Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Still mad about forrest gump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Parkingtigers posted:

I dunno, I could kind of see the logic in the most popular movie of the year being included by default. There’s 10 spots for best picture, having one of them each year given to the biggest film as a hat tip to their popularity won’t break things.

It’s not like the highest grossing films each year are all Paul Blart Mall Cop, they’re usually *at worst* competently made genre flicks. I’d argue that even the worst MCU films have as much artistic merit as loving Crash.

Given how much complaining is done about how “obscure” Oscar movies are by people who only care about it for about 1 week a year, the highest grossing movie in the country has been nominated more than you’d think, especially since the expansion. Avatar, Toy Story 3, American Sniper and Black Panther all fit that criteria, which means 1/3 of the time since the expansion (excluding 2020 for obvious reasons). And honestly the 2000s were sort of an outlier in that sense, if you go back to the 1990s and before the most popular movie being nominated for BP was probably right around the 1/3 marker, maybe slightly less owing to the fewer slots.

But also I don’t think “competently made” should be enough for BP. Movies like the MCU, Harry Potter, Star Wars have the capacity to reach higher than that and their best do but I don’t think that Endgame or the last HP or Catching Fire or Force Awakens should have been nominated.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BP is the producers award for best business decision. Cinematography award is where I get mad if I have to.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Given how much complaining is done about how “obscure” Oscar movies are by people who only care about it for about 1 week a year, the highest grossing movie in the country has been nominated more than you’d think, especially since the expansion. Avatar, Toy Story 3, American Sniper and Black Panther all fit that criteria, which means 1/3 of the time since the expansion (excluding 2020 for obvious reasons). And honestly the 2000s were sort of an outlier in that sense, if you go back to the 1990s and before the most popular movie being nominated for BP was probably right around the 1/3 marker, maybe slightly less owing to the fewer slots.

But also I don’t think “competently made” should be enough for BP. Movies like the MCU, Harry Potter, Star Wars have the capacity to reach higher than that and their best do but I don’t think that Endgame or the last HP or Catching Fire or Force Awakens should have been nominated.

Return of the King was nominated and won for the achievement that was the whole LOTR trilogy, even though the first two movies were better. I could see Endgame being nominated in the same way as the culmination of the whole MCU project.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 13, 2022

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Return of the King was nominated and won for the achievement that was the whole LOTR trilogy, even though the first two movies were better. I could see Endgame being nominated in the same way as the culmination of the whole MCU proj

Yeah, and RotK is the only movie of the three that I can’t defend to the death because it has issues. It was still ok to give it the awards for the project as a whole, which was an unprecedented gamble at the time making three movies that way.

Endgame is similarly flawed, coming as it does after the much tighter Infinity War. Absolutely sticks the landing though, both of that film and of the decade long 20 movie project that led to it. Coming in the same year where both Game of Thrones and Star Wars spectacularly poo poo the bed, it felt even more amazing.

I’m an unashamed MCU fanboy though, and even I can see why these films are just a bit too populist and often too solidly fun but decidedly non-life changing to make them not awards worthy most of the time. Endgame would have been the time to go “you know what, 20 movies with only a couple of legit clunkers amongst them, here’s a trophy for the collective body of work” and give the genre flicks people a moment to briefly delude ourselves that our dumb movies about punchmans actually matter.

The films aren’t high art in the same way the comics they are based upon aren’t. Much deeper flicks to give awards to and get angry over. I’m just saying that the very nature of the movie industry, and the nature of awards shows, at some point they’ll feel obligated to recognise the overall achievement but there won’t be another “ok, that makes sense” opportunity for years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I have an even more basic opinion: one BP nom for Dark Knight would have cut a lot of these arguments off at the knees, and I don’t think that anyone out there would claim that TDK is not a better movie than The Reader. WALL-E is better than both of them but you could easily slot it into Benjamin Button’s slot with little trouble, and the animation debate is slightly different because they made their own category so they can’t claim that they’re not being acknowledged in some way. Maybe we should just have an Oscar for Biggest Movie and we can just install a giant permanent statue in Walt Disney Studios Headquarters since I don’t see any movies not made by them ever being the biggest movie in the world again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oof, remembering the king's speech

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
see its called that because the climax of the film is the king making a speech, but also that the king has some speech problems

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The year The Matrix, Eyes Wide Shut, Fight Club, and Being John Malkovich came out.

Such a crazy good year goddamn.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
NOPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In8fuzj3gck

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I just binged Los Espookys and the season long joke of the mystical being who really wants to watch the king's speech really is the best way to describe how of little impact that movie is

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

see its called that because the climax of the film is the king making a speech, but also that the king has some speech problems
I honestly never got the double meaning. Even brain dead Hollywood movies are too clever for me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

God loving drat that is a great trailer

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

nice trailer. looks better than us

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Ohh hell yeah.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/1492769840414982144?s=21

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah man that ticks all my boxes

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Looks like Jordan Peele has tapped into the magic that made Signs so effective.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love it when a UFO movie actually plays into the modern mythology of it all rather than ignoring it. Fingers crossed this is a take that balances that with evolving the genre, like Close Encounters did. I'm hype.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Hell yeah that looks good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Greys tap into that same uncanny realm as Slenderman, in that they’re inscrutable and don’t do anything overtly threatening. Also they were both originally inspired by mass media. Really, they’re underused in horror.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

Greys tap into that same uncanny realm as Slenderman, in that they’re inscrutable and don’t do anything overtly threatening. Also they were both originally inspired by mass media. Really, they’re underused in horror.

When I was a kid they scared me more than anything else. Hated seeing the cover of Communion at the bookstore and I don't think any movie scene bothered me more than the one in Fire in the Sky.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

Greys tap into that same uncanny realm as Slenderman, in that they’re inscrutable and don’t do anything overtly threatening.

If you don't consider being abducted and anal probed to be "overtly threatening", anyway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

When I was a kid they scared me more than anything else. Hated seeing the cover of Communion at the bookstore and I don't think any movie scene bothered me more than the one in Fire in the Sky.

For me it's the idea around how impersonal it all is. They aren't malevolent, they're just field scientists tagging and examining primitive lifeforms. If it involves vivisection with no anesthetic, well it's nothing personal and it's not like it will impact the population as a whole.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

For me it's the idea around how impersonal it all is. They aren't malevolent, they're just field scientists tagging and examining primitive lifeforms. If it involves vivisection with no anesthetic, well it's nothing personal and it's not like it will impact the population as a whole.

I can't remember where I heard it exactly, maybe Dark Skies, but I liked the idea that the abductors weren't their best and brightest and instead were the equivalent of miscreants or rednecks or something like that. It's just they're so far advanced that even that is way beyond us.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For me, it was because they struck my childhood mind as more plausible than bigfoot or ghosts when I was up watching Sightings and Paranormal Borderline on a dark Saturday in November.

Sightings was probably some of the most effective horror of the 1990s. It has to be a measurable influence on the development of the found footage genre.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

been awhile since I found myself expecting a new movie.

:aaaaa:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWzlQ2N6qqg

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's weird, I swear the version during the pre-game commercial on TV had a shot of Zombie Dr Strange but I don't see it here.

Looks absolutely bonkers. And with Raimi doing this one I feel glimmer of hope.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Proteus Jones posted:

That's weird, I swear the version during the pre-game commercial on TV had a shot of Zombie Dr Strange but I don't see it here.

There is a second version, yeah.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The voice at about 1:18 in. Welp, here we go.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

The voice at about 1:18 in. Welp, here we go.

Patrick Stewart

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I AM GRANDO posted:

Patrick Stewart

I didn’t intend my post as a question, just so we’re clear.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I didn’t intend my post as a question, just so we’re clear.

I’m just not clear on who it is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I AM GRANDO posted:

Oh?

I believe the strong implication is that it’s Professor X. Multiverse, and all.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Obv this is a crossover with David Lynch's Dune.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

thrawn527 posted:

Oh?

I believe the strong implication is that it’s Professor X. Multiverse, and all.

It’s probably a multi-verse/MCU take on the Illuminati

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Lastdancer posted:

I can't remember where I heard it exactly, maybe Dark Skies, but I liked the idea that the abductors weren't their best and brightest and instead were the equivalent of miscreants or rednecks or something like that. It's just they're so far advanced that even that is way beyond us.

Reminds me of Under the Skin, the book. The movie and book are so different it's really hard to compare them, but the book deals with way more practical and mundane aspects of aliens preying on humans.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's kind of the mcu to finally tap the director of the greatest superhero movie (Darkman) even if this looks about typical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If The Classic isn’t in this, I’m done with all disney productions forever.