Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
One of my favorite moments from Alyx was that whole ending sequence where you're just walking through non-Euclidean Eastern European apartments. Not a single enemy or shot fired and I didn't care, throwing an ashtray over my head and watching it switch gravity to the floor/ceiling above me was too cool. I'd take lamps and hold them up to see how high they'd reach before reversing gravity.

That part with the bent, sloping floor kind of made me sick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m replaying the Forest with a friend in VR and seeing as this is our second time, we’re skipping the “getting to know the island” phase and going right into full blown crazy.

Send more cannibals, our bone chandelier isn’t going to make itself. Pass the leg soup.

10/10 fun.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Last but not least, Alyx still has the absolute best way of picking up items from around the world with the whole flick-catch thing. It's not only much more convenient than manually bending over to pick stuff up, it turns a normally uninteresting gameplay interaction that you'd never spend a though on into something actually fun and rewarding.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

clemhfandango posted:

So what's the consensus on Zenith? Worth the dosh? Never played any of the other VR MMOs

I'm super curious how it will develop and do not regret the purchase.

However, there's a lot of refinement that needs to happen. If it were a pancake game, it would be a 3/10.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've had (and continue to have) fun with Zenith, particulary the gliding movement and exploring to find the shinies BUT if you go into it expecting some deep MMO experience you would be disappointed. It really reminds me of the early era of online games like the original Phantasy Star Online and countless other forgetten about 2000s era MMOs.

clemhfandango
Jun 20, 2020

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've had (and continue to have) fun with Zenith, particulary the gliding movement and exploring to find the shinies BUT if you go into it expecting some deep MMO experience you would be disappointed. It really reminds me of the early era of online games like the original Phantasy Star Online and countless other forgetten about 2000s era MMOs.

Yeah when I saw the gameplay videos of it, it gives me strong PSO vibes from the art style alone. Like Inzombiac said though, it looks fairly barebones right now. I might go ahead and grab it and sit on it for now, I know it will eventually become a product that I'll dump a lot of time into.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Alyx managed to nail throwing well. In most VR games, throwing doesn't work intuitively. Either something drops to the ground way too fast, or releases from a throw weird in one way or another. In Alyx it managed to pretty much just work, which was much more notable than it seemed at the time.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Minecraft VR really sticks out to me as a game that nails the sense of scale. Climbing a giant mountain and looking down really does make you feel like you’re up high, even though the world doesn’t look realistic, the heights and scale do.

I don’t even like Minecraft and it was still very impressive.

The blocks feel a bit too big to me in Minecraft VR. Like you're not even that much taller than a single blocks. Since they are meant to be 1m I guess that makes sense, but it doesn't feel that way in pancake mode to me.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I found Alyx very constrained. I got frustrated with the puzzles, because you had to solve it exactly as expected and nothing else. Jamming doors open with boxes is forbidden, creativity is not allowed. It felt like a theme park ride, not a real experience.

Not to mention you can't put a half-empty mag in your backpack, as the floating yellow text will tell you. Just like real life!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OK I'm not sure whether it's the game or my setup but it feels like when I launch Sairento through Airlink there's a 50% chance of it thinking I'm the tiniest man in the world. My Guardian is fine, most other games guess my height roughly correctly (although Blade and Sorcery initially thought I was 4 foot 10), Sairento specifically just seems to think I'm a gnome.

This isn't even really a complaint because running around at knee height is absolutely hilarious and sometimes it also thinks I'm constantly crouching to slide so I'm just an endlessly sliding little kneecap slicer

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

I found Alyx very constrained. I got frustrated with the puzzles, because you had to solve it exactly as expected and nothing else. Jamming doors open with boxes is forbidden, creativity is not allowed. It felt like a theme park ride, not a real experience.

Not to mention you can't put a half-empty mag in your backpack, as the floating yellow text will tell you. Just like real life!

Half Life have always been theme park rides. It's just hat maybe that style is a bit more jarring in VR, where you feel 'there'.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

Half Life have always been theme park rides. It's just hat maybe that style is a bit more jarring in VR, where you feel 'there'.

True enough

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've just dipped my toe into Elite Dangerous VR with the cockpit mod, and holy poo poo. I've only just managed to finish the first tutorial, but I'm already in awe. The size and detail of the cockpits really works in its favour. It really impresses the scale of your ship on you, especially when you do stuff like reach out, flip a switch to open up hardpoints, and then see and almost feel the big guns clunking out right in front of you.

That said, goddamn is it fiddly. Elite already got a significant amount of fiddliness just by default, and the mod adds another level to it. Binding something to a virtual joystick button takes like five separate operations in the right order, and the mod occasionally ends up bugging out in unexpected ways. But once you've actually got it all set up it's genuinely great, you can have holographic buttons for very nearly all your ship's functions arrayed around you with self-explanatory icons and tooltips. For a mod, that is an absolutely staggering achievement. It's an outright better VR implementation than what a lot of actual paid games manage (looking at you, Hitman).

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Perestroika posted:

I've just dipped my toe into Elite Dangerous VR with the cockpit mod, and holy poo poo. I've only just managed to finish the first tutorial, but I'm already in awe. The size and detail of the cockpits really works in its favour. It really impresses the scale of your ship on you, especially when you do stuff like reach out, flip a switch to open up hardpoints, and then see and almost feel the big guns clunking out right in front of you.

That said, goddamn is it fiddly. Elite already got a significant amount of fiddliness just by default, and the mod adds another level to it. Binding something to a virtual joystick button takes like five separate operations in the right order, and the mod occasionally ends up bugging out in unexpected ways. But once you've actually got it all set up it's genuinely great, you can have holographic buttons for very nearly all your ship's functions arrayed around you with self-explanatory icons and tooltips. For a mod, that is an absolutely staggering achievement. It's an outright better VR implementation than what a lot of actual paid games manage (looking at you, Hitman).

Ooh that sounds like fun! I just yesterday bought Elite Dangerous myself. Got a link?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Ooh that sounds like fun! I just yesterday bought Elite Dangerous myself. Got a link?

Sure, this is the one: https://github.com/dantman/elite-vr-cockpit. The documentation is pretty good and should cover most of it. Note that the holographic buttons automatically press whatever button their respective function is mapped to, so you don't need to manually bind them like you need to do with the joystick buttons.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I think that's the fundamental disconnect between people who really like it and people who are more "meh" towards it. If you're looking for Half Life game in VR, they executed that on that idea really well. If you're looking for a game that is a really good fit for VR and plays to its strengths, I think Alyx isn't that successful.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Perestroika posted:

Sure, this is the one: https://github.com/dantman/elite-vr-cockpit. The documentation is pretty good and should cover most of it. Note that the holographic buttons automatically press whatever button their respective function is mapped to, so you don't need to manually bind them like you need to do with the joystick buttons.

Great! Thank you! :D

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice

Hyperlynx posted:

Hey, if anyone is playing Into The Radius on Index and knows how to disable the capacitive sensor for "grip", please let me know!

I've got very sweaty hands (hyperhidrosis), and the sweat permanently engages the touch sensor. Watertight gloves are a no-go, and moisture-wicking bicycle gloves only go so far before they overload, if the weather's hot. Seriously considering opening up the Index controllers and disabling the sensor permanently, if I can find how to do that...

...but failing that, is there a setting on ITR's config that actually works as advertised for this? Currently I'm using something labelled "force sensor" bound to the grip action, but the capacitive sensor is still being engaged. A tremendous, enormous pain in the backside when at best I have to flap my hand around to let go of a magazine, and at worst I accidentally pick up and yeet my pistol or loaded AK-74 magazine just by passing my hand anywhere near. Seriously considering using a bullpup weapon just so that the magazine is nowhere near where the offhand is gripping...

I struggled with this through my entire playthrough, and even the recent patches haven't greatly improved it. I ended up loosening the controller's knuckle straps and it did improve things even with damp hands. Real shame since it's an amazing game but hard to get immersed when your guy is either deathgripping everything or an absolute butterfingers.

The Index's grip sensor definitely needs it's default behaviour or threshold tweaked, I've played a few games that were obviously developed for different VR controllers that have the opposite problem where you need to squeeze the gently caress out of the controller for it to register.

As for experiencing different heights in VR, I did the usual tutorial thing of remaking my lounge room in Blender off real measurements, but things still felt off when testing it in VRChat. Eventually realised the default avatar is like 20cm taller than me.

My takeaway from that experience is that it's hosed up how tall people can just reach up and touch the ceiling if they feel like it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Perestroika posted:

Oooh, I wonder if you can use this in conjunction with a hotas? I’d like to steer the ship with it and still have a bunch of floating buttons for all of my functions.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

I struggled with this through my entire playthrough, and even the recent patches haven't greatly improved it. I ended up loosening the controller's knuckle straps and it did improve things even with damp hands. Real shame since it's an amazing game but hard to get immersed when your guy is either deathgripping everything or an absolute butterfingers.

The Index's grip sensor definitely needs it's default behaviour or threshold tweaked, I've played a few games that were obviously developed for different VR controllers that have the opposite problem where you need to squeeze the gently caress out of the controller for it to register.

Good news! You can go in and edit that pressure and how it functions on a per game basis!

Stride has this issue with the grip for me. Community profiles fixed it. Theres probably one for that game too. Check.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have to say that the Foo Fighters “concert” was pretty good. I was expecting a live show that they just cut into so I was surprised when there was no other crowd than the VR people.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

As for experiencing different heights in VR, I did the usual tutorial thing of remaking my lounge room in Blender off real measurements, but things still felt off when testing it in VRChat. Eventually realised the default avatar is like 20cm taller than me.

My takeaway from that experience is that it's hosed up how tall people can just reach up and touch the ceiling if they feel like it.

EbolaIvory posted:

Good news! You can go in and edit that pressure and how it functions on a per game basis!

Stride has this issue with the grip for me. Community profiles fixed it. Theres probably one for that game too. Check.

There are two sensors in the Index grip, as far as I understand. One is a touch sensor, like on a phone screen, and one is a force sensor. I don't have any issues with the force sensor, so reducing the tension on the strap wouldn't help. My issue is that, much like it does on my phone if I don't wipe it, my sweat stays on the handles and sets off the touch sensor.

I've tried changing the ITR bindings to use only the force sensor and not the capacitive, and it merrily ignores what I asked for and includes the capacitive sensor anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, Facebook actually sent me a replacement CV1 headset and it looks brand new other than a different facial interface.
I was not expecting that.

Living in a country with reasonable consumer protection laws probably had something to do with that though.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alyx also totally nailed that 'holy poo poo, you are INSIDE of some AAA sci-fi movie' feel for me. It was just so immersive and the level of detail is extraordinary.

The bit that got me was when you are loving around in that room with jeff trying to get some... things? And one of them is in a cupboard, but as soon as you open it a bottle starts rolling out so you instinctively grab it and catch it to avoid it making a noise

That was really impressive.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Last but not least, Alyx still has the absolute best way of picking up items from around the world with the whole flick-catch thing. It's not only much more convenient than manually bending over to pick stuff up, it turns a normally uninteresting gameplay interaction that you'd never spend a though on into something actually fun and rewarding.

That and the graphics is probably the one thing that did impress me about the game.

Hyperlynx posted:

and this (plus all the incredibly lovely and prolific horror sequences) is the reason why I ultimately liked Alyx less than Boneworks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone sell CV1 facial interfaces anymore? I need one that's a few millimeters wider, because my new glasses barely don't fit inside the headset.
If not then I guess I'll have to carve out some grooves inside the facial interface or something.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oooh, I wonder if you can use this in conjunction with a hotas? I’d like to steer the ship with it and still have a bunch of floating buttons for all of my functions.

I'm pretty sure you should be able to, yeah. The mod basically just gives you two virtual joysticks that you can bind controls to, there's nothing that should keep you from just ignoring one or both of them and just using your hotas binds instead.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Perestroika posted:

I'm pretty sure you should be able to, yeah. The mod basically just gives you two virtual joysticks that you can bind controls to, there's nothing that should keep you from just ignoring one or both of them and just using your hotas binds instead.

I tried, and it didn't really work out. It howled at me first to install the virtual joystick, then that the virtual joystick was disabled, and it didn't seem to accept my actual HOTAS input while running.

I did find an issue on the Github asking to remove the big "you need to install vjoy" warning, to which the author replied that they're focusing on getting it working entirely with virtual controls first and will only look at "hybrid" controls (as they put it) after that. Fair enough.

It did make me wonder if there is generic virtual button software out there. It would be super handy for gzdoomvr to put, like, a toolbelt of number keys out in front of me to select weapons with...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm seeing that Zenith has more ratings in the Quest store than previous record-setters (Onward, RE4VR, Blade & Sorcery). For example it did it better than Blade & Sorcery in total numbers despite being 50% more expensive (Zenith 4292 ratings after 2 weeks, B&S 3731 ratings in that timeframe, one it's $30 and the other $20).
I think it shows the ecosystem is growing, so if a game launches now and 3% of the people who have a Quest buys it, it will be more than if a game launched six months ago and the same 3% bought it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like years and years of media have built up "fantasy MMO" as what VR is. Everything from sword art online to kim possible had VR being a fantasy RPG. I think pretty much 90% of media makes putting a VR helmet mean going to some dungeons and dragons thing.

I think zenith is a neat little game, it's fine for the price, but I think a LOT of people bought it on the idea that it feels like the whole world is holding it's breath waiting for whatever becomes world of warcraft VR, where that will be the real start of VR. like even if zenith isn't that game, I think everyone will buy anything heading towards that one game that all media has shown VR as.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like years and years of media have built up "fantasy MMO" as what VR is. Everything from sword art online to kim possible had VR being a fantasy RPG. I think pretty much 90% of media makes putting a VR helmet mean going to some dungeons and dragons thing.

I think zenith is a neat little game, it's fine for the price, but I think a LOT of people bought it on the idea that it feels like the whole world is holding it's breath waiting for whatever becomes world of warcraft VR, where that will be the real start of VR. like even if zenith isn't that game, I think everyone will buy anything heading towards that one game that all media has shown VR as.

What people really want is just VRChat. Not even kidding.

There's all the talk about big open worlds, adventures, etc, etc, but really people just want neat places to go poke around with a customized avatar (or at least find one to their liking) and have a chill time of it, maybe meet some new people and play some games. Most of the time people aren't going to have the inclination to go fully-athletic roomscale for several hours on-end (or even have the room for it, both counts really killing anything SAO-esque stone-dead to begin with), they're just going to prod around rooms amd wpr;ds while seated and go "Oh neat; I'm in VR!" with wiggling fingers and rude gestures optional, depending on game and Index Controllers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What people really want is just VRChat. Not even kidding.

There's all the talk about big open worlds, adventures, etc, etc, but really people just want neat places to go poke around with a customized avatar (or at least find one to their liking) and have a chill time of it, maybe meet some new people and play some games. Most of the time people aren't going to have the inclination to go fully-athletic roomscale for several hours on-end (or even have the room for it, both counts really killing anything SAO-esque stone-dead to begin with), they're just going to prod around rooms amd wpr;ds while seated and go "Oh neat; I'm in VR!" with wiggling fingers and rude gestures optional, depending on game and Index Controllers.

I think people desperately want the Snow Crash or SAO worlds, but they're harder to make and require more imagination than VRChat to build, which is why nobody's done a good job of one yet

I think the initial success (it's definitely not dead or anything but it's settling into the post-hype phase) of Zenith can't really be dismissed, it pretty clearly demonstrated how badly people wish for those things. I think the VRChat people are a different demographic

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
like if you think about it (ignoring the murder part) SSO wouldn't actually be a fun game. none of the weird vague fictional games from media specifically would be.

But so so much media over the years have cribbed a very specific "you will put on a VR helmet then you will be a barbarian and a wizard and the girl with be an archer and you will stand in a market and the ground will be yellow" that I think everyone just wants that game now. I think if people got it it wouldn't really fill the dreams projected on it, but I still think anything that even hints at being that will outsell anything else until people get that game.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
pretty sure .hack as depicted in the show would be a great mmo but I am not holding my breath at all. Zenith had a big marketing push via streamers and reviewers, that might be where people are getting this idea that some thought it would be the next thing

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zenith at least has the fundamentals down, it's just all going to be down to can they build off those now.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

pretty sure .hack as depicted in the show would be a great mmo but I am not holding my breath at all. Zenith had a big marketing push via streamers and reviewers, that might be where people are getting this idea that some thought it would be the next thing

I feel like .hack was the exact same game as sword art online, I feel like every single fake MMO is that same basic game. It's like ultima online gameplay, sort of final fantasy dungeons and dragons aesthetic, then extremely unrealistic amounts of player characters being most of the NPCs and the concept of people being adventurers being a seemingly smaller part of the population while most people like, bake bread or else are part of guilds that have most people being castle guards or something.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I would pay a monthly subscription for a vr mmo that just let me be a baker. Talking to my regular customers, giving free samples to new adventurers, meeting people face to face and knowing that my work makes their day better

Guys I think working from home is killing my soul

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
people will happily play job simulator, farm simulator, powerwashing simulator etc... combat is only emphasized in mmo's because we just aren't that creative. There are some mmo's that break the trend but even in those combat is almost always the meat and potatoes of the game. Once the mmo genre starts to lean more on society simulation and less on murder simulation I think well get some interesting things

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

people will happily play job simulator, farm simulator, powerwashing simulator etc... combat is only emphasized in mmo's because we just aren't that creative. There are some mmo's that break the trend but even in those combat is almost always the meat and potatoes of the game. Once the mmo genre starts to lean more on society simulation and less on murder simulation I think well get some interesting things

Yeah, the closest you could really get is Final Fantasy XIV in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah absolutely I would do fantasy job in an MMO in a heartbeat. The closest I ever got was Tiny Speck's short-lived game Glitch, which had no combat and was purely cooperative and creative and I ran a little potion shop on my home street.

(before you say it, IIRC the main reason it didn't work out was it was a flash game in the dying days of flash, not because no one wants a nice peaceful craft game)