hiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaa and ten flips later and he's boom tubing his rear end back to Apokolips faster than you can say 'owned, bitch.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Push El Burrito posted:

Instead of Elf With A Gun it's Tiny Man With A Kick.

And flaming hot cheetos.

Oh man, I'd love to see Peacemaker on Harley Quinn. Sure Cena would be down to voice him again.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I liked that moment, don't think holding it with sad crying and nothing else would've really made anything better, we got his emotional pain and turmoil. I also appreciated it because it's pretty awkward when someone dies and someone else is really hurt about it. That gently patting touching line reminded me of situations when ya know, somebody died and you gotta figure out something to do or say and "oh that sucks" isn't enough.
The callback to face muscle exercises was a solid enough gag to interrupt the moment but 'tender touching' 'dude, that's creepy' was kinda weak IMO, and deffo undercut the moment of your protagonist for the last 7 hours killing his own father. I think they should've given that a breath.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The constant undercutting of tension and characters putting a hat on a hat by drawing attention to the ridiculousness of the dialogue is this show's biggest flaw for sure. It can still be funny without constant reminders.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The constant undercutting of tension and characters putting a hat on a hat by drawing attention to the ridiculousness of the dialogue is this show's biggest flaw for sure. It can still be funny without constant reminders.

Yeah I specifically made the comment while watching that Vigilante's line was Gunn just not being able to resist himself. Killing your own father is a serious moment of gravitas and characterization a you don't need to undercut every serious thing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That was my biggest complaint about the Guardians movies too. Every moment of emotion was immediately cut by humor.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
"You shouldn't've killed my mom and squished my walkman" is probably the weakest moment of the most impactful part of Guardians 2 and I have some real mixed emotions on it.

I think James Gunn gets away with a lot of what he does by straddling this line between being genuine and 'hey it's all a joke, and we're all in on it'.

I've seen reactions where people think Harcourt touching Murn in butterfly form as he dies was a gag - which the fact it's interrupted by "KIAI! DING DONG BITCHES!" kinda credits that interpretation. But I also absolutely bought both of those characters, and think that interruption is hitting a very specific mark between the drama and the comedy atmospheres.

There's a VERY precarious un-reality he's balancing, where by all moral standards we'd expect Peacemaker and Vigilante to get the loving death penalty, but can still happy-cry when the CG eagle hugs John Cena.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The death penalty? For what, INTEGRITY?!?!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don’t think anything is being undercut. It’s a stylistic choice, one that Gunn and Waititi in particular specialize in. They package a lot of really dark and poignant themes in ostensibly funny, silly fare. Some people bounce off of that, and that’s fine, but it’s definitely deliberate and well handled.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

VagueRant posted:

I've seen reactions where people think Harcourt touching Murn in butterfly form as he dies was a gag - which the fact it's interrupted by "KIAI! DING DONG BITCHES!" kinda credits that interpretation. But I also absolutely bought both of those characters, and think that interruption is hitting a very specific mark between the drama and the comedy atmospheres.

Agree with you entirely on Gunn's tendency to undercut emotional moments with humor

In this case, however, it's Judomaster. Judomaster can and will show up to gently caress poo poo up at any time and it's always appropriate.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

I've seen reactions where people think Harcourt touching Murn in butterfly form as he dies was a gag - which the fact it's interrupted by "KIAI! DING DONG BITCHES!" kinda credits that interpretation.

I want to see a video where the team is deciding that Harcourt is the new leader but it smash cuts to Judomaster going DING DONG BITCHES and now he's in charge

Ep8 is now a raid on the flamin hot cheeto factory

Phylodox posted:

I don’t think anything is being undercut. It’s a stylistic choice, one that Gunn and Waititi in particular specialize in. They package a lot of really dark and poignant themes in ostensibly funny, silly fare. Some people bounce off of that, and that’s fine, but it’s definitely deliberate and well handled.

I don't mind it in Peacemaker. I noticed it in GotG but it didn't bother me. It completely turned my off Thor: Ragnarok though. Dude just could not let a single serious moment happen without some dumbass annoying quip.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 11, 2022

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Who is giving these quipsters jobs, is what I want to know! Entertainment isn't about quips, it's about, um... professional sports? I'm honestly not sure but I am a quip enjoyer so I'm pretty clueless about these things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don't mind it in Peacemaker. I noticed it in GotG but it didn't bother me. It completely turned my off Thor: Ragnarok though. Dude just could not let a single serious moment happen without some dumbass annoying quip.

It does feel like Gunn's got a better balance for it than any other Marvel regular director. He lets the real genuine moments sit there.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Gunn very clearly has issues with intimacy. I'll forgive it, the rest is gold.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Waitit doesn't really do that though. He plays tragedy straight and lets it breathe. Ragnarok, which is possibly his weakest work ever, just decided that nothing would have any emotional pathos as did What We Do In The Shadows. But in Jojo Rabbit, Eagle vs Shark, etc. he just kind of lets things roll.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought Waititi did it well in Ragnarok. The big moments, like Odin’s death and “I thought the world of you” were given enough room to breathe. The one moment everyone complains about is the “We will rebuild on the foundations” speech which I thought was pretty obviously deliberate, given the film’s themes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Somebody earlier in this thread said they thought Vigilante and Harcourt were gonna get together at first and I also thought that but probably looked too deep into small moments. I'm glad Gunn did not in fact write a guy that looks like himself hooking up with his real life girlfriend.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Tyler Whitney posted:

Yeah, you have to realize the closest acting background analogue (career wise) he has is the Rock. The Rock made it a point of his contract on Hobbs and Shaw that he never be made to look weaker than Statham, so continuity and stunt crews had to choreograph them taking an equal number of punches and hits throughout the movie.

The Rock played an effeminate gay man in Be Cool. Maybe it's just a thing he does with his action movies?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Honestly kinda seems that The Rock disappeared up his own butthole. Beyond making lives harder for the fast and the furious series coordinators, his bullshit about demanding long work hours was used as an object lesson in the IATSE dispute last year. The Dwayne of previous years seemed fairly humble and willing to show rear end for a laugh, but something about that franchise has just kinda turned him into "Meaner Will Smith"

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Sounds like the F&F stuff was equal parts him and Vin being absolute divas when they both should've been happy to be working on one of the highest grossing movie franchises ever

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The Rock played an effeminate gay man in Be Cool. Maybe it's just a thing he does with his action movies?

That was his best role to date

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Only good part of that movie, frankly

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I think Gunn can help himself when he needs to. The opener was gut wrenching without it being interrupted by a joke. Even when young Peacemaker made the worm joke it was just sad and horrifying. Also, I always assumed from the flashbacks it was a training accident or something. The reality is so much much worse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Freddie Stroma is British!?! Holy poo poo, yeah I would not have suspected at all :stare:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Hughmoris posted:

That was his best role to date

Absolutely. Other best roles--

Stone Cold Steve Austin: The Longest Yard
Kevin Nash: Absolutely everything he's in.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Every MCU director does "serious punctuated by quips"

Gunn seems to have an actual talent to create emotional moments in the midst of incredibly absurd settings. That's good. I'll accept all sorts of ridiculous premises as long as the show takes itself seriously, but if you don't take yourself seriously why would I?

That's why Peacemaker works. Because it has you legit feel bad for Cena's character and makes a CG eagle hug actually have emotional impact.

Also I did not expect the not-even-final episode of peacemaker to be better than the finale of Boba Fett

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not surprised that Freddy Stroma is British.

They're the real-life equivalent of Butterflies.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

That was 2005, though. His career has come a long way since then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mob posted:

Kevin Nash: Absolutely everything he's in.

Best Kevin Nash appearance is absolutely as the smartest guy in the entire world of John Wick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8goQyjvcjdo

Though him as The Russian in that one Punisher movie was pretty great too.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Jerusalem posted:

Best Kevin Nash appearance is absolutely as the smartest guy in the entire world of John Wick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8goQyjvcjdo

Though him as The Russian in that one Punisher movie was pretty great too.

He's also in The Longest Yard with Stone Cold and he just loving chews up all the scenery after the inmates replace his steroids with estrogen.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I love that the dye beard insult has its own arc. Like it's central to Peacekeeper realizing he's a toxic bully and trying to be better.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Jaxyon posted:

That's why Peacemaker works. Because it has you legit feel bad for Cena's character and makes a CG eagle hug actually have emotional impact.

Eagly has hugged Peacemaker more than his father ever did.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Freddie Stroma is British!?! Holy poo poo, yeah I would not have suspected at all :stare:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

Somebody earlier in this thread said they thought Vigilante and Harcourt were gonna get together at first and I also thought that but probably looked too deep into small moments. I'm glad Gunn did not in fact write a guy that looks like himself hooking up with his real life girlfriend.

I thought it might be a possibility but I decided it wouldn't be. Figure Harcourt read the background check on Vigilante and she was there when he took out the woman and children butterflies. She knows what he is. However hosed up her headspace might be at some given moment, I could not see Harcourt willing to be literally naked and vulnerable with a lethal sociopath like Vigilante.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Plus she's just way out of that dweeb's league.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TheSwizzler posted:

Agree with you entirely on Gunn's tendency to undercut emotional moments with humor

In this case, however, it's Judomaster. Judomaster can and will show up to gently caress poo poo up at any time and it's always appropriate.

It's never NOT time for Judomaster :colbert:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Apparently there's a push for an extended cut of the first Suicide Squad? Are people really clamoring for more of Leto's terrible Joker?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Probably, they clamored for more of Zack Snyder's terrible take on Batman and Superman

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah the director tweeted something about saying he could do a director's cut during the Snydercut clamor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apparently there's a push for an extended cut of the first Suicide Squad? Are people really clamoring for more of Leto's terrible Joker?

I have no desire to see it, but if I recall from when the film first came out wasn't it suddenly reedited like a month out from release by the company that made the trailer because the trailer got some positive buzz online? Then it shockingly and completely unexpectedly turned out to be that editing for a 2 minute trailer and a 90-minute-film are entirely different things.

Maybe a new cut will remove Amanda Waller giving identical explanations of the entire premise of the Suicide Squad in back-to-back scenes?