Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Considering she did pretty much nothing and had barely any character to speak of, I'm struggling to see how Jennifer Beal's character could be anyone's favorite. Unless you have a Twilek fetish, which y'know, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Star Wars is about fleshy hair nubs instead of hair fetishes just as Star Trek is about pointy ear and forehead bump fetishes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Just Chamber posted:

Considering she did pretty much nothing and had barely any character to speak of, I'm struggling to see how Jennifer Beal's character could be anyone's favorite. Unless you have a Twilek fetish, which y'know, fair enough.

She had more presence of character than Boba Fett and could actually carry subtle nuance in her gestures and expressions. You can tell she's running that Cantina and probably a dozen side-gigs out the back just by the way she's passing off instructions to her staff and making peace with the new Daimjo because the less reason he has to stay, the less he's gonna see. All in the handful of scenes she had.

It's a good starting point for a character that deserved development instead of being the arbitrary sad death for the series.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She had more presence of character than Boba Fett and could actually carry subtle nuance in her gestures and expressions. You can tell she's running that Cantina and probably a dozen side-gigs out the back just by the way she's passing off instructions to her staff and making peace with the new Daimjo because the less reason he has to stay, the less he's gonna see. All in the handful of scenes she had.

It's a good starting point for a character that deserved development instead of being the arbitrary sad death for the series.

She also failed miserably the one time she tried tried to do something which was talk down Chewblacca.

e: now I am remembering Boba just sitting there at the entrance and not doing anything. Worth every penny of that tribute he gets lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Always let the Wookiee win

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She also failed miserably the one time she tried tried to do something which was talk down Chewblacca.

e: now I am remembering Boba just sitting there at the entrance and not doing anything. Worth every penny of that tribute he gets lmao

To be fair, that was clearly a punchline waiting to happen and she made a good enough go of the scene to give you just the briefest pause and wonder if he might not... nah, didn't think he would stop :gibs:.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Wasn't her "stuff Boba's helmet full of money" trick supposed to be a part of the ambush later? Or was that just fanfiction? I can't tell anymore :(

Although the ambush didn't work either, I guess!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Rappaport posted:

Wasn't her "stuff Boba's helmet full of money" trick supposed to be a part of the ambush later? Or was that just fanfiction? I can't tell anymore :(

Just fan theory, I think. The other twilek waiters make the same offer to the pykes (to take their helmets for "cleaning") right before the pykes blow the place up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rappaport posted:

It wasn't. Because that actually might've been interesting.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

What’s the significance of the scar? I’m missing something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

TK-42-1 posted:

just character building

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TK-42-1 posted:

Give wookipeeedia a few weeks

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazo posted:

Star Wars is fundamentally a drama of progressive liberals overcoming fascist Space Nazis. Even when Lucas highlighted this by naming one of the first Episode I onscreen villains Nute Gunray, prequel-loving kids still think Rey is a "Mary Sue" and Gina Carano is being treated unfairly.

As always, Star Wars fans don't actually like or understand Star Wars.
I mean, when I found out that the Ewoks were stand-ins for the Viet Cong that just made me even more :smug: about liking them TBH.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That was actually a great scene, because she was doing extremely well until she hit on his issues regarding debts.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Here's the thing after rewatching ewoks the cartoon.

The moon of Endor is a deathworld and one that puts Tatooine to shame.

You got:

The great witch Morag to put most nightsisters to shame.

Dandelion Warriors: plant dudes that spray killer thorns.

Duloks: Whom are what if Grinches were a species.

Frosch: carnivorous, reptilian creatures that look like what Paris and Janeway turned into in that one voyager episode. :p

Flying Snakes

Fungus: that is both sharp and poisonous.

Gupins: Tricksters shapeshifters that can fly when they mature.

Hanadak: Bigfoot

Humming Peeper: Alien humming birds.

Jindas: travelers

korrina: essentially hyenas that don't laugh.

Kete: alien large bees

Lantern bird:

Maramu: horned kangeroos

Mantigrues: Also known as Condor Dragons that are essentialy that.

Munyip: ewok lemeurs.

Phlogs: Giants that push trees over like grass.

Reap: Skinny spider creatures

A Rock Wizard that shows George watched the Neverending Story.

Skandits: an entire species of Sly Coopers.

Stranglethorn: killer venus fly trap like creatures

Trome: wrestling Gnomes

Tree Goats: which are goats that climb trees. :D

Wistie: essentially fey fireflies that are serious firestarters

Yuzzums which look suspiciously like those blue yakman from 60'a spiderman, who ride Steeders...er...Rakazzak beast

and the fact is:

You got at least one person who can talk to animals and is probably a force wielder (Teebo).

Ganga Sap - aka tanglewood bags

Levitation potions that were used by comic relief.

Love potions

Sleep spells in action

Soul Trees

The Tree of light

Valley of Floating Trees (screw you Avatar, Ewoks did it first)

Shadowstone/Sunstar cribbed probably from Blackstar

and that's where I'm stopping. no movies and no 2nd season because darn it that took a while.

With that being said, what you do is the following:

Queen Kneesa rules this new era with her consort Wicket.

The current shaman is Teebo and his wife Latara (who also has a few tricks) has replaced the former arch shaman Logray (who was pants wetting terrifying).

After the blowing up of the second death star, they are dealing with the after-effects. Not only the ecological damage but also the fact they learned the new skills and techniques.

Yes, I want them to Legend of Korra the heck out of the next generation. :p

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I played Star Wars Galaxies back in the day, and while doing some missions on Endor, I somehow aggro'ed a big-rear end spider that literally chased me up and around an Ewok treehouse, like we were doing a Benny Hill chase. So I definitely agree that Endor is a forest death planet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's why ewoks make the best space marines

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you've every played SWTOR then you know that Treek is not to be hosed with.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ewoks tear assing through the stars in reappropriated Empire ships decked out Mad Max style.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TK-42-1 posted:

It means she's tough and can survive explosions

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

TK-42-1 posted:

The death star plans were hidden there for awhile

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The death star plans were hidden there for awhile

The second Death Star plans. Due to poor information about the specific location of the plans, many Bothans died trying to get into Garza Fwip's flashpants.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

TK-42-1 posted:

No one on the face of the earth even noticed the scar until Jennifer Beals mentioned it in an interview after her character was killed off.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think Beal was really that effervescent or scintillating and Temurah Morrison is acting the hell out of any scene where he’s not wearing his helmet. Ming Na Wen is delivering her lines as though she is on children’s daytime preschool show, and of the entire cast, she never felt ‘real’ to me. I can’t tell if that’s how she’s playing Fennec or if she just really just thinks everyone she’s interacting with is a toddler or what, but I hope the next time we see them I hope she’s not constantly relegated to explaining the plot to the other characters while Boba walks around in a bathrobe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hanging the mayor was the only interesting thing Fennec did.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm not really a fan of some of these "art" shots because all they did was plop an oil painting photoshop filter on photographs.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

So was Danny Trejo randomly seeming like he and the Rancor were scheming something I imagined? Kinda had no bearing on the finale.

As far as a show that furthered stuff along in the Mando universe this show was fine, but ultimately it was a much lesser show/season than its predecessors.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

BodyMassageMachine posted:

So was Danny Trejo randomly seeming like he and the Rancor were scheming something I imagined? Kinda had no bearing on the finale.

Yea, he was just being sincere. I never got "this is a double cross" vibes from him, but I could see how other people could misinterpret it.

"Don't worry, he'll be back!" vs "Don't worry, he'll be back, heh heh"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I never once got the impression that Danny was anything other than a nice Rancor dude. :shrug:

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Jerkface posted:

Yea, he was just being sincere. I never got "this is a double cross" vibes from him, but I could see how other people could misinterpret it.

"Don't worry, he'll be back!" vs ”Don't worry, he'll be back, heh heh"

Bolding mine; the whole set up of the Rancor (and Danny Trejo) being a gift from the Hutts and the way that scene wrapped made me think a double-cross was coming but :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It was a double-double-cross. That's what they wanted you to think!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JazzFlight posted:

I'm not really a fan of some of these "art" shots because all they did was plop an oil painting photoshop filter on photographs.

They don’t tho but ok

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CelticPredator posted:

They don’t tho but ok
Some of the post credits pictures are absolutely done with cheap filters. Maybe it’s the concept artist cheating a bit, but it’s definitely not hand done.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
None of those look like photoshops but go off.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My favorite credits painting was the one with boba standing in front of the slave 1 in Jabba’s landing bay because I could just imagine the artist getting all excited to be commissioned with making it, being told that Boba doesn’t wears his armor in the episode, and painted him in the armor anyway.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Burning_Monk posted:

None of those look like photoshops but go off.
Okay, just looking at that bunch of artwork, it's specifically the Alzmann ones, only his. He runs photos and 3d renders through a filter that amplifies the edges and texture on everything. It's very clear to see and isn't that impressive to me, it looks super cheap.

The other artists are legit painting everything.

EDIT: I mean, maybe this convo is more about subjective taste, I just feel like his brand of digital collage and quick 3D render concept art isn't as visually pleasing as the others. I'd argue that it's great for getting an idea to the production team quickly, but not as something I'd frame on my wall.

I found an article where he mentions that he does "3D renders and paintover" from reference shots.
https://www.muddycolors.com/2021/06/shotdeck-as-a-resource-for-making-your-concepts-more-photographic/

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 14, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Its just concept art :confused:

Especially for tatooine I wouldnt be surprised if they composited shots from the OT or PT tatooine and drew in / modelled the concept they were going for.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm just kind of :allears: at the idea that they shoot the scene, take a nice clear screenshot, and then throw some photoshop filters over it as concept art for... shooting the scene.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They linked to an article showing that guy SPECIFICALLY does that. You can easily see the filter look in them.

"Here is the first frame that came up. I used it as reference to make a little 3D render and paintover to show you how I might use something like this for a concept piece."

So this artist is using renders and art then does a paintover on them.

Get out out of their rear end.

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears: Jesus christ.

Like, it's a thing and super noticeable:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

They linked to an article showing that guy SPECIFICALLY does that. You can easily see the filter look in them.

"Here is the first frame that came up. I used it as reference to make a little 3D render and paintover to show you how I might use something like this for a concept piece."

So this artist is using renders and art then does a paintover on them.

Get out out of their rear end.

Well I think its kind of weird to act that way about concept art. From the way they complained it seems like they think the post credits images are supposed to be like real art pieces done to celebrate the episode rather than the concept art that eventually became the episode. That specific guy's style seems to make sense for creating CONCEPT ART. Like why get bent about it