Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Y O U G O T T H E R O C K E T L A U N C H E R

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003321968684.html

:eyepop:

also :prepop: at some of the related lenses on offer by the same seller.

how do I mount this to my r5?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
had to cancel shoot tomorrow coz of weather :cry:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

had to cancel shoot tomorrow coz of weather :cry:

put it in a plastic bag, coward!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna do a rain shoot some time but this is just miserable and windy and no way the photos would have any life to them. last couple shoots i’ve done have been overcast and yeah the exposure is good but they’re a little bit lifeless. I just want some sun shine dammit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jenny Agutter posted:

oh wow I am simply shocked they were illegally recording everything Americans do and say, what an unprecedented revelation

e: misunderstood thread, disregard

agreed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
shoot today: took over 1400 photos. only changed the battery right at the end so 90+% from on batt

pretty drat good for mirrorless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am so god drat happy with the quality of the photos with this camera and new lens

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cool pic

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Got a couple decent snaps at the zoo today. Unfortunately, I think my autofocus is acting up... missed a bunch of shots by like an inch or two.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Funeral Snaps

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

Funeral Snaps

🙏

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am tempted to see if maybe I can find someone on fivrr (idk where else to look) for a person who is good at editing photos, throw a few their way, and see what they can do.

Just curious to find our if I am doing an ok job myself or if there’s plenty of room for improvement.

Anyone got any recommendations or warnings to heed?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love photo fuxkkkkk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

1:1

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
1200 shots and didn’t even think about the battery once

1:1 I love how this is totally usable

I am not sure how best to deal with white balance for a cloudy day, like, you can’t really replicate how it felt to be there light wise but the pics with no colour adjustment look, not cold, but just a bit “lifeless”.

I mean I suppose you just warm it up till it looks good
and not too much right? there’s not some greater method for doing this “correctly”? it is all subjective I guess

like I don’t feel like the purpose here is to compensate for the lighting because in some ways the lighting is fine, there’s nothing wrong with it, just subjectively, I don’t want the end result to feel so dreary.

god I talk a lot of poo poo lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and this makes 6 posts in a row :smugmrgw:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Uh...I think that guy over there is taking pictures of you"

"Oh my God, gross, where"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol just coz you’re used to it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

1200 shots and didn’t even think about the battery once

1:1 I love how this is totally usable

I am not sure how best to deal with white balance for a cloudy day, like, you can’t really replicate how it felt to be there light wise but the pics with no colour adjustment look, not cold, but just a bit “lifeless”.

I mean I suppose you just warm it up till it looks good
and not too much right? there’s not some greater method for doing this “correctly”? it is all subjective I guess

like I don’t feel like the purpose here is to compensate for the lighting because in some ways the lighting is fine, there’s nothing wrong with it, just subjectively, I don’t want the end result to feel so dreary.

god I talk a lot of poo poo lol

looks good echi, i would warm it up a bit but that's just my taste. altho there's probably a reason people like to shoot during the golden hour

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i too would warm it up, and futz with the contrast and saturation sliders. looks like it was shot on a gray overcast day. maybe it was, but we have the technology to make it seem otherwise

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, maybe it’s coz I am the one doing it, but you can only warm it up so much before it looks “fake”, as in you can’t really make it look like it was shot at the golden hour no matter how much you want.

I had to come to that conclusion a while ago, that there’s a reason you do shoot at golden hour is because it creates a light you can’t really just dial in if it was shot overcast like it was.

this is the part of photography I really feel that I could do with some better education. It is all subjective of course, but I want to educate that subjective judgment

I searched on fivrr for a bit hoping to find someone to do some high quality edits to a few shots just to see what someone could do with my raw data, and see how close (or not) I am to getting the most out of my photos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here's a few minutes in photoshop. i am not a professional portrait retoucher or anything, but i think it looks better.

minor curve adjustment to boost the skin tones, increase contrast, and brighten image overall; color balance to add yellow (enhances the hair and gold frames) and remove magenta (redness in skin), also giving a slight warming effect; mask in the hat from the original photo, because it's close to washed out already and the curved version blows it out; apply my secret magic sharpening technique for crispness. the sharpening might be overboard for a glamour shot but eh that's a personal taste thing. i kinda like grain.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 13, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
very nice. it’s extremely close to the kind of thing I’ve done, but this is where the subjectivity comes in right?

the biggest challenge I face is that I can’t settle on a setting, I’ll warm it up and like it but then cool it a bit and prefer that then warm and oh poo poo that’s better but with temp and tint and contrast all at the same time. what a doofus

thanks for the time. I like the result

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i say do whatever you want, it's your art. sometimes cool is nice, sometimes warm, whatever.

i would try to pick a theme for any given set of photos though. if you make a set where one is warm, one is cool, one is black and white, one is hdr, etc it starts to look like one of those 90s photoshop filter galleries, and you definitely don't want to do something subtly different to each one because then it just looks like you hosed up.

decide something like "the theme today is yellow and orange" and run with it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah for sure. and I think taking an angle rather than trying to be neutral is the best idea, as far as trying to stand out as a photography at least. the shots you hand over is another thing altogether

thanks for the input

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sagebrush posted:

decide something like "the theme today is yellow and orange" and run with it
Sometimes if I have a really good idea that breaks the "rules" I'm using for that set, I duplicate the image and start up a second set and see if I unlock some new ideas doing things that way on other ones.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
edit: ^^ gd that's a great photo. your eye for composition is so good

the way that my eye adjusts to whatever i am looking at (eg eventually things that are way too warm look fine if they become the baseline) makes it so hard for me to get a good feel for how to properly tweak photographs

getting up helps a lot but it would take me a week to do a single shoot if I got up everytime i felt like i was slipping

sometimes (especially with birds) I'll just google up a color reference and work towards it instead but i long for the days where i can trust my own eye/the indicators

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

edit: ^^ gd that's a great photo. your eye for composition is so good

thank you, that means a lot

quote:

the way that my eye adjusts to whatever i am looking at (eg eventually things that are way too warm look fine if they become the baseline) makes it so hard for me to get a good feel for how to properly tweak photographs

yeah feeling this. the eye adapts to colour changes so well. sometimes I have to export my photo and look at it on my phone and when I do sometimes i’m shocked at how too-far I’ve gone in some direction.

one thing I need to keep in mind is that often it’s only a slim part of your audience that would even notice, and to accordingly keep effort to outcome ratios in check

j o y c e
Jan 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
somehow is able to walk in a big box store after a 5 year contract with the NSA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7074919161197088001

just slowing zooming in, gently caress modern cameras rules

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
never seen so many people at the beach in the morning before

clouds are glorious man

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it seems like you consistently underexpose just a little.

that's a totally fine way to shoot to avoid blowing out the highlights, but you gotta go back in and correct it afterwards :cheeky:

also i'm the airplane

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if it’s my “monitor”, because I agree with you, but only once I view things on my phone, coz I agree with you looking at it right now, but it didn’t look underexposed at home. (ie i’ve edited the exposure in lightroom to where I’ve wanted it)

it’s not about not blowing out highlights however, it’s about maintaining as much colour as I can, there’s a sweet spot where things have the most colour before they trend toward white as you increase exposure, and a lot of people overexpose

and the last thing being the subjective attempt at recreating what it was like to be there, because it was dark ya know? facing away from the sun during a sunrise. but i’m sure someone could argue against this point.

regardless thanks for the advice because it’s good to know.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
enable highlight alert / blinkies, op, if you're worried about overexposure clipping details

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m not at all, and this camera has such a good dynamic range I’m never concerned about accidentally clipping something away

regardless having a histogram on screen when you’re composing means you never struggle to capture what you want.

I’m also realising I’ve been so worried to overexpose my shots that i’ve underexposed too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Crime on a Dime posted:

enable highlight alert / blinkies, op, if you're worried about overexposure clipping details

Its been a few years since I kept up with camera tech, but it used to be that the camera would base the zebra / blinks on the camera JPG, so unless you have a massive patch of blink you can probably still recover from RAW processing (unless you're one of those jpg-only SOTC weirdos, second only to 'all natural light' as a code for 'don't want to learn processing / lighting')

Blinkies might work from the RAW data now, so YMMV.